• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting Swirled Checkerboard Cake: Tips from Kristi

In summary, the guest who made the checkerboard cake says that every time she makes it, it comes out swirled. It might be because she is not spraying the dividers with Pam before filling them with batter, or it might be because she is not cleaning the dividers between uses. It takes two boxes of mix to make this cake, and it is easier to fill the divider rings with EAD than with scoops.
KRISTI'SCOOKING
have a guest who purchased and nmade the checkboard cake but says everytime she makes it it comes out swirled. Does anyone know why or have any tipe? kristi

I'm just interested in what the checkboard cake is. I don't think I've ever seen it.

Spray the dividers with Pam. CLEAN them in between uses. No, that's not a smart comment! Fill one pan, lift STRAIGHT out. Clean divider and re-spray with Pam. Fill next pan...and so on.

Our set of 3 cake pans comes with a plastic insert. If you fill the wells with different colors (Example one cake with colors White-Pink-White...and the other two with colors Pink-White-Pink. Then, stack them alternately and when you cut into it...voila! Checkerboard pattern!)

You can also do all three cakes the same color pattern and have a Candy Corn looking slice....white in center...yellow...orange...

HTH

It takes two boxes of mix to make this cake. If she wants to have two flavors (chocolate and yellow), she needs to prepare both mixes in the same way.

So, choose one and use the amount of oil, water and eggs from that box in both mixes. This helps keep the batter of a relatively similar consistency so it's not as likely to run together.

As Kelly said, you must spray the inserts before using and clean in-between assembling each layer. It is tedious (so I rarely make one) but it turns out really neat.

The candycorn cake is COOL!

Another key thing to remember is to lift the divider straight up when pulling it out of the batter. If you bring it up at an angle, the batters will mix, blurring the line between them.

Also, DON'T use pam with flour! The rings will separate and the cake will fall apart. Jut use regular Pam.

finley1991 said:
Also, DON'T use pam with flour! The rings will separate and the cake will fall apart. Jut use regular Pam.

Colleen~

You say this with such authority....care to explain?!?! LOL

:angel:

tell her to add 1/4 cup of flour to each mix and if she is tinting the batter to use Wilton color paste (in a small jar at craft stores or Walmart in the cake decorating aisle)
I only use Duncan Hines and make these all the time and never had a problem.

Thank you everyone! Kristi

KellyTheChef said:
Colleen~

You say this with such authority....care to explain?!?! LOL

:angel:

hee hee... been there done, that!!! Actually I heard that at conference when they announced the set and when I went to make the cake... I only had pam with flour! Typical me... "Oh, I'm SURE it will work!!!!" Yup... when the cakes came out of the pan, I had 9 rings of cake! Would have been great had I been making a cake to look like saturn or an atom!!!!! :)

I also use 2 EAD to fill the rings so much easier than the scoops

Yes.. using the scoops makes such a mess! I pour my batter into big plastic bags and clip with a twixit, then clip the corner and I'm good to go!

1. How do I prevent my checkerboard cake from coming out swirled?

To prevent your checkerboard cake from coming out swirled, make sure to properly grease and flour your cake pans before adding the batter. Also, be sure to gently tap the pans on the counter to release any air bubbles before baking.

2. Why does my cake batter spread and mix together while baking?

This can happen if the cake batter is too thin or if the cake pans are not properly greased. To avoid this issue, make sure to follow the recipe measurements and evenly spread the batter in the greased pans.

3. How do I get the checkerboard design to show up clearly in my cake?

To get a clear checkerboard design, make sure to evenly distribute the batter in each pan and use a toothpick or skewer to gently swirl the batters together. Also, make sure to follow the recommended baking time and temperature for your specific recipe.

4. Can I use different flavors for each section of the checkerboard cake?

Yes, you can use different flavors for each section of the checkerboard cake. Just make sure to carefully measure and evenly distribute the different flavored batters in each pan before baking.

5. How do I know when my checkerboard cake is fully baked?

You can test if your checkerboard cake is fully baked by inserting a toothpick or cake tester in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, then the cake is done. Also, the sides of the cake should be pulling away from the pan and the top should be springy to the touch.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefpenny99
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefpenny99
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • Humble Beginnings
  • Products and Tips
Replies