• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

German Chocolate Skillet Cake Question

In summary, Jeanie Gay suggests that the problem with her cake might have been that it was left in the pan too long and that she should have taken it out sooner. She also recommends that if someone is going to make this recipe, they should run a spatula around the edge of the cake to help prevent it from sticking.
Chefweezie
I made one of these for my show last night. I had to bake it at home and take it to the show, since there was no oven in the clubhouse where my hostess had the show. When I went to dump it out the coconut stuck all the way around the edge of the skillet. It had been out of the oven for about 45 minutes, so I just laughed it off and told the ladies that it had cooled off too much to "jump out of the skillet" for me. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I use more butter in the future? I have never made this particular recipe, but I always use a full stick of butter when I make the pineapple upside down cake in the skillet? Thoughts?
Thanks in advance :)

I haven't baked this recipe, but was wondering if you had run a spatula around the outside edge of the cake? Maybe that would help if you didn't.

Jeanie Gay

I haven't baked this recipe, but was wondering if you had run a spatula around the outside edge of the cake? Maybe that would help if you didn't.

Jeanie Gay

I think just the fact that it stayed in the pan so long might have been the problem - I always dump the skillet cakes not long after I take them out of the oven. :confused:

I did run my small scraper around the edge. I usually only let my skillet cakes "rest" for 15-20 minutes out of the oven. Hmmmmm, that's probably the problem it sat too long

I was getting ready for a party at my home (not PC, just a party) and I took mine out of the oven and let it sit jsut like you did. I figured I would let it cool in the pan and then plate it right before people got there. Mine was so stuck that I ended up serving it in bowls :(

I decorate cakes and I was always told by my Mom and have read that you really shouldn't let a cake set more than 10 minutes in a pan because it will start to "glue" itself to the pan. I guess our cookware is no exception. I just ordered my 12" skillet, so I can't wait to try all the cakes out!

What ingredients are needed to make the German Chocolate Skillet Cake?

The German Chocolate Skillet Cake requires all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, buttermilk, and sweetened shredded coconut.

Can I use a regular cake pan instead of a skillet?

Yes, you can use a regular cake pan if you do not have a cast iron skillet. However, the cooking time may vary slightly.

Is it necessary to use buttermilk in this recipe?

Yes, buttermilk adds moisture and tanginess to the cake. If you do not have buttermilk, you can make a substitute by mixing 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar.

Can I substitute the sweetened shredded coconut with unsweetened coconut?

Yes, you can use unsweetened coconut, but the cake may not be as sweet. You can add some extra sugar to compensate for the lack of sweetness.

How should I store the leftover German Chocolate Skillet Cake?

The cake can be stored at room temperature, covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. If you want to keep it longer, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefJoyJ
  • pamperedmomto3
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
letscook04
  • jenniferlynne
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies