• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Bitter Yuck the Solution to My Dog's Couch-Chewing Habit?

usually they mellow out when they are tired.I think this is a great suggestion! When our yorkie was younger, we would take him for walks, play with him, and then put him in his crate when we were done. This helped him to learn that there were times when he couldn't be around people or other dogs.
GeorgiaPeach
Silver Member
Some of you might remember that we got a puppy a few months ago. I am completely new to the whole "dog" thing. She ate her poop and freaked me out...and you guys helped me through it :) So I thought I'd share the latest "Chloe" installment.

She sleeps in the basement with a old, stained recliner my son got FREE at a yard sale and an ugly but in very good condition hide a bed couch. A couple days ago I went down to take her out and she had eaten a hole in the arm of the couch! (Not the ugly, cheap recliner mind you!) It looked like someone took an ice cream scoop and scooped a perfect circle. She ate all the way to the wood frame and had even gnawed on it too :(

I told my husband he better figure out a way to keep her from eating anymore. Well, she started ANOTHER spot.

Today I went to PetSmart and found "Bitter Yuck". Yes, that is really the name. Anyway, I started spraying the ENTIRE couch with the stuff. My son came in the room. The mist had got in our mouths and noses. We opened the door to let in fresh air. Then we started gagging and coughing. Colter started spitting off the deck. We were laughing so hard, then gagging, then coughing, then laughing.

We ran upstairs to get something to drink. I even got down on all fours and started sniffing the glade plug in!! (I'm not exaggerating...I really did this!) The "bitter yuck" had gone up my nose!!

I washed my hands and drank some more and we both settled down. About 20 minutes later I licked my lips....yes, it began all over again. The mist had settled on my face! So I ran to the sink and started washing off my face...with the hand that had sprayed the Bitter Yuck! Can you see where this is going?

All I can say is that if this spray doesn't work and we need to spray again....DH is spraying it!!!

Thanks for the funny story - maybe not so funny for you, but I can just picture this!

I had a dog who shredded all the couch cushions (seats and back) while I was gone at work. He got out of his crate (chewed through the metal!) and went to town.

Notice I said HAD a dog :).

Here's to better days ahead (and keeping my fingers crossed that the spray works!)

I had a dog that chewed while teething, so I started giving him ice cubes to chew on. He slowed down on his chewing on everthing, but I currently have a mixed breed mutt that is eating my deck. I was going up the stairs and noticed a huge chunk out of one of the steps. He is an outside dog, and I don't have him contained we live way out in the boonies.

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I need to put some on our table. Our yorkie, 4 years old tomorrow, likes to pop his ball under our coffee table and chew on it until I get it out. That stuff really work though. We used it when he was a puppy to keep him from eatting our baseboards while we were at work. Of course, we found out the hard way, we had to refinish a couple before it was all said and done, but it works. Maybe you can slipcover the couch and salvage it. Good luck!

I have started giving her ice cubes as a "treat". I dropped one on the floor one day and she had a ball swatting it around the tile floor, then eating it. After I saw that wet mess that made on the floor, she only gets them on the carpet :)

Diane..I have threatened to make our dog ownership past tense also!

Have you ever watched "The Dog Whisperer" - he has lots of great techniques. Usually when a dog starts to chew up stuff, they are bored/frustrated.

When we got our dog, she would go crazy when she was left alone at home. She was used to being in a home with a 2nd pet. We had to get a crate. When we leave, in the crate she goes. She now loves the crate. It's her clubhouse. She goes in there to sleep. Since our baby was born, she now uses it as an escape from the 10 month old too.

I'd suggest more scheduled play time and long walks with the puppy. Wear her out & then put her in the crate to sleep.

GeorgiaPeach said:
I have started giving her ice cubes as a "treat". I dropped one on the floor one day and she had a ball swatting it around the tile floor, then eating it. After I saw that wet mess that made on the floor, she only gets them on the carpet :)

Diane..I have threatened to make our dog ownership past tense also![/QUOTE]

LOL - Cody is still around. He just went with the ex-DH when we split. He turned out to be a decent dog after a few years. The dog, that is, not the ex-DH:D.

Cayene Pepper, works GREAT sprinkle some where you don't want them sniffing, chewing or whatever. Once they get a wiff or a taste the desire is gone.

Our OLD retired vet told us to do this when our dog would not stay out of the garden. Worked.

oh my gosh! I thought we were the only ones that had our dog eat our couch! The first morning I found that she had eaten one side was also the morning she was scheduled to "get fixed" at the vet. I thought that would send a strong message, but eventually she shred the whole thing!!! Thank goodness it was just a garage sale buy!

Mys siters dog chews shoes, couches, computer cords, treadmill cords. You name it. But her husband won't let her be put in the basement because all his fishing stuff is down there!!! She is trying to figure out what to do to get her to stop as well.

We used bitter spray the first Christmas we had Ollie. Since he was a puppy we sprayed everything ...just to make sure. Now every time we put up our tree we have to remember not to touch any fod or our faces until we wash.....that bitter stuff last forever!

Oh and he only chewed up flips flops and of course ate underwear and socks. We sprayed as a preventative...but he never chewed furniture.

Your dog may like the taste... I know mine still chews even with the spray. Have you thought about getting a crate and moving him upstairs at night near the family? He may be lonely or bored... I personal am a let my dogs sleep in my bed kinda girl (why not I let my husband sleep there too LOL) But I do realize not everyone is like that so I would think about the crate near the family so the dog feels more part of the pack.

We just got a 6 week old beagle pup 2 weeks ago...
He is more work than a baby! And he is chewing as well, but hopefully he will grow out of it! Hasn't started chewing the furniture yet, but loves our shoes. We have a lot of toys that we got him to chew on so I hope that curbs it a little bit!

My mini dachshund likes to chew, too. Though thankfully he outgrew the chewing of furniture (he has a wooden chair in his room) once he it about a year old. He has all kinds of chew toys but his favorite...a pair of the DH's old combat boots!!:yuck: LOL

http://icanhascheezburger.wordpress.com/files/2008/07/funny-pictures-interior-designer-cat-does-you-a-favor.jpg

http://icanhascheezburger.wordpress.com/files/2008/06/funny-pictures-cat-in-time-out.jpg

Love you KG!....

Ah, the good ol' days! That happened to us too. Gotta love puppies! ;)

GeorgiaPeach said:
Some of you might remember that we got a puppy a few months ago. I am completely new to the whole "dog" thing. She ate her poop and freaked me out...and you guys helped me through it :) So I thought I'd share the latest "Chloe" installment.

She sleeps in the basement with a old, stained recliner my son got FREE at a yard sale and an ugly but in very good condition hide a bed couch. A couple days ago I went down to take her out and she had eaten a hole in the arm of the couch! (Not the ugly, cheap recliner mind you!) It looked like someone took an ice cream scoop and scooped a perfect circle. She ate all the way to the wood frame and had even gnawed on it too :(

I told my husband he better figure out a way to keep her from eating anymore. Well, she started ANOTHER spot.

Today I went to PetSmart and found "Bitter Yuck". Yes, that is really the name. Anyway, I started spraying the ENTIRE couch with the stuff. My son came in the room. The mist had got in our mouths and noses. We opened the door to let in fresh air. Then we started gagging and coughing. Colter started spitting off the deck. We were laughing so hard, then gagging, then coughing, then laughing.

We ran upstairs to get something to drink. I even got down on all fours and started sniffing the glade plug in!! (I'm not exaggerating...I really did this!) The "bitter yuck" had gone up my nose!!

I washed my hands and drank some more and we both settled down. About 20 minutes later I licked my lips....yes, it began all over again. The mist had settled on my face! So I ran to the sink and started washing off my face...with the hand that had sprayed the Bitter Yuck! Can you see where this is going?

All I can say is that if this spray doesn't work and we need to spray again....DH is spraying it!!!

Buy Bitter Apple spray instead... and to make it work, saturate a corner of a washcloth, and put it on your puppy's tongue- it seems cruel, but they'll gag and taste it, and once you LIGHTLY spray it on your furniture, she won't eat it anymore.

Laney ate two couches and two denim slip covers after I went back to work...I'd been home the whole first year of her life, and started back to work on her 2nd B-day...she showed me what she thought about that by methodically eating two couches and slip covers over time... Give your puppy a blanket that smells like you when you are gone, or buy some calming pheromone spray... HTH!

I wish my dog would eat my couch. I don't like it anymore.:rolleyes:

The Dog Whisperer is good. Extra exercise helps alot. Before I go to work I tire her out letting her chase bubbles or a beach ball. (She plays soccer). In the winter when its cold & dark, I have a kick butt lasar pointer. I stand in the doorway & shine the pointer waaaay out back and let her run all over chasing that red dot in the snow.

Just my luck that Rosie likes all those nasty tasing things. They never phased her. Having more exercise & something to do was the biggest help.

Now maybe if I put some peanutbutter on the couch it would be more palatable. ;)

1. What should I do if my dog ate my couch?

If your dog has eaten your couch, it is important to first assess the situation. If your dog has ingested large pieces of the couch, it is best to seek immediate veterinary attention. If your dog has only chewed on the couch and not ingested any pieces, you can try to redirect their behavior by providing plenty of chew toys and training them to not chew on furniture. Additionally, you may want to consult with a professional dog trainer for further guidance.

2. Will Pampered Chef products help with cleaning up after my dog?

While Pampered Chef offers a variety of home and kitchen products, we do not have any products specifically designed for cleaning up after pets. However, our versatile cleaning tools, such as our microfiber cleaning cloths and non-toxic cleaning sprays, can certainly help with any messes or stains caused by your pet.

3. How can I prevent my dog from chewing on furniture in the future?

Preventing your dog from chewing on furniture requires consistent training and supervision. Make sure to provide your dog with plenty of appropriate chew toys and redirect their behavior whenever they attempt to chew on furniture. Consistency is key in training your dog to not chew on furniture.

4. Are there any products at Pampered Chef that can help with pet hair removal?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers a variety of cleaning tools that can help with pet hair removal. Our lint rollers and rubber brooms are great for removing pet hair from furniture and carpets. Additionally, our microfiber cleaning cloths are effective at picking up pet hair from surfaces.

5. Can I use Pampered Chef products to make homemade treats for my dog?

Absolutely! Pampered Chef offers a variety of kitchen tools that can be used to make homemade treats for your furry friend. Our silicone baking mats and cookie cutters are perfect for making dog treats, and our food chopper can help with finely chopping ingredients for homemade dog food.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smspamperedchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefsteph07
  • lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • KellyTheChef