• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ice Cream Cake Using Torte Pans

In summary, Ann attempted to make an ice cream cake using the torte pans, but 95% of the ice cream melted into the bottom layer of cake. The cake tasted OK, but it wasn't what she wanted. She suggests freezing the cake layers first, then adding the ice cream.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
Hi all! My DSS wanted an ice cream cake that had ice cream AND cake. So, I tried to make one using the torte pans. I softened the ice cream so I could make it level, and put enough in that it should have been filled in the center. Then I popped it into my big chest freezer downstairs. I was going to let it get frozen, then "frost" it with cool whip. It didn't happen like I'd planned. 95% of the ice cream melted into the bottom layer of cake. It tasted OK, but it wasn't what I wanted. I wanted a layer of cake, layer of ice cream, layer of cake.

Has anyone done this successfully? How did you do it?

hmmmmmWhat if you froze the cake layers before adding the ice cream? That way they would already be cold and hard enough to keep the ice cream from just melting and soaking in. Since you're going to freeze the whole thing anyway, I don't guess it would hurt the cake.

You could pre-freeze an ice cream "puck", then place it, already hardened, onto frozen cake. Then freeze the whole thing. If everything is frozen solid already, it should be OK.

Ann~

That's what I was thinking. What if I layered plastic wrap over the empty torte pan, scooped the softened ice cream into there and then allowed that to freeze. Then, pop it out of the pan and onto the cake.

BTW- it tasted great...just like a super moist chocolate cake!

I would make a regular cake in the torte pans, then fill/assemble with slightly softened ice cream, and pop it back into the freezer.

This is just a theory, though....I will try it when I have time and a cake mix!

kspry said:
I would make a regular cake in the torte pans, then fill/assemble with slightly softened ice cream, and pop it back into the freezer.

This is just a theory, though....I will try it when I have time and a cake mix!
That is actually what I did....it must not have hardened back up quickly enough, and most of the ice cream melted into the bottom cake layer.

OK, I now I get it!

I think the plastic wrap might make funny dents in the ice cream.

Ann's idea of a puck, and freezing the cake layers between parchment might work better.

(edit- or put the ice cream into the torte pan after spraying with Pam, then dip the bottom of bowl in warm water for a moment, so it will release. Again, only a theory. I might try it tomorrow, sounds fun!)

Last edited:
it works better if you freeze the ice cream in a cake pan (lined of course) and then put it between the cake layers. I've done this with a regular 13x9 pan. Bake the cake as usual. freeze the ice cream in what ever shape your pan is. Its easier to cut the cake in half when frozen, then put the ice cream between the cakes and frost... Makes a great hot fudge sundae cake.

About 5 years ago we had ice cream cakes as a show theme. We did them in the springform pan. The crust was crushed cookies. I don't know if you can bake a cake in the springform pan. You're probably on a better track with using the torte pans and trying to freeze the cake. If you scoop the ice cream in, maybe don't do it all at once. Fill part way, freeze, then fill the rest.

Let us know the results. This sounds good! If you want to jazz it up, you can add a fudge topping layer or crushed cookies, going more Cold Stone or Carvel. Mmmm

I have much more luck with the Cheesecake pan.

I make a ice cream fudge torte that uses crushed oreo cookies on the bottom, followed by a layer of fudge which acts like a barrier. I then scoop the softened coffee or vanilla ice cream over this and then freeze. Comes out perfect. Try adding a layer of fudge on top of the cake layer and then top with the ice cream.

1. Can I use any type of cake mix for the ice cream cake?

Yes, you can use any type of cake mix for the ice cream cake. However, we recommend using a light-colored cake mix, as it will allow the colorful layers of ice cream to show through better.

2. How do I prevent the ice cream from melting while assembling the cake?

To prevent the ice cream from melting, it is important to keep the torte pans in the freezer until ready to use. Also, work quickly when assembling the cake and place it back in the freezer as soon as possible.

3. Can I make an ice cream cake using regular cake pans?

No, torte pans are specifically designed for making ice cream cakes. They have a removable bottom, which makes it easier to remove the cake once it is assembled, and they are deeper than regular cake pans to accommodate the layers of ice cream.

4. How do I remove the cake from the torte pan without it falling apart?

To remove the cake from the torte pan, run a sharp knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake. Then, place a plate or cake stand on top of the pan and quickly flip it over. Gently tap the bottom of the pan to release the cake.

5. Can I decorate the ice cream cake with frosting?

Yes, you can decorate the ice cream cake with frosting. However, it is best to use whipped cream or whipped topping instead of frosting, as it will hold its shape better and not melt as quickly on the frozen cake.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies