• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grill Pan Chicken Video on Consultant Corner: Cooking Tips and Tricks

not the press.Has anyone seen the new video on Consultant Corner--the one featuring the grill pan/press and chicken cutlets? I love it, and next month it will be available on Facebook.One question for all you professional food service workers: the video shows the grill press on top of the RAW chicken. The chicken is flipped and the grill press is put on top of the COOKED part. Now my food service experience tells me that the grill press would still be contaminated from the raw chicken. What do you think?Did you notice at the beginning, when they were preheating the grill & the press together? I'm wondering if by preheating it - it's essentially cooking the
PamperedchefDaly
Gold Member
Has anyone seen the new video on Consultant Corner--the one featuring the grill pan/press and chicken cutlets? I love it, and next month it will be available on Facebook.

One question for all you professional food service workers: the video shows the grill press on top of the RAW chicken. The chicken is flipped and the grill press is put on top of the COOKED part. Now my food service experience tells me that the grill press would still be contaminated from the raw chicken. What do you think?

I cook chicken like this all the time. The grill press gets hot and it has never been an issue.

PamperedchefDaly said:
Has anyone seen the new video on Consultant Corner--the one featuring the grill pan/press and chicken cutlets? I love it, and next month it will be available on Facebook.

One question for all you professional food service workers: the video shows the grill press on top of the RAW chicken. The chicken is flipped and the grill press is put on top of the COOKED part. Now my food service experience tells me that the grill press would still be contaminated from the raw chicken. What do you think?

Did you notice at the beginning, when they were preheating the grill & the press together? I'm wondering if by preheating it - it's essentially cooking the top when they put it on there?

I did wonder about that too though....If I'm cooking meat from raw, I don't put the press on until I flip it - but I've never preheated the press before either.

I just emailed the test kitchens to ask about preheating the press and the raw chicken issue. I'll let you know what I hear back.

I must have been too busy laughing at the video to notice that! Is it just me or was it pretty corny...cute, but corny?

DebbieJ said:
I just emailed the test kitchens to ask about preheating the press and the raw chicken issue. I'll let you know what I hear back.

That's a good idea--thanks!

To me, touching the grill press to the cooked side is like putting cooked meat on the same platter that held raw meat.

I have always preheated the press so I guess I never thought about this. I thought we were supposed to preheat it... I especially love that when cooking thin pork chops... it makes it really fast and keeps them nice and juicy.

Looking forward to hearing the answer. I don't have the grill press yet but have wanted it. However, I am a bit discouraged from all the bad reviews on it with warranty issues, etc.

I can understand what you are saying from contamination, but then part of me thinks it's overreacting a little bit. I've always preheated my grill press and I've never gotten sick from doing chicken that way.Also, let's say you're browning chicken in a pan. You are using your spoon/mix n' scraper/whatever to move the chicken in the pan, and that chicken is raw. While it's cooking, parts of it are still raw and you're moving it around, letting it touch the raw parts. After it's cooked, I bet 90% (or more) of people dish out the cooked chicken with that same tool that they used to cook it with. Isn't that basically the same thing? Or would you say the heat from cooking has killed any bacteria? If so, preheating the grill press would do the same thing, I'd think.

leftymac said:
I can understand what you are saying from contamination, but then part of me thinks it's overreacting a little bit. I've always preheated my grill press and I've never gotten sick from doing chicken that way.Also, let's say you're browning chicken in a pan. You are using your spoon/mix n' scraper/whatever to move the chicken in the pan, and that chicken is raw. While it's cooking, parts of it are still raw and you're moving it around, letting it touch the raw parts. After it's cooked, I bet 90% (or more) of people dish out the cooked chicken with that same tool that they used to cook it with. Isn't that basically the same thing? Or would you say the heat from cooking has killed any bacteria? If so, preheating the grill press would do the same thing, I'd think.
See - that's my question. I don't really have a problem with it if the grill press is preheated, but I thought we weren't supposed to preheat the grill press???In fact, I just went and checked it out - and this is directly from the PIG on CC....Cook’s Tips:
The Grill Press should not be preheated before use. Even though the press has ridges on the surface, the sear marks
on grilled food come from the Grill Pan, not the press. Food must be turned once to produce sear marks on each
side.
• Use the press with bacon, sausage, chicken, burgers and vegetables

Last edited:
ChefBeckyD said:
See - that's my question. I don't really have a problem with it if the grill press is preheated, but I thought we weren't supposed to preheat the grill press???

Well, now that there is an endorsed video saying to preheat it, I say you're free to preheat. And, if the grill press gets ruined by preheating (it's made of cast iron..I don't see how it would), you've got enough leg to stand on b/c of their silly chicken video.

(On a side not, my favorite part of the video is how all of the test kitchen chefs look like they'd rather be doing ANYTHING but that video)

leftymac said:
Well, now that there is an endorsed video saying to preheat it, I say you're free to preheat. And, if the grill press gets ruined by preheating (it's made of cast iron..I don't see how it would), you've got enough leg to stand on b/c of their silly chicken video.

(On a side not, my favorite part of the video is how all of the test kitchen chefs look like they'd rather be doing ANYTHING but that video)

Especially the tall guy - hilarious! Even Lisa is having a hard time smiling throughout the video. :D

ChefBeckyD said:
Especially the tall guy - hilarious! Even Lisa is having a hard time smiling throughout the video. :D

They suggest doing it for shows. I'm sorry but I think that'd be the lamest demonstration ever.

DebbieJ said:

I just emailed them too - I figured that if they heard from several people there is a better chance of it being addressed company wide.

leftymac said:
They suggest doing it for shows. I'm sorry but I think that'd be the lamest demonstration ever.

Especially if you had more than 3-4 people at your show! LOL! AND - how would you keep everyone's piece of chicken straight? Have them put their initials on their piece??? :p Or maybe have them all do the sniff test after it's done? Hmmmmmm

For my Pantry Shows, I HAVE been cutting up a couple chicken breasts into nuggests, and sauting them in a brush of garlic oil in the my grill pan, and then sticking little toothpicks in them and serving them with sauces for dipping. That's worked well!

ChefBeckyD said:
For my Pantry Shows, I HAVE been cutting up a couple chicken breasts into nuggests, and sauting them in a brush of garlic oil in the my grill pan, and then sticking little toothpicks in them and serving them with sauces for dipping. That's worked well!

Are you showing the grill press since they are nuggets? I don't have the press but I have to demo it for a team training next month. I would rather do the nuggets...

Lori

loreo said:
Are you showing the grill press since they are nuggets? I don't have the press but I have to demo it for a team training next month. I would rather do the nuggets...

Lori

No, I just grill them in there and move them around with the saute tongs.

I highly doubt that I will ever bring the grill press to shows with me. That thing is so heavy - there's no way I want to add it to my kit!

My October is FULL! And several of the people who booked did so because of the grill pan. Didn't even need to have the press with me to sell them on the pan! :thumbup:

Thanks Becky! I was hoping you would say that! Now to convince upline that I can do it without the press eventho they used the press in the video ;)

leftymac said:

I'm thinking just the opposite. In fact, I put Chicken Your Way on my menu for fall. Here's the ingredients I asked for:
4 chicken breast halves, thawed if frozen
Olive Oil
1 loaf NARROW Italian or French bread, sliced thin
8 slices swiss or Cheddar cheese
1 cup Mayo
1 garlic clove

We'll cook the chicken during the show and I'll let the group choose 4 different seasonings/rubs
When the chicken is done, we'll cut up with the Salad Choppers. We'll mix the garlic and mayo (now it's aioli!) and I'll put everything but the chicken on the large Bamboo platter. Chicken in 4 bamboo bowls and then 2-3 bottles of our sauces. Using the bread/cheese/mayo, they can make a small sandwich or just sample the chicken dipped in sauces.
I'm also suggesting they get the ingredients for Raspberry Tequila Sangria or Cran Raspberry Fizz.

I think it's going to be a great alternative to my beloved Deep Covered Baker (which I will still be showing/demoing, but trying to add more cookware to my demo).

Guess it's all in how you look at it!
D

DebinIA said:
I'm thinking just the opposite. In fact, I put Chicken Your Way on my menu for fall. Here's the ingredients I asked for:
Olive Oil
1 cup Mayo
1 garlic clove

We'll cook the chicken during the show and I'll let the group choose 4 different seasonings/rubs
When the chicken is done, we'll cut up with the Salad Choppers. We'll mix the garlic and mayo (now it's aioli!) and I'll put everything but the chicken on the large Bamboo platter. Chicken in 4 bamboo bowls and then 2-3 bottles of our sauces. Using the bread/cheese/mayo, they can make a small sandwich or just sample the chicken dipped in sauces.
I'm also suggesting they get the ingredients for Raspberry Tequila Sangria or Cran Raspberry Fizz.

I think it's going to be a great alternative to my beloved Deep Covered Baker (which I will still be showing/demoing, but trying to add more cookware to my demo).

D

Now that is a fabulous idea!

DebinIA said:

<snip>

D

I won't be doing the song and dance, but I like your idea!

ChefBeckyD said:
See - that's my question. I don't really have a problem with it if the grill press is preheated, but I thought we weren't supposed to preheat the grill press???

In fact, I just went and checked it out - and this is directly from the PIG on CC....

Cook’s Tips:
The Grill Press should not be preheated before use. Even though the press has ridges on the surface, the sear marks
on grilled food come from the Grill Pan, not the press. Food must be turned once to produce sear marks on each
side.
• Use the press with bacon, sausage, chicken, burgers and vegetables

thiis is confusing, because the PIG does say that, but the U&C says this:

1 Brush or spray underside of Grill Press with cooking oil prior to use. Press does not require preheating.
2 For best results, preheat cookware following manufacturer's guidelines. Brush food or pan with melted butter or cooking oil.
3 Add food to pan and place Grill Press on food. Press down lightly to secure. Evenly distribute weight of press across food to preventing tipping. Note: To minimize chipping, Grill Press should not have contact with side walls of pan​

so to me, "does not require preheating" does not mean the same thing as "don't preheat," plus in the very next step it says preheat the cookware!? isn't the grill press cookware?
I'm planning to preheat. Even before this video I wanted that grill pan, now I want it double bad!!

So .... it sounds like the grill pan/press are definitely worth the cost? (even with consultant discount?). I've been hesitant to shell out the $$.
Your sales on it have been good enough to warrant the investment?
What do you say when people counter with portable grill pans (G Foreman types et al?)

DebinIA said:
Olive Oil
1 cup Mayo
1 garlic clove

D

LOVE IT! I am soooo going to do this! :thumbup:

My director is having amazing results with Chicken Your Way. Infact, she has booked 14 shows off of 4 bookings. She was sooo excited about it all in recent cluster meeting, we spent 2 1/2 hours in training. One thing she told she does is pre-heat the press in the pan on medium high heat. She said that it starts the cooking process on the on the that side before it is flipped. Also she advised to only flip the chicken once. I am going to watch a show of hers later the month. I can't wait because I believe it is going to be a hec of a learning experience. She is a seasoned pro and has been very successful with PC.

I'm wondering what I may be doing wrong...I smoke up my kitchen every time I try to use the grill pan! I have my stove set at 7.5 (out of 10)...does anyone else have this problem? I certainly don't want to smoke out guests at a show, so I guess I won't be doing CYW until I perfect my technique. Any suggestions?

The initial preheating of the press will get the press very hot and sear the top of the chicken, thus killing everything on the outside of the chicken and there would be no live bacteria on the press to transfer to the other side when flipped. Also,the press is heavy and it retains heat, plus it is still in the pan staying hot so it never really cools down. Chicken is done at 165 degrees. I have not tested this, but if you preheat the grill press in the pan and prepare the recipe as directed, I will bet that the top of the chicken and the grill press are at least 165 degrees. This would be more than hot enough to kill the bacteria. This is just my hypothesis, but I am not at all concerned about this method.

DebinIA said:
Olive Oil
1 cup Mayo
1 garlic clove

D

I'm doing this for my show tomorrow. I hope this isn't a dumb question... The 4 different seasonings/rubs that are chosen... Are you putting them on the chicken before or after you cook the chicken?

skaugchef said:
I'm doing this for my show tomorrow. I hope this isn't a dumb question... The 4 different seasonings/rubs that are chosen... Are you putting them on the chicken before or after you cook the chicken?

Before. They wouldn't taste very good after. I did this last night for my husband's lunch. I heated the pan, brushed the chicken with Olive Oil, and then sprinkled the rub on it. It turned out great!

That's what I thought. Just making sure. :)

I haven't used the Salad Choppers much. Why wouldn't we just cut the breasts in pieces with our knives? Why use our Salad Choppers?

Okay, here's my dumb question...do you guys brush both sides with oil and then the rub or just one side?Oh, and how do you maneuver yourself as you cook this? I always feel awkward using the press. I lift it up and then just don't know where to set it down. It's blazing hot, so I can't just put it down on the counter. If I set it on a hot pad, then it goes kind of on a slant because of the handle and then the oil/water from the steam slides down onto it. I preheated the grill pan & press for 5 minutes. Cooked on each side 5 minutes. They still weren't done and you could see pink on the side of the chicken still towards the middle. I flipped them again and added more time, but then they ended up dry. They only got to 145 in those first 10 minutes...so I figured I had to continue cooking them.I was thinking of doing this at my Fall KickOff on Saturday, so I need to perfect how I do this. :D

Last edited:
:cry:I was looking forward to doing the demo, but most of my cookware pieces are in a box somewhere in the middle of my huge storage unit (which is packed quite precisely to fit everything in).:cry::cry::grumpy::yuck:

babywings76 said:
Okay, here's my dumb question...do you guys brush both sides with oil and then the rub or just one side?Oh, and how do you maneuver yourself as you cook this? I always feel awkward using the press. I lift it up and then just don't know where to set it down. It's blazing hot, so I can't just put it down on the counter. If I set it on a hot pad, then it goes kind of on a slant because of the handle and then the oil/water from the steam slides down onto it. I preheated the grill pan & press for 5 minutes. Cooked on each side 5 minutes. They still weren't done and you could see pink on the side of the chicken still towards the middle. I flipped them again and added more time, but then they ended up dry. They only got to 145 in those first 10 minutes...so I figured I had to continue cooking them.I was thinking of doing this at my Fall KickOff on Saturday, so I need to perfect how I do this. :D
I brush and rub both sides.For the press - I keep my med. cutting board on the side of the stove, and set it on that when I lift it off to flip. (not on a slant - just flat down)I've been bringing my meat tenderizer with me to shows, to pound the chicken so that it's the same thickness. That helps it cook quicker, and more evenly.

I put the grill press on a hotpad/trivet - easy to clean! I use the kitchen spritzer to put the oil on.

Did it for the first time at a show tonight. For the next time, I'm going to cook most of the chicken at home and cook one breast at the show. I did too much. I just couldn't stop myself! Did a simple salad plus the grits. I knew I shouldn't have done the grits, but I love starches. They ate almost all of the chicken and salad and left quite a bit of the grits. They still bought and booked, though :)

Thanks for the tips Becky & Becca! :)Here's another question: If you use the Chef's Tongs to place the chicken in, and then to flip them, do you need to wash them before using them to remove the chicken when it's fully cooked? I always worry about cross-contamination and people at a show being nervous. I don't want to go overboard on paranoia, but want to be professional and safe.

babywings76 said:
Thanks for the tips Becky & Becca! :)

Here's another question: If you use the Chef's Tongs to place the chicken in, and then to flip them, do you need to wash them before using them to remove the chicken when it's fully cooked? I always worry about cross-contamination and people at a show being nervous. I don't want to go overboard on paranoia, but want to be professional and safe.

I don't. If you've preheated the press, then the top of the chicken is already seared, and you don't really have to worry about raw chicken.

But - I don't think I'd do it anyway, even if it wasn't preheated. :D

ChefBeckyD said:
I don't. If you've preheated the press, then the top of the chicken is already seared, and you don't really have to worry about raw chicken.

But - I don't think I'd do it anyway, even if it wasn't preheated. :D

Okay, thanks! :D

1. How do I access the new Pampered Chef video on the grill pan and chicken cutlets?

The new video featuring the grill pan and chicken cutlets can be found on Consultant Corner and will also be available on Facebook next month.

2. Do you have any tips or tricks for using the grill pan and press for cooking chicken?

Yes, the video on Consultant Corner showcases some great tips and tricks for using the grill pan and press for cooking chicken. You can also find more tips and recipes on our website or by consulting with your Pampered Chef consultant.

3. Is it safe to use the grill press on raw chicken and then on cooked chicken?

Yes, it is safe to use the grill press on both raw and cooked chicken. The high heat from the grill pan will kill any bacteria on the press. However, it's always important to properly clean and sanitize your grill press before and after each use.

4. Can I use the grill pan and press for other types of meat besides chicken?

Absolutely! The grill pan and press can be used for cooking a variety of meats such as steak, pork, and fish. It's a versatile tool that can help you achieve delicious, grill-like results in the comfort of your own kitchen.

5. How do I properly clean and care for my grill pan and press?

To clean the grill pan and press, simply wash it with hot soapy water or place it in the dishwasher. If there are any stubborn bits of food stuck on, you can use a grill brush or scraper to remove them. It's important to dry the pan and press thoroughly to prevent rusting. For best results, season the pan with a small amount of oil before storing it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JanisF
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
  • esavvymom