• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Computer Tragedy: Fried Computer and 4-6 Week Repair Wait Time

In summary, Becky's computer is fried and she has to send it in for repair. She also has to decide if she wants to buy more memory for it or if she wants to use her old computer.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
So - my computer is fried!

I took it in for repair, and just got word that there is nothing the guy can do. He says it is a hardware issue, and that I have no choice but to send it in to Compaq for repair, and that Compaq always takes 4-6 weeks!:eek:

EVERYTHING is on that computer....and yes, I have backed up....but with no place to put the back up. I can use my old computer for basic stuff, but it doesn't have room for P3 on it.....arrrghhh!

It does still have PP on it, and it is updated and everything. Anyone know if I can send in shows with PP from this computer?:rolleyes:

Oh no, Becky! Isn't your computer new? I don't know the answer to your PP question, but I hope you figure this out soon. I understand your stress.

Hey Becky! First of all, I'm SO sorry! :cry:

I think if I remember correctly that once you submit shows through P3, you can't submit them through PP. I could totally be wrong though.

Have you thought about purchasing more memory to run P3 on it?

PM'd you already of course Becky. :)Good luck!

Ugh... what a bummer.... Pretty sure Kristi is right about PP I remember that too/

PampMomof3 said:
Hey Becky! First of all, I'm SO sorry! :cry:

I think if I remember correctly that once you submit shows through P3, you can't submit them through PP. I could totally be wrong though.

Have you thought about purchasing more memory to run P3 on it?

It's a very old computer, and even with purchased memory, it tops out at 512k....:yuck:

Oh man! I don't think you can go back to PP either, maybe you can call HO & explain..

janetupnorth said:
PM'd you already of course Becky. :)

Good luck!

I'll let you know by the end of the day!

Becky- I hope it all works out for you! What a PITA!

ChefBeckyD said:
It's a very old computer, and even with purchased memory, it tops out at 512k....:yuck:

That was the whole reason I bought the new computer! To have enough space to run P3!

I still love my old computer - it's a Sony Vaio, and I had it for 4 years, and NEVER had an issue with it EVER - and I really abused this thing.

When I went to buy a new computer, I had to buy what I could afford...couldn't afford another Sony.:cry:

So sorry about your puter. Just took a class at Conference (making the move to P3) Was talking to the Geeks for awhile & I told them I have not made the move yet because its not fully completed. Also problems with Vista. Anyhoo...answer is no..once you submit a show from P3 theres no going back!

BUMMER .... I feel your pain... May 23 was when mine went down... it's AWFUL and I wish I could give you a solution because I know how helpless you feel. Ask around, pray, someone out there has a laptop that you can borrow until your's is returned... put the word out! :) Praying with you!

ChefBeckyD said:

What about an external hard drive?

katie0128 said:
What about an external hard drive?

Yeah - you are talking a foreign language now Katie....what does that mean...and how much would it cost?

My Sony is a laptop...can you even do that with a laptop?

an external hard drive would not give you what you need to run P3. You need more RAM to run P3.

DebbieJ said:
an external hard drive would not give you what you need to run P3. You need more RAM to run P3.

Okay - that's what I thought....and then I was thinking "WHAT??? WHY DIDN"T ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS BEFORE???" (yep, shouting to myself inside my head!)

Yes, if you have an external HD you could transfer your harddrive over to it before you ship it in. However, you still need the processing power and memory to run P3.

janetupnorth said:
Yes, if you have an external HD you could transfer your harddrive over to it before you ship it in. However, you still need the processing power and memory to run P3.

WHAT is an External Harddrive?

Is that like my back up stick thingy? (Um, yeah...really technical here - can't remember what it's called - the little stick I plug into my computer to back it up....)

ChefBeckyD said:
WHAT is an External Harddrive?

Is that like my back up stick thingy? (Um, yeah...really technical here - can't remember what it's called - the little stick I plug into my computer to back it up....)

Close - an external hard drive is a really big stick thingy... it is basically a memory tank in a box that you plug into your computer.

DebbieJ said:

janetupnorth said:

I was thinking that if she needed P3 that badly, she could copy her Sony harddrive to the external and run P3 instead. But, you're right, she would still need enough memory for P3... and I can't remember what it needs.

I said she can load her file on an area consultant's PC and enter the shows there or I'd be willing to do it for her so her records stay in tack...we'll see what happens...she has some options to ponder right now...

janetupnorth said:
I said she can load her file on an area consultant's PC and enter the shows there or I'd be willing to do it for her so her records stay in tack...we'll see what happens...she has some options to ponder right now...
I would gladly let Becky use my computer, but she may have to come and visit me in Holland. Farmer's Market on Saturday, Becky?

1. What should I do if my computer suddenly stops working?

If your computer has stopped working, the first thing you should do is try restarting it. If the issue persists, check to see if your computer is under warranty and contact the manufacturer for assistance. If it is not under warranty, you may need to take it to a repair shop or contact a professional for help.

2. How can I avoid getting my computer fried?

To avoid your computer from getting fried, make sure to keep it in a cool and dry environment. Avoid placing it near sources of heat such as radiators or direct sunlight. It is also important to regularly clean and dust your computer to prevent overheating.

3. How long does it typically take to repair a fried computer?

The repair time for a fried computer can vary depending on the severity of the damage. In most cases, it can take 4-6 weeks for a computer to be fully repaired. However, this can also depend on the availability of parts and the workload of the repair shop.

4. Can I speed up the repair process for my fried computer?

If you need your computer to be repaired quickly, you can try contacting a computer repair shop that offers expedited services. This may come at an additional cost, but it can help speed up the repair process.

5. Is it better to repair a fried computer or replace it?

In most cases, it is more cost-effective to repair a fried computer rather than replacing it. However, if the damage is extensive and the cost of repair is close to or more than the cost of a new computer, it may be better to replace it. It is best to consult with a professional for their recommendation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefann
  • itsjustCarla