• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dh Is Paint Our Living Room and Dining Room

In summary, the speaker's husband has agreed to paint their living room and dining room and the speaker is seeking advice on whether to paint the two rooms different colors or the same color. They are considering shades of khaki, red, and green. Others suggest red is a good color for a dining room, but the speaker's kitchen is already yellow. The speaker shares their love for red and their friend's tip to buy paint samples to test the color in different lighting. They also mention having a two-tone accent wall in their living-dining rooms. Another speaker is currently painting their interior and is considering khaki/tan for the kitchen and green for the dining room. They express dislike for a "fiesta" house with

What would you do?

• One color Kakhi

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • One color Green

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Red and Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red and Kakhi

Votes: 23 85.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
jrstephens
My DH has agree to paint our living room and dining room as soon as I pick out colors.

Here's my question for you all. The two rooms adjion each other with a bar seperating the two rooms. Would you paint them two different colors are the same color? I want two colors but am scared of how it will look. I have a friend who is coming over tonight to help me choose that is awesome at decorating. She says I can do two colors. I am going from brown walls to either, kakhi, red, or green or a combination of the two. Am a little scared of the outcome but want some color.

What youl you do? By the way my kitchen is yellow.

Please post any advice. I know it is hard to help without seeing the rooms though.

I say go for it. As long as they coordinate, it'll be OK. Think of it as an accent room instead of just an accent wall. :)I read someplace that red is a good color for a dining room because it makes people look cheerful and helps hide a multitude of skin problems when it reflects onto faces. (My dining room is tile red. It looks like a terra-cotta roof tile.)

My kitchen is red and I LOVE it!!! That is the first room that I painted when we got our house. I thought about painting my bedroom red too, but thought that was too much. We went with chocolate brown and ice blue for the bedroom. I would love to have red on the outside of the house too. Can you tell that I love red??

if you are going for colors that compliment your skin and food, some greens are not so good. For that reason most shades of green don't go well in bathrooms. I say go red and khahi.

I just had the entire first floor of my house painted last week. The owner of the company gave me the greatest tip ever because I was so unsure of what I wanted. I'm not sure if all places that sells paint does this, but at Sherwin Williams you can buy a sample of the paint you are thinking about for $4.99. Then buy a piece of poster board, I think it was .36 cents at Dollar General, and paint the poster board whatever color you are thinking of. That way you have a huge color chip to hang through out the area you are thinking to paint that color and can see how the different lighting throughout the day will look. I almost made a very costly error had I not done this when choosing for the kitchen.

My kitchen is Deep Red (accent wall with a faux finish) and the rest are a tan color. My living-dining rooms have an accent wall as well, a two tone beige color on top with a white self that seperates it from the lower half of a light blue-grey color. I saw it in a magazine where the entire room was this contrast and DH said NO way to a full room but agreed to an accent wall with those colors, then we did the rest of the area the beige color in the dining room and living room. I really love how it turned out! Mom the Martha Stewart Home decorator did it for me and it looks just like the picture I found.

I am currently painting the interior of my house (well I did the greatroom a few years ago. It's a darkish green. The dining room (we use as dh's office) and kitchen are open so you can see all rooms from the others. I am going to do the kitchen in a kakhi/tan color and the dining room in green on the bottom and the kitchen color on top. I also have other colors that you can see from these rooms (halls) so I don't want too many.

I was just recently at a home with a ton of different colors all over the place and I thought it looked wierd. Her husband calls it their fiesta house. I'm too conservative to like that but to each his/her own!

I just painted my living room & dining room too! I did confederate red in my dining room and absolutely LOVE it! I wasn't sure if it was too bold at first, but I think it looks awesome with my wood floors. The living room is now cappucino & blends nicely with the red. (this is my new house--they did SW decor before which is okay.....but the living room was turquoise! That's just not my style!)
Good luck deciding! And lucky you that your dh is doing the work! I painted both rooms by myself.

I do all the painting and I have to use paint pads because I can't get the paint off of rollers (don't have the arm strength - carpel tunnel, arthritis starting...). ANYWAY! I have a question: How will I be able to get at the area above the bathtub?? Even if I put one leg of the ladder in the tub (could that put a crack in the tub?) I still wouldn't be able to reach that corner at the ceiling. I want to do the ceiling white and the walls a light blue but am thinking that I may go with an even lighter blue and just do the ceiling the same color so I don't have to worry about cutting in but I still need to figure out how to get up there!

When he does the red make sure he preps the walls with a grey color otherwise the red will look pink. I have a deep tan (Tawny Bisque) primarily in my LR (2 walls). The wall with the fireplace is red and so is the connecting wall in my LR/Kitchen. I love it. Connecting DR is one shade lighter than Tawny Bisque, entry and sun room are a green. I then have red drapes in DR. I initially painted DR two shades lighter than Tawny but with the red drapes it looked peach color when the sun was really bright...so I had to repaint to only one shade lighter than Tawny. I love the colors. Good luck.:)

We decided on a red and kakhi. The red is called Red Sparkle and and the kakhi is called Saddlewood. Thanks for all your suggestions! I need to take before and after shots and post them!

Saddlewood will be in our LR when you first come into our house, then you will go into our Red Sparkle DR and then into out Yellow kicthen. A wall does seperate the DR and kitchen. On the bar in the DR we are going to get a black marble top to go on it and take the cover piece of wood of it to dress the old bar up and not have to painit it or anything.

I think DH is trying to soften me up to agree to him getting a motorcycle!!!:D he got prices last week!

Last edited:
Sounds pretty. Definitely let DH know, though, that he'll definitely have to do 2 coats of the red - either 2 of red, or 1 primer and 1 red. It's amazing how every little thin spot shows through.

He is planning on 2 coats maybe 3. He hates to prime it and would rather put more coats of the color on. When we painted our kitchen it took 2 coats of it. We have very dark brown paneling that we have to cover. We have tht paneling that everyone used in the 1960s!

My best friends house is drab. the carpet & tile is beige and her walls and ceiling are that color too. The only spalsh of color is her blue leather couch!! the pictures she has are of her kids when they were toddlers oldest one just graduated last week & she doesn't put stuff on her coffee tables (she says where would my laundry and junk go?)

My house is the opposite. Daughters room is Tinkerbell green, her bathroom wallpapered in bright tropical blue with bright parrot wallpaper border.
My office and dining room are yellow. Master bedroom is sage green. One son's bedroom is denim blue and the other silver.
But, it blends well our house is very open. When we built I chose a pretty yellow for all the walls the builder and I went round and round. Finally, I was so ticked I told him it's my house and you won't be living here. (he wanted to use the cheap cream color he buys and his painters wouldn't have to clean their equipment either).
We came in and I was so excited I hugged the painter, because it was so pretty. The day they installed our carpet the neighbor called and said I think you better come out here, yuor house has been repainted!! I creid all the way when we got here and unlocked the door I nearly fainted! The dark green carpet washed out the walls and they are a boring cream now!!

I think your home should reflect your personaility!!

Our house has been the poster for drab. We bought it a few years back and are just now getting to where we can redo some things. I bought a red couch a few months back and now want more color!

The whole house was brown paneling with a ugle brown carpet (even in the bathroom) when we got it. We repaneled my cons room white when I got pregnant and painted his built in cabinets blue. And then painted the kitchen yellow. I have one bed room and a bathroom that will be next after this. Our bedroom had the old red looking wood in it - I cannot deicde if I want to get rid of it or not or just redecorate the room.

After this project it may be another year before I get DH to paint again. We did then kitche together, but we have new carpet and wood vinyl flooring now and he does not want me there watching over him and worried about getting paint on the carpet this time.

Last edited:
I love the idea of the red and kahki. Nice, warm colors!

You'll have to post some pics when its done!

DH is painting at we speak! He is doing the DR first. I cannot wait to get home from work and see it! I told him to take pics before but he forgot. I can scrounge up one from my 1000s of pics I am sure to compare.

We love The Real Deal which use to be Flip This House. I told him we needed before and after like they show.

i'm inspired now. I've been hinting for months about painting our house. We've been in it for 2 1/2 years now, and still have the boring builder cream walls downstairs. the only thing I've done is the kids bedrooms, and I did paint the hall bath (downstairs) at Christmas since we were having family over and wanted to cover the dirty handprints that Mr. Clean Magic eraser wouldn't remove.
We have an open floor plan as well, and I am worried about blending the family room and breakfast area/kitchen and foyer. I don't want a rainbow, but I want there to be different colors that flow. I can't wait to see your pics so I can see how it looks. DH is tired of all the paint swatches I keep taping to the walls!

Just be aware of how colors fit in a theme. You can pick up a color wheel in the art or scrapbooking area of a craft store. They have arrows to indicate which colors go together, based on several types of schemes.

That is what was so great about having my friend help me out. She made sure my house did not become an Easter egg! She is great at this and has a lot of people asking her opinion especially after they just finished their new house.

My DH just sent me a pic of the DR on my cell phone!!! It is RED that for sure!! Hard to tell much in the phone pic and the 2nd coat had not dried yet. He is funny b/c he is so excited to have done this for me!!! Oh I hope I love it when I get home!!!!

I also need to add that is has been great sharing this with all my virtual friends!!!

Can I post pics here or do I need to put them on my Yahoo photos and post the link to them on here? I will take them tonight and bring them to work tomorrow - my internet is faster here.

Last edited:
so where's the pics? LOL:) Again, I'll just say that you're lucky that your dh is doing the painting! He's a keeper!

I just got them uploaded. I am at work and the internet is very slow today. I have one after shot. DH forgot to take a before shot, so, I just have an old picture that shows the brown wall behind me, not a whole room before shot.

I will post when I get the before of the LR posted. DH is painting it today and finishing the trim work in the DR.

Here is the link ( I hope it works)!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/poohhbare/album?.dir=/ecdbre2&.src=ph&.tok=phzfY1GBBJ5suZzc

You can see on the edge of the photo where he put the Saddlewood on the wall for me to see last night.

I do like the red. I think the more I look at it the more I will fall in lvoe with it and once I get my stuff back in there and things on the wall too. I will post a finished one when it it totally finished too. It is a little of a culter shock going from drab brown to bright red! ha!

I have now uploaded a BEFORE of the LR and one more BEFORE of the DR.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/poohhb...zfY1GBBJ5suZzc

DH called and he just finidhed the 3rd coat in DR and his dad is working on the trim.

Bumping up so yall con see come pics. I went by at lunch and they are almsot finished with the DR and are on the 2nd coat in the LR. I should be able to put my furniture back in the DR tonight.

I think it looks good.

We had that paneling in my bedroom when I was growing up. I hated it. And even painted, it was icky because you could see the little grooves between the panels.

(And that didn't come out the way it sounded in my head. Sorry- no offense meant.)

Yep! I hate paneling too....of course because I grew up with it :) ...We've now painted or wall paper'ed over most of it in my mom's house.Looks great, I love the color :)

chefann said:
We had that paneling in my bedroom when I was growing up. I hated it. And even painted, it was icky because you could see the little grooves between the panels.

I know exactly what you are talking about b/c I told my DH this when I was looking at it!:D

Looks good! That's pretty close to the same color in my dining room.

Related to Dh Is Paint Our Living Room and Dining Room

1. Can I use Dh Is Paint to cover dark colors on my walls?

Yes, Dh Is Paint is specially formulated to provide excellent coverage, even over dark colors. You may need to apply multiple coats for optimal results.

2. How much paint do I need to cover my living room and dining room?

The amount of paint needed will vary depending on the size of your rooms and the type of paint you choose. It's always best to consult the paint can or a paint calculator to determine the exact amount needed for your specific project.

3. What is the best way to prepare my walls before painting?

To ensure a smooth and long-lasting finish, it's important to properly prepare your walls before painting. This includes cleaning any dirt or grime, filling in any holes or cracks, and sanding down any rough spots. You may also want to prime your walls before painting for better coverage.

4. How long does it take for Dh Is Paint to dry?

Drying time for Dh Is Paint can vary depending on factors such as humidity and temperature. Typically, it takes about 1-2 hours for the paint to dry to the touch and 24 hours for it to fully cure.

5. Can I use Dh Is Paint on both walls and trim?

Yes, Dh Is Paint is suitable for use on both walls and trim. However, if you're looking for a more durable finish on trim or high-traffic areas, you may want to consider using a specialized trim paint.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • pamperedalf
  • General Chat
Replies