• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grilled Chicken Penne Al Fresco

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a way to make a popular recipe, chicken fajita pasta, as a "one-pot cooking" dish. Suggestions were made to cook the chicken separately before adding it to the pasta, using precooked chicken, or grilling extra chicken to have on hand. Some also shared their methods of cooking the chicken in the Deep Covered Baker or using the Salad Choppers for easy chopping. The overall consensus was that this dish can be made in one pot with a little bit of prep work and adjustments.
krahema
Has anyone figured out a way to do this as "one-pot cooking"? I tried the recipe last night & loved it - we grilled the chicken breasts, using some of the lemon pepper rub on them. It was delicious & I will definitely make it again.

But, I'm thinking about show presentation, and would love to find a way to cook it all in "one pot". Not sure if there is a way. The chicken fajita recipe goes over so well, b/c it is all cooked in the DCB. I don't think you could put the chicken on top of the penne though, b/c you would end up boiling the chicken in the broth, which doesn't sound too appetizing to me!

Maybe cook the chicken first, with the garlic & tomatoes? If anyone has any thoughts, they would be much appreciated :)

Thanks!

I"m sure you could cook the chicken w the tomatoes and garlic, you'd have to put the chicken in for a few minutes longer though probably, unless they were cut into bite size pieces. Instead of chicken, I add frozen Italian meatballs (thawed beforehand) to my penne pasta, and it cooks the last 5 minutes. I'd consider that "one pot" cooking. It is delicious.

I always grill a few pieces of chicken every time we grill out. I put it in freezer bags and when we want GCPAF, we already have the chicken. Also, in the lunchmeat section of the grocery store, you can buy packages of precooked chicken, but I am too cheap to do that!!

shelly.nurse said:
I always grill a few pieces of chicken every time we grill out. I put it in freezer bags and when we want GCPAF, we already have the chicken. Also, in the lunchmeat section of the grocery store, you can buy packages of precooked chicken, but I am too cheap to do that!!

I do this too! Not so much for the GCPAF, but because I'm also too cheap. :D We wood/charcoal grill, and I hate to waste all those coals for just a couple pieces of meat, so I always grill 2-3 meals worth at a time. It also gives us grilled-flavored meals, without getting the coals burning all the time.

We love the Cool & Crunchy Chicken Tacos as a salad, and it's especially good with grilled chicken, so we love to use the grilled chicken for for that!

shelly.nurse said:

Thanks everyone! I think this is the approach I will take during my shows. One thing everyone loves about the DCB is the convenience of it all. I don't want people to get caught up in thinking it would take additional steps - although I didn't think it was too bad to grill up a few chicken breasts while the pasta was cooking in the micro.

When I make this at home I cook the chicken in the DCB (frozen chicken brest) with the Sun-Dried Tomato Herb seasoning, chop it up with the salad choppers and then put it aside on a paper plate (use SA if its a show or the batter bowl) and then make the recipe as is until you need chicken. At shows so far I've only made it once and we used a cooked chicken.

PamperedSD said:
When I make this at home I cook the chicken in the DCB (frozen chicken brest) with the Sun-Dried Tomato Herb seasoning, chop it up with the salad choppers and then put it aside on a paper plate (use SA if its a show or the batter bowl) and then make the recipe as is until you need chicken. At shows so far I've only made it once and we used a cooked chicken.

This is basically what I do. I use the DCB, and then at the show, I make sure to let everyone know that I cooked the chicken breast in the DCB. If i make it at home, I cook the chicken and then just dumped the liquid it out and work the rest of the recipe. One pot. :)

For those that cook the chicken in the DCB first, how long do you put the chicken in the micro?

Thx.

The recipe I have you cook the chicken in the DCB. Take it out and cook the tomatoes, then add the rest of the ingredents. In fact my 12 year old daughter made this for supper last night while I was at Zumba. We love it!

ChefBeckyD said:
I do this too! Not so much for the GCPAF, but because I'm also too cheap. :D We wood/charcoal grill, and I hate to waste all those coals

And she's only Dutch by marriage. :D

I cooked 5.5 lbs of chicken thighs (boneless skinless) at a show Monday night - thats the package the hostess bought - so I just cooked all of it but the last serving before everyone got there so that her and her hubby could have all the leftovers already cooked! Anyways....I put 3 thighs in at a time and microwaved them for 8 minutes....then just checked them with the digital thermometer to make sure they were done enough! Only one actually required a few more minutes and it had 4 thighs in it!

chefjeanine said:
And she's only Dutch by marriage. :D

SmileyLOL01.gif

When i make this at shows I bring the grill pan/press and a portable burner and cook the chicken using the sun dried tomato seasoning. When it's done I pass the cooked chicken around in the 4 qt SS bowl with the salad choppers and have the guests chop it up.

Oh I SO wish I had the sundried seasoning ... I usually make it with the italian seasoning or (gasp!) plain!I need to stock up on my chicken so I can pre-grill a bunch of it and freeze ... I have had 2 recipes this week that called for diced chicken and I had to whip out the Foreman. (gasp!)

RCKmom said:
The recipe I have you cook the chicken in the DCB. Take it out and cook the tomatoes, then add the rest of the ingredents. In fact my 12 year old daughter made this for supper last night while I was at Zumba. We love it!

I would love to make this for my show on Saturday. Can you please share your recipe?

I have not done this recipe at a show for some time. Was thinking that we could always do the grill pan/press at a show to grill up a couple of chicken breasts in 10 minutes?Talk about the cookware while it is going. Or have it going while everyone arrives and then explain how it is done?I only use 2 chicken breasts for the recipe and add in a can of artichoke hearts!haha, just read Debbie's quote...it is late on my end!

I usually cook the chicken in the grill pan w/ the press with either the Italian seasoning or the Sundried Tomato seasoning. It's a great way to promote that pan/the cookware in general. Sometimes I make the Garlic Biscuit Bites as a second recipe to go along with it. If that's the case, sometimes I do the chicken in the DCB first. That way they still see cookware, and also get to see that chicken in the DCB can be good. I just do the chicken in the DCB with either of those 2 seasonings and then cut up with the salad choppers and then toss them into a bowl. Then after the rest of the recipe is done, I throw the chicken back on when I add the Parmesan. If the chicken has cooled down too much, I add it in at a point towards the end and microwave it for a minute.

When the DCB was still host only and we were jsut starting the frenzy known as Chicken Your Way, I had to wrap my brain around a different way to prepare the Grilled Penne as well as the Chicken Picatta...I didn't want to haul both the DCB and the Grill Pan/Press. Here's what I have been doing:
Grill the chicken during the show, set aside. Add the tomatoes for Grilled Penne and let them roast for a minute. Add broth to the pan and get all of the yummy fond off the bottom. Add in the angel hair pasta and cook until pasta is done...about 4 minutes. While pasta is cooking, chop up chicken and place in large Dots round bowl. Add in rest of ingredients to the pasta in the pan except chicken. When all incorporated, pour over chicken and toss to mix.
The pan is amazingly easy to clean up, I get to show a ton of product and EVERY single time I have done one of these 2 recipes, I sell a Grill Pan/Press at full price. Every time. It's funny, the DCB used to be a huge seller for me - I sold over 100 from Jan-June of last year. But when it came back and I started using it again, I haven't sold nearly as many - only 8 since November 1st. I really, really think that when people see that you can still prepare 1 dish meals in the Grill Pan, they fully see the value of the pan/press.

I didn't read responses but I wanted to say that my director just did my Grand Opening and did this recipe. She cooked the chicken in the DCB for 9 minutes by itself (diced), then took it out and put it in a mixing bowl with broth while she put the tomatoes and garlic in the DCB for another 9 minutes... then put it all together and added the penne for another 19 minutes. All basically in one pot :) And the chicken was yummy!

PamperedSD said:

This is what I do as well. I've done it at quite a few shows and it's always a hit. I got started doing it this way because when I first began I didn't have the grill pan.

I like to buy the IQF (individual quick frozen) chicken tenderloin. I can take several out of the freezer, place them in the DCB without even thawing, season and microwave for about 10 minutes. They turn out perfect!

I always did the 30min chicken when I first arrived. Then I would cut up chick (saving rest for host) and use the juices in the DCB as the broth. I explained to the guests how i cooked the chicken before they arrived. Then did recipe as directed.

krahema said:
For those that cook the chicken in the DCB first, how long do you put the chicken in the micro?

Thx.

I cook two chicken breasts for 6 minutes in the DCB, then drain the juice, remove the chicken and reserve until the chicken is needed....then I proceed with the recipe. My whole family (including my picky eater) LOVE this dish.

Oops.... I didn't realize I had already replied.

1. How do I make the Grilled Chicken Penne Al Fresco?

To make the Grilled Chicken Penne Al Fresco, you will need chicken breast, penne pasta, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and grated Parmesan cheese. Start by grilling the chicken breast and cooking the penne pasta according to package instructions. In a separate pan, sauté the cherry tomatoes, garlic, and basil in olive oil. Once the tomatoes are soft, add in the cooked pasta and chicken, then toss it all together. Serve hot with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top.

2. Can I use a different type of pasta for this dish?

Yes, you can use any type of pasta you prefer for this dish. However, penne pasta works best as its shape allows it to hold onto the sauce and other ingredients well. You can also use whole wheat or gluten-free pasta if you have dietary restrictions.

3. How can I make this dish vegetarian-friendly?

To make this dish vegetarian-friendly, simply omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can also add in some grilled vegetables, such as zucchini and bell peppers, for extra flavor and nutrients.

4. Can I make this dish ahead of time?

Yes, you can make this dish ahead of time and reheat it when ready to serve. Simply store the cooked pasta and chicken in separate containers in the fridge. When ready to serve, reheat the pasta and chicken in a pan, add in the sautéed tomatoes and basil, and toss everything together. You can also add a splash of chicken broth to prevent the dish from drying out.

5. What can I serve with the Grilled Chicken Penne Al Fresco?

This dish pairs well with a fresh salad, garlic bread, or roasted vegetables. You can also serve it with a glass of white wine for a complete and delicious meal. Feel free to get creative and add your own side dishes to complement the flavors of the dish.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Loveh20mi
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • Debbie.A.NOC