• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! the Furry Guy Is Trying to Kill Me!

In summary, the husband, known as The Furry Guy, is a frugal man who often finds alternative uses for items bought at auctions. However, his recent purchase of a "Room Scent" spray at an auction turned out to be a strong and unpleasant rose scent that caused the wife to gag. In an attempt to cover up the smell of burning items, the husband used a berry Lysol spray, resulting in a combination of rotting roses and raspberry scents. The wife has taken away the "Room Scent" and warned the husband that she will be sharing this story.
raebates
Staff member
So, those of you who take the time to read my ramblings know that, in addition to being a genius, my husband, The Furry Guy, is very frugal. He is the guy at the auction that buys that box of junk for $1. He usually either finds other uses for things or parts them out for scrap.

On Saturday he bought a box of stuff at an auction. One of the things in the box was something in a glass bottle labeled "Room Scent." I was on the phone with him when he warned me that he "sprayed it three times and it really smelled the place up." What an understatement! :eek: I got home about 45 minutes later and gagged. It's a really strong rose scent. We laughed about it and agreed that we needed to simply get rid of it.

Today I mentioned that our burnables were starting to smell. Some of the things that get tossed in the burn box have food stuff stuck to them, so the hot weather makes it smell a bit fairly quickly. A few minutes later The Furry Guy walks into the room where I'm working and says, "Did it follow me in?"

Seems he decided that there wasn't enough stuff to burn so he sprayed the stuff with the "Room Scent" in order to mask the smell. Two squirts. Later, when I was in the kitchen, I realized that our burn box now smells like rotting roses. :yuck: I told him I really preferred the other smell--you know, the basic rot without the rose overtones.

Twenty minutes later I'm in the kitchen and I smell a really strong raspberry scent. I asked The Furry Guy why the kitchen smelled like raspberry, and he said, "I sprayed the berry Lysol to cover up the rose stuff."

I'm convinced he's engaged in chemical warfare against me. I have hidden the "Room Spray," telling him he cannot be trusted with it. The berry Lysol is next.

And, yes, I warned him I'd be sharing this tale. :p

Oh Rae! I feel for you! I've become so sensitive to smells that I don't spray ANYTHING, even if I LIKE the smell. I cannot imagine what your poor house smells like. Hopefully it will go away soon!

Oh Rae I am soooo sorry but you have me laughing so hard right now I can hardly breathe! I hope the smell will die down soon for you.

Thanks. It's been about 7 hours. The smell is now mostly confined to the area surrounding the burn box. Unfortunately, that's near the dishwasher and the pantry. I've gotta give that stuff props. It has really good hang time. LOL!

Sorry for your smelly situation.
And thanks for the laughing fit it caused here.

Here's a new AV for you.
441px-1930s_gas_mask.jpg

If I can't be a source of inspiration, I'll be a source of amusement. :)

Hey, KG, could I borrow that?

Make it into an AV if you like. I stole it, too.

I meant the gas mask, not the picture. LOL!

I feel for you I can't the smell of most flowers. I would have left the house and said call me when the smell is gone. I hope you got rid of that nasty stuff.

I feel for you! I can't stand (most) room sprays! What I hate most is when someone uses them to try and cover up the smell of smoke (my dad's girlfriend used to do that in the 90s when she smokes) - it's that double smell that is killer! Good luck and may the strongest survive :)

raebates said:
I meant the gas mask, not the picture. LOL!

Every woman needs one of those at some point in life!

raebates said:
So, those of you who take the time to read my ramblings know that, in addition to being a genius, my husband, The Furry Guy, is very frugal. He is the guy at the auction that buys that box of junk for $1. He usually either finds other uses for things or parts them out for scrap.

On Saturday he bought a box of stuff at an auction. One of the things in the box was something in a glass bottle labeled "Room Scent." I was on the phone with him when he warned me that he "sprayed it three times and it really smelled the place up." What an understatement! :eek: I got home about 45 minutes later and gagged. It's a really strong rose scent. We laughed about it and agreed that we needed to simply get rid of it.

Today I mentioned that our burnables were starting to smell. Some of the things that get tossed in the burn box have food stuff stuck to them, so the hot weather makes it smell a bit fairly quickly. A few minutes later The Furry Guy walks into the room where I'm working and says, "Did it follow me in?"

Seems he decided that there wasn't enough stuff to burn so he sprayed the stuff with the "Room Scent" in order to mask the smell. Two squirts. Later, when I was in the kitchen, I realized that our burn box now smells like rotting roses. :yuck: I told him I really preferred the other smell--you know, the basic rot without the rose overtones.

Twenty minutes later I'm in the kitchen and I smell a really strong raspberry scent. I asked The Furry Guy why the kitchen smelled like raspberry, and he said, "I sprayed the berry Lysol to cover up the rose stuff."

I'm convinced he's engaged in chemical warfare against me. I have hidden the "Room Spray," telling him he cannot be trusted with it. The berry Lysol is next.

And, yes, I warned him I'd be sharing this tale. :p

Snort! Too funny... DH thinks I'm trying to kill him with all the Fabreeze I use to cover up potential pet smells and basic sweaty unemployed man smells... :)

The furry guy is funny! :)

Rae - tell him he doesn't get a choice about the burn box now. All of it must go so you can get rid of the rotting berry rose smell!

Oh my - between Rae's Roses and Robyn's propane, this is getting to be a very fumey place!

I LOVE the pic KG! And Rae... I needed a great laugh tonight and thanks to the furry guy and you, I've had it! I hope I haven't wakened anyone but if I did, it was worth it! I hope you guys can burn that stuff tomorrow!

Oh Rae!! That would make me GAG!!

Oh Rae...this is the true test of the "for better or worse" vow. I think along with KG gas mask, there should be an airline bag for the smells!! Maybe The Furry Guy needs a crash course in aroma therapy!! Have his sense of smell tested!!

How you are not tossing your cookies is beyond me!! (and I don't mean the cookies on your computer either!!)

Eeewww!!

Hope the smell is gone by now! I would sneak that spray into the trash when he's not looking, though...just in case he decides to use it again!!

Hey, I haven't seen Rae on here....maybe the Furry guy found some more spray!!! Or perhaps she's kicking his behind out the door with the smelly creation to have him take care of it once and for all!!

I just found this photo of Rae and The Furry Guy going back into the kitchen to clean up.
Bedford%20HS%20Dressout.jpg

Once again...an excellent picture!! Glad you found that...I was beginning to worry!!!

Doncha just love those professional hazmat wash basins? Kiddie pools from Wal-Mart. Actually, that's practical thinking. $7.98 at Wal-Mart, $798.50 from the DOD Hazmat Exchange.

janetupnorth said:
Every woman needs one of those at some point in life!

Yeah but usually it isn't for rose scented room sprays...if you know what I mean :D

When DH comments that his smells like roses, I usually respond with, "And the compost they're grown in!"

Maybe he just drinks The Furry Guy's room freshener.

Thanks for all the sympathy. The smell was mostly gone this morning. The Furry Guy has a decent sense of smell, but I don't. What's weird is that I have difficulty smelling delicate flower scents (roses are definitely not delicately scented), but I'm the first to detect bad smells. Because of this, I'm the first to know when something is going bad or has died in the walls. (Remember, we live out in the boonies. Stray rodents are a common occurance.)This scenario happens frequently. I'll walk in the house and say, "Something's dead. There must be a dead rodent somewhere." The Furry Guy will answer, "No there isn't."Two days later he'll look at me and say, "You're right. Something's dead."I'm not sure why we still have these conversations. You'd think after almost 15 years living in this house he'd believe me. Actually, the 23 years of marriage should give me a bit of credibility.As for the "Room Scent," It's been well hidden. The Furry Guy won't find it until he's ready for the rummage sale. And, yes, I'll be warning people that it's a really strong scent.

Rae, I feel for you!! I have a high sensitivity to smells and I think I would have had to move out just to manage to breathe!!
Glad to hear that the smell is going away!!

Thanks.As for where I was all day, I was visiting with my parents are in Indy. They live in Florida, but theyr'e visiting for several weeks. My brother owns a duplex in Indy, just for such visits. (This makes The Furry Guy very happy because they aren't staying with us.)This is usually a great source of stress for me. However, my mom discovered a kiosk at the mall where they do acupressure massage. She and Dad treated me to an wonderfully relaxing, 22-minute treatment. Trust me, if it can make me feel relaxed after six hours with my mom, it's amazing!

Oh Rae!! I miss you guys so much!! Life has gotten crazy. I was thinking of you all while you were at conference. Thanks for the belly buster!!! LOL!!!

Nice to hear from you, Kristin!

raebates said:
Thanks.

As for where I was all day, I was visiting with my parents are in Indy. They live in Florida, but theyr'e visiting for several weeks. My brother owns a duplex in Indy, just for such visits. (This makes The Furry Guy very happy because they aren't staying with us.)

This is usually a great source of stress for me. However, my mom discovered a kiosk at the mall where they do acupressure massage. She and Dad treated me to an wonderfully relaxing, 22-minute treatment. Trust me, if it can make me feel relaxed after six hours with my mom, it's amazing!

I get what you mean about your mom!! I took my mom on the San Fran trip. By the time we got home, I was so sick of her I wanted to scream. I still have problems sometimes being around her too long...and it has been over a year!! LOL!!

raebates said:
Nice to hear from you, Kristin!

I keep wondering if I made the right decision. I miss this place and it broke my heart not to go to Chicago.

The massage sounds good. Not just the stress of your visit but wearing that hazmat suit to clean up your "tip toe through the tulips" experience!!

This is from my cat to The Furry Guy!! (it's really not my cat's tootsies!!)
smelldez.jpg

1. What did your husband do with the "Room Scent" spray he bought at the auction?

He used it to try and cover up the smell of our burnables, resulting in a strong rose scent that we both found overwhelming.

2. How did your husband try to cover up the rose scent?

He then sprayed berry Lysol, resulting in a strong raspberry scent in the kitchen.

3. Do you think your husband is trying to harm you with these scents?

No, I believe he was just trying to find a way to get rid of the strong smells in our house. However, I have taken precautions and hidden the "Room Scent" and berry Lysol from him.

4. How does your husband typically handle items he buys at auctions?

He is very frugal and usually either finds other uses for things or parts them out for scrap.

5. Was your husband aware that you would be sharing this story?

Yes, I warned him beforehand that I would be sharing this tale.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
AJPratt
Replies
Views
janezapchef
  • raebates
  • General Chat
Replies