• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Granny Smith Apples, Cake Mix and the Microwave

In summary, two recipes were suggested for an apple dessert. The first is a Harvest Apple Skillet Cake which uses oranges, red apples, sugar, cinnamon, pecans, cake mix, water, oil, and eggs. The second recipe is Mom's Apple Crisp which uses Granny Smith apples, graham crackers, brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter. Both recipes can be served with whipped cream or ice cream.
anyone know of a recipe that we have (may be old) using these ingredients? A hostess has asked for it and of course does not know the name of the recipe.

Thanks!

Oh man!! I was hoping you were posting a recipe...all I looked at was the title and thought to myself...YUMM-O!!

quick apple crisp or mom's apple crisp both are on CC

Thanks Kasey.. that's the one!

This one sounds good:

Harvest Apple Skillet Cake
Recipe:
2 oranges
5 small, firm, red baking apples, such as Jonathan (1 1/4 pounds)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons Pantry Cinnamon Plus(TM) Spice Blend, divided
1/2 cup pecans
1 package (18.25 ounces) yellow cake mix
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
Thawed, frozen whipped topping (optional)
Additional pecan halves (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Using Lemon Zester/Scorer, zest one orange using short strokes; set aside. Score long strips from remaining orange and form into curls for garnish; set aside. Using Utility Knife, cut one slice from the center of the scored orange; set aside. Juice oranges to measure 1/4 cup juice; set aside.
2. Using Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer, core and slice apples, leaving peel on. Slice each apple in half vertically; do not separate slices. Melt butter in Family Skillet over medium heat, tilting Skillet to coat bottom. Combine sugar with 1/2 teaspoon of the Spice Blend in Flour/Sugar Shaker. Sprinkle over butter in bottom of Skillet. Place reserved orange slice in center of Skillet. Arrange 5 apple halves, skin side down, in a circular pattern around orange slice; arrange remaining halves around first circle of apples. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until apples are slightly softened. Using Bamboo Spoon, gently press down and fan out apple slices to cover bottom of Skillet.
3. Coarsely chop pecans using Food Chopper. Combine pecans, cake mix and remaining Spice Blend in Classic Batter Bowl. Add reserved orange juice and zest, water, oil and eggs; beat until smooth using Stainless Steel Whisk. Gently pour batter over apples in Skillet, spreading evenly.
4. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until Cake Tester inserted in center comes out clean. Using Oven Mitts, carefully remove to Nonstick Cooling Rack. Loosen edges of cake with Skinny Scraper and carefully invert cake onto heat-proof serving plate. Garnish with whipped topping, orange curls and pecan halves, if desired. Serve using Slice 'N Serve®.
Yield: 12 servings or 24 sample servings

This one is really good - but doesn't use a cake mix:

Mom's Apple Crisp

4-6 Granny Smith apples
8 graham crackers (2 1/2 x 5 inches), finely chopped
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick or old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)

• Peel, core and slice apples using Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer.
• Cut apples in half; place in Deep Dish Baker. (I used the Square Baker)
• Finely chop graham crackers using Food Chopper; place in Classic Batter Bowl. (I put the crackers in a bag and crushed them with the Meat Tenderizer)
• Add brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix well.
• Place butter in Small Micro-Cooker®; microwave on HIGH 1 minute or until melted.
• Add butter to sugar mixture; mix well.
• Sprinkle graham cracker mixture evenly over apples.
• Microwave on HIGH 12-15 minutes or until apples are tender, rotating dish after 6 minutes. If your microwave has a turntable you do not have to rotate half way through)
• Cool slightly; serve warm topped with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Yield: 10 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 280, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Chol: 25 mg, Carbohydrate 48 g, Protein 2 g, Sodium 140 mg, Fiber 4 g

Related to Granny Smith Apples, Cake Mix and the Microwave

1. Can I use Granny Smith apples in a cake mix?

Yes, Granny Smith apples are a great option for baking with cake mix. Their tart flavor adds a nice contrast to the sweetness of the cake, and their firm texture holds up well during baking.

2. Do I need to peel the apples before using them in a cake mix?

It is a matter of personal preference. If you don't mind the texture and color of the apple peels in your cake, you can leave them on. However, if you prefer a smoother and more uniform texture, it is recommended to peel the apples before using them in the cake mix.

3. Can I use a microwave to bake a cake with Granny Smith apples?

Yes, you can use a microwave to bake a cake with Granny Smith apples. However, the result may not be as fluffy and evenly baked as using a conventional oven. It is recommended to follow a microwave-specific cake recipe for best results.

4. How do I incorporate the apples into the cake mix?

There are a few ways to incorporate the apples into the cake mix. You can chop them into small pieces and mix them into the batter, slice them and arrange them on top of the batter before baking, or grate them and add them to the batter for a more moist and evenly distributed apple flavor.

5. Can I substitute Granny Smith apples for other types of apples in a cake mix?

Yes, you can substitute Granny Smith apples for other types of apples, but keep in mind that the flavor and texture may be slightly different. Other types of apples may be sweeter or more tart, and their texture may be softer or firmer. It is best to use apples that are similar in tartness and texture to Granny Smith apples for the best results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie50
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
  • frozenchef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • PamperedchefDaly