• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why won't my microwave cakes come out cooked evenly in my fluted stone?

In summary, the person is having trouble with their microwave cakes turning out. They have tried a few different recipes and they are not working. They are also worried about their show, because they need to show a microwave dessert in stoneware. They have tried different mixes, pans, and cooking times, but they are still having trouble. They have also tried greasing and flouring the pan, but this has not worked.
kam
Staff member
OK, I don't know what's wrong. I keep trying to make the microwave cakes in the fluted stone - but they are not turning out!

When I flip it out, half (one side) of the cake on top is almost raw! The rest of the cake is done!

I have tried the cake mix/pie filling/egg recipe and now tonight I tried the cake mix/choc chips/sour cream/eggs recipe. Same thing happened. I have a turntable in my microwave. I can almost always follow standard microwave times - so my microwave isn't low-ppowered.

I am cooking it longer than seems right - the cakes is pulling from the sides - and I even zapped it longer.

I am nervous because I need to show a microwave dessert in stoneware on Friday. My microwave cakes turn out just fine in the rice cooker.

Any ideas???

Have you tried any of the DCB desserts in the microwave?? Other people on here seem very satisfied with those. Only cakes in the micro I have done are with the rice cooker.

My director told me that the pans don't season evenly. (???) I spray mine with PAM with flour (for baking) every time I use it. I have only done the pumpkin cake but it came out of the pan fine.

I make these A LOT and I also use the Pam for baking. Are you sure you are using the correct amount of ingredients? One cake mix, 3 eggs, 2 cups sour cream or pie filling. Mine generally take 12 minutes. It will still look moist on the top when you turn it out, but should be solid and cooked.
I get big "Wows" at my shows with this super easy cake, I hope you can make it work.

You're probably not cooking it long enough. On some smaller microwaves (lower wattage) it takes as long as 20 minutes. Also, if there is not a reliable carousel, then turn it religiously every 3 minutes [I just punch 3:33] and you'll have good results.Ditto on the Pam for baking. God Bless!-praying for Paige and her family-

I do these ALLLLLLLLL the time at my shows and here at home. Here's the biggest mistake I see (and hear about) people making and I don't know if you're "guilty" :) of this or not. Most microwaves now adays cook them pretty quickly in the fluted stone (I've not tried it in anything else), so 8 1/2 - 10 minutes is usually good. The one mistake is that people don't leave it in the fluted pan long enough after it's done cooking. I recommend leaving it for at LEAST 30 minutes. When I do these at my shows, I cook it while I'm prepping and just leave it sit on the counter during the whole demo. It smells great, and then I have everyone feel the bottom of it to show how stones retain their heat and mention that this was cooked about 1 1/2 hours ago (how ever long it's been) and then I flip it out. It has always been perfect. I follow the directions on the back of the box of cake mix. Personally, Betty Crocker works the best for my microwave cakes. Oh, and I NEVER use Pam - I personally prefer Baker's Joy. It has the flour in it like Pam with flour, but to me, it works better. And now that I've used that pan so many times, I don't even spray it any more. Hope this helps!!!!

Do you test for doneness first? Like stick a knife or bamboo skewer (or if your lucky to still have a PC cake tester around). This will help with checking for doneness.

Do leave it for 2-5 minutes before you flip. Particularly if you put chocolate chips in it, it takes a while for the heat to evenly dissipate. It is done when it starts to pull away from the sides - for at least halfway around.-praying for Paige and her family-

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I really think I did the cake "right".

I used Baker's Joy. Would I be better off actually greasing and flouring the pan? I am not sure if this would help with baking - just sticking.

The rest of the cake was done - and I mean it was bordering on too done. I kept it in for 12-1/2 minutes. The cake was pulling away form the sides - and I even zapped it longer.

It was only half of the bottom (top when flipped) that wasn't cooked. It wasn't even close. I ended up scraping the top off - it was like pudding.

I am wondering now if the stone isn't "even thickeness" causing uneven cooking. Is this even possible?

I just think it's weird since it happened on 2 different recipes in the fluted pan. And my micro cakes in the Rice cooker turn out perfectly.

Oh, and I let it sit in the pan 15-20 minutes. I don't think it would have cooked any further in the pan since the warm to touch at that point.

I follow the directions on the back of the box of cake mix. Personally, Betty Crocker works the best for my microwave cakes.

I had used Duncan Hines. I have a box of Betty Crocker - maybe I'll give it another shot tonight. And I'll try the recipe from the box.

Thanks!

In my old microwave, the rice cooker cakes cooked fine, but the fluted pan cakes were exactly like you are describing, raw on half and then done on the other half -- what I discovered was with the cake and the fluted stone, it was too heavy for my turntable to correctly turn -- so you need to manually turn the cake - what I did was actually take out the glass turn table and just put my pan on the bottom of the microwave and then rotate a 1/4 turn every 3 min and they were much better.

It is also very important to let them stand for the 10 min in the microwave after cooking them I think.

almondfarm said:
In my old microwave, the rice cooker cakes cooked fine, but the fluted pan cakes were exactly like you are describing, raw on half and then done on the other half -- what I discovered was with the cake and the fluted stone, it was too heavy for my turntable to correctly turn -- so you need to manually turn the cake - what I did was actually take out the glass turn table and just put my pan on the bottom of the microwave and then rotate a 1/4 turn every 3 min and they were much better.

It is also very important to let them stand for the 10 min in the microwave after cooking them I think.

Excellent! Thanks! I can't wait to try again!

Another thing is to reduce your sour cream to the 16oz. container (1 2/3 cups) rather than the full 2 cups--if you're doing the 3-2-1 recipe. But yes - I've had the same thing happen in wimpier (sorry) turntable microwaves. Keep trying -- it is SO sensational for guests and hosts to see this.

FYI I did one in December, and it was half "molten" and they went ooooooh because it was a "molten lava cake". Just change gears... who can resist melty warm chocolate? God Bless you!

-praying for Paige and her family-

I have done these 5 times. Only one of the times did it not quite cook all the way on one side. I just scraped it off and add some extra whipcream and it looked fine and tasted great. It just showed the guests how to fix a not perfect situation.

I don't use any of the sprays on my stoneware. I have heard that it will sometimes leave a sticky residue on the stones (as well as on metal). I always use olive oil and spread it with the silicone basting brush. Everything has always released just fine.

fikibiff said:
I have done these 5 times. Only one of the times did it not quite cook all the way on one side. I just scraped it off and add some extra whipcream and it looked fine and tasted great. It just showed the guests how to fix a not perfect situation.

I don't use any of the sprays on my stoneware. I have heard that it will sometimes leave a sticky residue on the stones (as well as on metal). I always use olive oil and spread it with the silicone basting brush. Everything has always released just fine.

I agree with you. I use our kitchen spritzer and rub it down with a paper towel.

I am not sure what recipe you are using but. I take a half container of choc frosting and spread it all over the inside of the fluted pan( as you would if you were to grease the pan, then I mix the cake mix in the batter bowl as directed on box then into the fluted pan right on top the frosting then into the micro for 12 min. when done I let it sit for about 5 or 10 min then flip onto a plate and WOW no stick the frosting melts and make a fudgy sauce and works for me but like I said not too sure want recipe you are using. Let me know if this helps takes.

Oh sorry forgot to tell you I DO NOT Spray my pan with anything.

scottcooks said:
... But yes - I've had the same thing happen in wimpier (sorry) turntable microwaves. Keep trying -- it is SO sensational for guests and hosts to see this...

The turnatable was turning when I put it in- but the pan really was pretty heavy and I did not watch it - so I agree that this was the problem (the turntable was squeaking a little too!!).

I will just need to take the turntable out and manually turn it!

K_Jurich said:
I am not sure what recipe you are using but. I take a half container of choc frosting and spread it all over the inside of the fluted pan( as you would if you were to grease the pan, then I mix the cake mix in the batter bowl as directed on box then into the fluted pan right on top the frosting then into the micro for 12 min. when done I let it sit for about 5 or 10 min then flip onto a plate and WOW no stick the frosting melts and make a fudgy sauce and works for me but like I said not too sure want recipe you are using. Let me know if this helps takes.

I was using the 1-2-3 Dump cake recipe (1 cup chips, 2 cups Sour cream, 3 eggs, 1 box mix) But yours sounds awesome!

I spray mine only because it's not seasoned at all, only been in the microwave.

when i do micro cakes in the fluted stone, i mix cake according to directions, pour into SPRAYED stone and dollop 2/3 of a can of frosting into the batter. Micro for 14 minutes, cool a little bit and turn out onto platter. melt the leftover frosting for about 10 seconds (watch closely b/c it'll separate if you go to long) and pour over the top. I do this mostly with lemon, but have done strawberry, chocolate, and carrot too. I've never done one with the sour cream and pie filling. I've also always made sure the hostess had a carousel in the micro when suggesting it.

I use the siilicone brush to brush the sides of the fluted pan with oil. I then use a very easy 1, 2, 3 recipe. 1 chocolate cake mix, 1 diet coke (other variations can be used, but Pepsi does not work!) and 1/2 a can of frosting. Mix the mix and diet coke together and pour into pan. Then drop by spoonfuls, 1/2 can of frosting in mix. Do not stir. Then micorwave for about 10 minutes. I agree to leave it set for a few minutes before flipping it out. This doesn't exactly address how to get it done, But it is a differnt recipe for you to use! Good luck!

What is a microwave cake?

A microwave cake is a cake that is made using a microwave instead of a traditional oven. It typically takes less time to make and requires fewer ingredients.

Why am I having trouble making a microwave cake?

There could be several reasons for this. It is important to use the correct size and type of microwave-safe dish, follow the recipe closely, and ensure that your microwave is working properly.

Can I use any type of cake mix for a microwave cake?

Yes, you can use any type of cake mix for a microwave cake. However, some may work better than others. It is important to follow the instructions on the cake mix box and adjust the cooking time accordingly.

How do I prevent my cake from becoming dry or overcooked in the microwave?

To prevent your microwave cake from becoming dry or overcooked, make sure to use the correct power level and cooking time according to the recipe. You can also cover the dish with a damp paper towel to trap moisture and prevent overcooking.

Can I add additional ingredients to my microwave cake?

Yes, you can add additional ingredients to your microwave cake, such as chocolate chips, nuts, or fruit. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly and evenly distribute the ingredients throughout the batter.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• IAmChefJ
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • stefani2
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ajnewchef