• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Gluten-Free Cooking for Show: Ideas Needed!

In summary, the author would not risk using a stone that may have gluten on it for a demonstration and suggests testing a recipe out first. The author would do something in the cookware and make sure the host is aware of what is safe. There are many gluten free products and pasta at specialty stores. The author suggests asking the host to buy the ingredients. The author thinks having the host do the cooking instead of the author would be more comfortable.
jilly
I have a show coming up and the host and a few members of her family just recently found out they have Celiac's Disease. I was thinking I would do the Chicken Penne Al Fresco in the DCB, but does anyone have any experience in gluten free cooking? Also, if anyone any gluten free dessert ideas I can show as a quick #2 recipe that would be great as well.

Thanks!

if someone has celiac, I wouldn't risk using a stone. There could be gluten still on it/in it from previous recipes. I would do something in the cookware and make sure you ask the host about what is safe/not safe. I have no idea how to cook gluten free!

jilly said:
I have a show coming up and the host and a few members of her family just recently found out they have Celiac's Disease. I was thinking I would do the Chicken Penne Al Fresco in the DCB, but does anyone have any experience in gluten free cooking? Also, if anyone any gluten free dessert ideas I can show as a quick #2 recipe that would be great as well.

Thanks!

They cannot have pasta. You will need to make something without flour. Actually something like the Jerk Chicken Natchos would be great, but like Debdie said, you will have to use a new stone.....HTH

There are a lot of gluten free products/pasta at specialty stores. Fairway, Trader Joes have these items. I would ask a pharmacist and/or specialty drug store about the stone. i would think having it in the oven would kill off everything.

Just as a heads up, Gluten Free pasta is made with rice flour normally. No gluten in it. That said, timing is sometimes different. Test the recipe out before hand soyou get the timing down right.I have a daughter who is allergic to gluten and even she points out that some gluten free products are a very poor substitute for the real thing.

Better yet, give the grocery list for the demo to the host, and have her get her own ingredients. She will know best what can be used and what can't. There are also gluten free cake and brownie mixes, and she'll know about those too.

Thank you for the suggestions. This is a past host of mine, so I am comfortable talking to her about if she needs the cookware/stoneware gluten free etc. If it can't have been used with something with gluten in it, I have a spare that a family member hasn't used at all yet.Also, I know she can have pasta, you just have to get the gluten free pasta. I'm sure she can help to point me to the "good stuff". I just didn't want to ask her 1,000 questions and make her think that this was a hassle for me, because if she thinks that she'll tell me not to worry about it.

If you feel uncomfortable asking, put it like this and think of it like this: "You know this a great time for me to learn something new. Would you mind guiding me through shopping and food products and equipment that I need to use? This will be a good thing to know when I do any future shows for you. It will help too if I should run across this again in the future at another show."

Not all of our spices and rubs are gluten free - need to be careful of those things.My niece has Celiac Disease and we wrap the stones in foil before using them when she's around. You can just let the guests know why you're doing it and they totally understand.I also agree with asking the host to buy the ingredients so that she's the one being responsible for that part. And you need to be careful because it's not just items with wheat that have gluten in them - it's in a lot of stuff that would surprise you!

Ain't that the truth! I picked up a box of chicken broth. I was looking at the sodium content but low and behold, gluten was listed in the ingredients! Who knew! I just did this tonight in fact after reading this thread this afternoon. I was very surprised!

Why couldn't you scrub your stone really well with the baking soda paste to get rid of any residual gluten on your stone before using it. I clean mine all the time with baking soda paste, per a post from a previous person?

I would definately test it out first with the GF product prior to using it in a demo, what if it doesn't work right?? I think this would be a case where I offer to obtain the ingredients for the host and have her reimburse me.

Last edited:
Ginger428 said:
They cannot have pasta. You will need to make something without flour. Actually something like the Jerk Chicken Natchos would be great, but like Debdie said, you will have to use a new stone.....HTH
I wish people would stop thinking that "pasta" means gluten. I guarantee that I could find several things in the Jerk Chicken Nachos (including the nachos) that are not GF.As a GF family, it's really disheartening when individuals just don't read the label. Item's are now labeled "GF" just as any item is labeled "whole weat", "sugar free", etc. We don't like to eat salad all the time and many of the things that people put in salad are NOT GF!Yes, be careful because most of the rubs, etc that I have seen contain Gluten. [edit] I make this recipe frequently for DH and I. Use GF pasta and GF chicken broth in a GF stone. [/edit]"A gluten-free diet is a diet completely free of ingredients: wheat (including kamut and spelt), barley, rye, and triticale, as well as the use of gluten as a food additive in the form of a flavoring, stabilizing or thickening agent.

Last edited:
I did a gluten free show back in Sept. The host and her girls all have celiac. I did the 30 minute chicken in a new DCB along with veggies sprinkled with a seasoning that is gluten free on the metal sheet pan along with Tilapia sprinkled with the Creole Rub. I also did a show after that for her daughter. The Loaded Baked Potato Chowder is celiac friendly. I agree though not all of our seasoning are gluten free. There was some gluten free recipes on this site a while back. Try any of those also.

robochick84 said:
I wish people would stop thinking that "pasta" means gluten. I guarantee that I could find several things in the Jerk Chicken Nachos (including the nachos) that are not GF.

As a GF family, it's really disheartening when individuals just don't read the label. Item's are now labeled "GF" just as any item is labeled "whole weat", "sugar free", etc. We don't like to eat salad all the time and many of the things that people put in salad are NOT GF!

Yes, be careful because most of the rubs, etc that I have seen contain Gluten.

[edit] I make this recipe frequently for DH and I. Use GF pasta and GF chicken broth in a GF stone. [/edit]

"A gluten-free diet is a diet completely free of ingredients: wheat (including kamut and spelt), barley, rye, and triticale, as well as the use of gluten as a food additive in the form of a flavoring, stabilizing or thickening agent.

Honestly - people who don't have to eat GF will probably never take the time to read every label to see if it's gluten free, and the vast majority of pasta in the grocery store IS gluten.

My feeling for GF hosts is to give them the ingredient list, and have them get the appropriate ingredients. How hard is that? I do it for all my other hosts, so why not the GF hosts?

You could do the 30 minute chicken and omit the flour from the recipe.

I have Celiac Disease and the best gluten-free noodles I have used thus far are Tinkyada noodles. They taste, look, and feel (texturally) the most like glutenous noodles. :)

ChefBeckyD said:
Honestly - people who don't have to eat GF will probably never take the time to read every label to see if it's gluten free, and the vast majority of pasta in the grocery store IS gluten.

My feeling for GF hosts is to give them the ingredient list, and have them get the appropriate ingredients. How hard is that? I do it for all my other hosts, so why not the GF hosts?

I completely agree! I think that was hidden in my post somewhere, that those whom are GF can eat just about the same things today as everyone else, it just has to be specific ingredients in order to make the same recipe.

As a past host (before consultant) I was more than happy to go looking for the ingredients to have a GF show, but my consultant also offered me the option for "regular" recipe's I just made the substitutions, she didn't assume that we couldn't eat anything and just made the usual (meat, salad, etc)!

What are the best ingredients to use for gluten-free cooking?

The best ingredients to use for gluten-free cooking are those that are naturally gluten-free, such as rice, quinoa, corn, and potatoes. You can also use gluten-free flours like almond, coconut, or chickpea flour.

How can I make my gluten-free dishes more flavorful?

To add more flavor to your gluten-free dishes, you can use herbs, spices, and seasonings. You can also use flavorful ingredients like garlic, onions, and citrus fruits to enhance the taste of your dishes.

What are some meal ideas for a gluten-free show?

Some meal ideas for a gluten-free show include quinoa salads, gluten-free pasta dishes, vegetable stir-fries with rice, roasted chicken with vegetables, and grilled fish with a side of roasted vegetables.

Can I use regular kitchen utensils and appliances for gluten-free cooking?

Yes, you can use regular kitchen utensils and appliances for gluten-free cooking. Just make sure to thoroughly clean them before use to avoid cross-contamination with gluten-containing ingredients.

How can I make sure my gluten-free show is safe for those with celiac disease?

To ensure your gluten-free show is safe for those with celiac disease, make sure to carefully read labels and avoid cross-contamination with gluten-containing ingredients. You can also consult with a certified gluten-free chef for tips and advice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kristina16marie
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • 1PamperedMommy
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
  • AKJess