• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sales Tax Increase in North Carolina- Sept 1St 2009

In summary, the state of North Carolina has increased the sales and use tax rate by 1% and this will affect the rates charged for telecommunication services, ancillary services, video programming, and spirituous liquor other than mixed beverages. This increase will expire on July 1, 2011.
esavvymom
Staff member
Just an FYI for doing shows/receipts in North Carolina:
(taken from the NC State Revenue website)

Increase in State Sales and Use Tax Rate

The 2009 North Carolina General Assembly has enacted legislation that provides for a temporary additional 1% State sales and use tax effective September 1, 2009 and will expire on July 1, 2011. Senate Bill 202 was ratified by the House of Representatives and the Senate on August 5, 2009 and has been signed by Governor Perdue.

As a result of the additional 1% State rate increase, the combined State and county tax rate will increase to 8.25% in Mecklenburg County, 8% in Alexander, Catawba, Cumberland, Haywood, Martin, Pitt, Sampson, and Surry Counties, and 7.75% in the remaining ninety-one counties.

The combined general rate of tax, which applies to telecommunications service, ancillary service, video programming, and spirituous liquor other than mixed beverages, is the State’s general rate plus the sum of the rates of local tax authorized for every county in the State. Therefore, since the additional 1% has been temporarily increased, the combined general rate will increase to 8% in all counties, including Mecklenburg County, until July 1, 2011.

Additional information will be forthcoming.

Bobbi,
Have you noticed that P3 is still putting in the old tax rate? I know we can manually adjust it, but I noticed that when people are placing on line orders for my shows it is only charging them 6.75%, not 7.75% even though I've adjusted it in P3.
What to do???
Jen

It takes them a couple of months to catch up. It will correct itself when it is pulled into your PWS. You need to explain that to your customers though so they won't be confused!

jross93 said:
Bobbi,
Have you noticed that P3 is still putting in the old tax rate? I know we can manually adjust it, but I noticed that when people are placing on line orders for my shows it is only charging them 6.75%, not 7.75% even though I've adjusted it in P3.
What to do???
Jen

Mine changed around the 3rd with a P3 update. Even the August show that I still had changed to the higher rate. I adjusted that one back down and it was fine.

NC said that the rate is based on delivery date (so technically we were to pay the higher rate even for August shows not yet delivered). I called HO and they said that we should charge the old rate and PC was covering it for those shows through 9/15. Gotta love our company!

Dear North Carolina consultants,

I just wanted to give you all a heads up about the temporary increase in the state sales and use tax rate in North Carolina. This increase will be effective from September 1, 2009 to July 1, 2011. This means that the combined state and county tax rate will be 8.25% in Mecklenburg County, 8% in several other counties, and 7.75% in the remaining counties. This increase will also affect the combined general rate of tax for telecommunications service, ancillary service, video programming, and spirituous liquor. I wanted to make sure you are all aware of this change so that you can accurately reflect it in your shows and receipts. More information will be provided in the future. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Happy selling!

1. What is the reason for the sales tax increase in North Carolina on September 1st, 2009?

The sales tax increase in North Carolina on September 1st, 2009 was implemented to help generate revenue for the state's budget and fund various public services.

2. How much was the sales tax increased by?

The sales tax in North Carolina was increased by 1%, from 6.75% to 7.75%.

3. Are there any exemptions to the sales tax increase?

Yes, certain items such as groceries, prescription drugs, and medical supplies are exempt from the sales tax increase.

4. Will the sales tax increase impact online purchases?

Yes, the sales tax increase will also apply to online purchases made by North Carolina residents.

5. How long will the sales tax increase be in effect?

The sales tax increase went into effect on September 1st, 2009 and is still in effect currently. There have been no announced plans to repeal the increase.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
esavvymom
Back