• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Catalog Show Host- Sales Tax Question

In summary, a catalog show host is someone who displays and sells products from a catalog at a party or event. Whether or not sales tax needs to be charged depends on the state and the products being sold, with some states having exemptions for direct sales. The specific products exempt from sales tax also vary by state and it is important to research and consult with a tax professional. If sales tax is required, the host will need to obtain a permit, collect the tax, and remit it to the state's tax agency on a regular basis. While the responsibility for collecting and remitting sales tax typically falls on the company, it is important for the host to follow all tax laws to avoid any legal issues.
esavvymom
Staff member
My SIL is having a catalog show for me. She lives in Wisconsin and is having the product shipped to her. The main buying guests are people she works with- in the state of Illinois (she lives in a border county and works in the county over the border).

She asked if the sales tax would be Illinois or Wisconsin. I saw that the Policies states that sales tax is figured based on where the product is shipped...so I guess that means it would be the Wisconsin rate (which is about 2% cheaper)

I figured that if they did direct shipping- it would be based on their address of course. If they order online for her catalog show and do NOT select direct shipping, would it then still be the Wisconsin/host tax rate?

Just wanted to clarify this. Thanks

You are correct- the tax rate would be Wisconsin, unless it is direct ship, then it is the tax rate it is being shipped to.

!Yes, in this case, the sales tax would be based on the shipping address, which would be Wisconsin in this situation. Even if they order online and do not select direct shipping, the sales tax would still be based on the shipping address. So in this case, it would still be the Wisconsin/host tax rate.

1. What is a catalog show host?

A catalog show host is someone who hosts a party or event where they display and sell products from a catalog, typically for a direct sales company.

2. Do I need to charge sales tax as a catalog show host?

It depends on the state you are in and the products you are selling. Some states require sales tax to be collected on all sales, while others have exemptions for direct sales. It is important to research the sales tax laws in your state and consult with a tax professional if necessary.

3. What products are exempt from sales tax for catalog show hosts?

This varies by state, but common exemptions for direct sales include food, medicine, and certain types of clothing. Some states also have a threshold for the amount of sales before sales tax must be collected, so it is important to check with your state's tax agency for specific exemptions.

4. How do I collect and remit sales tax as a catalog show host?

If sales tax is required in your state, you will need to obtain a sales tax permit and collect the appropriate amount of tax from each sale. You will then need to remit the tax to your state's tax agency on a regular basis, usually monthly or quarterly. It is important to keep accurate records of all sales and tax collected for tax purposes.

5. Can I be held personally responsible for not collecting or remitting sales tax as a catalog show host?

In most cases, the responsibility for collecting and remitting sales tax falls on the company whose products are being sold. However, it is important to follow all state and federal tax laws as a catalog show host to avoid any potential legal issues. If you are unsure of your tax obligations, it is best to consult with a tax professional for guidance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • BethanyN
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • chefheidi2003