• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Get Unique Ideas for Cooking with Square & Double Griddles

In summary, the conversation is about different uses for griddle and double griddle pans. The participants mention using them for thawing meat, cooking breakfast foods such as pancakes, french toast, scrambled eggs, and fried eggs and sausage, as well as quesadillas, sandwiches, and Philly cheesesteak sandwiches. Some also use the griddle as a flat top grill for making sliders or other dishes. The double griddle is especially useful for cooking for a large group of people, while the square griddle is preferred for grilled cheese sandwiches. The conversation also touches on rarely used pans and the versatility of the griddle for thawing frozen food quickly.
BethCooks4U
Gold Member
I have both the square griddle and the double griddle and to be honest I only use these to thaw meat. They work amazing for this use - quickly thaw anything that way - but seriously, if I had paid for those pans I would feel I wasn't getting my investment from them using them just for this.

So... What do you cook on these pans. We have done bacon and chicken breasts - talk about splatter! We have done pancakes but we very rarely even eat pancakes. I'd love some ideas.

Re: GriddlesOur son used the Double Griddle all the time for grilled cheese sandwiches when his friends were over. As a matter of fact, we gave him one for Christmas last year. He loves it for that and for French toast for a crowd. Of course, he's 25 and lives with friends. I use the griddle for sandwiches, scrambled eggs, and french toast. It's not a daily use item for me, but I'm very glad I have it.

Re: GriddlesI tell guests at shows that the Double Burner Griddle my favorite product that I've never taken to a show!

We eat a lot of breakfast foods - for breakfast & for dinner.

Pancakes
French toast
scrambled eggs
Fried Eggs & sausage (eggs at one end, sausage at the other)
OR, eggs and hash browns.
Quesadillas (can do 3 at one time!)
Grilled Cheese sandwiches
Corned Beef Hash

I'm sure there's more, but that's off the top of my head!

Re: GriddlesI must admit that we don't use the Double Griddle as much now that we're empty-nesters, but I'm still glad I have it.

Re: GriddlesOkay. My memory is jogged! I now know my problem. My DH does all the breakfast cooking and even when I left it out there on the stove he picked a saute pan for eggs... (And these pans are actually the easiest to get out even when they're put away.)

Hmmmm... quesadillas, sandwiches... I always use the grill pan for those! I guess there is such a thing as too many pans.

I have all of both sets. We rarely use the stainless ones at all and the stir-fry skillet has NEVER been used and won't since it's in the back of a cupboard totally hidden, as is the 12 qt. stockpot... So sad...

That's the problem of only having 2 people in the house. Well, at least I can use all those larger pans one week of the year - we have 15 people here for a week in November so we need that stockpot and I'll urge him to use the griddles then too. lol

Re: GriddlesWe use our square griddle for grilled cheese mostly (though the grill pan makes the best grilled cheese imo-but DH loves he griddle pan for these now). We use the double griddle for french toast and pancakes all the time.

Re: GriddlesI got the double griddle this summer.. and we love it! for all the reasons above.. My hubby especially likes it because he used to have a restaraunt and he uses it like his old flat top grill. His Philly Cheesesteak is fabulous.. all done on th griddle now.onions in the back on a lower heat.. the meat up front using the bamboo tools to move/tear the meat. and boom slap on the cheese whiz and you gotta a helluva sammy :)

Re: GriddlesPancakes, french toast, grilled cheese, quesadillas.

Also great for making a big batch of pan-fried sliders a la Alton Brown (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mini-man-burgers-recipe/index.html) except I cut mine into smaller squares and use split potato rolls for the buns. Makes very happy kids.

Re: GriddlesWe just tried Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches the other day and they turned out wonderful!!!

Re: GriddlesWe use the griddle pan for pancakes, french toast and grilled cheese sandwiches. The double griddle gets pulled out when family is in town for large breakfast in a flash! Love them both but have to admit the double griddle does not get used as often. Still glad I have it for those times I need it though.

Re: GriddlesI just got the double griddle and I love this thread! :)

Re: GriddlesI agree, the double griddle is not something I use often, but when I need it, it's indispensible. I actually find I don't use the square griddle much anymore since I got the grill pan.

Beth (OP), I'm curious about your comment re: thawing meat on the griddle. Hadn't heard that before. I guess it works like the ice cube demo that some of us do at shows, right? So you put the frozen meat on the griddle to thaw quickly, is that it?

Re: Griddlespattybrady - YES! It is awesome for thawing food because it traps the heat in the air around it. I just used it yesterday to thaw out a round steak that was packaged folded in half and frozen. I simply flipped it over about 45 minutes in and it was totally thawed on both sides in less than an hour and a half. COOL! I use it for chicken breasts, pork chops - even the thick ones thaw quickly. Studies have shown too that if the food thaws faster, it is less likely to collect and form bacteria.

Re: Griddles
pampered1224 said:
pattybrady - YES! It is awesome for thawing food because it traps the heat in the air around it. I just used it yesterday to thaw out a round steak that was packaged folded in half and frozen. I simply flipped it over about 45 minutes in and it was totally thawed on both sides in less than an hour and a half. COOL! I use it for chicken breasts, pork chops - even the thick ones thaw quickly. Studies have shown too that if the food thaws faster, it is less likely to collect and form bacteria.

What he said! This has saved me many times when I've forgotten to take meat out for dinner. In fact I have to set a timer so I put the thawed meat in the refrigerator to keep it cold if I remember and do it early in the day.

Re: GriddlesIt definitely is a pan that is used more when you have kids at home! My kids use it alllll the time! LOL! I think they like that it has such low sides.. easier for them to flip their food.. and they love that you can make different types of food on it at the same time! We eat a lot of breakfast food too.. so that is obviously what it's best for, but I def do grilled cheese sandwiches in it a lot too! In the summer tho.. my double burner griddle rarely gets put away! because they are constantly using it! but I can see me not using it a whole lot when they grow up and move out.. which I still have at least 7 years before that! :)

Re: Griddles
BethCooks4U said:
Okay. My memory is jogged! I now know my problem. My DH does all the breakfast cooking and even when I left it out there on the stove he picked a saute pan for eggs... (And these pans are actually the easiest to get out even when they're put away.)

Hmmmm... quesadillas, sandwiches... I always use the grill pan for those! I guess there is such a thing as too many pans.

I have all of both sets. We rarely use the stainless ones at all and the stir-fry skillet has NEVER been used and won't since it's in the back of a cupboard totally hidden, as is the 12 qt. stockpot... So sad...

That's the problem of only having 2 people in the house. Well, at least I can use all those larger pans one week of the year - we have 15 people here for a week in November so we need that stockpot and I'll urge him to use the griddles then too. lol

That's A LOT of pans! I only have the seven piece non stick set and a few open stock pieces and there are pieces that don't get used all that much. I would love to have the double burner griddle! I use my square griddle quite a bit. But we eat a lot of pancakes - at least once every other week for dinner. Honestly my most used pans are my griddle, my grill pan, and my 10" skillet.

What is the difference between a square griddle and a double griddle?

A square griddle is a flat cooking surface with four equal sides, while a double griddle has two separate cooking surfaces that can be used simultaneously or individually.

Can I use a square or double griddle on all types of stovetops?

Yes, square and double griddles can be used on gas, electric, and induction stovetops. Just make sure to check the manufacturer's instructions for compatibility.

What types of dishes can I make with a square or double griddle?

Square and double griddles are versatile tools that can be used to cook a variety of dishes such as pancakes, eggs, grilled sandwiches, burgers, and even vegetables.

Do I need to season my square or double griddle before using it?

It is recommended to season your griddle before the first use to prevent food from sticking. To season, heat the griddle on medium-high heat and spread a thin layer of oil over the surface. Let it cool and wipe off any excess oil before using.

How do I clean and maintain my square or double griddle?

After use, allow the griddle to cool before cleaning. Use warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge to clean the surface. Avoid using metal utensils or abrasive cleaners as they can damage the non-stick coating. Always dry the griddle thoroughly before storing to prevent rusting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • FFBearPChef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
Replies