• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Caution!!! Don't Order Catalogs!!!!

In summary, CN is coming out with new catalogs and PC is releasing new product inserts that we need to copy and put in our catalogs. This is money that we should not have to spend and it is a pain to do.
Lifeat50
I can't believe it. I order 100 new catalogs last week. I really hesitated buying 100 but if I need more than 50 it is a waste of money only ordering 25 at a time. I thought if I order too many I can always sell a pack to one of my clutermates!!

Well yesterday I read the May CN and PC is coming out with new catalogs May 17!! :( I would have borrowed from my clustermates to get me through and then ordered the new catalogs! Now I will have to incur more cost (although not much) to get the new product inserts to put in my catalogs.

So this is a warning!!!

They are making inserts with the new product for us to add to our catalogs. But I'm right there with you. I ordered 100 at the start of the season. I usually don't do that, but thought I would this time. Now I'm really wishing I hadn't. :(

And now I'm thinking "No wonder they told me to just keep those extra 175 mini's that they sent me by mistake." :rolleyes:

ChefBeckyD said:
And now I'm thinking "No wonder they told me to just keep those extra 175 mini's that they sent me by mistake." :rolleyes:

Yeah, I would normally think that was a mistake. Obviously not.

We are going through tough times right now and I am suprised that they did this. Not many of us have money we can "throw away" right now.

I have only been a consultant for 2-1/2 years and have never gone through a product being released mid-way through a selling season. In the past, I did not HAVE to order mid season cattys (most of the time I did not need them) as there were NO differences product-wise.

So, even if you don't order the new catty's and use the old ones, you still have to either use up your toner or pay to print the new product insert.

And, while some may think it is not a big deal and not much money...in my opinion, it is money that we should not have to spend.

In order to make this business work for me, I have been trying to keep things as SIMPLE as possible (especially time constraints). So, now I have to make an extra stop at Office Max, make the copies and then stuff my catty's with the inserts. This is all time that could be better spent on something else.

JMO.

kam said:
We are going through tough times right now and I am suprised that they did this. Not many of us have money we can "throw away" right now.

I have only been a consultant for 2-1/2 years and have never gone through a product being released mid-way through a selling season. In the past, I did not HAVE to order mid season cattys (most of the time I did not need them) as there were NO differences product-wise.

So, even if you don't order the new catty's and use the old ones, you still have to either use up your toner or pay to print the new product insert.

And, while some may think it is not a big deal and not much money...in my opinion, it is money that we should not have to spend.

In order to make this business work for me, I have been trying to keep things as SIMPLE as possible (especially time constraints). So, now I have to make an extra stop at Office Max, make the copies and then stuff my catty's with the inserts. This is all time that could be better spent on something else.

JMO.

You could just print a copy or two and put them inside a plastic sleeve and send them around at your parties after you discuss it.:chef:

You know what I think I might do...get one nice copy and have it in one of those clear plastic stands or put it in a page protector and then just take a minute at the show to point it out. But for all those catalogs to hand out or put in host packets, I'll probably stick in the insert. I do not want to buy 100 inserts, that's for sure!ETA: :D Gail and I are on the same wavelength and posted at the same time. :D

gailz2 said:
You could just print a copy or two and put them inside a plastic sleeve and send them around at your parties after you discuss it.:chef:

But, I would need to have the inserts for host packets. It is just a pain. Any which way.

Edit: Amanda, just read your post. We are thinking alike about the host packets!

The old mid-season catalogs didn't ever have any new products in them, just featured a different cover and recipes. I never ordered mid-season ones. They are selling an insert you can use really cheap on a supply order. That is what I plan on doing.

wadesgirl said:
The old mid-season catalogs didn't ever have any new products in them, just featured a different cover and recipes. I never ordered mid-season ones. They are selling an insert you can use really cheap on a supply order. That is what I plan on doing.

I have not had a chance to "really read" through the CN, yet. I was thinking that the insert was only available for us to download and print. I did not realize it would be available on supply. Thanks for the info.

The only thing changing with the catalog is the addition of the new product. Yes, it'll be on the cover, and there will be more pictures of it, but I don't think it'll be too big of a deal not to have those catalogs available.

And yes, the insert is available on supply, KA91 $1.50 for 25.

Ah, $1.50 for 25, not too bad. That's a lot easier than printing them off.

I JUST ordered 100 on April 29th!!!! :cry
Oh well I gues I have ALOT of stapling!!!!! :cry:

babywings76 said:
Ah, $1.50 for 25, not too bad. That's a lot easier than printing them off.

And cheaper too..if you think about the ink that you would have to use..as long as you have other stuff to order as well.

KA91 is not showing up on mine....:cry:

Ginger428 said:
KA91 is not showing up on mine....:cry:

The new things aren't available until May 17th.

I'm swapping catalogs with my Director and others on the team. I need catalogs ASAP but will wait to order until May 17. I'll get their extra current catalogs and replace them later in May with the new catalogs, plus order the inserts and minis. Check around in your area and you can probably do a similar swap.

I just wish we had the inserts at least, if not the new catalog, for my June host packets. I'll start giving out June packets at my shows this week.

Arggh, I called HO a couple of weeks ago to ask about this very thing, and was told no, they were not redoing the catalog!! I figured at the time they would provide an insert. I did see something about the new cattys, but thought it was just minis, so I placed an order for 100 of the regular (and 100 minis) YESTERDAY!! Oh well, I didn't really have a choice, both my team mate and I are completely out, so we're splitting these. Paying $3.50 or so for the inserts once they're available is better than trying to figure how to have all these shows with no catalogs!

Becca_in_MD said:
I'm swapping catalogs with my Director and others on the team. I need catalogs ASAP but will wait to order until May 17. I'll get their extra current catalogs and replace them later in May with the new catalogs, plus order the inserts and minis. Check around in your area and you can probably do a similar swap.

I just wish we had the inserts at least, if not the new catalog, for my June host packets. I'll start giving out June packets at my shows this week.

I've already started giving out June packets! What I've decided to do is to print page 7 of the CN, and add a little label with the price for it...and include 2 copies in each host packet. I'm also going to start immediately showing that page at my shows, to generate interest in booking in June!

yeah, I just ordered 100 as well. I hated when they had mid-season products in the past and I'm annoyed that they're doing it again.

I'm with the gals who will just print off one nice copy and stick in a sleeve to take to shows- will probably add a blurb to my mini catalog invites about visiting my website to see a "cool" new exclusive product- this will entice them to visit the website for more online sales- hotdog! :)
I just ordered 300 catties this morning-hadn't read cs but no worries, I'll just hype it up in host coaching and at my shows- gives me another excuse to talk! :)

I think we need to email HO about having the catalog inserts available now. Like Becky said, I'm starting to work on June so it would be nice to have them now instead of waiting.

wadesgirl said:
I think we need to email HO about having the catalog inserts available now. Like Becky said, I'm starting to work on June so it would be nice to have them now instead of waiting.

It would be nice. I've already handed out 3 June host packets at shows, and got an email this morning for a 4th booking, plus 2 more I have to call. ALL of my shows in June have to be before the 18th, because we are gone the rest of the month after that.
I have a full May schedule, and I don't have time to be re-doing all my host packets that I hand out.

I have sent out an all call to my clustermates to let them know of this change. I will use my catalogs regardless but I was hoping to let you all know about the Summer 2010 catalog so you could wait for the new issue. I have been in the business just one year. I had no idea that they have mid-season catalogs! Just another new thing learned today!!! :)

Lifeat50 said:
I have sent out an all call to my clustermates to let them know of this change. I will use my catalogs regardless but I was hoping to let you all know about the Summer 2010 catalog so you could wait for the new issue. I have been in the business just one year. I had no idea that they have mid-season catalogs! Just another new thing learned today!!! :)

We haven't had them for the last few seasons, but we used to have them. We also used to have mid-season products...but haven't had those for the last couple of years either. They were always a pain...and I would feel that way about this one if I didn't love it so much, and know that my customers were going to go crazy for it too!

Lifeat50 said:

They don't usually. They did I think the first year I joined (this is my 2nd year)- around the Holidays...but not in the summer. That's why so many were thrown.

I'm annoyed that they didn't let us know in advance!! It seems lately they want to keep everything a secret till the last second!! :(

Has anyone designed a mini-cat insert with the new product on it? I am stuffing June invites this week and would love to have it in there.

I also have plenty of catalogs still, so I will be using the inserts. Fortunately (or actually very unfortunately) I have no shows on the calendar right now, so I don't have to deal with the timing issue :(.

This is really frustrating!! I always order 100 and hardly ever use them all but I've always been able to get rid of them towards the end of the season. Financially I flat can't afford this anymore!! Last week was my last week of unemployment and I'm still going thru the paperwork portion & drug screen, physical, etc. for my new job. I won't order 100 at a time again!! Nope not gonna do it!

Judy

jj16 said:
This is really frustrating!! I always order 100 and hardly ever use them all but I've always been able to get rid of them towards the end of the season. Financially I flat can't afford this anymore!! Last week was my last week of unemployment and I'm still going thru the paperwork portion & drug screen, physical, etc. for my new job. I won't order 100 at a time again!! Nope not gonna do it!

Judy
You get 100 for about the same price as 50, but I guess it would depend on how many shows you do a season.

You don't have to buy the new catalogs, you can still use the current ones.

I think it'd be nice if they mail us out a pack of 25 for free!

wadesgirl said:
You get 100 for about the same price as 50, but I guess it would depend on how many shows you do a season.

You don't have to buy the new catalogs, you can still use the current ones.

Yes, I'm not planning on ordering new ones - the ones I have will be fine...I'll just use the flyer to advertise the one new product.

For all those who say they can't afford it:1. Print out one flyer of the new product and show it at your shows.
2. Sell one of the new products at said show.
3. Make at least $8.40 commission off of it.
4. Use that $8.40 to buy some of the inserts for the new catalog.
5. Use those inserts and sell more of the new product, earning more commission.

leftymac said:
For all those who say they can't afford it:

1. Print out one flyer of the new product and show it at your shows.
2. Sell one of the new products at said show.
3. Make at least $8.40 commission off of it.
4. Use that $8.40 to buy some of the inserts for the new catalog.
5. Use those inserts and sell more of the new product, earning more commission.

And then repeat!

I rarely order fewer than 100 at a time. It's just too good a deal to pass up. I, of course, ordered new catalogs on May 1. I plan to use the leftymac plan. ;)

Just got this from my Hospitality Director:FYI, I contacted Home Office to find out if everyone would be able to purchase the new Cool and Serve Tray in June and this is the response that I received. It is a great tool to use to get hosts to book, but we need to be aware that the ONLY people that can get the tray are June hosts with $650 in sales. As consultants, we can only get it by holding and submitting 2 shows before May 15th or by hosting a party of our own in June with $650 in sales.Shelly Dear Shelly,

Thank you for contacting The Pampered Chef. As of right now the Cool & Serve Square Tray is just a June host special and also our consultants can earn the item if you hold and submit 2 shows May 1 - 15.

Ney Perssico
Solution Center Representative
The Pampered Chef, Ltd.
The Pampered Chef
If that's the case, why have a catalog insert (or a new catalog)? Something's amiss....

leftymac said:
If that's the case, why have a catalog insert (or a new catalog)? Something's amiss....

Ah, yeah, WTH? Maybe guests can only order it starting in July? I want it available in June to boost SAT sales. Some better communication from HO is in order!

The more I think about it, the Sol. Ctr. Rep. must have been saying the only way currently to get it is by earning it in May or hosting in June. She didn't say it won't be available for sale in June. It would certainly be nice for HO to say "it will be available for sale in June for $42" and hence the idea of new catalogs and the inserts. Internal communication may be a little slow there, too.

gailz2 said:

This is what I was thinking. I have a plastic document display thingy I got a staples... it stands up on a table. I have one for the next month's host special and this month's guest special for each show. I would put one of these in there, or put two in a sheet protector and pass them around.

leftymac said:
Just got this from my Hospitality Director:

FYI, I contacted Home Office to find out if everyone would be able to purchase the new Cool and Serve Tray in June and this is the response that I received. It is a great tool to use to get hosts to book, but we need to be aware that the ONLY people that can get the tray are June hosts with $650 in sales. As consultants, we can only get it by holding and submitting 2 shows before May 15th or by hosting a party of our own in June with $650 in sales.

Shelly

Dear Shelly,

Thank you for contacting The Pampered Chef. As of right now the Cool & Serve Square Tray is just a June host special and also our consultants can earn the item if you hold and submit 2 shows May 1 - 15.

Ney Perssico
Solution Center Representative
The Pampered Chef, Ltd.
The Pampered Chef

That is bizarre! I agree, why issue a NEW catalog with it if guests can't buy it?

I think HO trying to keep things as a surprise is going a bit far here. We're not stupid. We can figure out this will be an item available for purchase based on everything that's going on.

I can kind of understand not wanting us to focus too far into the future, but they have to be a bit realistic too. Many of us are already booking June (it's less than a month away), and since HO encourages us to send invites, we should know what to tell the guests to expect.

That's very confusing then from what the CN says. It just said "Available June 1st". That really sounds like it is available for ANYONE.What would be the point of having the new catalog then? Am I missing something? Sounds like someone in HO doesn't know what they are talking about. Why put a great new product on the catalog front (a summer one at that!) that is SURE to be very popular and then say to customers- "Sorry, you can't have it. :D You'll have to wait until September." ????!?!?

Here's what is says in yesterday's PC Newswire:

Our hottest new product — the Cool & Serve Square Tray — is yours FREE when you hold and submit 2 Shows May 1-15!

Check out the Cool & Serve Square Tray video available on Consultant's Corner to see this must-have new product in action!

Beginning May 17, you'll be able to order catalogs, catalog inserts and mini catalogs — all featuring the Cool & Serve Square Tray. Our newest product will be available for guests to purchase on June 1! [Emphasis added.]​

Clearly the person at HO either misspoke or was mistaken.

I checked with my SED and it will be available to guests starting June 1 for $42.

raebates said:
Here's what is says in yesterday's PC Newswire:

Our hottest new product — the Cool & Serve Square Tray — is yours FREE when you hold and submit 2 Shows May 1-15!

Check out the Cool & Serve Square Tray video available on Consultant's Corner to see this must-have new product in action!

Beginning May 17, you'll be able to order catalogs, catalog inserts and mini catalogs — all featuring the Cool & Serve Square Tray. Our newest product will be available for guests to purchase on June 1! [Emphasis added.]​

Clearly the person at HO either misspoke or was mistaken.

Thanks, Rae. You're the best!

Another reason why I don't like my hospitality director. :)

The new product: This is something I have a hard time with and don't understand the thinking. It seems like it would make more sense to EARN it in April and be able to BUY it as a sample in May if you didn't earn it. Wouldn't that make sales for all better and benefit the company?:confused:

Also, I think it would be nice if they got the word out early about the catalog change. I seems kinda sneaky to let people order so close knowing they would be changing soon. :grumpy:

Sandi

PC is usually very careful about product testing before putting something on the market. My guess is that they tried to have this product ready to be in the spring/summer catalog but weren't through with testing in time. Rather than waiting another year to come out with it, they brought it out now. Yes, the timing, esp. with letting us know about new catalogs being available, could have been better.

Anyone else remember the year they tried to introduce the containers that you could bring your lunch to work in? I think they were supposed to keep things cool but could also be put in the microwave, though my memory could be faulty. PC spoke too soon, put them in the catalog, then they were on stop sell for the whole season b/c there were quality issues and we never actually got them. Never saw them again. Believe me, it's harder when something is in the catalog and you have to tell customers that there's a stop-sell than being excited about a new product that's not in the catalog. And better not to have unhappy customers dealing with a faulty product. Remember metal sheet pan stop-sell or backorder?

Or the plates with the trees.

I think that's a very good point. Things like this are frustrating, but in the end PC is trying to come up with the best solution overall.

Becca_in_MD said:
PC is usually very careful about product testing before putting something on the market. My guess is that they tried to have this product ready to be in the spring/summer catalog but weren't through with testing in time. Rather than waiting another year to come out with it, they brought it out now. Yes, the timing, esp. with letting us know about new catalogs being available, could have been better.

Anyone else remember the year they tried to introduce the containers that you could bring your lunch to work in? I think they were supposed to keep things cool but could also be put in the microwave, though my memory could be faulty. PC spoke too soon, put them in the catalog, then they were on stop sell for the whole season b/c there were quality issues and we never actually got them. Never saw them again. Believe me, it's harder when something is in the catalog and you have to tell customers that there's a stop-sell than being excited about a new product that's not in the catalog. And better not to have unhappy customers dealing with a faulty product. Remember metal sheet pan stop-sell or backorder?

That was my thought too!

Becca_in_MD said:

NooraK said:
Or the plates with the trees.

I think that's a very good point. Things like this are frustrating, but in the end PC is trying to come up with the best solution overall.

I agree, too. The only thing that I wish was that we had a heads up sooner. But maybe that was to help us be surprised and excited, and therefore help to get our customer base surprised and excited.

<h2>What is the issue with ordering catalogs from Pampered Chef?</h2><p>The issue is that the company is releasing new catalogs on May 17, making any previous catalogs obsolete and potentially causing unnecessary expenses for consultants who have already ordered them.</p><h2>Why did the person in this statement order 100 catalogs?</h2><p>They ordered 100 catalogs to save money, as ordering smaller quantities (such as 25 at a time) can be more expensive in the long run.</p><h2>What was their plan for the extra catalogs?</h2><p>The person planned to sell the extra catalogs to their "clutermates" (likely referring to other consultants in their cluster or team) if they didn't end up needing all 100 themselves.</p><h2>What changed their mind about ordering a larger quantity of catalogs?</h2><p>The person read the May CN (likely referring to the Pampered Chef Consultant News) and discovered that new catalogs will be released on May 17. This means that their current catalogs will soon be outdated and they will need to order new product inserts to update them.</p><h2>What is the warning being shared in this statement?</h2><p>The warning is to not order too many catalogs from Pampered Chef, as the company will be releasing new catalogs soon and any previous catalogs will become obsolete. This could result in additional expenses for consultants who have already ordered them.</p>

What is the issue with ordering catalogs from Pampered Chef?

The issue is that the company is releasing new catalogs on May 17, making any previous catalogs obsolete and potentially causing unnecessary expenses for consultants who have already ordered them.

Why did the person in this statement order 100 catalogs?

They ordered 100 catalogs to save money, as ordering smaller quantities (such as 25 at a time) can be more expensive in the long run.

What was their plan for the extra catalogs?

The person planned to sell the extra catalogs to their "clutermates" (likely referring to other consultants in their cluster or team) if they didn't end up needing all 100 themselves.

What changed their mind about ordering a larger quantity of catalogs?

The person read the May CN (likely referring to the Pampered Chef Consultant News) and discovered that new catalogs will be released on May 17. This means that their current catalogs will soon be outdated and they will need to order new product inserts to update them.

What is the warning being shared in this statement?

The warning is to not order too many catalogs from Pampered Chef, as the company will be releasing new catalogs soon and any previous catalogs will become obsolete. This could result in additional expenses for consultants who have already ordered them.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nicki25
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • pamperedchef.jinni
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
raebates
  • wadesgirl