• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's for Dinner - Need Ideas for Feeding a Crew of Hungry Men?

In summary, the person had a late night, and is now getting ready to feed a crew of guys. They have ideas for meals for 5-6 people. The main meal is going to be chicken BBQ with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
Starting early for you Rennea, because I need some ideas.
We had a very late night last night - went to look at Truck Camper that was a 90 minute drive away, and then by the time we decided to buy it, and get it on the trailer to bring home (not on the truck, since DH has a topper on it, and all of his work equipment in it), and stop 3-4 times to make sure that it was still firmly attached to the trailer - well, it was after midnight when we got home, and almost 2am by the time we all got to bed and to sleep. (oh - and we have been want to go to a Truck Camper, because we pull a car trailer quite often when we are camping with DH's other baby on it - for car shows. We bought a nice older model Palomino Pop-Up Truck Camper. Got a great deal, and I'm excited about sprucing it up and going camping!)

Today - We've been up since 6:30am, have a whole crew of guys coming today(any minute now!:eek: ) to help DH with the roof and other construction on the house - and I have to feed them all lunch and dinner....plus probably snacks. I'm doing Sloppy Joes, Potato Salad, veggies and dip, and Strawberry Shortcake for lunch....but need some great ideas from you all on Dinner for 5-6 hungry, much appreciated men.

Put a roast in a crockpot now...easy and it can cook all day.
Make some nice mashed potatoes to go with it to fill them up.Apple crisp and ice cream for dessert.

Other things are a big spot of spaghetti or lasagna but you may be too tired for Lasagna...or some stuffed shells...

how about spaghetti
chicken spaghetti (I've posted the recipe somewhere on another thread)
chicken and rice with a salad

Ooh...my other favorite meal to make as a thank-you is a nice spiral ham...with a pineapple/brown sugar type glaze and serve with garlic mashed potatoes, corn, homemade bread, etc.Everyone LOVES a good decent ham and it isn't much work either.(Notice I'm going for nice filling home-cooked meals?)

I don't have a roast....and I'm using the end of the potatoes in the potato salad.

I have chicken - lots of chicken of all kinds (whole, legs, thighs, bone-in breasts, boneless skinless breasts)....and I have hot dogs, bacon, ground turkey, lots of eggs, lots of cheeses, a huge bag of baby spinach, and all kinds of veggies (just not potatoes).

DS and I will probably go to the local Italian resturant. They make the best Eggplant Rolatini - yummo

Okay - I'm not trying to be difficult, but I had thought of spaghetti, and then thought that I'm having tomato sauce based sloppy joes for lunch, and that might be too similar. (it's the caterer in me coming out)........I also thought about just grilling a bunch of chicken, and doing corn on the cob, and garlic parmesan biscuit bites, and maybe a green bean casserole.....hmmmmm.....

Hmm...want me to give you what I did for the shredded chicken the other day?

ChefBeckyD said:
Okay - I'm not trying to be difficult, but I had thought of spaghetti, and then thought that I'm having tomato sauce based sloppy joes for lunch, and that might be too similar. (it's the caterer in me coming out)........I also thought about just grilling a bunch of chicken, and doing corn on the cob, and garlic parmesan biscuit bites, and maybe a green bean casserole.....hmmmmm.....
That's a good meal!Ooh, and I think the same way (I'm NOT a caterer...), I can't make two similar things in one day or two days in a row.

janetupnorth said:
Hmm...want me to give you what I did for the shredded chicken the other day?
I'm actually thinking about switching from sloppy joes to chicken BBQ's for lunch - but I'd just use Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. Make it easy! I really wanted to work on planting my garden today - not spend the day cooking....eta:No - I think I'll stick with the sloppy joes for lunch, and I am going to do that Greek Marinade for the chicken again, and do the grilled chicken for dinner. There - now I have a plan!

Last edited:
ChefBeckyD said:
I'm actually thinking about switching from sloppy joes to chicken BBQ's for lunch - but I'd just use Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. Make it easy! I really wanted to work on planting my garden today - not spend the day cooking....

I made a sauce, then mixed in some Sweet Baby Rays - they LOVED that!

Oh, I'm hoping to get my tomato plants today! :)I have my buckets all set to go (well 2 so far)...and old swingset frame to hang them from in our yard...I have strawberries coming up already (need to figure out what are weeds and get them out of there...I'm so bad at that)...Hostas coming up...Chives up...Phlox is doing good...Some other perennials that I forgot what they are called...My peonies and lilac bush are still really, really tiny...may still take a few years to thrive...

Oh, I need to get some good pepper plants since SOMEONE gave me a great salsa recipe again for this fall! ;)

I have tomato & pepper seedlings waiting to be planted - and onion bulbs....and I have seeds to get in the ground.

Micah and I also went yesterday and bought a bunch of different flowers, etc....to make our own planters.

I have chives that are doing well, and rhubarb, and starting to see little nubs on my raspberries that will turn to flower bud!

I'd love to have strawberries too - but I'm out of real estate.:cry:

ChefBeckyD said:
I have tomato & pepper seedlings waiting to be planted - and onion bulbs....and I have seeds to get in the ground.Micah and I also went yesterday and bought a bunch of different flowers, etc....to make our own planters. I have chives that are doing well, and rhubarb, and starting to see little nubs on my raspberries that will turn to flower bud!I'd love to have strawberries too - but I'm out of real estate.:cry:
I'd have the real estate but not the time or money to clear it, get some good dirt down vs. sand/clay, plant, fence from the wild critters and maintain...I have a hard time keeping up with outside and inside all summer, but we're getting there...I'll have to take some pictures later of our yard in progress...I can cut the lawn, but I'm quite a novice at landscaping/gardening so my stuff is very amateur looking.

It's a picnic/barbeque day - so we're grilling and munching all day. This morning, I'm pre-cooking my corn on the cob to heat on the grill later. I am marinating chicken breasts for grilling and made some mongo burgers too. I have an extra pair of pizza crusts from last night - made extras to bring the best along to the party. The garlic artichoke won hands down, basil strawberry coming in a close second. I have a saute pan full of onions for the burgers and I'm thawing cool whip and pound cake to make a strawberry trifle for the gang. We'll be at the forest preserve stoking the fire pit and with grills a-smokin'. I'll be passing around the batter bowl and salad chopper with onions, tomatoes, and cilantro with a splash of lime juice for an as-you-go salsa. If I wasn't already bringing my entire kitchen, I would be making mojitos too but one more thing is like 'just one thin mint' and I'll explode.I keep a few catalogs and order forms in my trunk just in case I inspire someone.

I don't know what we're having for dinner, but for the first time since I subscribed to Rachel Ray in January, I've actually ripped out a bunch of recipes to try next week. I'm not making a trip to the grocery store today because it's 8 miles away, and I have food in the house. If my dh gets home for dinner, I'll probably have him grill Jennie O turkey brats. I have some Ore Ida roasted potatoes for a side, and I'll eat salad.

Okay - lunch is done. We had the Sloppy Joes, and ended up having deviled eggs instead of potato salad, because I ran out of time. Veggies & Dip, chips, and then the guys decided to have their shortcake later for a snack.

I have chicken marinating, need to shuck some corn, clean the kitchen, asemble the green bean casserole, and then I'll finally be able to go work in my garden! At least supper, although it sounds big, is all easy stuff to do.

Hey - now there's 2 of these threads!:p

We had Hibachi Chicken and baked potatoes. Hibachi Chicken is one of my fast, easy meals. You just saute sliced mushrooms (a 1 pound package) in equal amounts (about 2T each) of butter and soy sauce. Once they're cooked through, slide them to the side of the pan. Add more butter and soy sauce (another 2 T each, give or take) to the open area of the pan, then cook up bite-sized pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breast (a couple of pounds). Once the chicken is cooked through, mix the mushrooms and chicken together and sprinkle with sesame seeds.For variation, I like using different types of mushrooms or black sesame seeds. You can also make this with steak. Just leave out the sesame seeds.It's really good served with rice, but we prefer brown rice cooked in stock, and I'm out of stock.

Sounds good Rae! I just browned some meat and made simple tacos for everyone. Nothing fancy, the kids and DH only like meat and cheese in their tacos anyway.All the extra toppings are for me! :)

janetupnorth said:
Sounds good Rae!

I just browned some meat and made simple tacos for everyone. Nothing fancy, the kids and DH only like meat and cheese in their tacos anyway.
All the extra toppings are for me! :)

That's the same here! Only we add sour cream, too. Silly people don't ever want lettuce, tomatoes, onions, salsa, etc. They are all a bunch of bumps on a log when it comes to eating anything "good"!!

I got to go to a retirement party for my dad's cousin (he is more like an uncle to me...grew up with lots of that part of the family visiting EVERY TUESDAY evening...to chat and have dessert...) and got to see a lot of people that I haven't seen in years. DH and DSD stayed here (again, bumps on a log the two of them...) and Evan and I went and had a great time! Had really good broasted chicken, potatoe salad, brocolli salad, fruit, and YUMMY CAKE and COOKIES!! There was more on the buffet, but those were the things that sounded good to me. Thankfully, the fruit was the BEST and it was the only thing I went back for seconds on!

Well I took too long to get out of the house today and by the time I was finished unloading and putting away the groceries it was 6:00 pm, so we just had grilled ham and cheese sammies with kettle chips and tea.

Tomorrow I'm making Italian Sausage and Cheese Flatpies with a chef salad on the side. DH is rather excited about this new dish I'll be trying because it's made with puff pastry, cheese and italian sausage...three of this favorite things. :)

Since DH has been gone for months, it's been tough for me to get to the grocery store. The "thrill" of taking the kids to the grocery store with me wore off a long time ago! I avoid it at all costs! So, tonight my son and I had cheese omelettes and toast and sausage, and my daugher and 2 yr old son had Chocolate Malt-o-Meal and toast. I feel horribly guilty cuz it really was disgusting tonight! It's not a bad thing to have once in a while for breakfast, but...

He'll be home in a week though!!!!! Maybe we'll have some good food again!

1. What is the "What's for Dinner" meal for May 24th?

The featured meal for May 24th is a delicious BBQ chicken and vegetable skewers with a side of roasted potatoes.

2. How long will it take to prepare the May 24th meal?

The estimated prep time for the May 24th meal is 30 minutes.

3. Are there any vegetarian options for the May 24th meal?

Yes, we also have a vegetarian option available for the May 24th meal which includes grilled vegetable skewers and quinoa salad.

4. Can I substitute any ingredients for the May 24th meal?

Yes, you can customize your meal by swapping out any protein or vegetable options based on your personal preferences or dietary restrictions.

5. Will the ingredients for the May 24th meal be pre-measured?

Unfortunately, the ingredients for the May 24th meal will not be pre-measured. However, all the necessary ingredients will be listed and can be easily measured with our convenient measuring tools.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • GourmetGirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies