• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with a Bad Check from Hostess: What to Do When You're Out Almost $200

last...hostess...called me and asked to hold the check until the end of the week, (she just gave me the check the night before!) when she knew well enough I had to deposit the send in her show by the 31st (she wasn't the most honest host either). She had bank coverage on overdrafts so she will have to deal with her bank fees and not me. File in small claims court. It will cost you $$ to file, BUT she will have to pay the $200 and any costs you've incurred from this event (bank fees and court fees and filing fees).
sburnside
Gold Member
Can anyone relate? What do I do? At the end of last month, I had a hostess do a small show and wrote me a check for her balance. Luckily, the guests wrote their checks directly to me because the hostess wrote a bad check, promised to send a money order out when I contacted her, and now is not responding to my e-mails and has her cell # blocked for outside calls. Of course, PC is so quick that she had her products before I even knew anything about the bad check. So, now I'm out almost $200 on this show. What else can I do? I don't want to upset the lady she booked from because she and her family members are great and loyal customers. Please give me some advice here!!!

Is it a local bank? Go to the bank and cash it.

Send her a registered letter stating the facts that she owes you x dollars (take into account the money you have been out) by x date. After that, contact your local DA's office. They have a worthless check unit. They will take care of it for you. If she is acting like this toward you, you probably aren't the only one she owes!

I've called three times and no money is there. I am going to continue trying that every few days. I also offered the hostess to return the unopened items when I first found out about the bad check. Has anyone ever had to take someone to small claims? Is it worth that? It is $200 out of my pocket right now.

Thanks Lamar - The registered letter is a good idea.

sburnside said:
I've called three times and no money is there. I am going to continue trying that every few days. I also offered the hostess to return the unopened items when I first found out about the bad check. Has anyone ever had to take someone to small claims? Is it worth that? It is $200 out of my pocket right now.
Try checking the first thing on what might be a 'payday', maybe she has direct deposit. Try the 1st, 15th, last day of month, Fridays....heck I think I would just break down and call first thing every morning. Good luck! And definately send the letter Registered and Return Receipt, at least if you do wind up taking her to court about it you will have proof that you did your part. Oh yeah, document when you called the bank, what time and who you spoke to.

Great advice Linda.

Document everything. Anytime I have anything that needs some sort of resolution, I document every conversation right down to being transferred around, phone options I used etc. I keep it in a notebook and once the situation is resolved, I toss the notes. Date, time , who you spoke with & gist of the conversatiion.

My DD had a situation where the son of the former owners of their home was harassing them, drove over their lawn, kept driving by their house. She kept a record of all the incidents. Notebook was next to the phone. (He finally
stopped. They had sold the house, moved south & came back. I think they were wanting their house back)

I'm glad that I get all the show's sent to me. I don't know what I would do if I had that happen to me. Sorry you are going through this, good luck.

Also, download the bad check brochure that states that it's ILLEGAL to write a bad check from your state's website. Mail that with your letter to the host. Your state might even have a form letter you can use when you send it.

If nothing happens, file in small claims court. It will cost you $$ to file, BUT she will have to pay the $200 and any costs you've incurred from this event (bank fees and court fees and filing fees).

Good luck!

Its hard, especially when we get to the end of the month and want to get our sales in for commission. We deposit those checks, keeping our fingers crossed that the checks will be good. :angel:
I have done this in the past months and lucky for me, have been fine until my last host. She called asked me to hold the check until the end of the week, (she just gave me the check the night before!) when she knew well enough I had to deposit the send in her show by the 31st (she wasn't the most honest host either). She had bank coverage on overdrafts so she will have to deal with her bank fees and not me.

My director really stresses closing out the show that night, depositing those checks and waiting a couple of days for those to clear before we submit those shows. Yes, we all want everything in my the end of the month, but lately I am not sure if it worth the stress of hoping everything cleared and I don't have to track down the products and file any claims against my host!

Just my 2 cents :D

Kelly V.

JaimeQ said:
I'm glad that I get all the show's sent to me. I don't know what I would do if I had that happen to me. Sorry you are going through this, good luck.

you have ALL your shows sent to you? that's an interesting idea!!

All good info given here...I just want to say I am sorry that you are dealing with this. Thank God this is the EXCEPTION to the rule and doesn't happen very often!

We have a mom and pop gas station here and they post hot check writers names on a posterboard in LARGE BOLD letters and tape it in the window. It is at a busy intersection and it cracks me up they can & do post it.

sburnside said:
Can anyone relate? What do I do? At the end of last month, I had a hostess do a small show and wrote me a check for her balance. Luckily, the guests wrote their checks directly to me because the hostess wrote a bad check, promised to send a money order out when I contacted her, and now is not responding to my e-mails and has her cell # blocked for outside calls. Of course, PC is so quick that she had her products before I even knew anything about the bad check. So, now I'm out almost $200 on this show. What else can I do? I don't want to upset the lady she booked from because she and her family members are great and loyal customers. Please give me some advice here!!!

I agree with the regsitered/return-receipt letter and then go file with small claims court. Personally, I wouldn't give her more than two or three days to contact you and resolve the situation - money order or CASH only (since it has been over 30 days, you'd have to pay to mail the stuff back to PC) - and then I would file in court. You have been more than gracious with the time you have given her so far and you have MUCH better things to do with your time than call the bank repeatedly. Sorry if I sound b^&chy... I don't deal well with people that basically steal from me. A mistake is one thing, but if that is all it was, then she would have returned your emails/calls and made things right. Because she is avoiding you, I call that as stealing and deception... people like that really p*ss me off!

And, I would NOT worry about upsetting the person she booked from. SHE (the bad host) stole from YOU... you did NOTHING wrong, illegal, immoral, etc. I would continue to make my regular CCC to the loyal customer and her family. If they seems to change their attitues toward you, then you can ask why and try to delve into the issue VERY carefully. You don't want to bring up the situation unless asked because that just sounds like you are tattling or gossiping, but maybe make a few extra calls to them to make sure everything is good with those contacts.

Let us know what you decide to do.

I would FOR SURE make CCC to those guests...make sure they received their products! If she will steal from you, no telling if she gave out the products!

not sure about in the states but here in canada if someone writes a bad check on their personal acct you can have the bank check daily if the funds are there and then go in and have it certified
cost $10(the cost of certifying a check) and you have your money
you can do this for up to 6 mths from date of check and the only problem would be if the person has put a stop payment on the check

btw it doesnt have to be the persons actual branch just same bank, for business cheques you have to go to their actual branch

try checking this procedure out and if its available for you, that cheque is good for 6 mths even if it cames back nsf and this would be cheaper and easier than going to small claims
because even if u get a ruling in your name there is no guarentee you'll get paid, kinda like getting blood from a stone

good luck

1. What should I do if I receive a bad check from a hostess?

If you receive a bad check from a hostess, the first step is to contact the hostess and inform her of the issue. It is possible that the check was written in error or there may have been a mistake in the check amount. Give the hostess a chance to rectify the situation before taking any further action.

2. Can I still receive my commission if the hostess's check bounces?

Yes, you will still receive your commission for the party as long as the hostess pays the outstanding balance. However, if the check bounces and the hostess fails to make payment, you may not receive your commission for that party.

3. What happens if the hostess refuses to pay for the bounced check?

If the hostess refuses to pay for the bounced check, you may need to take legal action to retrieve the funds. You can also report the incident to your Pampered Chef supervisor for further assistance.

4. Will I be charged any fees for a bounced check from a hostess?

It depends on your bank's policy. Some banks may charge a fee for processing a bounced check, while others may not. It is best to check with your bank for their specific policies on returned checks.

5. How can I prevent receiving a bad check from a hostess in the future?

To prevent receiving a bad check from a hostess, it is important to verify the check amount and ensure that the hostess has sufficient funds in their account before accepting the check. You can also consider accepting alternative forms of payment, such as credit cards or online payments, to avoid the risk of receiving a bad check.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sburnside
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pampered.chris
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
katie0128
  • jesusluvsu2005