• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Did You Know This About Cooking Sprays?

In summary, Julie thinks that using sprays like Pam are one molecule away from the components of PLASTIC. Dotty says that margarine is also one molecule away from plastic, we only use real butter in our house, and Andrea thinks that pre-shredded cheese has wood by-product in it.
strasfamily
Maybe this is common knowledge...

My husband's trainer at the gym told him that cooking sprays like Pam are one molecule away from the components of PLASTIC. :eek: This is a good selling point for the Kitchen Spritzer.

EW that's gross!

I sell a lot of oil spritzers when I tell them that the last 2 ingredients in a can of Pam are the same as the last 2 in a can of RAID!!!!! I am sure it is just the aerosol propellants, but I do not want to take any chances.

not only that, but the chemicals that are in those sprays will eat the coating on your pans!

I would be careful what we say about the sprays though. We have to use them in the new silicone cupcake pan. The kitchen spritzer will just have all the oil sitting at the bottom. They specifically told us that we have to use a spray purchased from the store.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Julie

jhammer22 said:
I would be careful what we say about the sprays though. We have to use them in the new silicone cupcake pan. The kitchen spritzer will just have all the oil sitting at the bottom. They specifically told us that we have to use a spray purchased from the store.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Julie

that is when you either don't tell them about the plastic issue! (LOL) or you tell them to use a natural non-chemical based spray.

Do you realize that O2 is just one molecule away from CO2? One lets you breathe just fine, the other will suffocate you. ;)

It's all well and good to be aware of the chemical additives in our food stuff, and to avoid those things that make us ill, but let's not panic, mmmkay? :)

You're hilarious!! I was thinking along similar lines!!

I'm with Julie - I heard as well in a workshop at conference that you have to use the spray when using the new silicone cupcake pan. They said that when they used the spritzer it all gathered in the creases of the flowers and didn't work well at all.

They also used Pam when they made the Asparagus roll thing from the new Celebrations recipe. When you get your DVDs watch for that. She sprayed the dough then folded up the asparagus then sprayed them again ON THE STONEWARE before placing them in the oven.

Chef Kearns said:
They also used Pam when they made the Asparagus roll thing from the new Celebrations recipe. When you get your DVDs watch for that. She sprayed the dough then folded up the asparagus then sprayed them again ON THE STONEWARE before placing them in the oven.

I asked about this -- it's because that is a SS recipe and the kit doesnt come with the spritzer.

My Director said that Pam also has the same ingredients as rocket fuel or something like that. I just use Bakers Joy.

I've heard the same thing said about "Cool Whip" in the past. Who knows if it's actually true. But if you're worried, Mazolla makes a natural spray that doesn't contain silicone, and it works just as good.

Thanks, Dotty! I may have that in my kitchen and I'll just switch to it.

Margarine is also one molecule away from plastic, we only use real butter in our house.

And, pre-shredded cheese...if you read the label, has wood by-product! That is what that dusty like substance is...but, I guess that is another way to get your fiber!!

I was just going to post that about the margarine Andrea! It has never hurt us before, so I am not worried.

soonerchef said:
Margarine is also one molecule away from plastic, we only use real butter in our house.

And, pre-shredded cheese...if you read the label, has wood by-product! That is what that dusty like substance is...but, I guess that is another way to get your fiber!!

Since I've been with PC, I don't bother with the pre-shredded stuff. And I just LOVE real butter. And real ice cream, too. LOL

I have a lot of chemists in my family, so bear with me...but

Everything we eat or drink or breathe has some kind of "chemical" in it. We are full of chemicals as human beings. When we eat something, our body sends the food through a "chemical process". All processes that combine two elements is known as a "chemical process". Refined sugar, refined & bleached flours, splenda, aspartame, sucrolose, milk, all of it is processed - chemically.

By the fact that we selling cooking products, we're asking our customers to engage in chemical processing. When you grill something and get it charred, you are causing chemical processing. Some studies say that charred bits of meats are then carcenogenic and can cause cancer. (granted this is a very very simple form of chemical processing, but you're changing the format and structure of the original product)

It is my personal opinion that I'd rather sell my products by benefits, than by fear. I'd rather talk about the cost benefit and perhaps the health benefit to one of our products versus a commerically produced product because then we're positively impacting their lives. I don't want anyone I come in contact with to go home and spray something with Pam or use pre-shredded cheese and feel like a bad mom who's poisoning her kids because she didn't buy something from me.

Just my two cents. I am not trying to make anyone feel bad, but just give a different opinion on the matter. I beleive highly in the power of positivity and sometimes I get down, but I also beleive that in order for me to look and feel good, I must do it by not purposefully making other people feel bad or look bad. While I really want people to have our products, I want them to come back to me and want to buy them for the right reasons.

Stephanie, I couldn't agree more! I don't use the shock-value approach in my shows, but rather encourage something healthier. Of course I enjoy the things that are bad for you, but I also like that by making some small changes, you can make big improvements.

Like the Ellen Degeneres bit says: "I'm sitting at home eating my dinner and the news promo comes on... 'Something on your plate right now could be killing you... News at 11.' I'm thinking: Is it peas? Is it peas?"

I don't want to alarm anyone, but help them be informed.

(OOPS - I didn't mean to delete this, I thought I was deleting an edit I made to it...So I'm reposting it because otherwise, Anne looks insane!)

I have a lot of chemists in my family, so bear with me...but

Everything we eat or drink or breathe has some kind of "chemical" in it. We are full of chemicals as human beings. When we eat something, our body sends the food through a "chemical process". All processes that combine two elements is known as a "chemical process". Refined sugar, refined & bleached flours, splenda, aspartame, sucrolose, milk, all of it is processed - chemically.

By the fact that we selling cooking products, we're asking out customers to engage in chemical processing. When you grill something and get it charred, you are causing chemical processing. Some studies say that charred bits of meats are then carcenogenic and can cause cancer. (granted this is a very very simple form of chemical processing, but you're changing the format and structure of the original product)

It is my personal opinion that I'd rather sell my products by benefits, than by fear. I'd rather talk about the cost benefit and perhaps the health benefit to one of our products versus a commerically produced product because then we're positively impacting their lives. I don't want anyone I come in contact with to go home and spray something with Pam or use pre-shredded cheese and feel like a bad mom who's poisoning her kids because she didn't buy something from me.

Just my two cents. I am not trying to make anyone feel bad, but just give a different opinion on the matter. I beleive highly in the power of positivity and sometimes I get down, but I also beleive that in order for me to look and feel good, I must do it by not purposefully making other people feel bad or look bad.

Last edited:
AJPratt said:
Like the Ellen Degeneres bit says: "I'm sitting at home eating my dinner and the news promo comes on... 'Something on your plate right now could be killing you... News at 11.' I'm thinking: Is it peas? Is it peas?"

Exactly. Everynight I tell my fiance "I can't bear another night of news because I just don't want to know what else is going to kill me, who else is going to be a predator to my son, how many more people got shot"

Using sensationalism doesn't INFORM people but rather makes them scared, the more scared you have people the less informed they're apt to be because they're running on adrenaline and fear only. I ADORE things that are bad for me. Do I know they're bad for me? Well yes, my large rear-end says I've probably figured it out. Could I do better? Sure. Can I make myself informed? Yes absolutely. Do different people react differently to different chemicals? Absolutely.

StephanieTPC said:
Do I know they're bad for me? Well yes, my large rear-end says I've probably figured it out.

OMG!!!:eek: I just erupted with laughter AND you made me snort!!!

And, BTW, I will make myself look insane on my own thank-you-very-much!

soonerchef said:

I've heard that if you set a tub of margarine outside not even ants will mess with it.

jenniferlynne said:
I've heard that if you set a tub of margarine outside not even ants will mess with it.
Yikes!!!!!

Here's an interesting thing, too...In the non-stick Executive Cookware use & care, it says specifically NOT to use the aerosol cooking sprays, as they will build up and dull the non-stick coating.However, the recipe that comes with the double-burner griddle calls for cooking spray (not the kitchen spritzer) to be used! Someone really should change that!

chefmelody said:
However, the recipe that comes with the double-burner griddle calls for cooking spray (not the kitchen spritzer) to be used! Someone really should change that!

Has anyone told HO about it??:confused: It sounds like their use and care guide is contradicting one another. (sorry about the spelling LOL)

kat29 said:
Has anyone told HO about it??:confused: It sounds like their use and care guide is contradicting one another. (sorry about the spelling LOL)

I keep meaning to send off an email to them... I'll make sure to do it tonight. This thread reminded me of it! :D

Quote from Snopes.comSnopes.com is a great source when you get those chain letters about people spraying perfume on you to mug you, credit card scams, etc. It will quote the email and tell you which parts are fact or fiction. Below is what they say about margerine, cool whip and cooking spray being one molecule away...

The claim that some comestible is but a "single molecule away" from being a decidedly inedible (or even toxic) substance has been applied to a variety of processed foods:

I was told that the difference between Cool Whip and Styrofoam is one molecule... is this true???

These types of statements (even if they were true) are essentially meaningless. Many disparate substances share similar chemical properties, but even the slightest variation in molecular structure can make a world of difference in the qualities of those substances.

If you would like to know more here is the link:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

I love that site! I check it frquently from emails I get and didn't think to check it about that!

Yes, one molecule away from plastic may seem gross, but one molecule change means a lot. E.g., Water (H2O), is only one molecule away from Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2).

Related to Did You Know This About Cooking Sprays?

1. Is it true that cooking sprays like Pam are one molecule away from plastic?

There is some truth to this statement. Cooking sprays like Pam contain lecithin, which is a type of emulsifier that helps prevent sticking. Lecithin is made up of phospholipids, which are similar in structure to plastic molecules. However, there is no evidence that cooking sprays pose any health risks due to this similarity.

2. Are cooking sprays safe to use?

Yes, cooking sprays are generally safe to use. They are made with food-grade ingredients and are regulated by the FDA. However, it is important to use cooking sprays in moderation and follow the instructions on the label for safe and effective use.

3. Can cooking sprays be used for all types of cooking?

Cooking sprays can be used for most types of cooking, such as frying, baking, and grilling. However, they may not be suitable for high-heat cooking methods, such as broiling or deep-frying. It is best to check the label or contact the manufacturer for specific instructions on using cooking sprays for different types of cooking.

4. Are there any alternatives to cooking sprays?

Yes, there are alternatives to cooking sprays such as using oil or butter to grease pans or using parchment paper. Some people also prefer to use a reusable oil mister to control the amount of oil used in cooking. It is a matter of personal preference and dietary needs.

5. Can cooking sprays help reduce the amount of fat and calories in cooking?

Yes, cooking sprays can help reduce the amount of fat and calories in cooking compared to using oil or butter. They provide a thin and even layer of oil, which can help cut down on the amount of fat used in cooking. However, it is important to still use cooking sprays in moderation and incorporate healthy cooking practices overall.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• D_Patel
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
dawn424383
  • Pamperedatlast
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Sk8Mom209
  • Chef Diane