• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Frustrated with Computer Issues: Is There Anything I Can Do?

In summary, the computer was hit through the modem, the motherboard & processor were both toast, so I called the BB customer service line. I was on the phone with the rep for almost 2 hours trying to troubleshoot my own computer. After two hours, he *thinks* that the issue is just the motherboard & modem. But, to be sure, he wants me to format my hard drive, reload windows & do more diagnostics. I say no way. I then call my local BB (it's 40 minutes away). I talk to a Geek (their term, not mine) & we decide that it's in my best interest to bring the computer to them, have them do a back up (I do one
crystalscookingnow
Gold Member
I'm in a tough situation with my computer. DH & I purchased a computer 2 years ago at Best Buy. We purchased a very high-end computer so that we wouldn't have to purchase another one for 5 years or so. We also purchased the in-home site repair for hardware issues. This repair covered any hardware issue, including lightning.

In June, we had a storm & the computer was hit through the modem. The motherboard & processor were both toast. So, I called the BB customer service line. I was on the phone with the rep for almost 2 hours trying to troubleshoot my own computer. I only have dial-up & the modem was fried, so I had no ability to connect for dianostics. I am fairly computer literate, so I was doing everything the man told me to do. After two hours, he *thinks* that the issue is just the motherboard & modem. But, to be sure, he wants me to format my hard drive, reload windows & do more diagnostics. I say no way.

I then call my local BB (it's 40 minutes away). I talk to a Geek (their term, not mine) & we decide that it's in my best interest to bring the computer to them, have them do a back up (I do one, but had just downloaded pictures & didn't have the weekly run yet) & have them send it to the service center. The service center had my machine from July 3rd until July 29th. When it came back, I drove back to the store to pick it up. The rep started the machine. It booted, stayed up, but had their support software on it still. He told me it was no problem & I could just cancel out of the program when I got it home. Okay, no biggie. I headed home.

After I got home, we had stuff going on. I didn't work on the machine for 2 days. I turn the machine on & it just reboots and reboots & reboots again. It won't stop doing this. I call BB again. I talk to the manager & he says that I have to bring the machine back up to have the software removed. So, I drive back up there again. They remove the software. Two days later, same thing happens again. I call again. I go back to the store again. I am at BB for TWO hours while they try to fix my computer. It's the day before I go on vacation, but I really wanted my machine fixed. After all of that, I come home & get ready for vacation. I have a few bills to pay before we leave.

I pay those bills & do a couple of other things. While I'm in the middle of working, the machine goes to a blue screen with an error message. I call back to the store again & talk to the manager that I had been working with. She is super great. We talk about the problem & additional error messages that I have gotten since they 'fixed' my computer. She decides that I need to call the customer service line to schedule someone to come out & install new video & memory cards. Ok, again, if that's what needs to be done, I'm fine with that. So, I called a week ago Monday. I talk to a call center man, explain my problem & what I've been through. He tells me that it's a software problem & that software problems aren't covered by my PSP. I am very calm (used to work in a call center, no need to get huffy in my opinion) & tell him that the Geek Squad guys at my store told me it is a hardware issue, to call this number & get something scheduled. He then tells me that the store employees always tell customers that their issues are hardware when in fact they aren't. He has a very smart-alecky tone about him when he says this. I nicely inform him that I'm the customer & that I don't need to hear about this & that I'd like to get my problem fixed. He again states that it's a hardware issue. Realizing that I'm not getting anywhere, I ask to speak to a manager. He tells me that one is not available, but might be within the hour if I'd like to hold. Again with the smart tone. I tell him fine.

I then called BB again to talk with the manager that I had been working with. I gave her the information (yes, including the guys name & time of call) & she said she would get back to me. This was on Monday. On Thursday, I still hadn't heard back, so I called the store again. I talked to one of the guys that had helped me before. He told me he would have one of the in-home tech guys call me. Yesterday, they finally did.

In-home guy tells me there is nothing he can do without an appt. scheduled through the customer service line. I explain to him that I've been that route twice already & how rude & unhelpful they were. I'm now waiting for his manager to call me back tomorrow.

I'm so frustrated I could spit nails. I've got names & dates & times of each call that I've made.

So....for those of you that have made it this far....Is there anything I can do? Besides buy a new computer? Right now, the machine will function for about an hour & then shut down. None of my pictures display properly & if I do anything too tasking on the processor, it shuts down.

Thanks too for letting me get this frustration off my chest. It helps a little! :)

Boy I wish I had an answer for you. That is such a pain the the you know what! I have heard lots of horor stories about service through Best Buy. One of my consultants just took hers in to have a drive replaced and they told her it would be 4-6 weeks. I was telling my Dh (who is in computers) and he said to call her back and he would do it for her. It is something that should take maybe an hour tops and they wanted the system for 4-6 weeks. Yikes!

I hope yours works out!

Oh, I can't help you!

But, I'd march right into that store tomorrow when the manager is there and have the manager call and make your appointment for you! This is ridiculous.:grumpy:

Sounds like you are doing the right things, keep really good notes and when all of this is over and done with (whatever the outcome....) I would write a detailed letter to the President of BB (send it certified & return receipt too) and let them know just what you went through.

For now, my suggestion is to fix a nice ****tail or glass of wine (if you are a drinking sort of woman :p ) and relax. You've done all you can do for now.

WOW what a pain in the a$$ When you can get the computer on, have you backed up everything? either onto a disc or flashdrive. This should at least make life a little easier if you have to replace the computer.
When I ran this by hubby (my computer geek!!) he says it sounds like you need a new motherboard or processor, or possibly both!! Sucky things to fix but they are hardware and should definately be covered by your insurance thing that you got.
Sorry Im not much more help, I hope you can get it figured out

Ok so you did get the video card replaced?? How about the internal fans that keep these items inside cool?

When my DH the computer "geek" (my term) gets home I will have him read your post and see what he thinks. He puts together and fixes computers all the time..... and not to mention that is pretty much what he does for a job in the AF.

Crystal, it seems that the best course of action for you is to continue doing what you have been doing (escalating the issue to the highest management level possible). There are all sorts of suggestions for specific techniques at The Consumerist: Shoppers Bite Back. Also, it might comfort you to know that you're not alone in your problems with BB. Search "Best Buy" on the Consumerist website and see for yourself (some Geeks have even stolen p0rn off of people's computers).

I would keep going up the ladder. We avoid BB :yuck: whenever possible because of their policies and know it all (but don't really) attitude.

Did you know that if you buy a camera or computer and need to return it even the same day they charge a restocking fee? :eek: We purchased a camera and found the same one at another store (Target right next door) for much less so we went back to return it (maybe 30-40 minutes after walking out of BB) and they said we would have to pay a restocking fee. Some time later and a talk with the manager - the camera hadn't even been in our car let alone out of the box - we got a full refund. - There was no talk of meeting the other price either.:rolleyes:

Good luck with getting your computer repaired to your satisfaction. I hope it works out for you. Sounds like you have several BB employees working with you which is sure to help and as we have always found, being calm gets you much farther that getting mad so you have a great chance at a good outcome!

PCwithStay-C said:
WOW what a pain in the a$$ When you can get the computer on, have you backed up everything? either onto a disc or flashdrive. This should at least make life a little easier if you have to replace the computer.
When I ran this by hubby (my computer geek!!) he says it sounds like you need a new motherboard or processor, or possibly both!! Sucky things to fix but they are hardware and should definately be covered by your insurance thing that you got.
Sorry Im not much more help, I hope you can get it figured out

Actually, the motherboard & processor have both been replaced already. That's when they had the machine for 3 1/2 weeks. Now, the video card & memory card are crapping out & I just want them to come here & fix it! :) But yes, backups have been done & I haven't saved anything else to the computer since. I just don't trust it.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}} Sounds like you got a lemon. I am so sorry for you!

JaimeQ said:
Ok so you did get the video card replaced?? How about the internal fans that keep these items inside cool?

That's what I'm trying to get replaced but they are argueing over whether it's a hardware vs. software problem. :(

BethCooks4U said:
{{{{{hugs}}}}}} Sounds like you got a lemon. I am so sorry for you!

That's the bummer part. It's an awesome computer. It's just been since we had it fixed through them that it has gotten bad.:cry:

Note to me: NEVER buy a maintenance insurance from BB.

What makes me the most upset is that I have been very happy with all of our purchases there. We specificially went there b/c we've been so happy with them. We have purchased our frig, washer/dryer, laptop, video & digi cameras there. We even had to use the psp on our dryer once. They came out & fixed it with no hassle. Now we're dealing with this on something that they're signature for.

I will not resort to getting angry & yelling. That's just not my nature. Plus, I worked in a call center & it just doesn't do any good. I'd rather get what I need fixed in a reasonable, responsible adult manner. If I don't get it fixed through BB, I will have my local folks fix it. Unfortunately, that may cost me more than a new computer. In that case, I'll just buy a new one. Just not through BB. AND, I'll let everyone that I know exactly how I feel. :D

This sounds like an awful experience. So sorry :thumbdown:

Personally, I LOVE Circuit City, they have great policies and stick to them, IMHO. ;)

I hope this matter gets resolved soon, for you!

crystalscookingnow said:
Actually, the motherboard & processor have both been replaced already. That's when they had the machine for 3 1/2 weeks. Now, the video card & memory card are crapping out & I just want them to come here & fix it! :) But yes, backups have been done & I haven't saved anything else to the computer since. I just don't trust it.

Ahhh guess I should learn to read before adding my 2cents :p

Crystal, Sorry I don't have any specific computer information for you. You've gotten some good advice about documenting everything. Another thing you can do is to let store management know how disappointed you are, and that neither you nor your several thousand friends online (that would be us) will shop at BB in the future.

does it say anywhere in the contract they will replace it if they can't fix it ? I would check! :)

Ok my hubby says to take off the side while its on and check to see if all the fans are running... and to check (while computer is off) the fan in the middle on the metal heat sink is not too loose.

They are running & not too loose. Tell him thanks for the help! Would he like to come to Illinois & just fix it for me?? ;)

reba515 said:
does it say anywhere in the contract they will replace it if they can't fix it ? I would check! :)

If they have to fix it three times, then I get a new one. I'm on #2 if I can just get them to do it!

Crystal, you have my sympathy. I can operate my computer, but I have no computer advice to offer. I commend you for keeping track of everything. This will help you. If you've gone as high as you can at your local store, you might try going a little higher. You might go through their website (using a friend's computer, of course) to contact someone with a little more authority.I recently had a customer service issue with an office supply store. After calming down a bit (I was more than a little miffed), I used their company website to email the details of my experience to someone up the food chain. About 10 days later I got a call apologizing for my difficulties and offering me a pretty good incentive to give them another chance.

crystalscookingnow said:
They are running & not too loose. Tell him thanks for the help! Would he like to come to Illinois & just fix it for me?? ;)

I'm sure he would if he could:) He said he has something else for you to try but he doesn't have the time to tell me about it right now.

I found a smilie for you:

chefann said:
I found a smilie for you:

LOL!!! That is too funny. Especially since that's exactly what I look like when that stupid BLUE screen shows up!!!

Jamie - sounds good! Let him know that I also tried downloading & installing the driver for my video card, but couldn't find the correct ones (through gateway).

Rae - I am going to give them a last chance for the geek squad manager to do somethingn for me. Then, I'll be going up the chain. Of course, it's 5:40 p.m. on Wednesday. The manager was to call me today & still hasn't. Tomorrow I have to go to where my BB is located. I'll be stopping in for sure!

Last edited:
K I will certainly let him know:)

Do you have yahoo messanger so that my hubby can chat with you to try and help your problem??

1. What are some common computer issues that people face?

Some common computer issues that people face include slow performance, freezing or crashing, virus or malware infections, and hardware failures.

2. How can I improve the performance of my computer?

To improve the performance of your computer, you can try clearing temporary files, disabling unnecessary startup programs, updating your operating system and drivers, and adding more RAM or storage space.

3. What should I do if my computer freezes or crashes frequently?

If your computer freezes or crashes frequently, it could be due to a software or hardware issue. You can try running a virus scan, updating your drivers, and checking for any software conflicts. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to seek professional help.

4. How can I protect my computer from viruses and malware?

To protect your computer from viruses and malware, make sure to have a reputable antivirus software installed and keep it up to date. Be cautious when clicking on links or downloading files from unknown sources, and regularly scan your computer for any potential threats.

5. Is it worth investing in a new computer or should I try to fix my current one?

It ultimately depends on the severity and frequency of the issues you are experiencing with your current computer. If it is consistently causing problems and is outdated, it may be more cost-effective to invest in a new one. However, if the issues are minor and can be easily fixed, it may be worth trying to troubleshoot and fix the issues yourself.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• milkangel
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies
Views
JAE
  • chef131doreen
  • General Chat
Replies