• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grilled Chicken Penne Al Fresco

In summary, the recipe was delicious, but some people had issues with the runniness.cooked Rigatoni and Mezze Penne the same way and the pasta was too watery with Rigatoni, but perfect with Mezze Penne. Add a bit of pasta for second try if runniness is an issue.
esavvymom
Staff member
I tried this last night at the request of my son who wanted to "Try a new recipe" and he liked the picture on the cover of the SB.

It was delicious!! My 8yr old son and DH went back for seconds, and even my picky 5yr old son ate it and loved it.

Cook Tips: :chef:
when you cook the cherry tomatoes and get to the step with the Mix-n-chop..BE CAREFUL! Those puppies are HOT when they burst open. So don't just smash at them with the MNC. CAREFULLY pop those babies. I had a few squirt me, and since they were microwaved,, they are HOT!!!! :eek: I burnt my wrist doing that. And wear your apron.

I used just chicken broth, no wine. I substituted the extra 3/4 cup chicken broth for the wine as noted in the recipe tips. It was pretty runny with extra liquid, but that may get soaked up with the leftovers. But it didn't ruin the dish- just meant serve it with a slotted spoon. :D

WW pts- for anyone interested: 5pts for 1 cup. Not bad!! Add a slice of garlic bread for 2-3 pts and a salad for a great healthy meal!

I agree very yummy. Hubby wasn't a fan though. He likes pasta more saucy.

StacieB said:

That was the consensus at my house. We're all saucy folks.:D

StacieB said:

I tried it with a can of crushed tomatoes it seemed to have more sauce!;)

I heard someone say they added alfredo sauce at the end, sounds good. Would it work better on the tomato issue if you cut them in half before microwaving?

I cooked the 1st time with Rigatoni, and the 2nd time Mezze Penne like the recipe called for...had too much liquid with the Rigatoni, but very little with the penne...I did add a bit more pasta the 2nd go round though.

I agree the tomatoes can be problematic...at my show, the juice hit the wall. Luckily the host laughed it off...I think in the future I'll cook 1 more minute on the tomatoes in hopes more will burst in the microwave instead of on the wall! LOL

This was the 1st recipe I cooked at home with the DCB & I had the same 'runny' issue. My hubby said I can cook it again b/c we added LOTS of garlic which made it wonderful but I had to figure out something with the runniness.

I haden't thought about doing this at a show...seems like quite a bit of work for a show, maybe thats because I'm a newbie.

StacieB said:
I'm normally a saucy pasta person but I loved this recipe!As for the runiness, after it sat for a while, it was better.Someone also recommended in our group to make sure to cook the tomatoes until they burst that way you don't have to worry about them burning you!

I'll try the tomato thing next time- since I think I only had them in the micro about 2.5-3 minutes...since the recipe "until" they start to burst. I heard them popping, so thought it was ok.But as far as the runniness- it definitely is NOT a factor for leftovers. It was still moist-enough, but no juices. They were absorbed into the pasta, and the dish was just as good the second time around. Obviously at a show, you probably won't have leftovers. :DOh, and I had used a macaroni noodle- not elbow, it was called something else- it was long- with just a SLIGHT curve- almost straight noodle, but not quite- maybe an 1" long, so very similar to penne.

1. What ingredients do I need to make Grilled Chicken Penne Al Fresco?

To make this dish, you will need:

• 8 oz penne pasta
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 cup fresh spinach
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

2. Can I use a different type of pasta instead of penne?

Yes, you can use any type of pasta you prefer. However, penne works well with this dish because its shape allows it to hold onto the sauce and other ingredients.

3. How do I cook the chicken for this recipe?

To cook the chicken, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Brush the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder, dried basil, salt, and pepper. Grill for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until fully cooked. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before slicing it into strips.

4. Can I make this dish vegetarian?

Yes, you can make a vegetarian version of Grilled Chicken Penne Al Fresco by omitting the chicken and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can also add extra vegetables, such as bell peppers or zucchini, to make it more filling.

5. How do I store leftovers of this dish?

Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, you can either microwave it or heat it up in a pan on the stove. Add a splash of chicken or vegetable broth to prevent it from drying out.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Loveh20mi
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • krahema
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Amyskitchen2
  • Debbie.A.NOC