• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discover a Delicious Way to Raise Funds with Our Cookbook Fundraiser!

In summary, the cookbooks in September are $10 each and the organization will make $5 up front on each cookbook sold. The flyer and letter that were attached detail how to raise funds with this idea. The rewards for 5, 10, 15, and 20 products sold are not specified.
batroark said:
Please don't think that you are the only one that is in this boat! I think this is on alot of people's minds and emails. I am popping in quite frequently on this post to see what the discussion is and if the HO has responded yet. I am getting so antsy, because I am the vice-president of our UMW (United Methodist Women) group, in with the Relay For Life groups, a Food Bank Coordinator through Pampered Chef, and definitely in with the schools and Boy/Girl Scouts, and could probably find even more groups and organizations to contact. I am very excited about this idea, since I too think our Fundraiser program SUCKS! It is one this to pretty much screw us on our commission, but when you have to stand there and tell an group of people that is trying to raise money for a good cause that they will only get 10-15% of the show sales back to their group and expect them to jump on board without thinking twice....you're kidding right? I realize that if you give the group or org. part of your commission that it can be a tax write-off, but we are already getting the shaft and shouldn't have to commit any much more. It just burns my butt when my kid's come home from AWANAS saying they have to sell x-amount of donuts in order for the group to have enough money to get games and things with. Last year I just wanted to donate money to keep the fat off the streets.lol Here America is preaching our kids are fat (Mine are not because I am health and food conscience) and the church is asking them to go out and sell donuts because it brings more money back to the group. Go figure!!! I could soooo push this Cookbook fundraiser to alot of groups. You bet I will be emailing HO, because I am not getting answers quickly enough from the person I have been talking to there.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Proud supporter of change in our Fundraiser department!!!!!

Having grown up in AWANA, being a leader for over 10 years also and having a former classmate in Jr. High working for the organization, I can definitely say that decision is specific to the church. ALL the churches I have been in have bought everything they need to support the program and the kids only pay for books and uniforms like you would in other clubs. I would really say something to the church and/or leaders about the type of fundraiser and "guilting" the kids into "if you don't sell this much, we won't have"...that is sad to me and contrary to the goals of AWANA..."to reach boys and girls to the gospel of Christ and to train them to serve HIM"

Different groups in our church are always selling donuts. I ALWAYS say no. I refuse to kill my kids with junk so they can get a couple of bucks.

I don't think a healthy discussion about PC's fundraising program is "bashing" the company. They have made a decision to not focus on fundraisers and obviously some consultants feel they should. I don't like that my commission gets cut but PC gets most of the tax write-off. AND I usually give at least 5% so it sounds like a reasonable amount.

I like the idea of a once-a-year cookbook fundraiser. They could even set up rules about shipping so that they wouldn't have to eat the money. Something like $5 for 10 books; $10 for 20 books; $15 for 40 books, etc. Then, the fundraiser could get as many as they wanted without being penalized for being small.

I look forward to someone posting the best place to email HO so they'll see our interest when they come in Monday....

batroark said:
Ok, Colleen. I see your point as well. I have been with PC for nearly 3 years now and I am not trying to be hateful about this. But I would much rather see us helping a group or org. successfully (and honestly for some of you)with the people knowing that they have gotten some great quality products that will last and have a warranty than some wrapping paper or donuts that is worthless. I think that would boost the interest or support from some of the people out there. :confused: It is just embarrassing to me to tell them they will only get 10-15% back from their efforts.:confused:

Angela,
I can understand that you're upset... again, remember, Pampered Chef is NOT a fund-raising company. And if the FRs become such a hassle and HO gets so many hateful calls and e-mails, they just may decide to cancel the program all together. And that would be a loss to those who are satisfied with the FR program as is and have been successful with it.

Maybe a more proactive solution would be to look at the CN over the last few months, see who the top FR sellers are and contact them to see what they did to have success. And check the supply order form for CDs from past conferences on how to run successful fund-raisers.

finley1991 said:
And if the FRs become such a hassle and HO gets so many hateful calls and e-mails, they just may decide to cancel the program all together.

Why would HO be getting hateful calls and emails? :( I certainly hope this isn't the case. Expressing interest and a desire to follow policy, yes. Expressing anger and hate, no.

Several have been in ongoing conversations with the solution center and field services. Right now we're still waiting for a final answer or information on how to proceed without breaking any policies. The idea for doing the cookbook fundraiser was passed down through different clusters from upline directors, but no one knows where it actually started. It just seemed responsible to call in to get approval (I've never liked the idea of "it's easier to get forgiveness than permission" motto). To date, we haven't yet received a final word.

Since this started all I've heard about, both online and in-real-life, is how much everyone misses the Cookbook Fundraisers of yesteryear. I didn't realize that it did not work out well for consultants. Can those of you who did a lot of these share a little bit with the rest of us? What went wrong? I think it would help us better understand. Thanks! :love:

I am sorry if I got to blunt when typing my post last night. I have or even had no intention on sending the HO any hateful emails or calls. I have been talking to a Christy before even coming acrossed this thread. I am a Food Coordinator for a Food Bank that is nearly an hour away. Every time I have called to talk to them about doing a fundraiser the lady answering the phone keeps telling me that she has started selling PC and can take care of the Food Bank, but will have a main lady to call me back(but never has). Well, Christy called me asking me questions about being the Coordinator and I mentioned that situation to her, and asked if I could do something like this to make it easier for them and me on the distance. She said she would check on that and also call the main lady because it is my job to conduct the fundraisers for the Food Bank not the other PC lad that works there.

I guess I feel guilty for not being the best Food Bank coordinator possible. At the end of last year, we received 19" of rain in the area and 8" of it was in our house. I am finally getting back in the program in the last several months to being on the track with my business after having to gut and remodel our house after loosing everything including all my PC stuff.

I am in no means trying to stir up problems either way. But, I would rather be in the right than do something wrong or illegal and get in trouble.

batroark said:
I am sorry if I got to blunt when typing my post last night.

:D Been there, done that. I think it's important for us all to feel free to share our thoughts (and even emotional thoughts) without feeling judged. (where is the little hugging icon?) Occasional venting is healthy, in my opinion. :balloon: I'm sure you've found in this thread that you're not alone in your dissatisfaction with FRs. I have yet to personally meet someone who is. I keep reminding myself that PC does not want to be a FR company. The best we can do is give our entire commission to provide 30% total. Right? :confused: Most places would not even consider my FRs for that reason so I think I'll not worry about promoting them unless something changes. :(

BTW, it should provide some comfort to remember that: "All members have the right to their own ideas, beliefs and faiths. Members have the right to constructively express these on Chef Success with equal respect and consideration." You've sure been through the ringer both with your business and at home! :eek: I think I'll give equal consideration where it's due. ;)

I've really enjoyed reading this thread! It's great to get new ideas out there and explore possibilities. I hope to hear back soon. :thumbup:

I personally do not promote fundraisers because PC is so cheap on what they give. I haven't promoted them & no one has inquired & I for one am just peachy with that.;)

I agree. I don't talk about them either. Its on my doorprize slip, but I am looking for one (door prize slip) with out that mentioned. If someone asks I will tell them what we offer, but I don't feel its worth the time or the cost on my part, or the groups.

I was just talking with a friend today that is the president of the PTA for her daughters Catholic school, and they won't do a fundraiser unless they can get 50%! It's not worth their efforts she said.

Kelly V.

KellyRedHead said:
I agree. I don't talk about them either. Its on my doorprize slip, but I am looking for one (door prize slip) with out that mentioned. If someone asks I will tell them what we offer, but I don't feel its worth the time or the cost on my part, or the groups.

I was just talking with a friend today that is the president of the PTA for her daughters Catholic school, and they won't do a fundraiser unless they can get 50%! It's not worth their efforts she said.

Kelly V.
That's how most of the groups here are as well. I think I need to take your attitude about the fundraisers. Those of you who said PC does not want to be a FR business have a good point... I wouldn't walk into joe schmoe's store and expect them to sponsor a fundraiser for me. So unless things change I think I will just make the mental adjustment not to count on fundraising as a source of business... if someone asks, great, but otherwise there are better, more profitable ways that I can promote my business.

In talking with my Director, having a fundraiser where you're just selling cookbooks is not breaking any rules. I've decided that on Monday I am going to call HO to inform them that I will be doing a cookbook fundraiser for September since they are on guest special. It would be no different than if you did a cookbook fundraiser on a non-guest special month. I have three groups that are willing to step up and do the necessary work in order to have a successful fundraiser. All HO needs to know is that we're charging guests $10 for their cookbooks. There is no need to inform HO that there is an additional $5 being added. Besides the backorder risk, I honestly don't see why this thread as blown up to be such a big deal. There were plenty of folks doing "pink" fundraisers back in May, so how is this any different?

Just venting, as I really want to get started on this. I will update once I get a hold of HO. Point blank, the main thing is that if Directors are telling us that we can do this (including my own), then I don't see how this is a problem.

KellyRedHead said:

Maybe it's just location? Our Catholic Jr. High/Sr. High did a PC fundraiser through my director and it was successful.

I think sometimes people get stuck on percentages. If they sell one roll of wrapping paper at $8, or a tub of cookie dough for $10, their "50%" is $4, or $5. If they sell a deep dish covered baker, they make $6.50 (or $9.75 @15%)! It's all in how the information is presented.

KellyRedHead said:

Maybe it's just location? Our Catholic Jr. High/Sr. High did a PC fundraiser through my director and it was successful.

I think sometimes people get stuck on percentages. If they sell one roll of wrapping paper at $8, or a tub of cookie dough for $10, their "50%" is $4, or $5. If they sell a deep dish covered baker, they make $6.50 (or $9.75 @15%)! It's all in how the information is presented. In relation to the topic of the cookbook fundraiser, if the cookbooks are sold at $15, and then the organization receives another 10-15% of total sales, the amount per book sold is still more than the cookie dough "at 50%". :D

Leigh0725 said:
In talking with my Director, having a fundraiser where you're just selling cookbooks is not breaking any rules. I've decided that on Monday I am going to call HO to inform them that I will be doing a cookbook fundraiser for September since they are on guest special. It would be no different than if you did a cookbook fundraiser on a non-guest special month. I have three groups that are willing to step up and do the necessary work in order to have a successful fundraiser. All HO needs to know is that we're charging guests $10 for their cookbooks. There is no need to inform HO that there is an additional $5 being added. Besides the backorder risk, I honestly don't see why this thread as blown up to be such a big deal. There were plenty of folks doing "pink" fundraisers back in May, so how is this any different?

Just venting, as I really want to get started on this. I will update once I get a hold of HO. Point blank, the main thing is that if Directors are telling us that we can do this (including my own), then I don't see how this is a problem.

I totally hear you, I guess what people are concerned about is the charging extra and whether or not that violates policy. I agree, HO doesn't need to know a/b the extra $5... I guess I just worry that if everyone is doing this under the table, so to speak, that HO is not stupid and will figure it out. I am just trying to sit tight until I hear something definitive on where HO stands, then I can decide what I am willing or not willing to do with my own business. I will look forward to hearing what you find out with your phone call. And I will keep my fingers crossed that it is positive!

okay, I just got off the phone with my director and she has no reservations with this at all. No reservations about only doing cookbooks, no reservations about selling for $15. She did say that what she would do is set it up as a cooking show, submit everything under one person, so shipping is only $4. She said nothing about the "bulk" issue of 50. But to set it up as a cooking show, offer them your 20% commision plus the $4 or $5 however you are going to do it and then you get the free products as host. So I am going to get all of my stuff ready this week and go for it. I would still like to hear HO's thoughts.

I would NOT send it in under one guest's name. As I stated in another post in this thread, HO did say that if someone ordered 50 or more of one item, bulk shipping would apply. PLUS, submitting it under one guest name cheats HO out of shipping.

cmdtrgd said:
I would NOT send it in under one guest's name. As I stated in another post in this thread, HO did say that if someone ordered 50 or more of one item, bulk shipping would apply. PLUS, submitting it under one guest name cheats HO out of shipping.
I agree, definately break it up.

Cooking ShowThe school that I am working with does a lot of fundraisers and since PC only does the 15%, this is my way to get in with them. The only reason I need to call home office is because there is a potential of having more than 800 cookbooks ordered. But, if we can put the orders under each teachers name (so the teacher would distribute her kids' books) then I think we should be fine with the bulk order issue.

OK, I've just sat here and read this entire thread, and I must say, there's definitely some confusion going on here!!

First of all, anyone who decides to do this fundraiser is NOT GUILTY of inflating the cookbook prices!! All you're doing is, combining the cost of the taxes and shipping into the cost of the book itself!! They'd be paying $15 anyway!! The ONLY "inflating" is, you can combine all of Johnny's orders onto ONE order form and pay shipping only once, donating the "extra" shipping charges to the organization. BIG DEAL!!!

Now, I think that, to be fair with this, you should consider only putting so many cookbooks on one order from Johnny, because we do need to realize that shipping still needs to be paid, and, if enough shipping charges DON'T get collected on shows, well, eventually the shipping charges will just go up again...for ALL of us!! (So maybe only put 25 or 30 cookbooks on each order...?)

Doing this, I think I'd only promise $4 profit up front for each cookbook, to be sure that you've collected enough shipping charges. (You can always donate any "leftover" $$ later on, or use it to buy prizes to donate to the top sellers, etc.)

Personally, I think it's a wonderful idea for a fund-raiser. Especially for small children, so they can help "deliver" products. I'd much rather see a 4 or 5 year old delivering a cookbook than a Santoku knife!!...kwim?? lol

Paula

I just emailed Home Office, so hopefully we'll have their response soon!!

Good night, everyone!!

Paula

wow --took me 10 min..but i just read through this ENTIRE thread.
Seems that by now we would have heard a reply/response from HO..

But all these ideas do indeed have my wheels a turnin..

Has anyone gotten response from HO yet?
Why can't you just do a fundraiser and put cookbooks (guest special price) and add a few items on there for $10 each. Then cut the price this way (different states would be different. I am going by IN which is 6%).
Order 1 item $15, 2 items $26, 3 items $37. I rounded the figures up. You could either donate the change to the organization or round up for the second harvest.

Last edited:
I am just now seeing and reading this whole thread too - its a great idea and I definitely know of a couple organizations that would jump on this - but before I present anything, I want to know what HO says. I do agree that if we are just submitting orders for cookbooks at $10 each, why do they have to know that we sold them for $15? I guess its a "conscience" thing on my end.

Now to those of you who have presented this idea - how did you go about this? I saw the flyers at the beginning. Is there an email (cover letter) that you used to go along with this...or did you just call them up?

i also do not see any problem with doing a cookbook fundraiser where the people buy the cookbook for 10 plus donate 5 to the organization. HO should have no concern about the $5 donation. as long as you inform the person buyin git that there is a donation, whats the big deal?

also, dont you think someone in HO might be a member here and can see every little sneaky way we are talking a bout things? LOL at least if they are members here they will know how many people are talking about it!

i really hoe i can do this, i'd love to see any other fliers people made up though! and make sure to let us allk now if you all hear something!

I emailed HO this weekend and asked them how many cookbooks we could put on an order to cover the shipping cost. I like the idea someone had to put each teacher's name each order. But that could be 30 or 50 cookbooks. Seems like it would cost more than $4 to ship that many.

no news from HO yet? I have a fundraiser for my FRG (military family support group thingy) in sept and I think this would be perfect for it!

krzymomof4 said:
Has anyone gotten response from HO yet?

In addition to emails, I have two new calls into a supervisor and manager of HO. I had their direct phone numbers, but when I called in I got voice mail. But...I have to say that I've heard through the grapevine from someone else who called in that this idea is being shut down completely. Field services basically said that if they got a large order for primarily cookbooks, they won't likely fill the order--it's at their discretion.

UPDATE...

Okay, I'm a little bit speechless. I just got my own phone call back from the manager over the solution center and I got a different answer. They really like the general idea of a cookbook fundraiser, were even impressed with the outlined list of how to do it without breaking policy, but the way it's being talked about on ChefSuccess doesn't follow company policy and procedures. She said she contacted her supervisor and apparently there's been talk between departments on how to respond to callers and emailers. So I got a lot of information on how to tweak the plan to follow policy. It requires a bit more paperwork and time and it's not as huge of a profit as we were expecting, but it's very doable and still FAR better than the 15% we normally give. But based on the changes in the plan, we can't guarantee anything above 15% even though the amount could soar to far above 40-50% based on donation amounts.

I know its frustrating to have to call in, but there were several points of change that have to be done and word of mouth tends to mess the interpretation up. BE SURE to write down the name of the person you talked to, the date, the time, and notes on what you asked and what they said. That way when they call you about your order (once you submit an order for like 1,000 cookbooks), you can give them specifics on how you conducted your fundraiser/cookingshow and who gave you approval.

Just one of the differences was that every single customer must be on a separate order--no combining orders, just like at a regular show. This change is extremely important because if someone is ordering more than one or two cookbooks, it could mean an investigation. I think they're watching this idea like a hawk. They want it to succeed, but also want there to be NO misunderstandings. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually contact several individual customers on each of our orders to discuss the fundraiser and donation amounts (or contact us if we don't include contact information on individual customers).

I specifically asked if she could please send me the plan we discussed IN WRITING so that when I relayed it to everyone here, I wouldn't be inserting my words or my thoughts accidentally. She said that they're at the phones ready to answer any consultant's/director's specific questions on the "cookbook fundraiser" (or she said it's not an official cookbook fundraiser, but a fundraiser that includes promoting primarily cookbooks) and that she would appreciate it if I didn't relay their answer. I know, it sucks, but I feel like it's important that every person call in specifically to get "clearance." She said the answer will depend on your question. And I get the feeling that they keep track of who is calling, but I may have been off there.

Oh...another thing, they're alerting inventory so that quantity won't be a big concern. :D

Typcial MondayYeah so this is the second time I've called HO and the hold time was 20+ minutes. Since I work in an office that is really quiet, I try to get away to call. It's a conversation that I would rather not have folks around me hear. Not that it's a bad conversation. ;-) I will try to call on my way home.

LibrarianChef - thanks for checking into that for us. I guess there will be a lot of us calling in to get details.

LibrarianChef said:
In addition to emails, I have two new calls into a supervisor and manager of HO. I had their direct phone numbers, but when I called in I got voice mail. But...I have to say that I've heard through the grapevine from someone else who called in that this idea is being shut down completely. Field services basically said that if they got a large order for primarily cookbooks, they won't likely fill the order--it's at their discretion.

UPDATE...

Okay, I'm a little bit speechless. I just got my own phone call back from the manager over the solution center and I got a different answer. They really like the general idea of a cookbook fundraiser, were even impressed with the outlined list of how to do it without breaking policy, but the way it's being talked about on ChefSuccess doesn't follow company policy and procedures. She said she contacted her supervisor and apparently there's been talk between departments on how to respond to callers and emailers. So I got a lot of information on how to tweak the plan to follow policy. It requires a bit more paperwork and time and it's not as huge of a profit as we were expecting, but it's very doable and still FAR better than the 15% we normally give. But based on the changes in the plan, we can't guarantee anything above 15% even though the amount could soar to far above 40-50% based on donation amounts.

I know its frustrating to have to call in, but there were several points of change that have to be done and word of mouth tends to mess the interpretation up. BE SURE to write down the name of the person you talked to, the date, the time, and notes on what you asked and what they said. That way when they call you about your order (once you submit an order for like 1,000 cookbooks), you can give them specifics on how you conducted your fundraiser/cookingshow and who gave you approval.

Just one of the differences was that every single customer must be on a separate order--no combining orders, just like at a regular show. This change is extremely important because if someone is ordering more than one or two cookbooks, it could mean an investigation. I think they're watching this idea like a hawk. They want it to succeed, but also want there to be NO misunderstandings. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually contact several individual customers on each of our orders to discuss the fundraiser and donation amounts (or contact us if we don't include contact information on individual customers).

I specifically asked if she could please send me the plan we discussed IN WRITING so that when I relayed it to everyone here, I wouldn't be inserting my words or my thoughts accidentally. She said that they're at the phones ready to answer any consultant's/director's specific questions on the "cookbook fundraiser" (or she said it's not an official cookbook fundraiser, but a fundraiser that includes promoting primarily cookbooks) and that she would appreciate it if I didn't relay their answer. I know, it sucks, but I feel like it's important that every person call in specifically to get "clearance." She said the answer will depend on your question. And I get the feeling that they keep track of who is calling, but I may have been off there.

Oh...another thing, they're alerting inventory so that quantity won't be a big concern. :D

Okay, so what if one child sells 10 cookbooks? I can understand the need to put down orders to work with shipping, but I would think that there would be an easier way to combine some of the orders so that you can still donnate $4 of the $5. How is it different than if two or more people at a show combine their orders to one big order?

That's how I was going to do it too. It would be easier for me and the organization to submit each order by student. That student could sell 1 or 50 cookbooks. Who knows. For tracking purposes, it just seems better that way.

So, what's the number we should call to get specifics? It's not the 888-our chef is it?
Thanks for all your help!

chefann said:
LibrarianChef - thanks for checking into that for us. I guess there will be a lot of us calling in to get details.

They want a head count of who all is going to do this. My director just called in after I did and she said they told her they're logging each and every call today. You really do want to have their "go ahead" on file. ;)

TIP: I wouldn't call it a cookbook fundraiser, but a fundraiser that promotes primarily cookbooks. And I WOULDN'T say that you were going to charge $15 per cookbook. Try to let them do the talking and fill you in on the finer points.

Leigh0725 said:
Okay, so what if one child sells 10 cookbooks? I can understand the need to put down orders to work with shipping, but I would think that there would be an easier way to combine some of the orders so that you can still donnate $4 of the $5. How is it different than if two or more people at a show combine their orders to one big order?

I can only speak from what difference I would see after speaking with them, but I'm not speaking FOR HO. At a show, two people who are best buds might get together and decide to combine their order knowing that one of them won't get a receipt and won't have a donation receipt for their income tax filings. They have, what, 30 days to decide if they like the cookbook? And if they don't then one of them might grab their friend and ask to borrow the receipt so they could get their money and tax back. But on a fundraiser, if you or the organization gets all of these bulk orders and randomly put several people under one receipt (based on who the teacher/student is) without the cusomer's knowledge or consent, you've robbed customers of an official receipt and tax deduction.

Furthermore, in regards to combining orders, there IS a concern of shipping on this fundraising idea. If WE the consultants are taking shipping money from each order at our discretion instead of letting each individual person decide how many cookbooks they are ordering for their $4 shipping, then we're mixing up the rules of the game and working them toward our (or the company's) advantage without the consent of TPC.

I'm actually amazed they're letting this fundraiser happen and they're even PREPARING for it to happen. WOW! :eek: I totally expected a big fat NO when I called today. If this goes well and we can all follow the procedures, then who knows what will happen next September. It would be incredible if this were to become a "thing." :)

Last edited:
And might I add...that if there are a ton of people who TAKE ADVANTAGE and stick it to PC and not charge enough shipping, you can bet your bottom dollar that this could be the LAST we ever see of cookbooks on sale.

We need to think of HO's point (paying to ship all of these) and the customers point (needing a receipt for tax reasons)

Actually, the customers won't have anything to write off on their taxes. When purchasing a product as part of a fundraiser, you can only write off the amount paid that is over and above the retail price. Since the cookbooks are usually $14.75 plus tax and shipping, customers aren't spending any more for them than they would normally and therefore have nothing they can write off.

chefann said:
Actually, the customers won't have anything to write off on their taxes. When purchasing a product as part of a fundraiser, you can only write off the amount paid that is over and above the retail price. Since the cookbooks are usually $14.75 plus tax and shipping, customers aren't spending any more for them than they would normally and therefore have nothing they can write off.

And speaking as someone who has bought TONS of Girl Scout Cookies, and Boy Scout Popcorn....and filled out my name and products on a sheet very similar to what was attached to this thread - I have NEVER received a receipt from any of the munchkins selling. I can't see where we are "robbing" people of a receipt. And when was the last time you returned anything you bought as part of a fundraiser? Something like our stones, or other warrantied products - I can see the need then - but for a cookbook? Hmmmm..... (and I'm not trying to argue - just the thoughts that are wandering through my head right now!)

I had those exact same thoughts, Becky. I've never gotten a receipt for a FR purchase from nieces, clustermate's kids, etc.

and I didn't want to stir up trouble with my previous post - just point out that there are specific tax guidelines when people purchase a product as part of a fundraiser.

BreakdownOkay, so what I was thinking: enter an order for each student. So if the student has five cookbooks ordered (let's say for parents, neighbor, grandma, etc...), there would be one receipt per child. I can recall when purchasing cookie dough or frozen pizzas (or even girl scout cookies), you don't receive a receipt.

The school is willing to print out receipts with their letterhead on it with the note to contact me if there needs to be an exchange or refund. I don't mind doing this part of the work since I don't anticipate the need to do many exchanges or returns. If there are 200 kids participating, then there would be $800 for shipping. I honestly don't forsee kids selling more than 10 cookbooks. We'd like to see each kid sell about 5 books. If for some reason there is a child that has a lot of books, I don't mind splitting that into two orders. I just cannot phathom having to enter 800+ orders. Due to our tax rate being higher (7.525), I figured that we will need to charge $16 per book, have $4 go to the school and $2 go to tax and SH.

***I still need to get nitty gritty details from HO, planning to call them on my way home tonight***

I have a Cub Scout leader that has asked about doing a fundraiser for their pack. If she has it in September and the cookbooks are the guest special and there are a lot of the guests that order, say for Christmas or birthday presents, will this throw a red flag to HO so that they will contact guests or host about why so many cookbooks are ordered? I have never done a fundraiser yet in 2 1/2 years with TPC. I am afraid that that would scare some folks away or give TPC a tainted view if they are calling to see why a person bought several cookbooks. Any comments?

chefann said:

Well, without getting into the nitty gritty of all the new rules for this fundraiser, it's kinda hard to respond. ;) But from the way I was shown how to document each purchase on their receipt, they would see exactly what their donated amount was. Even one cookbook would render a donation of 30 cents if they paid $15 per cookbook in my state. But for those who buy multiple books for Christmas gifts, that's when the donation amount gets important.

John Smith bought 3 cookbooks:
Cookbooks were $30
Shipping is $4
Tax is 7%=$2.10
Donated amount is $8.90
TOTAL PAID= $45

Sally Jones bought 10 cookbooks:
Cookbooks were $100.00
Shipping is $4.00
Tax is 7%=$7.00
Donation amount is $39.00
TOTAL PAID= $150

At the end of the entire fundraiser we should be able to tell the company how much they're receiving in actual donations (we can't say $5 per cookbook because it's different per order), how much they've received as donation from TPC (15%), and how much of our commission we're donating.

This is why we can't promise anything more than 15%, too. They're assuming that many, many orders will be for only one or two cookbooks. So that's only a few cents extra per order. But for those few people who buy 3-5 cookbooks, that will pump up the profit amount a bit. We just don't know HOW much until we take all of the orders.

ChefBeckyD said:
And speaking as someone who has bought TONS of Girl Scout Cookies, and Boy Scout Popcorn....and filled out my name and products on a sheet very similar to what was attached to this thread - I have NEVER received a receipt from any of the munchkins selling.

I don't believe Girl Scout Cookies or Boy Scout Popcorn do their fundraisers with a donated amount. Usually there's just a set amount for each box when I buy them. I'm not agreeing to donate an amount IN ADDITION to the regular price of the item. If TPC were a regular fundraising company then they would do this a different way. But on our receipts we must tell everyone how much their donation amount is. We can have cheat sheets fixed up for parents/students to carry with them that tells them how much for 1 book, 2 books, 3 books, and so on.

ChefBeckyD said:
I can't see where we are "robbing" people of a receipt. And when was the last time you returned anything you bought as part of a fundraiser? Something like our stones, or other warrantied products - I can see the need then - but for a cookbook? Hmmmm..... (and I'm not trying to argue - just the thoughts that are wandering through my head right now!)

Sorry, don't shoot the messenger. :eek: I totally understand.

I imagine many of you are getting a better explanation on the phone than what I'm allowed to give. It may seem ridiculous when explained in bits and pieces like this, too. I just know that every buyer has to be given a real receipt with warranty printed on the back and donation amount included in the write up. And part of this is definitely ensuring consultant accountability. We're required to disclose everything up front to the customer--every person knows EXACTLY how much they're paying in shipping and EXACTLY how much they've donated and they'll know EXACTLY how much they'll get back from TPC if they decide they don't want their book or if the binding breaks during their warranty period. If we told them it was $4 in shipping per book, that's essentially lying. And if we combine orders and shipping ends up being cheaper for them than what we quoted, we're lying. Does any of that make sense? :blushing:

They told me that we may not under any circumstances combine orders for this fundraiser and every single person must receive a receipt for their own order. Once TPC sees how this goes this could very possibly be a continual thing. :D But I wouldn't be surprised if they contact several of the companies after the fact and ask them how they liked the fundraiser and asked about any problems in procedure, etc. They could simply approach them under the guise that this was a new fundraising option and they wanted to make sure everyone was pleased and understood the procedures for taking orders, etc. :)

Leigh0725 said:
I can recall when purchasing cookie dough or frozen pizzas (or even girl scout cookies), you don't receive a receipt.

I believe those are all fundraiser companies without warrantied or guaranteed products. So there's no need to prove that you bought from them. That's the difference, from what I understand. TPC has a level of pride in their products and policy mandates that every customer have a way to return their item for 30 days or 1 year or whatever the time-frame is for each product.

Again, I'm just relaying what I understand. And there's more to it all than this, obviously. I should probably log off and encourage everyone again to call HO for details and approval. ;) I know that the other way of doing this would have been much more profitable, but this is the only way for TPC to legally do this.

Last edited:
do we just call the 1-888-Our-chef number and speak with whoever answers? or do we need to speak with someone specific or a specific department?

abrahamlaur said:
do we just call the 1-888-Our-chef number and speak with whoever answers? or do we need to speak with someone specific or a specific department?

Yes, select #3. I only spoke with a supervisor and manager because they've worked with me on other issues so I happened to have their direct phone number. But they said after being made aware of what was going on, all of their reps are equipped to answer questions about this fundraiser. :)

So, I just called HO 1-888-687-2433 and asked if I could do a fundraiser that mainly promoted the cookbooks in Sept. She did put me on hold for a few minutes and came back and said yes. No questions asked, no explaination...nothing. Just a plain yes. I even repeated myself when she came back on the line, and again she said yes. Did I call the right number??? Seems like those who have called about this have received more detailed instruction.

Melissa

awesome, thanks ... i'm going to call once my daughter goes to bed so i can pay attention to the conversation rather than half on them, half on my daughter LOL

melissalough said:
So, I just called HO 1-888-687-2433 and asked if I could do a fundraiser that mainly promoted the cookbooks in Sept. She did put me on hold for a few minutes and came back and said yes. No questions asked, no explaination...nothing. Just a plain yes. I even repeated myself when she came back on the line, and again she said yes. Did I call the right number??? Seems like those who have called about this have received more detailed instruction.

Melissa

That's so aggravating! They're thinking: Well yes, you can just do a normal fundraiser that promotes cookbooks in any month. In September you'd charge $10 per cookbook and the company would get 15% if they sold $600 worth. That's a normal fundraiser. But it's the additional donation amount that they'll have to talk you through for legal purposes. For example, that order form we all downloaded off here with each cookbook listed at $15 is a no-go. It has to be far more detailed than that detailing every penny.

Ugh, I hate it when they just wait for you to ask the right questions. My director talked to them for a long time today and said there are all sorts of legal things they're having to be careful of. When consultants call in, the reps can't SUGGEST the idea that you ask for a donation amount or even assume that's what you're calling about. They have to assume only what you tell them and they're assuming you're talking about a normal fundraiser. And you probably had to sit on hold forever, too. :( :yuck:

I'm sorry I suggested to keep it short and simple. :( :( :( In a nutshell, they know we have to get special approval to do anything other than a normal fundraiser, but they can't ask if that's what you're calling about.

do you suggest something specific we ask? heres what i'm thinking of asking ...

is it possible to do a fundraiser that is primarily for cookbooks in sept. where the school will ask for a donation on top of the sale price?

do you think thats okay to ask?

abrahamlaur said:
do you suggest something specific we ask? heres what i'm thinking of asking ...

is it possible to do a fundraiser that is primarily for cookbooks in sept. where the school will ask for a donation on top of the sale price?

do you think thats okay to ask?

That *should* get you the answers they're waiting to give. Because no matter how we look at this, we'll be dealing with donated amounts--especially if someone buys more than one book.

My mind is twirling from all of this. I don't understand the "donated" amount and why this is going to be different from a regular fundraiser with the guest special cookbooks as the main or only item being purchased. Can someone explain it to me like a 3 year old, please:D ::eek:
I have a terrible migrane today and stuff is not making sense like I know it should and I definately want to be on the list.
TIA

krzymomof4 said:
My mind is twirling from all of this. I don't understand the "donated" amount and why this is going to be different from a regular fundraiser with the guest special cookbooks as the main or only item being purchased. Can someone explain it to me like a 3 year old, please:D ::eek:
I have a terrible migrane today and stuff is not making sense like I know it should and I definately want to be on the list.
TIA
The cookbooks are on sale for $10. So, the organization will make the normal fundraiser % on that sale. But, if folks would want to add on an additional $5 say...it would go directly to the organization. (That's not exact totals, you need to add tax and shipping per order, but you get the general idea!)

Donnation Break downOkay - so created a spreadsheet in Excel to help with the break down of the costs/donnations. It really SUCKS that our tax rate is so high (7.525%). In order for the organization to get any donnation on just one cookbook being bought, the price needs to be $16. In actuality, it's still a great deal b/c buying a regular cookbook here would be over $20. ($14.74 + 4) * 1.07525 = $20.15

So I can't upload a .xls file here. :-( I copied what I created in Excel and pasted it into Word. Of course your figures will be differe based on tax %, but it gives you a general idea.

Attachments

• number of cookbooks.doc
    93.5 KB · Views: 366
so, should I call back?

melissalough said:
so, should I call back?

I would simply because they didn't get to give you the whole run-down of information and they asked me not to list it out here because they wanted to talk to each person individually.

I don't know exactly what they're doing with these, but my director told me they're keeping track of names and numbers and conversations (I think they're recorded, right?). This way you can also ask all of your questions about this. You'll probably think of another question or two that goes along with the fundraiser. :)

<h2>1. How does the cookbook fundraiser work?</h2><p>The cookbook fundraiser allows organizations to sell Pampered Chef cookbooks at a discounted price and keep a portion of the profits for their cause. The organization purchases the cookbooks at a wholesale price and then sells them at a higher price to raise funds.</p><h2>2. What is the suggested selling price for the cookbooks?</h2><p>The suggested selling price for the cookbooks is $15 each. This allows the organization to make a profit of $5 per cookbook.</p><h2>3. Can individuals participate in the cookbook fundraiser?</h2><p>Yes, individuals can also participate in the cookbook fundraiser. They can purchase cookbooks at the discounted price and resell them at a higher price to raise funds for their chosen cause.</p><h2>4. What type of organizations can benefit from the cookbook fundraiser?</h2><p>The cookbook fundraiser is great for a variety of organizations such as schools, churches, sports teams, and non-profit organizations. It can also be used by individuals looking to raise funds for a specific cause.</p><h2>5. How can I get started with the cookbook fundraiser?</h2><p>To get started with the cookbook fundraiser, simply contact a Pampered Chef consultant or visit our website to learn more about the process. We also provide resources and support to help make your fundraiser a success.</p>

1. How does the cookbook fundraiser work?

The cookbook fundraiser allows organizations to sell Pampered Chef cookbooks at a discounted price and keep a portion of the profits for their cause. The organization purchases the cookbooks at a wholesale price and then sells them at a higher price to raise funds.

2. What is the suggested selling price for the cookbooks?

The suggested selling price for the cookbooks is $15 each. This allows the organization to make a profit of $5 per cookbook.

3. Can individuals participate in the cookbook fundraiser?

Yes, individuals can also participate in the cookbook fundraiser. They can purchase cookbooks at the discounted price and resell them at a higher price to raise funds for their chosen cause.

4. What type of organizations can benefit from the cookbook fundraiser?

The cookbook fundraiser is great for a variety of organizations such as schools, churches, sports teams, and non-profit organizations. It can also be used by individuals looking to raise funds for a specific cause.

5. How can I get started with the cookbook fundraiser?

To get started with the cookbook fundraiser, simply contact a Pampered Chef consultant or visit our website to learn more about the process. We also provide resources and support to help make your fundraiser a success.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
tfinetwins
  • scottcooks
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pamperedpals
  • BlessedWifeMommy
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies