• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Completely Ot: When Are the Smurfs Going to Come Back??

In summary, the Smurfs have come back and are promoting communism. We don't need this cartoon in our society and it's not PC enough for today's society.
redsoxgirl
Strawberry Shortcake, Transformers, Rubick's Cube and more have come back.

When are my beloved Smurfs going to make a return?? :cry:

It's probably not PC enough for today's society...

You're probably right.
Stupid PCness - don't even get me started on that! LOL

Hey we watch the reruns on Cartoon or boomerang all the time!! Its fun to get my son watching old shows. He's 3 1/2 and loves tom and Jerry, Yogi, Droopy.

I LOVE THE SMURFS! I watch the reruns too!

I loved the smurfs will have to check cat=rtoon network and see when they are on. Care bears has also come out and I have seen a few rainbow brights floating around.

I recently saw a Popple in a store.

I saw the Popples to in the store and just about died i couldn't believe it. Also saw the pound puppies on tv the other day as well.

LOL, I loved the smurfs when I was little!
It's amazing all the things that my girls play with that have made a comeback; that were popular back in the day...

I always loved the Care Bears too. I collected the Pound Puppies but I did not watch them that I remember.

Loved the Smurfs and Carebears! I'd love for my kids to see the old school saturday cartoons, cause this new age animation sucks for saturday cartoons!

I used to love watching the Smurfs! The Jetson's were my favorite, though! :)

I hope those *&^%#! Smurfs NEVER come backWe don't need the return of a cartoon that teaches Communism.

We weren't allowed to watch the Smurfs when I was a kid. :rolleyes:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
We don't need the return of a cartoon that teaches Communism.

Apparently none of us kids understood that because my brothers and I watched it and we're not commies ;)

(oh my gosh- I just replied to Kitchen Guy for the first time - I'm honored!!)

my DD got a pound puppy from her grandma for Christmas.

I love the smurfs!!! Love the Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake too! My DD actually has a couple of stuffed Care Bears that were mine when I was younger.

Now, if I could just figure out what I did with my smurf figurines......... :rolleyes:

redsoxgirl said:
Apparently none of us kids understood that because my brothers and I watched it and we're not commies ;)

(oh my gosh- I just replied to Kitchen Guy for the first time - I'm honored!!)
We already went around and around about this topic, last Spring.

Did anyone happen to notice that they changed the CareBears when they re-released them??? They had to PC them as well ... the old style used to have their tongues sticking out as one of their trademarks. People apparently considered that to be very offensive, so the new ones have lost that feature.

Well, the Smurfs turn 50 shortly so lots of celebrations planned in Belgium (their home). They came to the US in 1981.

janetupnorth said:
Well, the Smurfs turn 50 shortly so lots of celebrations planned in Belgium (their home). They came to the US in 1981.

I heard that on the radio this morning! There's going to be some 3-D movie or something, a new comic book and they're re-releasing the cartoon!

WOO HOO!!!

Last edited:
I just saw on-line that ther will be a Smurfs movie.

I don't really know how the Smurfs promote Communism, but I LOVED the Smurfs!! They were so cute and always worked together. They had little tiffs, but in the end always loved each other and did what was best for the group.

Hmmmm...reminds me a little of Chef Success. Sorry KG!

I think the communism angle is pretty clear. Just some of the obvious parallels:

The Smurfs live in an ideal commune - the root word of "communism" - a utopia where everyone does his job and all subscribe to the ideal of everyone according to his ability, to everyone according to their needs. No one ever left the commune...er...village and no one ever came to join them. (Actually, one outsider came to the village in one episode and was driven out because "Outsider Smurf" didn't add anything to the commune.)

In The Communist Manifesto, Marx says, "In this sense the theory of the Communists may be summed up in a simple sentence: Abolition of private property." None of the Smurfs own anything. The entire village, the mushroom shaped huts, all of it, was a part of the community. (There's that word again.)

The village is populated by characters who all have the same last name - Smurf. Each character has a job to do, and their job defines their name. There are no two characters doing the same job - no competition - so there is one Baker Smurf, one Tailor Smurf, one Handy Smurf, one Painter Smurf, etc. and the Smurf nomenclature is similar to the communist moniker of "Comrade." Farmer Smurf doesn't sell his produce to the Smurfs, it's all kept in a central store and distributed to everyone - to each according to his needs. (In one episode, everyone changed jobs. It was a disaster, so everyone went back to their assigned job. The lesson? Stick to what you do best, whatever Papa Smurf, the state, has determined is your ideal job.)

There is a benevolent dictator who runs everything - Papa Smurf - who is dressed in red, the color of communism. No one in the village decides anything without running to Papa Smurf for his approval. Disputes are settled by Papa Smurf. If you look at Papa Smurf and look at a portrait of Karl Marx, the resemblance is disturbingly similar.

PapaKarlColor.jpg

No doubt in my mind - Peyo was a Communist and so is his creation. The very first time I saw a Smurf cartoon, I said the Smurfs were Communists and was ridiculed for my view - but if you weigh the evidence, it is overwhelming.

Peyo went to his grave denying that he had purposely created propaganda to indoctrinate kids into the Communist way. Perhaps that was not his intent but if art is the expression of the soul, Peyo was a Communist. You can do a search on the Internet and find this discussion in many, many academic places. We pretty thoroughly discussed it here, in a thread already linked in this thread.

Okay, KG....have a donut! I still like the Smurfs. I guess I'm a commie!

Man, I am such a thread killer!! Maybe I should re-name myself! Woo-hoo!

Maybe ;) no one wants to talk to a communist?

Ahhhh...now it all makes sense. :p

I loved the Smurfs too and Fraggle Rock, anyone watch that one?????
I would much rather my kids watch those than the crap that's on now!! -YO GABBA GABBA- I turn this anytime it comes on and won't let my DD or DS watch it!! Just like the teletubbies, they're creepy!!!

Fraggle Rock just never seemed to catch on for some reason, which surprised me. Usually, Jim Henson had the Midas touch for anything television related, from Sesame Street to The Muppet Show. I must also have been the only person in North America who loved The Muppets on SNL's first season.I'm completely underwhelmed by today's Saturday Morning fare, but I wouldn't let my kids (if I had any) watch The Smurfs, either, for the reasons listed above.

This was on WalMart DVD Coming Soon- DVD Release Date: 02/26/2008The long wait is over..."the Smurfs" on DVD for the first time ever! They're finally here! Handy, Hefty, Grouchy, Brainy, Lazy, Smurfette, Papa Smurf and more favorites bring you the greatest show on Smurf - on DVD for the first time ever. It's Season One, Vol. 1 of "Smurfs' Adventures," the Emmy-winning animated series (Outstanding Children's Entertainment Series 1982-83) that delighted Saturday morning cartoon fans for nearly a decade. Of course, where Smurfs are, you'll also find evil wizard Gargamel and his cat Azrael - plus monsters, dragons and trolls - keeping our three-apple-high heroes on their tiny blue toes throughout 19 cartoon escapades. Ready for adventure, laughs and enchantment? Abso-Smurfly! Episodes include: Disc 1: "The Smurf's Apprentice," "The Smurfette," "Vanity Fare," "King Smurf," "The Astrosmurf," "Jokey's Medicine," "St. Smurf And The Dragon," "Sorcerer Smurf" and "The Smurfs And The Howlibird" Disc 2 - Side A: "The Magical Meanie," "Bewitched, Bothered, And Be-Smurfed," "Smurf-Colored Glasses," "Dreamy's Nightmare," "Fuzzle Trouble," "Soup A La Smurf," "All That Glitters Isn't Smurf," "Romeo And Smurfette," "The Hundredth Smurf" and "Smurphony in 'C?".

Too funny!Who would ever think that my smurf avatar would come up again after all this time!!:rolleyes: Leave it up to kitchen guy! Forgot all about that post!! :)

Nuh-uh, it wasn't me. Redsoxgirl stirred up the can of worms! Notice there's no Pampered Chef Smurf? Didja ever wonder why?"...you'll also find evil wizard Gargamel..." We forgot to mention Gargamel, the representation of capitalism in Peyo's ideal little world. Yup - that awful, terrible, evil capitalism that brought you TPC among other things.

Allow me to introduce Baker Smurf who makes the Smurfiest cakes!

Smurfs_Color_Pictures_Baker_Smurf.jpg

Last edited:
You know, I want allowed to watch the smurfs as a child. My parents told me it was because Azrael was a demon in the Bible and that the show was in some way satanic. ?? (My parents were extremely strict!! I couldnt watch sesame street bc they had a program on one show called "NTV" -- promoting the letter ofcourse-- and they didnt like the association.) So, I'm not familiar with any of the things you guys are talking about, but reading all the things that the kitchen guy has said actually makes sense. I would have to do the research myself, but now I am very interested in seing the new movie and possibly finding something on the internet regarding the communism aspect of this particular cartoon.

My favs growing up were Fraggle Rock (loved the books!!), Rainbow Brite and Pound Puppies. I had a HUGE collection of PP until ahouse fire and I never was interested in them after that. But I still LOVE Fraggle Rock! I read the books to my DD every time we go to the pediatrician! I would love for them to come back...

Related to Completely Ot: When Are the Smurfs Going to Come Back??

When are my beloved Smurfs going to make a return??

The Smurfs made a comeback in 2011 with the release of the movie "The Smurfs" and its sequels. However, there hasn't been any news of a new Smurfs project in the works.

Are there any Strawberry Shortcake products available now?

Yes, Strawberry Shortcake has made a comeback with new toys, dolls, and even a TV series in 2018.

Have the Transformers returned?

Yes, the Transformers franchise has experienced a resurgence with new movies, TV shows, and merchandise being released regularly.

Is the Rubik's Cube popular again?

The Rubik's Cube has never really gone away and is still a popular puzzle toy. In recent years, there have been new versions and variations of the Rubik's Cube released.

What other nostalgic products have made a comeback?

Other nostalgic products that have made a comeback include My Little Pony, Care Bears, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. These franchises have seen new movies, TV shows, and merchandise in recent years.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
milkangel
Replies
Views
susanr613
  • Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila