• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling to Stack Tortes? Tips for Older Pans Needed!

In summary, the torte pans that are available now (as of September 2018) are not as good as the torte pans that were available in the past. The wells on the
Humble Beginnings
Ok I've tried a few times but can't get it right. I have the older torte pans, silver not non-stick. Everytime I make a torte it falls apart. I can't figure out how to stack them without it all falling apart. Are the wells on the new ones better? The torte I just made doesn't look so pretty and I'm thinking of not taking it to work tomorrow. I cool the cakes but it doesn't matter. Does anyone have any tips?

What did you use on the pan before you poured the batter in? Have you tried using Bakers Joy? That stuff works really well for me on things. Or how about making a parchment circle for the bottom? I love our nonstick ones, so if you love making tortes, you might want to get a set at some point. :)

I did both the bakers joy and the parchment paper, it came out fine but the cake fell apart when I tried to put one on top of the other and was putting in the filling.

Oh darn! That's too bad. :( Did you have them on cooling racks first? I find that they stick slightly to the cooling rack. So what I do is use the large spreader or a large turner to kind of go under the cake first to get it unstuck from the rack. Then I try to slide it on the rack making sure it's all the way to the edge. I lift the rack and hover it right over the plate that I'm putting it on. Then I use the largest turner I have to go under it and kind of scoot and slide it off right on top of the plate/first layer.I don't know if I explained it well. But that's how I do it, because it really can be tricky. I've had it split a couple times before trying this method. Now I always get it on in one piece. I hope that helps! :)

babywings76 said:
Oh darn! That's too bad. :( Did you have them on cooling racks first? I find that they stick slightly to the cooling rack. So what I do is use the large spreader or a large turner to kind of go under the cake first to get it unstuck from the rack. Then I try to slide it on the rack making sure it's all the way to the edge. I lift the rack and hover it right over the plate that I'm putting it on. Then I use the largest turner I have to go under it and kind of scoot and slide it off right on top of the plate/first layer.

I don't know if I explained it well. But that's how I do it, because it really can be tricky. I've had it split a couple times before trying this method. Now I always get it on in one piece. I hope that helps! :)

To avoid the cake sticking to the cooling rack, put parchment paper on the cooling rack, then transfer the cake from the pan to the rack (bottom is up - that also flattens the cake top). When cooled, put another cooling rack over the first and invert, then peel off the paper. Now your cake will have the bottom up so put the serving plate over it and invert. For the second layer you'll need to have a wide turner or two (I just those cake turners - what were they called? - we used to sell) to support the layer and put it over the first.

With a torte pan that doesn't have a removable bottom I would do the same but invert the cake right away with parchment under it too so that the center doesn't fall since it's got the indentation in it. Once cooled, slide a bread knife under the cake to loosen the parchment and transfer as above to serving plate.

Something that I have learned in my cake-decorating experience is that super-moist or moist cake mixes do not work well for anything that requires some structure, such as the tortes. Although delicious, they fall apart too easily, and definitely are not conducive to carving if you're trying to shape a cake. I learned that the hard way- with a 3 foot tall cookie monster!

1. How can I prevent my tortes from sticking to my older pans?

One way to prevent sticking is to generously grease the pans with shortening or cooking spray before adding the batter. You can also line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper to help with easy removal.

2. My tortes always come out uneven and lopsided. What can I do to fix this?

Make sure to evenly distribute the batter in each pan before baking. You can also try rotating the pans halfway through baking to ensure even baking and avoiding any hot spots in the oven.

3. How do I know when my tortes are done baking?

Use a toothpick or cake tester to insert into the middle of the torte. If it comes out clean, the torte is done. You can also gently press on the top of the torte, it should spring back when done.

4. My tortes always come out dry and overbaked. Any suggestions?

Try lowering the oven temperature and baking for a longer period of time. You can also try using a water bath by placing the pans in a larger pan with water to keep the tortes moist while baking.

5. Any tips for easily stacking tortes without them falling apart?

Wait for the tortes to fully cool before stacking them. You can also use a thin layer of frosting or filling between each layer to help them stick together. For added stability, insert wooden or plastic dowels in the center of the torte before stacking the layers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefann
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • ivykeep
  • Products and Tips
Replies