1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Question about old checkerboard cake pan set

1. chefpenny99

chefpenny99 Member Gold Member

I want to make a checkerboard cake to take to a dinner next weekend and I was thinking that since it is July a red, white, & blue cake would be cool. Here is my question. The directions only tell you how to do a two color cake (for example a red & white checkerboard). Does anyone know how to make it three colors?

How much batter would I need for each color (red & blue) & in what order would I pour them in the pans? TIA!

Jul 10, 2009
  2. pcsharon1

pcsharon1 Veteran Member Gold Member

If I am making a cake with three cake pans then I use two boxes of cake mix. So I would just use white cake mix and food coloring.

As for putting it in the pan I would just make sure they were all different - one red, white and blue, one white, blue and red and one blue, white and red so that the colors didn't match sitting on top of each other.

Jul 10, 2009
  3. chefpenny99

I know that I would need two mixes. Would you just divide the second one and make half red and half blue?

Jul 10, 2009
  4. Jennie4PC

Jennie4PC Legacy Member

I would divide the 2 mixes in 3.

Jul 10, 2009
  5. pcsharon1

pcsharon1 Veteran Member Gold Member

Ditto. I would mix them seperately but then combine them and divide into three even bowls. Then color as needed.

Jul 10, 2009
  6. chef greta

chef greta Member Gold Member

just make sure you put a different color in a different ring in each pan.

Jul 10, 2009
  7. chefpenny99

Thanks for the help everyone.

Jul 10, 2009
  8. redsoxgirl

redsoxgirl Veteran Member

I'd love to see a picture of the final result!

Jul 11, 2009
  9. chefpenny99

I actually changed my mind and I'm going to make the Black Forrest Trifle instead. If I ever get brave enough to try the cake I'll be sure to take pictures!

Jul 12, 2009
Have something to add?