• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grill Pan Advice - Help Me Love It!

In summary, you can use the splatter screen open on the grill press to avoid splattering. You also should use the tenderizer on your chicken if it is fat.
esavvymom
Staff member
So when you guys cook chicken (or other items using the press), how do you keep it from making a MESS all over the stove?! It splatters so bad. (cooking over medium heat @about 6). I do drizzle some oil on it, then add my rub. Today, I used the splatter screen across one half- so that helped. But when using the press, I can't use the splatter screen open (I'd have to have two, and use them folded- one on either side of the handle).

Also, do you always use the meat tenderizer to flatten your chicken? A "regular" breast can be quite fat...and the cooktime is alot longer than they say. Today, I got the outside done well, but then ended up putting the chicken breasts in my small ridged baker and finished the 2 min in the microwave. I really want to love my grill pan, but it's so messy! Help?!

You can use the splatter screen open - just put the hinge point on the handle of the grill press (the hinge and the handle lined up the same way). Works great that way - I thought that's why it was hinged once i figured it out. I've not used the meat tenderizer before on my chicken. Just slap it on the grill and keep an eye on the temp.

I've never had it splatter! If you want to use oil, I'd use the spritzer and just spritz a little of oil on it. I've never used the tenderizer and I've just stuck with the 5 mins a side and it seems to always cook well.

Using the spritzer will help use just the right amount of oil so it doesn't spatter. If the breasts are big, I either fillet them or use the tenderizer. It's much better to just take a minute and do that...you'll be a lot happier with the results, it'll cook more evenly and take less time.

I get a ton of splatter when I do hamburgers, but not so much with chicken

I buy chicken breasts then filet them in half. This way, you still get a good portion of meat per person and your cook time is literally cut in half (get it? Lol, cut in half? Sorry, I couldn't resist :) ). It also saves my family quite a bit of money since we buy the large packs of chicken, filet them up, and freeze them in packs of 4.

I haven't had any issues with splatter which may be due to using smaller pieces of meat. Good luck!!!

I always use the tenderizer so they cook evenly. Well, that's not exacty true. When I'm in a hurry and don't use the tenderizer I regret it about 15 minutes later.
:blushing:

I spritz the chicken; no oil goes into the pan directly. Not much splatter.

Ok. I will try these tips. :) Thanks!Do you think it matters if I am using the old version of the grill pan vs our current version? I have the last generation pan that I bought from someone used.

I slice the chicken in half as well -- makes something more like chicken cutlets, they cook faster, and we don't eat as much meat. Also, instead of putting oil in the pan, I brush it directly on each breast with the basting brush. I think I use less oil that way and all the oil is directly on the chicken instead of spattering in a hot pan.

While the breasts are still on the cutting board, I brush one side with oil and sprinkle the rub on, then put that side down in the pan. Before I put the press on, I brush the top with oil and sprinkle the rub on it too. Yes, a little oil and rub stay on the press when I flip them, but not enough to notice you've lost anything.

I love the Grill Pan and have sold both my mom and sister on it. I have only used it at a show once, but it made the most perfect chicken for the Chicken, Avocado and Grapefruit Salad -- everyone loved how moist it was.

Shari in TX

I drizzle a little oil in the pan and preheat it, then add the chicken. I have a gas stove and cook it at 6 or 7 on my stove. Once it's browned I turn it down to about 5 to finish cooking through. I don't have a splatter problem either. Maybe you're using too much oil or maybe you need to turn the heat down a notch? Could be your stove might be hotter than others.

Put the oil on the chicken and not in the pan. And yes, I'd recommend the tenderizer and, like someone told me, put a little oil in a bag with the chicken. That means no gunk flying everywhere!

I flatten the chicken with the tenderizer, and then use my kitchen spritzer to spray just a little bit of olive oil on my chicken. I've never had a problem with splattering! If you don't have a kitchen spritzer, you can just brush a little bit of oil on the chicken with the silicone brush.

Ok, I was brave and used the grill pan at a show last weekend even though it smokes out my house every time when I cook with it on LOW. My host also had a gas stove and we cooked the chicken on Medium with just the rub and zero oil. It came out PERFECT and I wasn't even watching it!

Conclusion: My commercial gas stove just gets too hot (it boils water on the low setting). I'm going to give it another shot on the extra-low setting and see if it works. If not, I suppose I'll buy a hot plate for when I want to use my grill pan. Ugh!

So I used it for steaks. It cooked just fine, but barbecuing just tastes better to me ;)
I used it for bacon yesterday. That worked well. For both I had used the splatter screen without the press. I haven't cooked chicken in it since the last post about it, but I will try to fillet the breasts (don't have the tenderizer yet).Thanks for all of the tips.

I use my tenderizer to flatten it too. That really helps, plus I forgot to brush oil on them and they came out just great! Also, here are some tips from Robin House on Grill Pan ideas:

So for breakfast, let’s make a breakfast quesadilla or cinnamon toast in the Grill Pan. Or use it for French toast, and the toast won’t be all soggy in the milk mixture. Bacon is amazing! Put the Press on top and the bacon won’t curl up on you. And while you cook, pack the
kids’ lunches. Now that is efficient!

For lunch, how about grilled cheese, paninis, or even hot dogs. Yes, hot dogs even taste fabulous – much different than boiling or microwaving, and you can toast the buns, too.

For dinner, you can do hamburger, steaks, pork, seafood … and you have not had shrimp till you have it on our Grill Pan. Of course, chicken is amazing, and after making your chicken, try grilling asparagus, or sautéing potatoes and onions. You can even make miniature kabobs!

And then there is dessert. This is so easy, you won’t believe it! Grilled pineapple, peaches, nectarines — they are all delicious. And if you have a pound cake that’s a few days old, here’s what you do. Cut it into slices, butter it, then toast in the Grill Pan. The inside is tender, out-of-the-oven warm, and the outside is slightly toasted, slightly crispy, buttery…YUM!

So excited! Finally tried the grill pan again on extra low setting. Five minutes on each side and the chicken came out perfect! I can finally use my grill pan now without any worries of smoke alarms going off; a whole new world just opened for me...

kristina16marie said:
I use my tenderizer to flatten it too. That really helps, plus I forgot to brush oil on them and they came out just great! Also, here are some tips from Robin House on Grill Pan ideas:

So for breakfast, let’s make a breakfast quesadilla or cinnamon toast in the Grill Pan. Or use it for French toast, and the toast won’t be all soggy in the milk mixture. Bacon is amazing! Put the Press on top and the bacon won’t curl up on you. And while you cook, pack the
kids’ lunches. Now that is efficient!

For lunch, how about grilled cheese, paninis, or even hot dogs. Yes, hot dogs even taste fabulous – much different than boiling or microwaving, and you can toast the buns, too.

For dinner, you can do hamburger, steaks, pork, seafood … and you have not had shrimp till you have it on our Grill Pan. Of course, chicken is amazing, and after making your chicken, try grilling asparagus, or sautéing potatoes and onions. You can even make miniature kabobs!

And then there is dessert. This is so easy, you won’t believe it! Grilled pineapple, peaches, nectarines — they are all delicious. And if you have a pound cake that’s a few days old, here’s what you do. Cut it into slices, butter it, then toast in the Grill Pan. The inside is tender, out-of-the-oven warm, and the outside is slightly toasted, slightly crispy, buttery…YUM!

Wow, I think I'll memorize this as a speech and use it at my next show!

I don't have the grill pan, but everything you said makes me want one.

The grilled portabello bruschetta is a great way to show off the grill pan, and it's yummy!

so I didn't read this first.....put oil on the grill pan...not much, but still splattered, some.
That said, the chicken is yum and so tender! did not tenderize them first

I have a horrible time with the grill press. I try to use it for hamburgers which helps greatly with the splattering but the raw burger sticks to the press and when you go to flip the burger it rips in half. Then the press is horrible to clean. Am I doing something wrong or did I get a bad press???

kvossy said:
I have a horrible time with the grill press. I try to use it for hamburgers which helps greatly with the splattering but the raw burger sticks to the press and when you go to flip the burger it rips in half. Then the press is horrible to clean. Am I doing something wrong or did I get a bad press???

Are you preheating the press? Sometimes when I do chicken, it will stick to the press, but it comes off with just a little touch with the tongs.

I haven't had any issues with burgers, though. What % fat are they? Are they super-lean maybe? If so, then maybe you need to spritz them with a little oil before you set the press on it?

I actually don't like to use the press on burgers because it seems like it pushes all the yummy juices out of the meat. They cook so fast that I don't think it's needed, but you're right in that it does help to cut down the spattering.

Thank you so much for examples. Do you happen to know how much time for anything over than chicken. I got that done to an art. I have got to say the chicken is awesome. Would like to be able to give my hosts some items to use. The bacon with the press is fantastic, that was the first time I used my pan.

I've done frozen Costco burgers..roughly 4 minutes per side..

spritz your pan with garlic infused canola oil its sooooo good!

1. How do I properly season my grill pan?

To season your grill pan, start by washing it with warm, soapy water and drying it thoroughly. Then, apply a thin layer of cooking oil to the surface of the pan using a paper towel. Place the pan in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour. After it has cooled, wipe away any excess oil and your grill pan is ready to use!

2. Can I use metal utensils on my grill pan?

Yes, you can use metal utensils on your grill pan. However, be careful not to scrape the surface too harshly as it may cause damage. It's best to use silicone or wooden utensils to prolong the life of your pan.

3. How do I clean my grill pan?

To clean your grill pan, allow it to cool down completely before washing it with warm, soapy water. Use a soft sponge or cloth to gently scrub away any food residue. Do not use abrasive cleaners or steel wool as they can damage the non-stick surface. You can also place your pan in the dishwasher, but hand washing is recommended for best results.

4. Can I use my grill pan on an induction cooktop?

Yes, our grill pans are compatible with all types of cooktops, including induction. Just make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for your specific cooktop to ensure proper heating and cooking.

5. How do I prevent food from sticking to my grill pan?

To prevent food from sticking to your grill pan, make sure to properly preheat it before adding your food. You can also lightly coat the pan with cooking oil or use a cooking spray. Avoid overcrowding the pan and try to flip your food only once to prevent it from breaking apart.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JanisF
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • trps