• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Unique Dishes Can Elevate a Small Thanksgiving Dinner?

) green beans, and when I'm feeling adventurous, cornbread with bacon or ham. But that's mostly for the boys' side of the family.I make a pan of Stuffing as well as Turkey (usually 3 different levels of stuffing because it seems like everyone loves it differently. Also everyone loves their potatoes different ways. So I always end up with 4-5 different kinds of potatoes. LOL)I actually take a lot of pictures of the meal to post.We have
kcjodih
Gold Member
what do you usually make? Besides obviously the turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and cranberry sauce. I don't usually 'do' the TG dinner, just contribute an appetizer or salad to my in-law's dinner which is pretty boring in itself. Just the above and two veggies (usually corn and turnip).

This year we were supposed to again go to the IL's and they asked if Sat or Sun was best for us (the only ones with children). TG is Monday Oct 13th here but we all like the 'official' day to rest. We said Sat looks the best since our new American hockey player housemate has a game Sunday at 4 and since he is away from home obviously and won't be able to go home for the US TG due to having games scheduled here then we insist on working around his schedule so he gets a TG! However we mentioned we didn't have our 10yo DS schedule yet. We got it on Monday and let her know that HE has a game at 5 on Saturday 2 hours north of us (and we're 2 hours east of the IL's) so could we do it Monday instead? They are both retired, the other 3 siblings aren't married (two are divorced, one never married) so there's no other families to have to consider.

Well, she called me back Tuesday night to say that she looked at the calendar and although it will work for everyone else it won't work for HER since she's the supervisor for the election the Tuesday after TG and will have to put in a day from 8 am to 11 pm which is too much when you're 79 without adding a huge dinner and gathering/cleanup the day before. So it works for 9 others but not her so it's not happening?! Anyway that's where we are now.

Now most of you know I was in a car accident Tuesday and cracked my ribs, bruised my tailbone, minor concussion etc so I haven't been doing anything but laying here. My DH just spent the day running errands and got home and went straight to the garden to start moving plants and weeding (the weeds are bigger than most plants!). I meant to do it the last 2 weekends but had shows on one day each weekend that required travelling and then it rained the other days. So I'm feeling guilty with all that he's doing around here (I hear the laundry going as well and know he's BBQing for dinner)

I sooooo want a TG dinner both for my family, myself and my new american addition. HE was so looking forward to meeting the family and now won't be. So I'm going to be puttering the end of this upcoming week getting simple things organized so we can at least have a turkey dinner Monday even if it doesn't 'feel' like TG with only the 5 of us :(

Here's where my CS friends come in - I'd like some knock 'em dead recipes or suggestions to add to my turkey, potatoes and stuffing. What is simple but awesome that YOU serve that will help make up for the lack of family?

Any ideas? Please help all you awesome cooks/bakers out there. I've got less than a week to decide (and have DH pick up what's needed). At least I have a turkey in the freezer :)

Sweet Potato Casserole, Sauerkraut (all my friends think I'm weird, but we've always had it).

Costco pumpkin pie! I know, I should make it, but the Costco pie is so good, and it's HUGE! Seriously - a standard pie is 9", and the Costco pie is 11 or 12. Corn casserole is always a hit, too. There's a version in one of the PC books (I think it's still in a current book), but the one I found before that one is:
1 9 oz. corn muffin mix (Jiffy size)
1 can cream-style corn
1 can kernel corn, drained
8 oz. sour cream
1 stick melted butter or margarine, melted (I only use 1/2 stick)
Mix all ingredients. Bake in casserole dish at 350˚F for 30-40 minutes until lightly brown on top. It's really good with Mexican-style corn instead of the plain kernel corn (Mexican corn has peppers in it). Also good with cheese, bacon bits and green onions on it before baking.

I usually take a gooseberry pie made from gooseberries grown in our own yard, plus either au gratin potatoes or macaroni and cheese. Last year we took mini kangaroo burgers. That's right. Kangaroo--as in little burgers made of kangaroo meat. They were tasty.

I cook a very boring meal - (no kangaroo!! LOL) Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes, (regular ones and casserole) corn, peas, brussell sprouts, green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, cranberry sauce and asparagus. Appetizers are usually something new (that I don't have the year before - maybe the new dijon brie this year) shrimp cocktail, veggie platter, cheese and crackers. Dessert is Apple pie, pumpkin pie and whatever one of my sisters decide to contribute! All for anywhere from 22 - 35 people - fun fun fun!

Sweet Potato Soufle, Spinach Artichoke Casserole, Cornbread Dressing- not stuffing, Creamed Corn, Rolls or Biscuits, Pumpkin Pie or Pumpkin Cheesecake, Mashed Potatoes or Potatoes Au Gratin, Turkey, Ham... we usually have a big turnout for Turkey Day and it is all family style, and nothing seems to be left out of the menu. I am about to go out of town for a week, so if you want any recipes, just PM me and I will get back to you. Glad to see someone else likes to plan ahead too!

To me, it's not Thanksgiving without Pumpkin Pie! (One year I made them in the Deluxe Mini Muffin Pan. Another year I made them in the Stoneware Muffin Pan. They were a big hit!)
When I was growing up we always had turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, some kind of sweet potato dish (gross), pumpkin pie (sometimes pecan too). We also had a relish tray with carrots, celery & baby gherkins! If there was anything else, I don't remember. With my memory...I'm surprised I remembered all that!!!As far as the sauerkraut....my husband's family always has sauerkraut stuffing. I don't like stuffing or dressing in any form but lots of people think it's wonderful.

No kangaroo?!!! LOL! It was a big hit--much more popular than the groundhog we served at the gathering for his mom's family.The gathering at his aunt's is huge. His aunt always provides:turkey (roasted the day before, pulled from the bone, and resting in broth)
ham (cooked the day before, sliced, and resting in juices)
mashed potatoes
gravy
stuffingStandards brought by others include:
relish tray
pumpkin roll
pumpkin and pecan pies (plus my gooseberry, of course)Then there is a wide range of various dishes brought by the crowd.

Last edited:
It's the only time I eat it. Being diabetic, I try to watch my food choices really carefully. I have 1/2 slice of the pumpkin roll, though. Love that stuff.

raebates said:
I usually take a gooseberry pie made from gooseberries grown in our own yard, plus either au gratin potatoes or macaroni and cheese. Last year we took mini kangaroo burgers. That's right. Kangaroo--as in little burgers made of kangaroo meat. They were tasty.

Could I please have your mac N cheese recipe Rae?

PamperedDor said:
I cook a very boring meal - (no kangaroo!! LOL) Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes, (regular ones and casserole) corn, peas, brussell sprouts, green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, cranberry sauce and asparagus. Appetizers are usually something new (that I don't have the year before - maybe the new dijon brie this year) shrimp cocktail, veggie platter, cheese and crackers. Dessert is Apple pie, pumpkin pie and whatever one of my sisters decide to contribute! All for anywhere from 22 - 35 people - fun fun fun!

Wow! That's a HECK of a lot of veggies Dor!

I have no problem with appetizers but trying to add to the main meal part. I think I might try Ann's corn casserole and maybe Rae's Mac N Cheese. Can't say I've ever had either with turkey before.

peachey said:
Sweet Potato Soufle, Spinach Artichoke Casserole, Cornbread Dressing- not stuffing, Creamed Corn, Rolls or Biscuits, Pumpkin Pie or Pumpkin Cheesecake, Mashed Potatoes or Potatoes Au Gratin, Turkey, Ham... we usually have a big turnout for Turkey Day and it is all family style, and nothing seems to be left out of the menu. I am about to go out of town for a week, so if you want any recipes, just PM me and I will get back to you. Glad to see someone else likes to plan ahead too!

Actually Katie it's only a week away here and now that we're not going anywhere I'm starting to panic. I don't want it to just seem like an everyday Sunday dinner nor do I want our houseguest feeling homesick for a real TG dinner.

I'd love to see your recipe for Spinach Artichoke Casserole, Cornbread Dressing (not sure what the difference between stuffing and dressing is) and your Potatoes Au Gratin. Isn't Potatoes Au Gratin just like scalloped potatoes but with cheese? Man I'm stupid :eek:

I'll pass on the sweet potato souffle and pumpkin pie since noone here likes sweet potatos or pumpkin. :rolleyes:

Thank you!!! :)

Well, before we start on the turkey we have antipasti... then on the side of the bird we usually have.. Stuffing (Baked and Bird), Kahlua Sweet Potatoes, Mashed Potato Pie, Carmelized Pearl Onions with Peas, Cranberries (jellied and sauced), Stuffed Mushrooms and a tray of Lasagna. (whats a holiday without some sort of pasta!?).

Dessert is usually Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie, Pecan Pie, Cheesecake and Cannolis, along with cordials, nuts, figs, coffee, espresso and cafe-diablo!

I'm not Rae but a favorite mac & cheese recipe that I make is super easy. Lots of people rave about it. I got it from a friend. You don't have to cook the macaroni first. You take a container of cottage cheese (any size...the rest of the recipe depends on the size of the cottage cheese.) Dump the cottage cheese into a piece of stoneware. Fill the cottage cheese container up with uncooked macaroni noodles & put in the stoneware. Then fill it up the cottage cheese container with water & put in the stoneware pan. Then add shredded cheese....at least 8 ounces. More is better. The type of shredded cheese is up to you. I usually use one of the mixtures. Add salt & pepper to taste. Bake at 350 degree oven until noodles are done & top is lightly browned. I've also added leftover chicken or turkey or ham & chopped broccoli before.I don't like it but my hubby always wants green bean casserole.

chefann said:
Costco pumpkin pie! I know, I should make it, but the Costco pie is so good, and it's HUGE! Seriously - a standard pie is 9", and the Costco pie is 11 or 12.

Corn casserole is always a hit, too. There's a version in one of the PC books (I think it's still in a current book), but the one I found before that one is:
1 9 oz. corn muffin mix (Jiffy size)
1 can cream-style corn
1 can kernel corn, drained
8 oz. sour cream
1 stick melted butter or margarine, melted (I only use 1/2 stick)
Mix all ingredients. Bake in casserole dish at 350˚F for 30-40 minutes until lightly brown on top.

It's really good with Mexican-style corn instead of the plain kernel corn (Mexican corn has peppers in it). Also good with cheese, bacon bits and green onions on it before baking.

Thanks for sharing this recipe Ann! I'm going to try it. I can't say I've ever had a corn muffin let alone a corn casserole. I sure hope they have corn muffin mixes here. I'll pass on pumpkin pie though, no matter who makes it or where it's from. We can't stand pecan pie, pumpkin pie or mincemeat pie :yuck: (what exactly IS mincemeat anyway ewww! - but I KNOW Ann will know :D)

I think I'll take this, Rae's Mac n Cheese and the Spinach one from Katie and maybe her potatoes as well and make those.

Any other ideas from anyone else?

Also does anyone do anything different to their mashed potatoes besides butter, milk and salt and pepper? I think I've heard about garlic and even cream cheese in some? I'd prefer to stay away from cheddar cheese - we eat 'cheese potatoes' regularly so it wouldn't be something different or special.

Also any other dessert ideas besides pumpkin pie :yuck:, gooseberry pie (which I don't have berries for), pumpkin roll :yuck: (that pumpkin thing again) and apple pie (definitely having - have one I made earlier in the freezer still).

I'll have to plan my time and work carefully so as to not make too much but still have lots of variety to make it 'feel' like TG and also still take it easy with my poor ole tender aching body :rolleyes: I'm STILL in so much pain and my laptop is now my bestest friend ;)

Laura420 said:
Well, before we start on the turkey we have antipasti... then on the side of the bird we usually have.. Stuffing (Baked and Bird), Kahlua Sweet Potatoes, Mashed Potato Pie, Carmelized Pearl Onions with Peas, Cranberries (jellied and sauced), Stuffed Mushrooms and a tray of Lasagna. (whats a holiday without some sort of pasta!?).

Mashed Potato Pie sounds yummy!

Dessert is usually Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie, Pecan Pie, Cheesecake and Cannolis, along with cordials, nuts, figs, coffee, espresso and cafe-diablo!

Can you believe I've never made a cheesecake? and I have NO idea what a cannoli is? Is that Italian? If so that would be a great idea - my houseguest/new family member is part Italian/Croatian/Portugese and says Momma is a great cook and so am I (?!?!) so obviously I've been fooling him well this past month. These past few days though they've been living off of leftovers and DH's cooking so I'm sure his tune will change shortly LOL I'm hoping to be out of bed a little at a time this upcoming week, even if it's just to cook a meal (or power cook since I haven't done that either and when better than right now in my circumstance!)

Stampaholic1961 said:
I'm not Rae but a favorite mac & cheese recipe that I make is super easy. Lots of people rave about it. I got it from a friend. You don't have to cook the macaroni first.

You take a container of cottage cheese (any size...the rest of the recipe depends on the size of the cottage cheese.) Dump the cottage cheese into a piece of stoneware. Fill the cottage cheese container up with uncooked macaroni noodles & put in the stoneware. Then fill it up the cottage cheese container with water & put in the stoneware pan. Then add shredded cheese....at least 8 ounces. More is better. The type of shredded cheese is up to you. I usually use one of the mixtures. Add salt & pepper to taste. Bake at 350 degree oven until noodles are done & top is lightly browned. I've also added leftover chicken or turkey or ham & chopped broccoli before.

I don't like it but my hubby always wants green bean casserole.

Wow! That sounds sooo easy! Is it really that easy and tastes THAT good? If I only used one cottage cheese so then only one mac noodles etc how much would that make? I might just try that for dinner with some cut up ham this week. I KNOW I could last this little bit to make this and get it in the oven! Can you tell I'm excited :D

Also I've heard of this but never had it. Can you or someone else tell me what on earth a green bean casserole is?

Cannoli is an Italian Pastry. It consists of a tube-shaped shell of fried pastry dough, filled with a sweet, creamy filling usually containing ricotta cheese (or, but less traditionally, sweetened Mascarpone) blended with some combination of sugar, vanilla, chocolate, pistachio or other flavorings. Some chefs add chopped sugared bitter fruit or chocolate chips. Sometimes cannolis can be found with the shells dipped in chocolate, in addition to being stuffed with filling.

You can get cannoli at the bakery (here at least, no sure about Canada)

Anne the corn casserole sounds fabulous!
Katie: may I please have the spinach/artichoke casserole recipe?

Jodie - I wish you speedy healing and a wonderful, laid-back Thanksgiving. Why is Canadian T'giving in October?

kcjodih said:
Wow! That sounds sooo easy! Is it really that easy and tastes THAT good? If I only used one cottage cheese so then only one mac noodles etc how much would that make? I might just try that for dinner with some cut up ham this week. I KNOW I could last this little bit to make this and get it in the oven! Can you tell I'm excited :D

Also I've heard of this but never had it. Can you or someone else tell me what on earth a green bean casserole is?

I am one of those who LOVES Green Bean Casserole! I think if you have someone from the States with you, you MUST have Green Bean Casserole!

Campbell's Kitchen - Recipe Detail - Green Bean Casserole

I second the green bean casserole! When I bought the oval stone I bought it picturing green bean casserole in it - it is a holiday must for me!

Candy yams, deviled eggs, cornbread dressing with gravy, collards, lima beans, corn, corn bread, rolls, ham, fried turkey, creamed potatoes w/ gravy, green bean cassarole, and a few other items.... needless to say a LOT of yummies!
Dessert - Chest pie, pig picking cake, homemade chocolate cake, pumpkin and sweet potato pie!!!!!!!!!

Oh and paula deens crock pot mac n cheese!

PamperedCaniac said:
Dessert - Chest pie, pig picking cake!!!!!!!!!

You have got to explain what these are!!! I am clueless!

I LOVE green bean casserole. It is so yummy.

Also, when I do my mashed potatoes, I boil them with a bit of chicken broth. Also, when I add the milk, I warm it first.

I am not bragging, but I am the queen of the potatoes!! Never met one that I didn't love. Thanksgiving is no day to fool around and try to cut calories with the spuds. I use heavy cream (always have some left over from the homemade ice cream.. this is a strange tradition at our house, but no one EVER complains!!), butter (none of that margarine stuff), more butter, sour cream and cheese. I like a smoked gouda or a white cheddar, or munster is nice too. Mashed with a potato masher: you need some lumps to hold all the good stuff. Plus, I don't peel my potatoes. I figure, you need to make sure to get some vitamins and fiber in you day, might as well save a step and leave the skins on.

I do have a make ahead mashed potato dish that is perfect when you are bringing the potatoes or just want to save yourself some time on the big day. That has cream cheese and eggs in it.

I am so hungry now!!!

Along with all the ones mentioned I also make a corn and rice casserole. Super easy but good.

1 bag yellow rice
1 can mexi corn
1 can cream of chicken

Cook yellow rice according the package. Then mix everything together and put in a casserole dish. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.

Another I love to make is Green Bean Wraps.

Wrap about 6 green beans in bacon. I normally cut the bacon in half. Then put all the roll ups in a casserole dish and pour a bottle of french dressing on top. Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes.

These two are two of my hubby's fav!

From epicurious.com:mincemeat
A rich, spicy preserve made of fruit (usually chopped cherries, dried apricots, apples or pears, raisins and candied citrus peel), nuts, beef SUET, various spices and brandy or rum. Old-time mincemeats included minced, cooked lean meat (usually beef) — hence the name. Most modern versions do not use meat. The ingredients are combined, then covered and allowed to mature for a month for the flavors to mingle and mellow. Commercially prepared mincemeat is available in jars in most supermarkets — particularly around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Mincemeat can be used in many dishes including pies, tarts, puddings and cookies.

kcjodih said:

It is either fresh or frozen or sometimes canned green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and those French's fried onions in a can with I think some milk all mixed up and then topped with more onions in a can! My hubby LOVES it and the kids like the beans minus the other stuff. so usually I make two things of beans plus corn for me (not a bean girl).

Thanks Ann for the corn recipe! That may be a tomorrow recipe! ha ha I'm HUNGRY now and just got home from dinner!

kcjodih said:

It is extremely easy! Most people really like it. My kids don't but they only eat the boxed kind with powdered cheese! It has disappeared in a matter of minutes whenever I take it to a dinner. I usually use a container of cottage cheese that is 32 ounces (I'm guessing...I can't remember for sure). When I use that size, I make it in the rectangle baker. If I use the 16 ounce size, I use the square baker. Hope that helps.

I don't have the exact recipe for the green bean casserole but it uses green beans, mushroom soup & french fried onions. The recipe is always on the back of the can. I will look & see if I have any of the onions in the pantry & find the exact recipe. I hate mushrooms so I don't eat it!! It's just for hubby!!

ok, Rae where in the heck did you get kangaroo meat in the middle of Indiana???We have shrimp cocktails, cheese tray & crackers 7 usually a hot appetizer of some type
turkey and ham
mashed potatoes/gravy & homemade noodles (I add a little baking powder to my mashed potatoes with the butter and cream
bread dressing
fresh salad
cranberries & orange relish
hot yeast rolls
french onion casserole
green bean bundles (or fresh steamed with almonds if I can find decent produce)
acorn squash
creamed corn
& a variety of desserts (bought from the bakery if I'm having it and its just the 5 of us) homemade if we are in Iowa and my mom cooks

oops! I hadn't refreshed my screen & didn't realize others had already answered about the green bean casserole! Sorry!

Well, Teresa, that's certainly one we didn't shoot in the backyard. LOL!There's an amazing place on the north edge of Cincinnati called Jungle Jim's. It's almost six acres of groceries from around the world. They have all kinds of exotic meats. We bought ground kangaroo and some alligator fillets. Had the alligator for Christmas Eve.

Here's my recipe:Rae’s Mac N Cheese11 oz (¾ of a 14.5 oz box) elbow pasta
6 T butter
½ c flour
4 c milk
2 t salt
1 ¼ pounds sharp cheddar cheese, cut into chunks
½ t freshly ground nutmeg (Leave this out if all you have is powdered. It doesn’t taste the same)Preheat oven to 450ºF. Cook pasta according to package directions. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add flour, stirring well. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Add salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, until mixture begins to thicken just a bit. Add cheese. Cook, stirring frequently, until cheese is completely melted. Stir in nutmeg. Fold in cooked, drained pasta. Pour mixture into 9 x 13 pan. Bake 30-40 minutes, until browned spots appear and edge is crispy. Wait 5 minutes before serving.Technically, we call it Marconi Cheese. Of course, we call burgers & fries "boogers & flies."

Last edited:
I've recently discovered Rosemary Mashed Potatoes and I'll be making them for Thanksgiving this year. I got this recipe off of Food Network.

Johnny Garlic's Famous Garlic and Rosemary Mashed potatoes Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri, 2007

Show: Food Network Specials Episode: Dear Food Network: Thanksgiving

5 pounds potatoes, Yukon gold, washed and cut in 2 to 3-inch pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 teaspoons freshly minced rosemary leaves
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons white pepper
1/2 C milk
Directions
Add cut potatoes into a large pot and cover by about 1-inch with cold water. Place over medium heat and simmer (do not boil) potatoes for 15 minutes or until fork tender.

Strain potatoes from pot, and set aside. In same pot add oil, garlic and rosemary. Lightly saute over medium heat. When slightly brown add potatoes back to the pot, and mix with garlic and rosemary.

Remove from heat, add milk, salt and pepper, and mash with potato masher.

As far a another dessert, how about a trifle? There are so many to choose from and everyone loves them!

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

kcjodih said:
I'd love to see your recipe for Spinach Artichoke Casserole, Cornbread Dressing (not sure what the difference between stuffing and dressing is) and your Potatoes Au Gratin. Isn't Potatoes Au Gratin just like scalloped potatoes but with cheese? Man I'm stupid :eek:

Jodi, we are on vacation, but luckily there is internet in the hotel! We left Nashville last night and are now in MD, on our way to PA to visit DH's family. I called my mom to get the Spinach Artichoke recipe. It is from a book, "Being Dead is No Excuse" pg 221, for anyone that has it. It is called Visiting Dignitary Spinach Souffle/ Casserole. SUPER EASY and tasty! The recipe below for Cornbread Dressing doesn't have a lot of measurements to it. I have been making my Granby's recipe for a while and just throw some stuff together. The Potatoes Au Gratin recipe is from Paula Deen. My husband loves Au Gratin and is expecially happy when I use the Ultimate Mandolin on the potatoes because they are all cooked evenly! He got a look for that comment, but I am glad he likes it! I can't tell you the difference in Scalloped Potatoes and Au Gratin, but the recipe called for Butterkaise & Fontina. They have changed the recipe search for Food Network, and I can't find the recipe. I say go with a recipe you like and add Butterkaise and Fontina!! Yummy.

Visiting Dignitary Spinach
2 10oz packages Frozen Chopped Spinach
8 oz Cream Cheese
1/2 cup melted Butter
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
14 oz Artichokes, drained
1 Sleeve Ritz Crackers- Mother has Celiacs and we have used tortilla chips
additional butter to dot on top

Preheat oven to 350. Cook spinach according to package and drain well. Add cream cheese, butter, and lemon juice, and mix well.

Grease a 9x13 casserole and placed spinach mixture in the bottom. Quarter the artichokes and place on top. Crumble ritz crackers and sprinkle over the top of casserole. Dot with additional butter and bake until hot throughout.

Cornbread Dressing
Skillet of prepared cornbread that has cooled, day old biscuits can be added too
~1 cup onions, chopped
~1 cup celery, chopped
~3 cups Chicken Broth- hot
Poultry Seasoning
Sage
1-2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350. Crumble cornbread and biscuits if using them. Saute onions and celery in butter until soft. Mix together bread and vegetable. Slowly add in broth until the mixture is wet. Add in Poultry Seasoning and Sage to taste. Then, add in egg(s). Pour in a casserol, or the rectagle baker. Cook until firm. This is a loose definition of a recipe. But, it is not Thanksgiving for us without it.

What is the Pig Pickin Cake???? Anybody????

kcjodih said:
Okay I googled it and it's a cake with yellow cake mix, mandarin oranges, pineapple and whipped topping. Pig Pickin' Cake - Allrecipes

I LOVE that cake! So light and yummy! I just have never heard it called Pig Pickin' Cake before though :)

So I made the Corn Casserole- YUMMO! I used the deep dish baker and put everything right into it and mixed it. Even my two kids helped without a mess! :) When my son saw and hubby heard there was sour cream in it they both turned up their noses and voiced complaints but I promised them they wouldn't even taste it. They both liked it!! THANK YOU THANK YOU for such an easy easy recipe!

You're welcome - I love that recipe, too. It's really good "doctored" with other stuff, too: leftover ham, cheese, green onions, bacon, etc. And now that I reminded myself of it, I might make it for Thanksgiving this year.

The Furry Guy reminded me that someone always brings Green Bean Casserole. Since I really don't like it, I had blocked it from my memory.

Can't wait to try the easy mac and cheese!! Thanks for sharing!

1. What are some alternatives to traditional mashed potatoes for a Thanksgiving dinner?

Some alternatives to traditional mashed potatoes for a Thanksgiving dinner include sweet potato casserole, roasted root vegetables, quinoa or cauliflower "mashed potatoes", or a savory bread pudding.

2. Can you recommend some creative vegetarian dishes for a Thanksgiving dinner?

Some creative vegetarian dishes for a Thanksgiving dinner include stuffed acorn squash, roasted vegetable tart, mushroom and wild rice stuffing, or lentil shepherd's pie.

3. How can I make my cranberry sauce more interesting?

You can make your cranberry sauce more interesting by adding in some citrus zest, chopped apples or pears, or a splash of balsamic vinegar. You can also try adding in some spices like cinnamon, ginger, or cardamom for a more complex flavor.

4. What are some easy yet impressive appetizers to bring to a Thanksgiving dinner?

Some easy yet impressive appetizers to bring to a Thanksgiving dinner include a charcuterie board with a variety of meats and cheeses, baked brie with cranberry or fig jam, or a fall-inspired dip like pumpkin hummus or butternut squash dip.

5. How can I make a simple turkey dinner feel more special?

You can make a simple turkey dinner feel more special by adding in some unique side dishes or accompaniments, like roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon and balsamic glaze, homemade cranberry-orange relish, or a festive apple cider sangria. You can also try incorporating some special touches to the table setting, such as fall-themed centerpieces or personalized place cards for each guest.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
heatherkiss
  • pamperedbybarbara
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pamperedbybarbara
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies