• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Customer No-Service: Against My Better (Computer) Judgement...

In summary, KG had a negative experience with the big box store and decided to never buy anything from them again. He went to a different store and was treated poorly by the Geek Squad. He was given an inferior product and was charged a restocking fee.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
...I bought an Hewlett-Packard notebook computer a couple of months ago. I had told myself I was never going to by a product from HP again after some bad experiences with HP printers and a Compaq laptop. (Compaq is owned by HP although operated as a separate division. Compaq support is abysmal.) I also told myself I would never buy anything from the big box store that is blue with bright yellow graphics.

I went ahead and did both.

Yesterday, I remembered why I made those vows originally. My shiney new HP notebook took a dump yesterday - the Blue Screen of Death followed by an inability to boot up.

I'm on the road (I'm a road warrior, remember) so I went to the big blue box store to a member of the Geek Squad. I was treated like a major interruption to his life and not given any aid or advice except, "I can send it to the manufacturer for repair and it will take about a week." He didn't even look at the computer at all. He couldn't get my name right. I just took my computer and stormed out.

After a couple of hours, I took it to the Big Blue Box closer to my hotel. (I'm in the shadow of TPC HO again.) A Geek Squad guy there took me under his wing, explained the options for repair, diagnosed the problem, and it is now in his care.

I just hope I get it back before I have to leave here for Indianapolis.

With all the talk of customer no-service up here the last couple of days, I thought you might like another horror story. I'd love to buy a new television soon - guess where I'm not buying it?

TKG,That stinks! I'm glad you found someone who was willing to work with you.I think part of the problem with service today is that people don't say anything when they have bad service. So management doesn't know that people are less than perfectly satisfied. Conversely, people also don't compliment others who give them exceptional service. So those folks are never held up as an example to others.Sad.

chefann said:
TKG,

That stinks! I'm glad you found someone who was willing to work with you.

I think part of the problem with service today is that people don't say anything when they have bad service. So management doesn't know that people are less than perfectly satisfied. Conversely, people also don't compliment others who give them exceptional service. So those folks are never held up as an example to others.

Sad.
I try to do both but I honestly don't think they care. The person we are complaining to can't really do anything about it nayway and the big shots keep themseoves so isolated that we can't get our message to them. it's all about money and lining the pockets of the few.

We just had a similar experience to KG at that same box store! DH went to purchase a video camera for DS and the "Geek" said "they all have 2.0" (an important feature DH was looking for in the product - doesn't matter to the story...). Well DH is very technical and knew better so he went on line to purchase. Went back there and the same geek pointed him to the one the geek said was what DH wanted. He could answer no help or give no comparisons so DH went next store to Target and got the one that the internet said had what he wanted (same one he looked at at geek store).

Presented it to DS and then DH read the book that came with the camera. Statements in it like "this may look deceiving" told DH that he was lied to and that he really wanted the next step up (had 39 needed 59).

So he found the one he wanted on the internet (BTW - reviews were good and present for 39 but NONE available for 59); we returned the one we had with no problem to Target and went next store to the geek store - yes we did. ...Just in case they had it so DS wouldn't have to wait. Guess what! Around the corner no where near the other one was the one DH wanted in the first place - same brand - everything the same except it had the faster technology (that 2.0) - and SAID so on the sticker. Well, we went to a different geek and purchased it. Happy DH and happy DS!

And insult to injury - geeks tell you nothing and let you buy what you don't want and if you find that it isn't right and return to that store they charge a 15% restocking fee for electronics. So had DH bought the first one there it would have cost even more for that camera! - But I would have gone to the manager and insisted they waive that with the lack of help from their geek. lol

So if you must shop there because you can't wait for internet or don't trust it just be SURE you are purchasing what you really want!

I'm not impressed with the blue store either! We bought a big flat screen that we had them come and install above our fireplace. well, the normally 2 hour install took 10 hours over 2 days. we have cords hanging out all over the place, looks like we did the job instead of what we paid $500 for! and when the guy came to install, we didnt have some of the cables we needed (even though we asked at the store if we would need anythign else) so I ha dto run out and get them while the guy was trying to install. he had them with him, but they were $20 more than at the store!!!! so, i called and complained before I left and got 10% off of the calbes since I had to come in to ge them (oh the install guy wanted to reschedule at first, but I told him no way, i took time off to be here, you're doing it today--even though i wasnt working at the time!!)

THEN we got a FREE DVD player with our purchase--it doesnt work, every few minutes while playing we get this reading error which the screen goes blank, but you can hear the voices still!!!! Can't return it, they don't have anymore of those and they wont give store credit! Amazing

so, i don't shop there either unless dire emergency. now we buy all our electronics thru tiger direct online and have it in one day and warrantied too.

On the advice of a family member/techno-geek, and against my better judgement, I went to the nearest location of the store that shall not be named. The computer system I wanted (on advice of said techno-geek) was on sale and had several rebates.

After struggling for 15 minutes to get the attention of a sales associate (evidently my husband and I don't look like people who want to purchase things in this store), I pointed to what I wanted in the flyer. He started tossing things in my cart. We checked out (including another half-hour process to get all the rebates right). Guess what. Wrong computer. That's right. Even with a picture, price, and all the details, they gave me the wrong stuff. Took forever to get everything straightened out.

Sure strengthened my resolve. Never again.

Oh, I do not like compaq either and when I found out HP and compaq were the same I said no-way!! Good luck, my aunt is getting rid of her compaq b/c she couldn't even update it d/t lack of something?? (obviously not a comp. geek)

My husband and I rarely buy computer components and stuff like that at Crap Buy any more. IF we go there, we get small things that we can't get at Wal-Mart. For actual electronic purchases and computer stuff I really recommend Amazon.com and Newegg.com. No taxes and free shipping from Amazon is always nice. Plus Newegg has good prices, sales a lot of times and is trustworthy.Just my 2 cents.

My experience here tells me that I'm glad I didn't buy from Smell Computer or BillGatesway, either. I can't imagine doing what I did by remote control.

Go see Foamy the Squirrel at http://www.friendsoffoamy.com and watch the cartoons called Tech Support - there is an original and two sequels.

Yeah, that big blue box store was going to steal my laptop for 2-3 weeks. So even though we bought the extended warranty with said store and the repair would be "free," instead I paid $115 to a local computer shop and they had it back to me in 2 DAYS.

Update: The member of the Geek Squad, who showed an interest, finished the repair and I have my notebook back in my hot little hand!

Of course, it doesn't have an operating system on it, so right now, it's a nice looking, albeit expensive, paperweight. See http://www.friendsoffoamy.com/index.php?id=144 starring Foamy the Squirrel. (R-Rated - don't let the kiddies see THIS one!)

Oh, and so far, I've spent about $400 on this free warranty repair.

Hey KG... for all of your electronic needs, one word...Costco. I know they sell mostly Dell and Compac/HP but I am telling you that their return policy is awsome. Just like PC...keep your receipt. My DH and I have returned a computer monitor and a digital camera that took a dump with no problems. We purchased a digtal camera 2 1/2 yrs ago from "C". My DH took it to his class reunion last month and while taking a picture of one of his classmates, it just quit working. The lens would not retract, made awful noises and could not get it to work. (I'm just glad he wasn't taking a picture of me...what a shot to my ego that would've been LOL) After trying to call the tech support for this company, number no longer in service, no website. Took it back to "C" (along with smart card which is obsolete) and got a full refund for both. I keep all of my receipts from this store. Yes, I like Newegg and have used them quite a bit...prices are great, but you can't beat the service from Costco (at least my experience)
Valky

Costco hasn't made it to my area...yet. We're just getting Lowe's now, which is a surprise, because Milwaukee has always been a test market for darned near everything. Milwaukee was one of the few places that got the Mickey D's McRib sandwich and a lettuce-and-tomato sandwich (I think it was called the McDLT) in a plastic box with the burger on one side and the lettuce on the other - "Keeps the hot side hot and the cold side cold..." only it didn't sell and went away. When people figured out how they made McRib sandwiches, well, that was the end of that one, too.

Anyway, I have my notebook back, but it has no operating system so it's the nicest looking paperweight I have in my car. I should be able to restore the opsys when I get home tomorrow.

Related to Customer No-Service: Against My Better (Computer) Judgement...

What is "Customer No-Service: Against My Better (Computer) Judgement..."?

"Customer No-Service: Against My Better (Computer) Judgement..." is an article written by customer service expert and author, John R. DiJulius III. It discusses the importance of personalizing customer service and the negative effects of relying solely on computerized systems.

Why is personalized customer service important?

Personalized customer service is important because it creates a positive and memorable experience for customers. It allows them to feel valued and important, leading to increased customer loyalty and satisfaction.

What are some negative effects of relying solely on computerized systems?

Some negative effects of relying solely on computerized systems include a lack of personalization and human connection, which can lead to a decrease in customer satisfaction and loyalty. It can also lead to errors and frustrations for customers who are unable to resolve their issues through automated processes.

How can companies balance the use of computerized systems and personalized customer service?

Companies can balance the use of computerized systems and personalized customer service by incorporating technology to aid in the customer service process, but not relying on it entirely. They should also train and empower their employees to provide personalized and empathetic service to customers.

What can customers do to advocate for better customer service?

Customers can advocate for better customer service by providing feedback to companies about their experiences, both positive and negative. They can also choose to do business with companies that prioritize personalized customer service and support those that make efforts to improve their customer service strategies.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
JaimeQ
Replies