• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Disappointing Host Experience: Reflecting on the Challenges and Lessons Learned

In summary, the conversation is about a challenging show at an apartment complex where the hostess was not present and the orders were delayed due to a payment issue. The consultant is considering how to handle the situation professionally and whether to inform the remaining guests of the delay. There are also mentions of other challenging experiences in the consultant's past.
scottcooks
Gold Member
Unbelievable! Show was Aug 24, Friday. Demo for "whole" apartment complex, 650 units. I bought 675 mini catalogs, made an invitation , folded them all, taped a mini catalog in each, rubber-banded them through a hole punch, then gave them to complex...took me a week to process themall. They took nearly as long to get them all hung.

I bought a trifle bowl to give away, plus a scraper. 50 ish people came to the open house, only 10 stayed for the demo. Only 5 orders, less than 150. But...:confused: the Hostess wasn't there:confused: She was a manager at this complex, who had been 'pulled away to assist at another property 3 days prior' - so she put someone else in charge. They did buy food, but missed on several ingredients (poblano peppers instead of jalapeno - OUCH!!) and one of the mangers who placed an order was constantly heckling me throughout the demo.

Finally on Sept 10, I get the payment check (75cents short) for the hosts order, whom I had threatened I was sending the show in at 10am without her order. (She had the chek for me at 4pm that afternoon...I should've fired her, then!) That day, the heckler gal cancelled her order. Fine. Bless & release.

I go to send in the order, and I've been placed on a cash-only basis because some other transactions in my sole checking a/c were returned, and two consecutive shows bounced to HO. :cry: So people who paid on time are penalized because this gal messed us all up. If orders had gone in the night of the show, funds would have been in place.

The show is in picking now, but one of the other managers called HO to complain and wants her money back. So I'm going to drop off cash tomorrow, and cancel her order in HO tonight.

The show will end up being about $40 in individual orders, but the host won't get a dang thing. She earned it!

The deal is, I feel obligated to let the remaining 3 guests know what happened - how to do it and maintain professionalism? I am thinking of just writing a note that says one customer was unable to pay for her order, and that delayed the entire show.

Suggestions???:yuck:

-praying for Paige and her family-

ouch! sounds like a big ol fat mess. Good luck.

sounds like a note would be a good idea if you can't talk to them in person, but I think I would be sure to Customer Service them to the hilt so they know this is not the norm for you. By the way sorry I missed your call, hope all is well?

I would just bless and release--no matter what you say to the "guests" it won't matter--besides, I bet they "know" her and her personality. I'd just send them a note thanking them for their order and refer them to your website if they need anything else. Believe me, these things happen (after 7+ years I could totally tell you stories--kids kicking me, cats biting me, hosts not even being home when I got there after I had spoken to them an hour earlier, I've seen it all). Fortunately, 99% of our hosts are not like this, and it's the other 1% that make for interesting party talk, LOL. Sorry this happened to you, but these things do happen. I bet managers of Target stores have their fair share of stories, too. what goes around comes around, believe me.

When I have had a credit card not go through, I contact the card holder and then I let the host know that there was a delay in the order because of a guest' card. I make sure to remain professional by not mentioning who. It would be a good idea to personally call those three who ordered and let them know the entire show was delayed by one order and maybe throw in a season's best for the delay. Let them know this is not the norm and you are here to be of service to them in the future.

Oh, Scott, you poor thing! <<<HUGS>>>I think a note would be a good idea. Something simple along the lines you mentioned would let them know that the situation was beyond your control.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Bless and release. I would not invest any more money in that show but I would give those that did order a quick call and let them know that there was a delay in payment of an order and that's why it is taking so long for theirs to come in but that they should have them no later than early next week. If they are picking, I would bet you'll have them by Saturday and they will be happy to get them "early". Then with their order, write a short thank you.

I had to write a note to a few guests from a show I had when I was with another direct sales company. Just be careful on what you say in the note. Making sure not to mention names.
The host from this show I did called me and threatened to sue me for talking about her to the guests. I called my lawyer and he said as long as I didn't mention any names and I was providing the customer service that was needed to complete the show I was fine.
She never bothered me again.

Kelly V.

I'd call and leave a message - nothing in writing. I'd say something like "I enjoyed meeting you at the show and hope you enjoy your products. They'll arrive a little later than I hoped because there's been some confusion closing the show. I'd love to have a more intimate gathering in your home so you could earn products free. Please contact me so we can have fun showing your friends a new recipe."

Oh i am sorry Scott.... ((((HUGS)))...... and I know how you feel with being on a cash only bases... I have to fix that this week with HO becasue of host not getting checks to me in time... I have started a new policy though... I won't submit the show until I have all checks in hand....... I dont' even deposit checks until the show is closed... and read to be submitted!!! Bless and release thsi host!!!! I would call and leave a message like the others have said!!!

1. How do I fire the host if they are not meeting their sales goals?

If a host is not meeting their sales goals, it is important to have a conversation with them first to try to understand the reasons behind it. If they are unable to improve their sales, you can politely explain that their hosting duties will need to be reassigned to another individual who may be better suited for the role.

2. Is there a specific protocol for firing a host?

While there is no set protocol for firing a host, it is important to handle the situation with professionalism and empathy. Have a conversation with the host to explain the reasons for the decision and offer support in finding a new hosting opportunity.

3. Can I fire a host if they cancel their party at the last minute?

If a host cancels their party at the last minute, it is understandable to feel frustrated. However, it is important to remember that unexpected circumstances can arise. Have a conversation with the host to understand the reason for the cancellation and offer support for rescheduling the party if possible.

4. How do I handle firing a host who is a close friend or family member?

Firing a host who is a close friend or family member can be a difficult situation. It is important to approach the conversation with empathy and understanding. Be honest about the reasons for the decision and offer support in finding a new hosting opportunity or helping them with their sales goals.

5. What should I do if a host becomes aggressive or confrontational when being fired?

If a host becomes aggressive or confrontational when being fired, it is important to remain calm and professional. Let them know that you understand their frustration but the decision has been made. If necessary, involve a manager or human resources representative to help de-escalate the situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • otisbg
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pc_cindy
  • amy07