• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Profitability: The Dangers of Discounting in Business

D
DizziePixie
I got this tip today from one of my email newsletters, TheSuccessFactory.com. I liked this tip because sometimes we get so caught up in offering special deals other than and beyond Pampered Chef's GREAT benefits that we might get trapped ourselves. Read on......

Today's Tip

Subject: Discounting…yes or no?

Tonight's dinner table discussion was an interesting one. Two of my children work at the same neighborhood coffee shop. The coffee shop had a recent change of owners at the beginning of the year. The new and current owner - we'll call him Sam - is in a bit of a dilemma. After owning the shop for nearly eight months now - he is hard pressed to realize a profit. Of course there is the normal three to five year `curve' that applies to any new business, except, that this business has been open - with a very established customer base - for over six years.

So…what's the problem, you may ask.

As in most businesses, there are a variety of contributing factors - including too many Starbuck's within close proximity. However, a HUGE issue is the practice of discounting for `favorite' customers, established by the previous owner. Sam is now trying to do damage control in order to begin to realize some profit without offending the regular customers. It is a tricky situation to be sure.

I share this story today as food for thought for you and your business. Certainly there may be times when you run special sales for your customers. I would caution the practice of discounting too regularly.

Getting into the habit of discounting does several things:

Your customers will begin to balk when you charge full price and only want to buy when they receive a discount.

It devalues your product line.

As in the case of Sam - it is difficult to reverse once started.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - your business is far less profitable when you discount.

As women, sometimes we have difficulty being paid what we are worth. Some of us feel guilty for taking money and therefore “giving a deal” seems like the right thing to do. Men don't do this. Somehow, they are wired differently - I'm convinced of this. Men don't apologize for things they didn't do (ever notice how often women say I'm sorry for something that they had no part in?). Men don't feel bad about or make excuses for money they are paid for a job done; whether in the form of commissions for sales or fees charged if they are a doctor, lawyer, accountant, etc;. The `why's' behind this phenomenon is the stuff self-help books are written about and not the subject of today's tip.

Just remember - you are in business to make money. If you are not in business to make money - then you probably will find yourself with an expensive hobby. Hobbies cost money - businesses make money…period.

Some great food for thought! Thanks for sharing.

Dear reader,Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with discounting in business. It's always valuable to hear different perspectives and learn from others' experiences.As a Pampered Chef consultant, I can definitely relate to the temptation to offer discounts or special deals to our customers. We want to make them happy and keep them coming back, but as you mentioned, there are potential dangers to discounting too regularly.I appreciate your reminder that our business is about making a profit. It can be easy to get caught up in the excitement of sales and promotions, but at the end of the day, we need to make sure we are still making a profit and valuing our products and services.I will definitely keep your story in mind and be cautious about offering discounts too frequently. Thank you for the food for thought and for reminding us of the importance of profitability in business.

1. What is the main danger of discounting in business?

The main danger of discounting in business is that it can devalue your product line and make it difficult to reverse the practice once it has been started.

2. How do customers typically react to regular discounting?

Customers may start to expect discounts and only want to purchase when they receive one, which can hurt your profitability in the long run.

3. Why is it important to avoid discounting too regularly?

Discounting too regularly can make your business less profitable and create a negative perception of your product or service.

4. Do men and women have different approaches to discounting in business?

Yes, women may feel guilty or apologize for charging full price, while men tend to have a more matter-of-fact attitude towards being paid for their work.

5. What should be the main focus of a business?

The main focus of a business should be to make a profit, as opposed to simply breaking even or operating as an expensive hobby.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mrssyvo
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • quiverfull7
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
cmdtrgd
  • Kathytnt