• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can Forged Cutlery Serrated Knives Be Honed?

In summary, a honing tool straightens a blade while sharpening removes metal. Serrated knives can be sharpened, but should not be done so regularly. A professional should be used to sharpen them.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
Quick question ... can it be honed?

No, but it is very sharp. I love it! You generally can't sharpen serrated knives.

No, but I agree that it is a wonderful knife. I love mine.

serrated knives shouldn't ever be sharpened, whether using a honing tool, a sharpening steel, a stone, etc. No serrated knife should be sharpened ever ;)

That's actually not exactly true. Serrated knives can definitely be sharpened. My husband is a knife sharpener. People hire him to sharpen their knives. He has one machine that is very precision that can be used to sharpen serrated knives. The correct statement would be "you shouldn't try to sharpen your own serrated knives." Have them professionally sharpened. (-:

I guess I'm just concerned that people keep referring to honing as sharpening. There is a difference. This is why I asked. Just want to treat it properly. My utility knife seems "off" because it hadn't been honed for the first year or so I had it.

Yeah. People don't get the difference. They say "I have the knives that have the self sharpening cases that you used to sell and they're dull even though I keep them in those cases." It kills me because so many consultants sold them as "self-sharpening cases for the knives" and they are just honing cases. I have to explain the difference and then they feel ripped off. *sigh*

So what IS the difference then? Because I've got no idea.

Honing simply straightens the blade. Basically, think of taking a curved string and straighten it. You removed nothing, just re-arranged the shape.

Sharpening removes metal. Regular honing helps keep blades sharp, but eventually they need to have their edge re-ground so that it is sharp. So with sharpening, you "trim" the blade a bit.

Sharpening is usually best left to professionals. If you know someone who is good at sharpening knives, you can trust them with straight blades, but I would still send serrated blades to a professional. Trying to sharpen a serrated blade the same way you sharpen a regular blade will ruin it.

Thanks!! That makes perfect sense :D

Our knives with cases used to be Knife with Sharpening Case (still have my old ones). It was recommended to sharpen them every 4th use or when noticing that they're dull. Those knives had a lifetime warranty. They disappeared and a while later the current knives with honing case came out. You may have customers who have the old ones so don't think that some consultant misrepresented them. The sharpening cases were white so that's a way to tell the difference between the old and the new. Excellent explanation of honing v. sharpening on here, which you can try to pass on to your customers. They're still going to think they're sharpening their knives ;)

I believe the ones with the sharpening case are in the outlet too.

Thanks for explaining the difference, I really had no idea what the difference was!

1. What makes the Pampered Chef Forged Cutlery Serrated Knife different from other knives?

The Pampered Chef Forged Cutlery Serrated Knife is made with high-quality, German stainless steel that has been forged for strength and durability. This means that it can handle tough cutting tasks and maintain its sharpness over time.

2. Can the Forged Cutlery Serrated Knife be used for both slicing and chopping?

Yes, the serrated edge of the knife is designed for slicing through foods with tough exteriors, while the straight edge can be used for chopping and other precision cutting tasks. This versatility makes it a great all-purpose knife in the kitchen.

3. Is the Forged Cutlery Serrated Knife dishwasher safe?

While the knife is technically dishwasher safe, we recommend hand washing to preserve its sharpness and extend its lifespan. The high heat and harsh detergents in dishwashers can cause the blade to dull over time.

4. How often should I sharpen the Forged Cutlery Serrated Knife?

With proper care and use, the Forged Cutlery Serrated Knife should only need to be sharpened once or twice a year. However, if you notice that it is becoming difficult to slice through foods, it may be time to sharpen it.

5. What is the warranty for the Forged Cutlery Serrated Knife?

The Forged Cutlery Serrated Knife comes with a lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. If you encounter any issues with your knife, please contact our customer service team for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dkitten13
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • sillylittlechef