• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Make the Barefoot Contessa Double Chocolate Layer Cake?

In summary, the Barefoot Contessa Double Chocolate Layer Cake is a delicious and easy-to-make cake that is perfect for birthdays or any occasion. The cake is moist and dense, but not overly fluffy. It contains a cup of coffee, but the flavor is not overpowering. The frosting recipe provided is optional, and the cake can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
AnnieBee
Gold Member
Not particularly good for a show, but I just made this for the first time, and it is sooo good (and very easy!) that I wanted to share. I just made it for my DD's birthday, and we all loved it (see "baking today" thread, page 11, for a picture). It is very moist, and a little on the dense side, so if you like a very fluffy cake this is not for you... Although it contains a cup of coffee, you really don't taste it, so don't be put off by that! I did not use the recipe for the frosting (although it does sounds good), as I have a different recipe I like, and I didn't want to have to refrigerate because of the egg yolk. Let me know if you're interested in that recipe, it is super easy too (butter, icing sugar, cocoa, milk and melted choc-chips).

Barefoot Contessa Double Chocolate Layer Cake

INGREDIENTS
Cake

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter two 8-inch round cake pans and line them with parchment paper; butter the paper. Dust the pans with flour, tapping out any excess.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, mix the flour with the sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt at low speed. In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the oil, eggs and vanilla. Slowly beat the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients until just incorporated, then slowly beat in the hot coffee until fully incorporated. The batter will be VERY thin - it really does come out OK!! :)

Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then invert the cakes onto a rack to cool completely. Peel off the parchment paper.

Frosting
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules

In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the chocolate at high power in 30-second intervals, stirring, until most of the chocolate is melted. Stir until completely melted, then set aside to cool to room temperature. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the butter at medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat for 1 minute, scraping down the side of the bowl. At low speed, slowly beat in the confectioners’ sugar, about 1 minute. In a small bowl, dissolve the instant coffee in 2 teaspoons of hot water. Slowly beat the coffee and the cooled chocolate into the butter mixture until just combined.

The frosting is enough to fill and do the top and sides. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before slicing. The frosted cake can be refrigerated for 2 days. Let stand for 1 hour before serving.

sounds delish....but im home alone for the week, so i better NOT make it. LOL

Wow, this sounds amazing! I love a good chocolate cake and this one looks like it would definitely hit the spot. I'm not the best baker, but I think I might give this a try for my next special occasion. Thanks for sharing the recipe and your experience with it! I'll definitely check out the "baking today" thread for the picture. Do you have any tips or tricks for making this cake?

1. How do I make the perfect double chocolate layer cake?

To make the perfect double chocolate layer cake, start by preheating your oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla extract. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients, alternating with milk. Pour the batter into greased cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes. Let the cakes cool before frosting with your favorite chocolate frosting.

2. Can I use a different type of chocolate for this cake?

Yes, you can use any type of chocolate that you prefer for this cake. Just make sure to use the same amount of chocolate as the recipe calls for. You can also mix different types of chocolate, such as dark and milk, for a unique flavor.

3. Can I make this cake in advance?

Yes, you can make this cake in advance. Once the cakes have cooled, wrap them in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the cakes for up to 3 months. Just make sure to let them thaw before frosting and serving.

4. How can I make this cake gluten-free?

To make this cake gluten-free, replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. You can also use almond flour or coconut flour for a grain-free option. Just make sure to use the same amount of flour as the recipe calls for.

5. Can I use a different type of frosting for this cake?

Yes, you can use any type of frosting that you prefer for this cake. Some popular options include cream cheese frosting, chocolate ganache, or a simple buttercream frosting. You can also add in different flavors, such as peppermint or raspberry, for a unique twist.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • AnnieBee