• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Chipotle Chili Cornbread Bake -- Show Outline

And described while I put together the beans, salsa and chipotle rub...then into the microwave for five while I mix up the cornbread...its smooth sailing once you've drained the liquids.
leftymac
I'm making this at a show for the first time (first time at a show -- not first time making it). Anyone done this yet at a show and care to talk about how well it worked/didn't work? If anyone's willing to share a show outline, I'd be forever grateful. :)

I don't have a show outline, but I did this at a show last week. The one thing to remember is that there are several instances where the DCB is in the microwave, and there really aren't other things you can prep. I mean, you can prep the cornbread mixture during one microwave moment, you can seed and dice the tomato and grate the cheese. But there are more lulls than prep steps, so you'll want to work something like the cookware into those lulls.

Good point Noora. This is the time you can cross-sell items, talk about monthly specials. Do the ticket game, etc. A game plan is needed to use every minute you have.

Keith, I just noticed you are a French teacher. I am a 4th grade teacher. Think of your show like a lesson plan, and you'll have no problem.

Oh I'm not worried about actually doing it. I will sit down and make an outline for it -- I just wanted to see what others had done first.

I brown the meat (peppers and green onions) at home and drain the liquids ... I can't imagine doing it with a hot DCB, hot liquids, and trying not to drop something while an audience of guests are watching.

So step one is done at home ... And described while I put together the beans, salsa and chipotle rub ... then into the microwave for five while I mix up the cornbread ... its smooth sailing once you've drained the liquids. (Note they happen to not show that step on the instructional video)

Here's the show outline I came up with. What do you all think?

Btw, if you read it and you're wondering "Who is Priscilla?", she's a friend of mine who loves the stainless bowls and plans to talk them up.

Attachments

• Chipotle Chili Cornbread Show Outline.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 231
Okay, here's what I came up with. What do you think?

I'll be browning the meat/draining it before guests arrive, then talking about how I used the chopper, forged cutlery, and cutting boards. Then the rest will turn into an actual demo.

Attachments

• Chipotle Chili Cornbread Show Outline.pdf
    21.1 KB · Views: 504
If the host has no eggs just add a little water... yup this happened
if you forget to add the salsa nad beans until after you already add the cornbread just scoop it off and add the other stuff then add back the cornbread... Yup same show... I was super distracted! It all turned out fine. Probably would have had 3 recruits if they had not been former cons! Arg....

Good luck this is a fun demo!

I did cook the meat ahead...

I have only done this at home, but I use 93% ground beef, instead of 90%, and don't drain the liquids (because I, too, don't know how that can be done safely). Just a thought.

The last time I made this at home, I used 90% or leaner ground beef and I didn't drain the liquids. When you use lean meat, the liquids are mostly just the juices and not necessarily grease. I left it to see if it meant that it would cook weird or be too runny. It actually seemed to be fine. So at a show, if it's lean meat, I'm going to just leave it. If it's not quite that lean, then I'd drain it. You can either tip the baker to one side and use paper towels to soak up the grease, or just dump the meat in the colander and bowl set (or SS colander and the 4 qt. SS bowl) and then quickly put it back in the baker. That will show off even more products, but it does mean more dirty dishes and another step. :D

also if you have lots of grease or juices the turkey baster is great for sucking them out. I do this all the time when I am doing 3+ lbs of GB for make ahead GB.

One way that I "drain" meats safely, is just push the meat to one side of the DCB, tilt it slightly and stick papertowels on the liquid. I sucks it right up and you can just throw away the papertowels. That way I'm not trying to hold the DCB, balance, pray meat doesnt fall down the sink, drop the DCB, and look like I was the one pounding the wine instead of the guests ;-)

pampchefsarah said:
I have only done this at home, but I use 93% ground beef, instead of 90%, and don't drain the liquids (because I, too, don't know how that can be done safely). Just a thought.

I use 93% lean ground turkey, and I've never drained it either. This has become a new favorite meal at our house!

Hi, I have not read all the answers you have received, Keith. I have made this at several shows. When there is a lull, I jokingly do a commercial break - talk about the host specials coming up, etc. I also use the booking slide - another commercial break...if I have talked a lot about hosting shows before "commercial" I use the recruiting side. I use the folder with all the specials coming up, why they want to host a show, what the current hostess gets when they host their show, etc, etc. Nobody seems to mind my commercials as long as I tell them "time for commercial break" :)

OK. I'm making this for the first time at a show tonight, love the recipe at home. My question is the host also wants the Strawberry, Coconut Trifle from this seasons cookbook. Is there enough time while the DCB is in the microwave to do the different steps of the Trifle during those times?

I do this recipe at almost every show...draining the liquids is easy and I think it is powerful for the guest to see I am putting raw meat in the dcb! My key to draining is don't stir before you drain...pull the dcb out and drain, the meat/veggies stick together and makes for an easy drain.

I do an all hands on cooking show instead of the demo type show...so I do two recipes at all of my shows and the cooking time in the microwave allows for easy time to put in another recipe. But never do two recipes that require the microwave or it slows you down too much!

I try never to do any part of the recipe at home - especially when demoing a main dish that's supposed to take 30 minutes or less. I want them to SEE how fast it all comes together and how easy it is. If a host insists on a recipe that requires a lot of time or pre-prep I give her the recipe and she makes that and I do a DEMO RECIPE. The only time I do anything at home is if it's a demo somewhere where I won't have a way to cook it and then I offer recipe choices that don't need cooking. If I am serving chips or cinnamon chips with the recipe I might make them at home but I've even got away from that and just have them buy ready made ones. People are looking for fast and easy these days and even though making your own chips is quick it's putzy so they would rather buy.

As far as draining liquids from the DCB or any recipe for that matter is concerned, I use the baster (baster and cleaning brush). It is perfect for that and then I talk about how easy clean up is with the brush that comes with it. I put the liquids into an easy read measure cup and point out that depending on what the liquid is and what else you are making you can use it for that part of the recipe instead of other liquid/fat (for instance to make a gravy). I would NEVER try to pour out liquid/fat from the DCB - I would be afraid that either I'd drop the baker or that I'd spill out the food.

etteluap70PC said:
also if you have lots of grease or juices the turkey baster is great for sucking them out. I do this all the time when I am doing 3+ lbs of GB for make ahead GB.

I can't figure out how to use the baster. I suck up the grease, but then when I lift it out and go towards another container to squirt it into, it just runs right out of the baster. It's like the vacuum aspect isn't working. :confused:

babywings76 said:
I can't figure out how to use the baster. I suck up the grease, but then when I lift it out and go towards another container to squirt it into, it just runs right out of the baster. It's like the vacuum aspect isn't working. :confused:

Keep holding the bulb until you get it over the bowl or whatever you're putting the juice into. Sometimes if I haven't used it in a while I'll have that happen with the first bit of it but then once I adjust it works great. Like everything, practice.

Related to Chipotle Chili Cornbread Bake -- Show Outline

1. What ingredients do I need to make the Chipotle Chili Cornbread Bake?

To make the Chipotle Chili Cornbread Bake, you will need 1 pound of ground beef, 1 can of kidney beans, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of corn, 1 package of cornbread mix, 1 egg, 1/2 cup of milk, 1/4 cup of melted butter, 1 tablespoon of chipotle chili powder, and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.

2. Can I use a different type of meat instead of ground beef?

Yes, you can use any type of ground meat you prefer, such as turkey, chicken, or pork. You can also make it vegetarian by omitting the meat entirely and adding more beans or vegetables.

3. How do I assemble the Chipotle Chili Cornbread Bake?

First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a skillet, cook the ground beef until browned, then add in the beans, tomatoes, and corn. In a separate bowl, mix together the cornbread mix, egg, milk, melted butter, and chipotle chili powder. Spread half of the cornbread batter into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish, then pour the beef and bean mixture on top. Sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese, then top with the remaining cornbread batter and cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the cornbread is golden brown and cooked through.

4. Can I make this dish ahead of time?

Yes, you can assemble the Chipotle Chili Cornbread Bake ahead of time and refrigerate it until you are ready to bake it. Just make sure to add a few extra minutes to the cooking time since the dish will be starting from a colder temperature.

5. What kitchen tools do I need to make this recipe?

To make the Chipotle Chili Cornbread Bake, you will need a skillet, mixing bowl, baking dish, and measuring cups and spoons. Pampered Chef also offers a variety of kitchen tools that can make the cooking process even easier, such as the Mix 'N Chop for browning the ground beef and the Measure-All Cup for measuring out the cornbread mix and milk.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• thehaleykitchen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Tropicalburstqt2
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Jennie50