• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Amanda's Struggle: Cashing a Check and Feeling Responsible

or should have been...a bad check. And being proactive and not cashing it would have been the right call in this case.
jesusluvsu2005
Okay, I had a host call me this morning and ask me if I had deposited her check she had wrote yet. I had actually taken it to her bank along with another check I had and cashed it. Well, now she's apparently in the negative. I feel so bad like it was my fault for cashing her check instead of depositing it. But she didn't ask me to hold it for a bit or anything so I never would have thought that would happen. I'm actually assuming that it wasn't the check that she wrote me that caused the problem as I don't think her bank would have cashed it. It was probably another thing that went in. But still I feel somewhat responsible. The check she wrote was only for $10. I guess I'm just needing someone to assure me that it was okay to cash it. I know many of you take it to the bank and cash it as well. I just feel really bad now.
God bless,
Amanda

It's her mistake, not yours. Especially since she didn't ask you to hold it.
It's not like you know her account balance, after all.
And...that is exactly the reason many take checks right to the bank!

Don't feel bad!! You have to pay for products when you order them, so does she! I am just happy that you got the $$.

I agree with kspry if someone writes you a check and they want you to hold it for awhile they might have said so, I have had hosts post date checks etc..

I hope it works out.

kspry said:
It's her mistake, not yours. Especially since she didn't ask you to hold it.
It's not like you know her account balance, after all.
And...that is exactly the reason many take checks right to the bank!

Exactly! She should have asked if she could post-date it if she thought there was going to be a problem! I can't believe she actually had the nerve to call you!!! I would have kept my mouth shut! :eek: ....but that's just me!

If she wrote you a check she should have the money to cover it. You are NOT at fault! I would not feel badly at all. I have held check for people from time to time if they ask me. I will not submit a show w/o payment though (unless I know the person really well).

Never accept a post-dated check! In most states, should you accept a post-dated check, then the check bounces, there is nothing you can do to recoup your money. In my state, if you accept a post-dated check and it then bounces, you can't even go to the worthless check unit - because basically, the assumption is, if the check is post-dated, then it is no good, and you accepted it knowing it was no good!

This is not your fault. She ordered products, paid you for them, you cashed the check. End of story. If she doesn't have funds it's her fault.

Last edited:
Amanda,
Not your fault, she wrote a bad check to begin with and she's probably just feeling guilty and taking it out on you. She is at fault.

pamperedlinda said:
If she wrote you a check she should have the money to cover it. You are NOT at fault! I would not feel badly at all. I have held check for people from time to time if they ask me. I will not submit a show w/o payment though (unless I know the person really well).

Ditto what Linda said 100%

Hey, something just occured to me (sometimes I'm a little slow :)). Did she expect the check to bounce on you and not the other person? If that's the case, then she intentionally wrote you a bad check. I know you are a nice person, however, I would not let this person make you feel bad.

Wow, she's having financial issues and she called you about a $10 check...that took some nerve on her part. I'm with Marie-France on this one...I would have been too embarrassed to call if that had been me. Tread lightly with her in the future. You don't want to be on the receiving end of an even bigger check next time, if that's how she handles her finances. And you cashing it versus depositing it should NOT make you feel guilty. When someone writes a check, they are authorizing their bank to release funds in that amount...end of story.

$10 come on.... she doesn't need to even be ordering PC if she doesn't have the money in the bank to cover $10.
Don't feel bad not even for a second....if your account is that low you usually know this was not a surprise to her.

ljeffries said:
Never accept a post-dated check! In most states, should you accept a post-dated check, then the check bounces, there is nothing you can do to recoup your money. In my state, if you accept a post-dated check and it then bounces, you can't even go to the worthless check unit - because basically, the assumption is, if the check is post-dated, then it is no good, and you accepted it knowing it was no good!

How would the bank know it was post-dated if you didn't deposit/cash it until that date or later?

I used to work in banking and post dating doesn't mean a thing (or at least it didn't in the 80's and 90's). Checks are "Payable on Demand" no matter if the date is post dated - the only thing that matters about the date of a check is if it is more than 6 months old or if there is a statement on the check that says "do not cash after XX days"

Thanks guys! I feel much better. I think she was counting on my depositing it instead of cashing it. She had a check she thought she was going to put in the bank today. However, she forgot today was a bank holiday. She is an aquaintance of mine so I think she truly thought by the time I deposited it and it went through she'd be fine. My real assumption is she had a much larger item that went in and combined with my $10 it sent her over. I honestly don't think she did it on purpose. It just really made me feel bad since I had cashed it instead of depositing it. However, in the future I will always make sure to cash her checks at her bank since it's practically across the street. I can't afford bounced check fees. I think my bank charges 25 or 30. We live on an extremely tight budget (more so since they cut my job at Mother's day out) and that could do us in when it's towards the end of the month. Thank you all for helping me feel better!
God bless,
Amanda

when a customer bounces a check with me, I ALWAYS make them pay my bank fee as well (which is only $10). She should pay your fee. I just matter of factly tell them there is a $10 fee for returned checks and now they owe me their order amt plus $10. No one has argued with me. Any retail store will charge you AT LEAST $20 or more for bouncing a check with them.And I don't think there is a difference if you cash it or deposit it, is there?

Related to Amanda's Struggle: Cashing a Check and Feeling Responsible

What is "Amanda's Struggle: Cashing a Check and Feeling Responsible" about?

"Amanda's Struggle: Cashing a Check and Feeling Responsible" is a book that tells the story of Amanda, a young woman who struggles with the responsibility of managing her finances and cashing a check.

Why is Amanda struggling with cashing a check?

Amanda is struggling because she is not familiar with the process of cashing a check and feels overwhelmed by the responsibility of handling her own money.

What lessons can be learned from "Amanda's Struggle: Cashing a Check and Feeling Responsible"?

The book teaches the importance of financial literacy and responsibility. It also highlights the challenges that young adults may face when managing their finances for the first time.

Is "Amanda's Struggle: Cashing a Check and Feeling Responsible" suitable for all ages?

While the book is geared towards young adults, people of all ages can benefit from the lessons and experiences shared in "Amanda's Struggle: Cashing a Check and Feeling Responsible".

Can "Amanda's Struggle: Cashing a Check and Feeling Responsible" be purchased online?

Yes, "Amanda's Struggle: Cashing a Check and Feeling Responsible" can be purchased online through various retailers and platforms, including the Pampered Chef website.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• hoosierchef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Kathytnt
  • sburnside
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies