• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ethical Question About Host Specials

had a show booked and she didn't want it to be a SA. So I did it as a consultant catalog show. I submitted it as my own show, got the DCB, and kept the SA.
Yakmama
I've got an ethical question about host specials. I really really really really want a DCB- but I am a new consultant and want to wait until my fourth month to get 40% off. The thing that is driving me crazy is that soon the host special is 60% off stoneware.

This month I had several hosts that did not use the host special when they ordered. They just didn't want the SA. So if this happens next month- would it be unethical of me to buy a piece of stoneware at the 60% off on my host's order as a "consultant gift" and then just keep it myself?

I consider myself an honest person- so I do not want to do anything unethical or dishonest.

That benefit if for those who host or who had that show booked from them. We aren't supposed to use the host benefit. If the host is a good friend or family member and absolutely does not want to use it and says that they would want you to use it you could consider it a gift from them (with you paying the cost) but that is going into grey area.

I suggest that you put together a catalog show yourself. With just $150 in sales you can get it as the host (and consultant) and the receipt is in your name and all is up front. This is a great time of year to do that. Ask people if they need any gifts (give them ideas) and think about gifts that you need to give - spend what you would have if shopping in a store and place the order in their name. Your commission gives you a sale price on the gift and it's commissionable so it counts toward your bonus program as a new consultant (also counts toward the multiples of 4 shows for that bonus too) and counts toward your lifetime sales.

I have had people not order SA when it is the host special...but I don't think I've ever had a host turn down stoneware!:balloon:

I totally agree with Beth,

I can't host another show. Last month I had a catalog show AND a cooking show. I'm wearing out my friends and family with these shows. LOL

Oh well- I guess I'll just have to wait a few more months to get it at 40% off. Thanks for the replies!

If you send out a customer newsletter, you can let your customers know that stoneware is 20% off in November and to place their order directly with you. Then you submit those as a consultant as host catalog show, selecting the DCB as your host bonus. Easy-peasy!

I have (very occasionally) had good friends or family who were hosts and who told me to "take" their 60 or 50% off items if they didn't want to use them.

I do not see the problem with that, as long as they are fully aware, and you have explained fully that if they don't use them, they lose them.

KellyTheChef said:
I have (very occasionally) had good friends or family who were hosts and who told me to "take" their 60 or 50% off items if they didn't want to use them.

I do not see the problem with that, as long as they are fully aware, and you have explained fully that if they don't use them, they lose them.
I don't either as long as they are the ones to offer and before submitting I would also ask them one last time if they really want to pass up on that deal.

KellyTheChef said:

I did take a 1/2 off item from a friend last January.....because she had a $1000 show - and got the extra $$ (I think it was $100) in free product. She had over $300 in free product to choose, and she had 4 1/2 price items. She only used 2 of her half-priced items - and was asking her family if any of them wanted to use one....she only had one taker, and she practically begged me to take it so it wouldn't go to waste. I had a Wedding Shower gift I needed (for her daughter!), so I went ahead and ordered it.

I also think that if the host has decided she does not want it, you should use it.

At one point I did a show for a friend of mine. She didn't put in much effort and only got half the orders she needed to even submit it as a show...so I wound up gathering more sales than she did. It was in February when there were two items at 60% off, and she only ordered one, and told me I could use the other. Since I gathered half the orders and she wouldn't have even had a show without them, I didn't find it unethical to use the other half price item. I did ask on here too though, because I don't want to do anything unethical either.

I had a host turn down the cookware special last month (which just SHOCKED me), but she also booked a November fundraiser off of me...so I selected the 10" executive saute pan, paid for it as a consultant gift, and I'm donating it to the silent auction at her fundraiser. That way she still gets use out of it, and I don't have to pay full price for an item to donate (minimum donation for the silent auction is $50, and I just couldn't swing that...$30 is much easier for me at the moment, plus it's a $75 value item!).

In my opinion (which you can take or leave, it's up to you), if the host offers it to me, then I'd consider using it myself. But I wouldn't ask to use it, even if she wasn't. I had several hosts in September not use the cookware bonus, and the catalog show from this month that I closed Wednesday isn't using her SA bonus (and she qualified for 2!). But none of those hosts offered them to me, so I wouldn't consider using them.

Last year for SA special, I think the Large Bowl was one of the host specials (forgot how it worked), but my host was wavering back and forth on the Large Bowl. She finally said "no". So I asked her if it was OK if I ordered it, paid for it, and she could look at it. If she wanted it once she saw it, I would just collect the money from her for it. Otherwise, I would pay for it and take it.

I really thought once she saw it she would want it. It didn't work out that way, so I now have a large bowl.

But, this DID work for me in March (?) with the Bamboo Set. I offered the same thing to the host and she paid for it once she saw them.

Not sure how ethical that all was, but sometimes they don't realize how nice something is until they see it.

kam said:
Last year for SA special, I think the Large Bowl was one of the host specials (forgot how it worked), but my host was wavering back and forth on the Large Bowl. She finally said "no". So I asked her if it was OK if I ordered it, paid for it, and she could look at it. If she wanted it once she saw it, I would just collect the money from her for it. Otherwise, I would pay for it and take it.

I really thought once she saw it she would want it. It didn't work out that way, so I now have a large bowl.

But, this DID work for me in March (?) with the Bamboo Set. I offered the same thing to the host and she paid for it once she saw them.

Not sure how ethical that all was, but sometimes they don't realize how nice something is until they see it.

Sounds good to me I don't think there is anything wrong with that.JMO

KellyTheChef said:

Me too, I don't see a problem w/ it personally...better than having it go to waste...

Hmm, this is sort of a slippery slope.
Technically the benefit is a host benefit and not transferrable.
Since the consultant earns no commission on these there is no financial incentive for the consultant to "use the benefit". Although they would not have to pay Shipping & Handling.

Without looking at the Policys and Procedures I would suspect that this is "not allowed" or "not encouraged".

Taking this to the extreme I could see where this might become a problem (and I am really stretching this one) if a consultant started abusing this by downplaying the benefit to the host in some fashion or another in order to get this for themselves.

There is obviously no real way for HO to police this since they would not be able to distinguish the real recipient.

All this being said, have I ever done this? Yes.:eek: Do I think it is right, ethical? Not really. :angel:So where does that put me? Rethinking how I run my business and how accountable I am to higher authorities.

I am not being critical of others because these are only my opinions and observations (which does make them somewhat flawed). :eek:

KimoMakano said:
Taking this to the extreme I could see where this might become a problem (and I am really stretching this one) if a consultant started abusing this by downplaying the benefit to the host in some fashion or another in order to get this for themselves.

There is a member here who has mentioned that her previous consultant didn't fully explain the host program and when she (the member) signed, she found out that she was severely short-changed by the consultant. So it does happen!

chefann said:
There is a member here who has mentioned that her previous consultant didn't fully explain the host program and when she (the member) signed, she found out that she was severely short-changed by the consultant. So it does happen!

Wow, I guess I am not surprised but then still shocked. I am sure this is the exception to the rule. One of the things that really drew me to PC was the prevalent moral compass of the program. This has been reinforced for me by all the threads I have read of those who have profess their faith and show their support for one another.

chefann said:

Well, I think that's just terrible to do to a host...
I have LOTS of hosts this month not taking the SA special...
Am I going to take it? No. But, if she offered it to a guest or another friend of hers who wanted it I wouldn't see anything wrong with that. I also like the idea of telling the host that they can look at the piece before they give it to the consultant and if the host wants it after that then they can take it. I think that's fair.

It is amazing that a consultant would even try to keep the host benefits from a host when they are listed in the catalog. The nerve of some people!

I agree, I think that is just appalling.
I had a host last month book SPECIFICALLY to get a piece of the cookware, but when it came time for the party, my host had had a string of car problems and had to shell out money for the car and could not get her cookware. She offered it to the past host who she booked off. Of course, the past host took it, but I thought that was awfully nice to do.

I know I hosted a jewelry party about 2 years ago and later found out that I was not given all of the "normal" host gifts. Someone else was talking about their party and I was like "you got x, I wasn't offered that". I was hurt and offended that a consultant would not be honest about the host benefits that the company offers. I am now very careful if I host a party, I research the company and ask other people who have hosted those parties. Like Beth I can't believe people would try to lie about the benefits when they are so clearly posted - just one of the many reasons I love PC - all of the information about hosting/becoming a consultant is right there on the website, all up front, not sneaky at all!

That's another reason it's good not to offer additional things to hosts - they think they're part of the host plan, and not an incentive that we've personally added.

That's exactly why I'm careful to mention that any additional incentives are exclusively from me for my hosts. It's written on host coaching stuff. I mention it verbally during coaching. I also mention it when I'm closing out a show by saying, "And, from me you get _________."

BethCooks4U said:
It is amazing that a consultant would even try to keep the host benefits from a host when they are listed in the catalog. The nerve of some people!

I agree and they are easy to understand as well.

Though some people STILL have trouble understanding them:rolleyes:

Okay I must admit that I have done this too. In September I desperately wanted/needed the 12" executive skillet so I scheduled my own Holiday Customer Appreciation Open House ...to which not one of the 89 people invited showed up. :(

I was so disappointed because I was sure I'd be able to do my own show and earn the cookware at 60% off. I couldn't even get a catalog show together without buying most of the $150 myself.

Well I had a show 9/26 for a good friend and when I was closing it she said she didn't want the cookware!!! I was shocked and explained what a great deal it was but she wasn't interested. About a 1/2 hour later as I was getting ready to submit I called her back again just to make sure she didn't want it. When she said "no" I asked her if she minded if I used it to purchase the skillet to which she said "of course, I'd hate for it to go to waste". Was this ethical? I thought so. Had I done it without asking her then I definitely would have felt deceitful, but needless to say I'm excited to get my skillet when I meet with her today. :)

rennea said:
I agree and they are easy to understand as well.

Though some people STILL have trouble understanding them:rolleyes:

I just do not get this! It's written clearly - I explain it in my host coaching more than once - I go over it during the show - and STILL have hosts who do not understand what their benefits are when we close their show.
I would say a good 50% of the time I get asked if they can use their FPV for their 1/2 off and 60% off products.....

I know Becky it just seems so easy!!!!! Before I was a consultant I looked at the host benefit and understood it without somebody having to tell me!

rennea said:
I know Becky it just seems so easy!!!!! Before I was a consultant I looked at the host benefit and understood it without somebody having to tell me!

LOL - when I hosted, we were still using the old points system (and THAT was confusing!) but I had worked my #'s so many times to get the best deal....I drove my consultant (and friend!) crazy. I bet she was glad I signed so she didn't have to deal with me as a host again!:D

I hated the points system! But at least then, hosts seemed to understand that they couldn't use the points toward the other things.

I would ask the host if they didn't want the host special, if they'd mind if you had it. Also, hosting your own catalogue show works too - or host your own Holiday Open House. All you need to qualify for the special is $200 in sales, with 2 guests.

Every time a host does not take her host special, i ask them if they would like to offer it to a good friend or family member, if they don't and i want it, I ask if they would mind if I purchased it.
I don;t see anything wrong with that. i wouldn't do it without asking the host first if she minds though.

1. Can I purchase the host special for myself as a consultant?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, you are entitled to the host special just like any other customer. However, it is important to follow ethical guidelines and not take advantage of the situation. If the host chooses not to use their host special, it is not appropriate to purchase it for yourself and claim it as a "consultant gift." This could be seen as unethical and dishonest.

2. Can I buy the host special at 60% off if my host does not use it?

Technically, as a consultant, you are eligible to purchase the host special at 60% off if the host does not use it. However, it is important to consider the reason for the host not using it. If they genuinely did not want the host special, then it may be acceptable to purchase it for yourself. However, if the host simply forgot or was not aware of the host special, it would not be ethical to take advantage of the situation.

3. Is it ethical to purchase the host special at a discount before my fourth month as a consultant?

No, it is not ethical to purchase the host special at a discount before your fourth month as a consultant. The 40% consultant discount is a perk that is earned after reaching a certain level of sales and should not be taken advantage of before it is earned. It is important to follow the guidelines set by Pampered Chef to maintain the integrity of the business.

4. Should I wait until my fourth month to purchase the DCB at 40% off?

Yes, it is recommended to wait until your fourth month as a consultant to purchase the DCB at 40% off. This is the guideline set by Pampered Chef and it is important to follow it to maintain the integrity of the business. Taking advantage of discounts before they are earned can be seen as unethical and dishonest.

5. What should I do if my host does not use their host special?

If your host does not use their host special, it is important to communicate with them and understand their reason for not using it. If they genuinely do not want the host special, you may purchase it for yourself according to the guidelines set by Pampered Chef. However, if the host was simply not aware of the host special, it would be unethical to take advantage of the situation. In this case, you may offer to use the host special for a future event or give it as a gift to someone else.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• brendaziz
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Sheleif
  • Products and Tips
Replies