• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Differentiating Credit vs Debit Cards: Tips for Identifying Card Types

In summary, the guest wants to charge something to a credit card and something else to a debit card. However, the numbers from the two shows are different, so the guest does not know which one is which. The guest can use this information to call the issuing bank and find out which number is the card number.
beepampered
Do you know of a way to tell if a card number is a credit versus a debit card? A guest from numerous shows wants me to charge something to her credit card and something else on a different upcoming show to her debit card. Unfortunately, I have two different numbers from two different shows but I don't know which one is which. Thanks...

I don't think there is anyway of knowing just by looking at the numbers, you may have to call her and explain the situation. You're human after all and she's a repeat customer which says something Im sure she will understand. You can also use this as a customer care call.

Ask her the last four digits of which card and you can just copy and paste to correct it.

She's on vacation for two weeks so I can't call her. That's why she gave me this hurried message cause there were different shows closing at different times. I guess I'll try to wait or just use the wrong card and catch grief later. Sigh.

Are they the same type of card. Both Visa, or are they different. One Visa one Mastercard? AmEx starts with a 3, Visa start with a 4, MasterCard with a 5, and I think Discover cards start with a 6. Hopefully that helps! Good Luck!!

Okay, this is right up my alley!! As a former fraud investigator for Visa, I can tell you a sure way to find out, but it's pretty involved.

First, if it's a Visa--call 1-800-Visa-911 you should get an automated system that will tell you the phone number to the issuing bank. Then call them to find out.
For a MC the number is 1-800-MC-Assist. Go through the same steps as the Visa and you will know!!

Donna's previous tip about the starting numbers is right on!! Use that to determine which number to call. Obviously, the Amex and Discover don't issue debit cards, so you can rule those out.

Let me know if you need anything else!!!

What is the main difference between a credit card and a debit card?

A credit card allows you to borrow money from the card issuer, while a debit card is linked to your bank account and uses your own funds to make purchases.

How can I identify if a card is a credit or debit card?

Look for the card type logo on the front of the card. Credit cards typically have a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express logo, while debit cards may have these logos or a logo of your bank.

Can I use a debit card as a credit card?

Yes, some debit cards have the option to be used as credit cards for certain transactions. However, the funds will still be withdrawn from your bank account.

What are the benefits of using a credit card over a debit card?

Credit cards often offer rewards and cashback programs, purchase protection, and fraud protection. They can also help you build credit if used responsibly.

Are there any fees associated with using a credit or debit card?

Both credit and debit cards may have fees such as annual fees, foreign transaction fees, and overdraft fees. It's important to read the terms and conditions of your specific card to understand any potential fees.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ShellBeach
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Becca_in_MD
  • sarahsellcm
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • chefsteph07