• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Discount Requests: How to Politely Decline as a Business Owner

not me.That's a common issue with consultants carrying inventory from other shows. It's called "inventory laundering". It's wrong, unethical, and potentially illegal. You are right to be concerned. That's why I always make sure to ask the consultant if they are carrying any inventory from other shows. If the consultant says they are not, then I feel much better. The problem is that several DS companies consultants carry inventory that they buy at discount and resell as their practice and they then give their customers a "deal". I know a PC consultant who sells for several companies and she is doing PC the same way. She gets things at sample prices, etc and resells
pkd09
Silver Member
Guest at a show has an old style EAD...broken low ring. I told her replacement parts are no longer available. She just emailed me about a discount if she orders the new one. If this was a long standing customer I would consider it but really?????.....how do you politely say "NO" to this type of request? There were no bookings from this show so it would be an Individual Order with direct shipping....no way am I swollowing that.

Good for you. That's just rude. She got her money's worth.But I'd just tell her that you are sorry. That item is currently not on a guest special, however, she can certainly get it for Free or Discounted when she hosts a cooking or catalog show. You'd love to help her.

In 5 1/2 years I have never had anyone ask me for a discount and yet this show there have been two! Another guest at the show placed a $25 order and wanted me to throw in the shipping. I told her I was unable to do that. The gull of some people....really?? I want to tell them to go to a local retailer and ask them to throw in something and see what they say.

pkd09 said:
In 5 1/2 years I have never had anyone ask me for a discount and yet this show there have been two! Another guest at the show placed a $25 order and wanted me to throw in the shipping. I told her I was unable to do that. The gull of some people....really?? I want to tell them to go to a local retailer and ask them to throw in something and see what they say.

No kidding.

how much do you want to bet they were at another show with a different consultant, who did something similar (be it PC or some other DS). It's a dangerous slippery slope when you offer someone a discount once. They come to expect it again and again.

Also, I have heard that the Playtex Bottle Rings work as a substitute. Maybe offering the suggestion will help her decide if she'd just rather get a new one.

Thank you Laurie for that suggestion which I have passed onto her. I never addressed the "for a discount" in my return email. I think by not saying anything says it all.

Most welcome. Smart strategy. Here's to her getting the hint by omission. ;)

If a customer comes to me and complains about a broken product....I always offer a 10% discount if they'd like to replace it!!!

cindylpal said:
If a customer comes to me and complains about a broken product....I always offer a 10% discount if they'd like to replace it!!!

But that's your choice obviously to offer it. This lady had EXPECTED it of her, and that's just rude. It's like she was blackmailing her for it (IMHO).

We each can do things differently (within reason and company guidelines)....not knocking your choice to do it. :) But no one has to do that (for those who are new at this).

esavvymom said:
But that's your choice obviously to offer it. This lady had EXPECTED it of her, and that's just rude. It's like she was blackmailing her for it (IMHO).

We each can do things differently (within reason and company guidelines)....not knocking your choice to do it. :) But no one has to do that (for those who are new at this).

If a customers comes to me stating a problem...yes, that is how I handle it! I would like to make that customer happy and remember me instead of a broken product! You are right though....I have NEVER give a discount when a customer has asked for one.

Tonight I had a party where a lady asked if she had to pay sales tax! Um, like, yeah. I said that Pampered Chef collects the tax and there is no way around it. :rolleyes:

PamperedchefDaly said:
Tonight I had a party where a lady asked if she had to pay sales tax! Um, like, yeah. I said that Pampered Chef collects the tax and there is no way around it. :rolleyes:

The problem is that several DS companies consultants carry inventory that they buy at discount and resell as their practice and they then give their customers a "deal". I know a PC consultant who sells for several companies and she is doing PC the same way. She gets things at sample prices, etc and resells. Doesn't charge shipping, sells her demo items at shows (host gets no credit for those sales), etc. Her techniques made a strong recruit lead change her mind. My lead worked with that consultant. The lead had had amazing shows prior and was doing a catalog show to buy down her kit. Because of this other consultant's practices she had lots of people telling her they were not paying shipping and insisting on combining orders and wanting deals. The lead finally said "That's it. I'm done" and won't even have a show any more. Urrrgggg...

I always say "of course I can give you a discount, how about FREE? What date would you like to save on my calendar for your show?"

Yikes to Beth's statement, considering those actions are violations of her agreement with PC. I have run into hosts who have been turned off by another consultant. She had received an item as a gift, the other consultant lied to her about the warranty-telling her that it was one year instead of three-then offered to replace the item for free if she would cancel her party with me and book with her. People like that make us all look bad.

tearbear said:
Yikes to Beth's statement, considering those actions are violations of her agreement with PC. I have run into hosts who have been turned off by another consultant. She had received an item as a gift, the other consultant lied to her about the warranty-telling her that it was one year instead of three-then offered to replace the item for free if she would cancel her party with me and book with her. People like that make us all look bad.

I know and there was more to that story - one thing was that I had introduced her to PC and had been talking with her about signing. In fact she was telling me on a Sat. that she wanted to but had too much on her plate then on the following Monday emailed me that she had signed with someone else AND she wanted to come to MY meetings for training since the other consultant lives an hour away. She could sign with anyone she wanted to but she blatantly lied and her recruiter told her what words to say ("I had talked with her before I met you" - a lie. She had told me she hadn't heard of PC before she met me). It was very hurtful and there was more to the story but when I heard how she runs her business I was glad she didn't sign with me. I should have known. At the Celebrating Home party I did for her (she does that too) she was selling her samples to my guests to take home that night but I got zero credit for the sales as the host. She sent an email out to MY guest list from that party announcing her PC business. My friend's started congratulating me on my new recruit... Oh I was mad...

Thing is proving anything that she was doing was unethical would be hard. She gives her customers deals and it cuts into her profit but it's not illegal to do that. It just hurts other consultants. And it could sound like I was vengeful. I just don't say anything. Other that my recruit lead/host and well, other customers at at company it hasn't affected my business. What goes around comes around.

1. How can I get a discount on Pampered Chef products?

There are a few ways to get a discount on Pampered Chef products. You can host a cooking show and earn free and discounted products based on sales, join our Preferred Customer Program for exclusive discounts, or take advantage of any current sales or promotions.

2. Do you offer discounts for bulk orders?

Yes, we do offer discounts for bulk orders. Please contact your Pampered Chef consultant or our customer service team for more information and pricing on bulk orders.

3. What is the return policy for discounted items?

Our return policy for discounted items is the same as our regular return policy. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can return it within 30 days for a full refund or exchange.

4. Can I use a coupon code on a discounted item?

Coupon codes cannot be applied to discounted items. However, you can still earn points towards future discounts through our Preferred Customer Program when purchasing discounted items.

5. Are there any discounts for first-time customers?

We do not offer specific discounts for first-time customers, but we do have promotions and sales that everyone can take advantage of. We also recommend signing up for our newsletter to stay updated on any future discounts or promotions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• quiverfull7
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
cmdtrgd
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • DizziePixie
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies