• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ever Lost Your Voice During Your Shows?

In summary, a lot of the guests' voices just totally go during the show. The host tries to encourage them to do most of the talking, but it's tough when they can't talk. They have different techniques for singing and speaking, but none of them work. The host has tried taking voice lessons and drinking water before the show but nothing seems to help. They are also going to suck on something as they are driving to the show. If you are a singer, you will know how this feels.
It happened to me AGAIN on Wednesday night. Not every show, but a lot of them, my voice just totally goes! I have that feeling you have when you're a little sick and you just have a tickly, scratchy feeling in your throat that makes you cough! I don't know if it's nerves (I don't FEEL nervous) or allergies or what, but very frustrating!

I try to encourage the guests to do as much of the talking as possible, but it's tough to sell, book, and recruit when you can't talk! I do carry cough drops. They help after awhile, but not right away. I think I'll try carrying some spray, and I always drink a lot of water before my shows, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Has anyone else dealt with this??!!!

Hey, Gretchen.

Have you thought about taking a couple of voice lessons? Not to sing your shows, but a good vocal instructor can teach you where best to "place" your voice in your throat so you don't lose it. They'd also be able to teach you how to use good breath support and to project, which is handy when you've got a large or very chatty group.

Otherwise, how about sucking on a vitamin C lozenge or cough drop as you prep, as a preventative.

The funny thing is, I'm also a singer, and this has never happened to me when singing! (I do solo/group work in my church). My mom has suggested the same thing, though. Maybe I'm using a different technique to sing versus to speak.

I think I will try sucking on something as I'm driving to my show.

If you're a singer, you'll "get" this. I find that I tend to place my voice at a higher pitch and higher in my throat when I "Present" than when I'm conversing normally. I don't know why. But for whatever reason, it makes it easier to talk for long periods or over a crowd.

Another thing to keep in mind is not to clear your throat. A full-out regular cough is better for your vocal chords than clearing. Clearing too much can cause nodules to develop, leading to loss of voice and requiring surgery to remove (which can then damage the chords).

Also, if you have a beverage at your show, make sure it's not too cold. The cold isn't good for your chords, either.

(Wow! What do you know- I'm finally using something from my Vocal Pedagogy class in college!)

When I am going to talk for long periods of time, I usually do some of my vocal warmups in the car on my way there... just some simple scales and such, but specifically at the high and low end of my range. Just seems to open things up and since to me singing is relaxing, doing the warmups helps my mind get into that relaxed state... then my voice relaxes as well.

I am totally going to hijack this thread!
HOW do I achieve a louder voice? It isn't so much soft (so I've been told) but LOW! No one can hear me! Very frustrating~ especially for big/loud crowds. I can't project because it just strains and then hurts..
any suggestions??

If it hurts when you project, then you're probably projecting from the throat instead of the diaphragm. When you breathe in to talk, your belly and lower back should push out against your clothes - don't breathe so that your shoulders move up. Breathing from the diaphragm is what helps give singers power and support.
If there's a college with a music program near you, call the music department and ask about singing lessons with a grad student - they can show you how to properly support your voice with your breath. (I remember laying on the floor with my feet up on a chair during some voice lessons. It's amazing how you learn to support when you're fighting gravity, too.)

1. Why do some Pampered Chef consultants lose their voice during shows?

Losing your voice during shows is a common occurrence for consultants due to factors such as talking for extended periods of time, using your voice to demonstrate products, and being in noisy environments.

2. How can I prevent losing my voice during my shows?

To prevent losing your voice, it is important to practice proper vocal hygiene. This includes staying hydrated, avoiding irritants like caffeine and alcohol, and taking breaks to rest your voice during long shows. It is also helpful to warm up your voice before the show and use amplification tools, such as a microphone, when available.

3. What can I do if I do lose my voice during a show?

If you do lose your voice during a show, don't panic. Take a break to rest your voice and drink water. You can also ask a team member or audience member to take over for you while you rest your voice. If possible, try using amplification tools to help you continue with the show.

4. Is losing my voice during shows harmful to my vocal cords?

In most cases, losing your voice during shows is not harmful to your vocal cords as it is usually caused by temporary strain. However, if you experience frequent or prolonged voice loss, it is important to consult a doctor to rule out any underlying medical conditions that may be causing it.

5. Are there any remedies or treatments for losing my voice during shows?

To treat voice loss, it is important to rest your voice and stay hydrated. You can also try natural remedies like drinking warm tea with honey, using steam inhalation, and gargling with salt water. If your voice loss persists, consult a doctor for further treatment options.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jessamary
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • pctharper
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • quiverfull7