• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Burnt Cake Disaster: Anyone Else Ever Experienced This?

In summary, the user is experiencing difficulty with a microwave cake that turned out burnt on one side. They have made this type of cake before without issue and are now worried about trying a new recipe. Other users mention potential solutions such as using a turntable, adjusting the power, and using a larger microwave. One user shares a similar experience with a different type of cake. Overall, the issue seems to be related to the microwave and its settings rather than the recipe itself.
IAmChefJ
I can't for the life of me figure out what happened to my cake tonight!

I made one of those easy cakes... the apple pie filling / cake mix / eggs... which I've made several times... one of several I've made in my microwave... never had any problems.

Tonight I was about 8 minutes in and I started smelling something funny. Not in a good way. I checked it, and my cake was burnt on one side! Like burnt popcorn burnt!

I cut that side out and finished cooking it to see if the rest of it did anything weird. It didn't burn but it didn't cook right either.

I'm so bummed, I was going to take it into work tomorrow. Now I'm really scared to make the Chocolate Velvet cake I was planning to make tomorrow night!

Anyone else ever burnt a microwave cake?

All I can think of is:
Do you have a turntable?

Do you maybe need to adjust the power to medium power or 50% and do it that way?

Also what did you make it in fluted stone or rice cooker?

I have never had that happen before. :confused:
Debbie :D

I was going to ask the same question about the turntable. Sounds like it didn't rotate.

I do have a turntable.

I made the chocolate velvet cake tonight - same stone, same microwave, and everything came out fine.

:shrug: Apparenly I'm the first person in PC history to have burnt a microwave cake. LMAO -- at least I didn't burn boiled water!

Don't feel too bad, I've actually burned water before! No joke the bottom of the pan melted to the burner.

Interesting. I've made the Chocolate Velvet Cake several times this season and the only time I had problems was with a host who's microwave was too small. It wouldn't work with the turn table so I kept rotating the pan. Well, one side ended up under cooked and basically slide down the side of the cake when I took the pan off. Right across from it was rock hard! There was still some cake that was edible and luckily it was a small crowd.

Never had a problem with microwaving a cake but I agree with others that it all depends on the turntable, wattage and size of microwave. The bigger the micro the better the results will be.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about your burnt cake disaster! I know how frustrating it can be when something doesn't turn out as expected, especially when you've had success with the same recipe before. It sounds like there may have been an issue with the temperature or positioning of your cake in the microwave. I would suggest checking your microwave's manual to see if there are any specific instructions for baking cakes, and also make sure to use a microwave-safe dish. As for your Chocolate Velvet cake, I would recommend trying it in the oven instead, just to be safe. I hope your next baking experience goes much smoother!

1. Can a burnt cake be salvaged?

Yes, there are a few ways to salvage a burnt cake. One method is to carefully scrape off the burnt parts and cover the cake with a layer of frosting. Another option is to cut off the burnt edges and crumble the remaining cake to use as a topping for ice cream or yogurt.

2. How can I prevent my cake from burning?

To prevent a burnt cake, make sure to follow the recommended baking time and temperature in the recipe. You can also use an oven thermometer to ensure the oven is at the correct temperature. Additionally, placing a sheet of parchment paper or a baking strip around the cake pan can help distribute heat evenly and prevent burning.

3. Why did my cake burn on the outside but still be raw on the inside?

This could be due to an unevenly heated oven or an incorrect oven temperature. It could also be because the cake was placed too close to the top or bottom of the oven. To avoid this, make sure to preheat the oven properly and place the cake in the center of the oven for even baking.

4. Can I use a burnt cake for anything else?

Absolutely! Burnt cake can be used in many creative ways, such as making cake pops, using it as a base for trifle, or crumbling it to use as a crust for cheesecake. Don't let a burnt cake go to waste!

5. How can I remove burnt cake from a pan?

If the burnt cake is stuck to the pan, fill the pan with warm water and let it soak for a few minutes. This will loosen the cake and make it easier to remove. You can also use a plastic spatula or a non-abrasive scrubber to gently scrape off the burnt parts. Avoid using metal utensils, as they can damage the pan's surface.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies
Views
chefcharity
  • Tropicalburstqt2
  • Products and Tips
Replies