• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Conference Outfit - Toe Shoes & Clothing Guide

In summary, conference attire is business casual. You will see open toe shoes, Khaki Capris, and Slacks.
Becky0216
I can't seem to find this anywhere even though I know it must be posted.

What should I wear to conference? Are open toe shoes acceptable? How abour clothing? I want to be sure I have the right outfits for this very special occasion!

Attire is business casual. You'll see plenty of open toed sandals.

It's posted on CC that conference is Business Casual. You'll see some people stretching the definitions of that term. :rolleyes: (That's in part due to variations of the definitions in various parts of the country and various industries - capris are a total no-no at my former employer, but are acceptable in warmer climes). One thing that has been stressed by HO for this year is no denim.You'll be "safe" if you wear nice slacks or skirt and pretty blouses or light sweaters. Definitely take comfortable shoes - you'll walk a LOT at McCormick Center. And check with your upline about your Executive banquet. Some EDs and above have themes or request that people dress up.

thanks for the info.
I guess my thong flip flops are out then. I have bad feet and those cheapy flip flops are the only thing comfortable to wear.

No capris? I have a dress pair of gougho pants that would be nice.

Capris are fine to wear. You will see a lot of them there.

As far as shoes go, wear whatever is comfortable for you. If flip flops are the only shoes that work, consider keeping them in your bag and take them out for walking and then switch for the events.

I wore khaki capris and nice shirts last year and will do so again this year. I also plan on wearing sandals again. Of course with painted toe nails to make them look nicer!

ok, great. I have a better idea then. I don't want to be over dressed an uncomfortable, but not underdressed either.

I didn't mean to suggest that capris were out, just that in my neck of the woods they aren't considered business casual. I wore them at conference one year and felt horrifically underdressed.

Nice dressy khaki capris are okay in my book. As long as they aren't demin material. Then again, I work in a factory where alot of things go around here so khaki capris are dressing up for me!

I will be wearing capri's and comfy sandals. I wear a nice top or sweater set with them. I dress for conference the same way that I dress for shows.

I am a SAHM, I've never worked in an office setting, it's been 10 YEARS since I worked in an environment where I had to wear anything dressy, and I attend a church where the dress is casual - so I don't have a dressy wardrobe, and don't have the money to buy special clothing for conference. I will look nice, but will probably be considered underdressed. Oh well!:)

I will wear capris once or twice. But, I'll wear slacks for stage.

If you are taking a HO tour, try to wear closed toe shoes. I don't know what they are doing this year or what they will say, but you really shouldn't be walking in a warehouse in sandals.I personally always have a problem getting "summer shoes". I'm in and out of a warehouse with conveyors and HAVE to have closed shoes. I envy the other office people that can wear all kinds of dress shoes and sandals and look nice. I have to wear tennis shoes or clunky work shoes. :( I actually got a pair similar to these this past winter and was excited to have something that could potentially look dressier with jeans: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/brandsforshoes/gbx/PRD~121191/GBX+Nelles+Shoes.jsp

janetupnorth said:
If you are taking a HO tour, try to wear closed toe shoes. I don't know what they are doing this year or what they will say, but you really shouldn't be walking in a warehouse in sandals.

I personally always have a problem getting "summer shoes". I'm in and out of a warehouse with conveyors and HAVE to have closed shoes. I envy the other office people that can wear all kinds of dress shoes and sandals and look nice. I have to wear tennis shoes or clunky work shoes. :(

I actually got a pair similar to these this past winter and was excited to have something that could potentially look dressier with jeans: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/brandsforshoes/gbx/PRD~121191/GBX+Nelles+Shoes.jsp
I agree! I hate wearing socks and shoes in the summer but due to my work location, I have to wear closed toed shoes also. I wear sandals as much as I can but it still drives me nuts!

Since I wear hard inserts in my shoes, I never wear anything but closed-toe shoes. I'll be wearing pumps, but I find them really comfortable.As for clothes, I tend to do slacks, shell, and a jacket most places. Seriously. Even when I'm out for a day of running errands, I'll usually wear a nice pair of jeans, shell, jacket, and pumps. Now, when I'm power shopping, I wear tennies, jeans, and a PC shirt. As for clothing rules at NC, I think they'd confuse people less if they used the term "corporate casual." Like Ann, I've discovered that "business casual" has lots of different definitions, even within the same geographical area. I've worked in places where it can mean jeans and a nice shirt and places where it means you can skip pantyhose. To me, "corporate casual" carries a more consistent "no denim" connotation.Then again, maybe that's just me.

Unless it's not usually used in your neck of the woods, like around here. One almost never hears that term around here. Most companies use "business casual", although they then follow that up with dress code guidelines. :)I think there's a huge difference between open-toed pumps (peep toe) and someone using the term open-toed to refer to sandals. By my definition (and that of all my prior employers), sandals are NEVER appropriate as business casual, although some conservative peep-toe shoes are.

Ah, more of those geographical differences. LOL!Actually, the guidelines from HO are pretty clear. It's just that there are some who refuse to follow those guidelines.

where exactly are the guidelines for dress for National Conference at??

It's on the conference checklist: https://www.pamperedchef.com/images/cc/us/pdf/nc08_checklist.pdf

• Workshops and tours are business casual events. Women should wear slacks, skirts, jackets, sweater sets or summer dresses. Men should wear dress pants and dress shirts. Shorts and denim are not appropriate for women or men.
  • Achievers walking across stage should wear business dress, such as pant or skirt suits, dresses, or suits and ties.
  • Executive Director banquets are often more dressy occasions, but contact your Executive Director for details.

janetupnorth said:
If you are taking a HO tour, try to wear closed toe shoes. I don't know what they are doing this year or what they will say, but you really shouldn't be walking in a warehouse in sandals.

I personally always have a problem getting "summer shoes". I'm in and out of a warehouse with conveyors and HAVE to have closed shoes. I envy the other office people that can wear all kinds of dress shoes and sandals and look nice. I have to wear tennis shoes or clunky work shoes. :(

I actually got a pair similar to these this past winter and was excited to have something that could potentially look dressier with jeans: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/brandsforshoes/gbx/PRD~121191/GBX+Nelles+Shoes.jsp

In my restaurant life, I was always so envious of the ladies with the pretty shoes. I was always stuck in Danskos (which I am not complaining, they are extremely comfortable, but not the most fashionable) Kept asking the clothing/shoe companies to come up with some fashionable shoes for the ladies in the industry but they kept telling me there was no demand. Pooh, I say to you.

I remember the year everyone wore crocs for footwear probably not what HO would consider appropriate (especially if they are embellished with the new charms that are so popular)

would sneakers be ok with the other business casual clothes?

redsoxgirl said:
would sneakers be ok with the other business casual clothes?
I wore them last year because of all the walking. Just make sure they are a very nice clean pair.

By the way, there was a thread about you a while back because we were missing you!

i got a question! ok so what if i don't really have any business casual wear?
i am not just going to go out and buy clothes to just wear to this conference!

i always wear denim to my shows! It is nice skinny leg denim! and a nice top!

ameliasurf said:

The dress guidelines do specifically say no denim. Do you have some khakis or capris?

chefann said:
It's on the conference checklist: https://www.pamperedchef.com/images/cc/us/pdf/nc08_checklist.pdf

• Workshops and tours are business casual events. Women should wear slacks, skirts, jackets, sweater sets or summer dresses. Men should wear dress pants and dress shirts. Shorts and denim are not appropriate for women or men.
  • Achievers walking across stage should wear business dress, such as pant or skirt suits, dresses, or suits and ties.
  • Executive Director banquets are often more dressy occasions, but contact your Executive Director for details.

Here are the specific guidelines again....

ameliasurf said:

Do you have a local Goodwill? I know some are "above" shopping there, but in some areas you can find NEW, tags still on, name-brand clothing for $2-$3 an item.

Speaking of conference... just ordered 3 short sleeve sweaters, 1 cardigan and a cute sleeveless (I know, if you saw my arms you would be thinking... what was SHE thinking, but hey, no body's perfect!!) dress from Talbots sale. I haven't bought anything for a year or so and am desparate for some nice tops. The dress was an afterthought. On sale, plus got 15% off on top of that. It's going to be my "going out with the Ladies Saturday night in Chicago" dress.

Which, BTW, if anyone else is staying Saturday night, you are welcome to hang out with us. But beware.. we get a little crazy. Keep in mind, we are all in our 50's (cough, cough.. really 28, at least that is MY story) but still manage to have a blast. Last year we ended up at this piano bar drinking martinis, this year we are determined to get to good blues club.

I'm gonna melt! As an 11-year Alaskan, I'm worried about dressing nicely and not sweating immensely - I know some conference areas have AC, but it's also hard to find business shoes that are good walking shoes and summer shoes...eep! Thank goodness I have have another pay check before then :)

I know this sounds dumb but this is my 1st conf and I am pregnant. I do have khaki capri's but they have a pocket on the side. I have really cute tank tops that are summer casual are those ok? Unfortunatly this is my last bby and I don't want to spend tons on new maternity clothes. Anyway I am soooo excited!!! I can't wait till conf. Hope to see/meet some of you at wave2.

I don't consider tank tops business casual, but I'm in the "err on the side of caution" group. I do think that if you're obviously pregnant, people will give you a little leeway. And nobody's going to send someone home, anyway, for being inappropriately dressed (as much as I wish they'd do that).

thanks for the help. They are dressier/flowier if that is a word than a reg ols tank top. They also have thick straps not spagetti straps. We will see I have other things as well. What does the temp seem to be like in the building as well. No Offense please keep in mind that I am always cold and when preg mostly never hot either. No personal summers here yet.

pchefjaime said:
thanks for the help. They are dressier/flowier if that is a word than a reg ols tank top. They also have thick straps not spagetti straps. We will see I have other things as well. What does the temp seem to be like in the building as well. No Offense please keep in mind that I am always cold and when preg mostly never hot either. No personal summers here yet.

Of the 3 NC's I have gone to - year 1 it was alike a meat locker - year two it was so hot it was hard to stay awake in workshops - year three it was comfy.

If you choose clothing that fits, is in good repair and you feel good in you will be fine. No denim, no shorts, no bare anything. Shoes do not matter as long as they are clean and in good repair and most of all comfortable. Comfort is the important thing. This is for most people most of the time. If capris are what you wear then wear them, if you like to dress "nicer" then do it but don't break the bank on your clothing budget ...unless you want to have an excuse to shop.

Executive dinner dress depends on your group. Find out if there is a theme and go with that (I need to find some cute slippers to go with the "business casual night wear" that I will wear to my exec dinner).

If you are walking for any reason you'll need to consider that when dressing for that day. If your shoes aren't great for walking, just put them in your tote and wear comfortable shoes except during that general session.

It's not that complicated, really. The whole point of stating a dress code is so that we look professional. We will be intermixed in the halls with other professionals at their conferences and we will have PC plastered all over the place. We want to leave a good impression.

BethCooks4U said:
If you choose clothing that fits, is in good repair and you feel good in you will be fine. No denim, no shorts, no bare anything. Shoes do not matter as long as they are clean and in good repair and most of all comfortable. Comfort is the important thing. This is for most people most of the time. If capris are what you wear then wear them, if you like to dress "nicer" then do it but don't break the bank on your clothing budget ...unless you want to have an excuse to shop.

Executive dinner dress depends on your group. Find out if there is a theme and go with that (I need to find some cute slippers to go with the "business casual night wear" that I will wear to my exec dinner).

If you are walking for any reason you'll need to consider that when dressing for that day. If your shoes aren't great for walking, just put them in your tote and wear comfortable shoes except during that general session.

It's not that complicated, really. The whole point of stating a dress code is so that we look professional. We will be intermixed in the halls with other professionals at their conferences and we will have PC plastered all over the place. We want to leave a good impression.

Beth...WELL SAID!!

I stressed and stressed over what to wear my first year, and even somewhat last year. Really...if you look nice, ironed, and nothing is "hanging out" that shouldn't be, you are good! I wore capris, nice tops, and my slip on croc sandels...I fit in fine! There is no need to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe!

I can guarantee you that there will be folks there dressed "better" than you, "worse" than you, and some that need to be SENT HOME since they think they are at a hooker's convention:eek: ....or some that look like they rolled out of bed and got on the bus to the convention center.:eek: Common sense rules. Seems like the majority of folks on this board were born with some of that, so I am sure you all will be OK! It's the ones who aren't even CONCERNED about what they are wearing are the ones who cause the problems!! :D

http://www.i-am-pregnant.com/1226617200

I just bought black patent leather "fit flops". I find them less casual than regular $5 flip flops because of the substantial sole and lots of fabric over the top of the foot. They are extremely comfy and they work out your leg muscles while you walk! I have plantar fascitis and heel spurs, so lots of walking can practically cripple my feet. I plan on wearing them for the walking and then slip on nicier shoes for events. Check them out, I know Macy's and Victoria's Secret have them.

Last year (my first year) I wore new, slack -material capris both days, new button up tops and shoes were Mary Jane Sketchers. I felt totally appropriate, not too dressed up and not underdressd! For the dinner I wore black slack type pants and a black button up, as we had no theme to go by. I hope that helps!

Be comfortable and look presentable. Thats all I have to say..................

chefann said:
Unless it's not usually used in your neck of the woods, like around here. One almost never hears that term around here. Most companies use "business casual", although they then follow that up with dress code guidelines. :)

I think there's a huge difference between open-toed pumps (peep toe) and someone using the term open-toed to refer to sandals. By my definition (and that of all my prior employers), sandals are NEVER appropriate as business casual, although some conservative peep-toe shoes are.

AT our mini regional they said business casula and people showe up in jeans and some in jean shorts. I have a suit that is longer shorts and a suit jacket that I wear with nice open toed pumped and I consider that business casual
You're right, everyone has there own defination and some take it to the extreme :)

What should I wear to conference?

For conference, we recommend business casual attire. This can include dress pants or a skirt with a blouse, or a dress. Avoid wearing jeans, shorts, or overly revealing clothing.

Are open toe shoes acceptable?

Yes, open toe shoes are acceptable for conference. However, we recommend avoiding flip flops or sandals with excessive straps. A closed-toe dress shoe or a classic pump would be more appropriate.

How about clothing?

As mentioned before, business casual attire is appropriate for conference. This can include dress pants, skirts, dresses, blouses, and dress shoes. Avoid wearing casual clothing such as t-shirts, sweatshirts, and athletic wear.

I want to be sure I have the right outfits for this very special occasion!

We understand that conference is a special occasion and you want to dress to impress. We recommend choosing outfits that make you feel confident and comfortable. Stick to neutral colors and avoid overly flashy or distracting patterns. And don't forget to add some Pampered Chef flair with a stylish apron or accessory!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefsarah
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pcchefjane
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies
Views
merego