• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Anyone Ever Reupholster a Couch?

In summary, the author was given a couch that is in need of reupholstering and would like to find an old picture of her great grandmother and frame it with the couch. She is also considering doing it in a heavy muslin/canvas and making a slipcover that can be thrown in the wash.
jcsmilez
Gold Member
I was given this amazing little couch. It was in my great grandmother Adele's room when she was a little girl, then my grandfather had it and put it in my moms room when she was growing up, now I've been blessed to receive it. My youngest is named Adele after my great grandmother, I would love to reupholster this and put it in her room. (Would love to find an old picture of grandma Adele on and frame it with caption "Adele's couch" but we'll see).

Anyway, it is in desperate need of reupholstering, all the velvet fabric and horse hair patting is just shot and I'm pretty sure little critters have had their way with it. :( I have never taken on reupholstering before so don't really know the first step of what I'm doing! Joannes Fabrics is having a sale this weekend of 50% off their clearance fabrics of which there seems to be many home decor types that will work. What kind of fabric should I look for that gives tribute to the original but also will be durable for a children's couch in a child's room? Any other suggestions for this process?

Pics below of the couch opened and closed and my kiddos, Evelyn and Adele, excited and in love at first sight!

Attachments

• couch 1.jpg
    couch 1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 489
  • couch.jpg
    couch.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_20120814_215344.jpg
    IMG_20120814_215344.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 446
Oh, that's cute! I've reupholstered my kitchen and dining room chairs several times. Those are absolutley the easiest projects to do, because you unscrew the seat and it's a fairly easy shape. A staple gun is all that's needed.
I reupholstered a mid-century chaise once. It turned out pretty good, too.

My advice is put the brakes on your project as far as going to JoAnn's right now. They have home dec sales every month. Do a little research first.

There are some great upholstery books. Your library probably has some. This is my favorite, and it discussed the horsehair kind of furniture like your piece.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0711210926/?tag=pfamazon01-20
It has some fantastic inspirations & transformations in it, too. There are many,many other books out there if you don't care for that one.

If you're determined to just jump in, you can start by taking the old cover off and seeing how you would need to lay out your new fabric and cut it. Get an idea of the yardage you'd need. Take some sketches of how you need to put it back together, too!

As for what fabric will give tribute to the original and be OK for a kid's room, you could still get some kind of velvet and treat it with scotchgard. Avoid fabrics that have a lot of give, as they will start stretching out over time. Also avoid stripes & plaids as they are harder to match. Your piece would need matching on the base and the seat deck.

Another idea would be to do it in a heavy muslin/canvas, and make some kind of slipcover that can be thrown in the wash.

Have fun, and I'd love to see pictures of your finished product!

Last edited:
Have no advice for you, just wanted to say that this is a wonderful piece of furniture! DO post pictures when you're done.

Thanks! I'll definitely post pictures whenever I finish it. :D

Hi there! Congratulations on receiving such a special piece of furniture with such a rich family history. I can definitely understand your desire to reupholster it and make it a special piece for your daughter Adele's room. First off, I would recommend doing some research on reupholstering techniques and materials. There are plenty of tutorials and guides available online that can walk you through the process step by step. You may also want to consider consulting with a professional reupholsterer to get some advice and tips.As for the fabric, I would suggest looking for a durable and easy to clean material, especially since it will be in a child's room. Some good options could be a sturdy cotton or a polyester blend. You may also want to consider adding a protective coating or stain guard to the fabric to help it last longer.In terms of honoring the original fabric, you could try to find a similar color and texture, or even incorporate some elements of the original fabric into the new design. I love your idea of finding an old picture of Adele and framing it with the caption "Adele's couch" - that would add such a special touch to the piece.Best of luck with your reupholstering project! It's definitely a labor of love, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. And your daughters look absolutely adorable on the couch - they must be so excited to have it in their room!

1. Can I reupholster my couch myself?

Yes, it is possible to reupholster a couch yourself. However, it can be a time-consuming and challenging process. It is recommended to have some experience with sewing and upholstery before attempting to reupholster a couch on your own.

2. How much fabric do I need to reupholster a couch?

The amount of fabric needed to reupholster a couch varies depending on the size and style of the couch. As a general rule, you will need around 10-15 yards of fabric for a standard-sized couch. It is always best to measure your couch and consult with a professional to determine the exact amount of fabric needed.

3. What tools do I need to reupholster a couch?

Some essential tools for reupholstering a couch include a staple gun, fabric scissors, a seam ripper, pliers, and a rubber mallet. You may also need a sewing machine, depending on the type of couch and the extent of the reupholstering needed.

4. How long does it take to reupholster a couch?

The time it takes to reupholster a couch can vary depending on the complexity of the project and your level of experience. It can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to complete the reupholstering process.

5. Can I use any fabric for reupholstering a couch?

It is essential to use a durable and high-quality fabric for reupholstering a couch. Fabrics that are specifically designed for upholstery, such as cotton, linen, or polyester blends, are recommended. Avoid using delicate fabrics or those not meant for heavy use, as they may not hold up well on a couch.

Back