• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Chicken and Dumpling Recipe Needed

In summary, Stacy's family recipe for chicken and dumplings calls for flour, baking soda, salt, shortening, and milk to be mixed together before being dropped by the spoonful into boiling broth. Dumplings are then boiled for 10 minutes before being served.
tabnat80
Gold Member
Hey yall. I am craving some chicken and dumplings really bad. My mawmaw made the best ones ever. She passed away in March and I don't have her here to make them for me any more. :( They sure would be good tonight as it's gloomy and rainy looking outside. Anyways, I am looking for a recipe to possibly make in the crock pot. Any ideas?

I did have some really good one at the Old Mill up in Pigeon Forge, TN a few weeks ago. They were soooo good!

Do you like "flat" dumplings or "fluffy" ones?

Ann F said:
Do you like "flat" dumplings or "fluffy" ones?

That is a great question! So many people have different views on what a good dumpling is! I would love to help with a recipe! Tell me your ideal dumpling... I saw a good recipe in the PC's "It's Good For You" cookbook called turkey cobbler, and to me, that is what we always called dumplings. More like a biscuit! Some like those noodle balls (That's what I call them) where there isn't much fluff. Happy to help if I have some idea what Mawmaw's dumplin's where like. I always miss my gran on rainy days. Food is such a comfort, especially when you need to feel like she is next to you. It seems like they never left if you can smell the smells that where in the house when they cooked. "Don't cry. I'm here. See. Have a dumplin. " :(
Hope you feel better honey!

Not sure about Tabatha's definition of a dumpling...but I like the more flat "thick noodle" dumplings! Anyone have a family recipe for that?

KellyTheChef said:
Not sure about Tabatha's definition of a dumpling...but I like the more flat "thick noodle" dumplings! Anyone have a family recipe for that?

See, and for me - the flat ones are just that - thick noodles. Dumplings are fluffy! Mmmmmm, I still remember my mom's chicken and dumplings...or beef stew and dumplings. YUM! My mom also made homemade chicken and noodles - and they are similar to what others call chicken and dumplings.

Here is mine. Thanks to Southern Living cookbook.

1 (4 lb) broiler-fryer
2 quarts water
1 carrot, halved
1 stalk celery, halved
1 medium onion, quartered
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening

Combine 1st 7 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from broth, reserving broth in Dutch oven. Let chicken cool. Skin, bone, and coarsely chop chicken; set aside. Remove vegetables from broth, discard vegetables. Skim fat from broth, if desired. Reserve and set aside 2/3 cup broth. Return chopped chicken to broth in Dutch oven.

Combine flour, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add reserved 2/3 cup broth, stirring with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead lightly 30 seconds. Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness; cut dough into 2-inch squares. (If you prefer fluffy dumplings, use small scoop to make balls)

Bring broth in Dutch oven to a boil; drop dumplings, 1 at a time, into boiling broth. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.

Yield: 4 servings

YUMMMM!!!!!!!

Thanks Stacy!

Does cooking the dumplings in the broth help to thicken it, or is this recipe more like a soup with dumplings?

OK here is an old family recipe for Chicken and Dumplings Southern Style..
Chicken pieces (usually about 1 chicken equivalent)
salt and pepper
water

Wash chicken pieces and place in a deep pot. Add water to cover and then more. I usually add chicken bullion (2-3 cubes) to the water too to add flavor. Cover and boil until tender.
Remove chicken from the pot. Make sure your broth tastes good.

Dumplings:
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
tsp salt ,tsp pepper
1/3 cup crisco shortening
a little milk
In a bowl add flour, baking soda and salt. Mix. Cut in shortening until well mixed. Add a little milk (2 tbsp or so) and stir until a soft ball forms adding a drop or two of milk as needed. Not very sticky. Set aside in refrig to rest covered.
Begin to re-heat broth.. it should be boiling before you add any of the dumplings!

Get a paper grocery bag. Cut to open up and flatten on counter. Sprinkle to cover center surface of bag with flour. Take 1/2 of dumplings mix and put on the bag on top of flour. Dust with flour. Roll out very thin with a rollingpin dusting with flour as needed to keep it from being sticky. When very thin, cut in long strips and then cut strips into 2" x 4" strips or so. Drop individually into the boiling broth. Keep broth boiling. Roll out the second 1/2 of dumplings the same way and add to the broth adding any extra flour left. Cook about 15 minutes. The broth should turn whitish from the extra flour added. These are always so good and make a fairly good amount . I keep the chicken separate.. But you can de-bone and skin the chicken and add back to the pot. Killer!!!

Anyone interested in fluffy dumplings.. I have used bisquick mix and added a little poultry seasoning to the bisquick mix. Drop by teaspoonfuls into boiling broth, cover and cook about 15 minutes. Recipe should be on the box. Those are good and simple too.

Hey ladies. Sorry I didn't get to respond to your posts about the dumplins. DH ended up working 20 hours and ended up going and getting me and ds dinner at captian d's. :) I may try to make them next week though. This weekend is dh's bday so I know we'll be eatting lots of bbq. FYI, I like the fluffy dumplins. I will have to try these recipes yall have posted though, they all sound yummy. Thanks again.

KellyTheChef said:
Thanks Stacy!

Does cooking the dumplings in the broth help to thicken it, or is this recipe more like a soup with dumplings?

It is pretty thick. You can serve it on a plate. Similar to Cracker Barrel's chick & dump. if you have had them.

stacywhitlow said:
It is pretty thick. You can serve it on a plate. Similar to Cracker Barrel's chick & dump. if you have had them.

Thanks! I figured the flour from rolling them out would help to thicken it. Sounds GOOD! Now I will need a cold day to feel like I want "comfort food" and make this!

there used to be a quick version by Southern Living boil your chicken and whatever veggies and drop in cubes of flour tortilla they will "fluff" up

A quickie way - and this is from Southern Living a few years ago - cant locate the recipe but this is pretty much how you do it....boil the chicken just like in the recipes above and debone. Save the chicken broth - add more if needed or some water. Use Grands Biscuits for the dumplings! Cut them in quarters (our kitchen shears are awesome for this) and drop in the hot broth. You layer it - drop biscuit pieces, chicken, more biscuit pieces, more chicken. Let it come to a boil, then turn the heat down, cover and let simmer about 20 minutes. Its great if you are in a hurry and very very tasty.

Also grocery stores here in NC sell flat pastry in the freezer section (the section where frozen rolls and biscuits are). We call it "Chicken and Pastry" here in the part of NC where I am from. They are flat rectangular pieces of dough that you drop in. They are wonderful. We have "Ann's Pastry" and "Macs Pastry". I dont know if they are all over the country or not but they are plentiful here! I grew up on the flat style pastry.

I don't usually post, but I had to weigh in on this one. The best recipe I've ever learned is Chicken 'n Dumplin's. A friend of mine taught it to me when I was 16 and I've never strayed from it. I have tweeked it a little. Boil chicken, breast, whole, whatever works for you. If it has bone in, just pulled it off the bone when it's done cooking and throw it back in the pot. Add a couple of cans of cream of chicken,(this will thicken it up) bring to a boil. Then add a couple of cans of canned biscuits. You can roll them out and slice them or just pull them apart and throw 'em in. You will definetly know when it's done. Don't forget the salt and pepper. :)

Yummy! Sounds great. Thanks for sharing

Cindycooks said:
. We call it "Chicken and Pastry" here in the part of NC where I am from. They are flat rectangular pieces of dough that you drop in. They are wonderful. We have "Ann's Pastry" and "Macs Pastry". I dont know if they are all over the country or not but they are plentiful here! I grew up on the flat style pastry.

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!! A good cold, rainy day and a great PC Exex. cookware pot... a chicken and some Anne's pastry!!!!!! YUM>>>>>>> almost makes me want some cold rainy weather!

My favorite chicken to use is a nice plump Kosher 'soup' chicken, or roasting hen. They are older, more flavor has developed. Huge difference in taste.As for dumplings, never ate a dumpling I didn't like. Prefer to flavor mine with poultry seasoning, but enjoy flat, fluffy, big, small, white flour, cornmeal, whomp biscuits.Yup, can you tell chicken n' dumplings is a favorite ?

Related to Chicken and Dumpling Recipe Needed

1. What ingredients do I need for a chicken and dumpling recipe?

To make chicken and dumplings, you will need chicken, flour, baking powder, salt, butter, milk, chicken broth, and your choice of vegetables such as carrots, celery, and onions.

2. How do I make the dumplings for the chicken and dumpling recipe?

To make the dumplings, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Then, slowly add in milk until a dough forms. Roll out the dough and cut it into small pieces to drop into the chicken broth.

3. Can I use store-bought dumplings for this recipe?

Yes, you can use store-bought dumplings for convenience. However, homemade dumplings will give you a fresher and more flavorful taste.

4. How do I cook the chicken for the recipe?

To cook the chicken, you can either boil it in water or bake it in the oven. Once cooked, shred or cube the chicken and add it to the broth with the vegetables and dumplings.

5. Can I make this recipe in a slow cooker?

Yes, you can make this recipe in a slow cooker. Simply add all the ingredients (except the dumplings) to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. 30 minutes before serving, add in the dumplings and cook until they are fully cooked.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pckrissy
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • akggirl
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • wadesgirl