• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are New Knives with Honing Tools Better Than Self-Sharpening Ones?

In summary, the group discusses their thoughts on the new knives with honing tool. They agree that the knives are more modern looking and user friendly, but not necessarily an investment knife. They also like the locking mechanism and believe it will be better for selling purposes. Some have encountered difficulties with using the old sharpening cases, but hope the new knives will be easier for the masses to use. There is also a discussion about the guarantee being 5 years instead of lifetime, but the group generally prefers the forged cutlery. Some consultants have not watched the necessary training materials, which may affect their ability to sell the new products. Overall, the group likes the new knives and believes they will be a successful addition to their product line.
itsjustCarla
Just curious.....I LOVE my forged cutlery, but was curious as to what everyone thinks about the new knives with the honing tool???

I decided to get the paring knife...so I would have one to show if needed, and so I would know how they work. I am honestly impressed with it so far. I don't use my other sharpening knives/cases anymore since I am in love with my forged cutlery...but I think it cuts pretty nice, and the feel of the handle in my hand is MUCH BETTER than our old ones.

It's not going to make me switch over, but I DO like them!

I like them. They're more modern looking than the old versions. Still not an investment knife, but good for people on a budget.

chefann said:
I like them. They're more modern looking than the old versions. Still not an investment knife, but good for people on a budget.

And good to take along if you'll need a knife at a picnic or other such event.

BethCooks4U said:
And good to take along if you'll need a knife at a picnic or other such event.

I agree! I like the "locking" mechanism so they can't fall out of the honer tool.

I also like that they are much more user friendly than the old ones. Unless someone got a personal visual lesson on how to use the old sharpener cases, it seemed like I was getting complaints that their knives weren't sharpening. Once I would see how they used the sharpening case, normally I would notice that they weren't engaging the mechanism at all...or that they weren't sharpening the entire length of the blade. Hopefully, these will be easier for the masses to use properly!! lol

itsjustCarla said:
Just curious.....I LOVE my forged cutlery, but was curious as to what everyone thinks about the new knives with the honing tool???

I never used the old ones, so I don't have a basis of comparison except to the Forged Cutlery. I have the paring knife and it just feels so light in my hand! Too light for me, actually.

I love the forged knifes I know some of my hostess are doing shows just to get that whole set as an 1/2 price item and to people who aren't wanting the whole set is excited to see that the bamboo knife block is seperate.

I haven't gotten one neg. thought about the set at all or even the price of it. They find it is very appealing for all they are getting in the set. I have a host who is going to work on getting it as an 1/2 priced item and try to get another 1/2 price for the steak knifes. So I think it will go really well all the way around. People have been asking if they had a knife block and then they always say i wish we could get the knifes in a set without having a party.

KellyTheChef said:
I agree! I like the "locking" mechanism so they can't fall out of the honer tool.

I also like that they are much more user friendly than the old ones. Unless someone got a personal visual lesson on how to use the old sharpener cases, it seemed like I was getting complaints that their knives weren't sharpening. Once I would see how they used the sharpening case, normally I would notice that they weren't engaging the mechanism at all...or that they weren't sharpening the entire length of the blade. Hopefully, these will be easier for the masses to use properly!! lol

I've encountered the "need a lesson" issue with several consultants who were playing with the new knives. It showed me that a) the icons in the case aren't obvious enough nor as intuitive as they should be; and b) many consultants haven't watched the DVD that shows how to use them (this one really bugs me - how are they supposed to sell the new items if they don't know anything about them?)

I don't have the new ones yet, but plan on getting the 5" and pairing knife since these are the ones I get asked to look at the most.

I did see them at my cluster meeting and thought they were nice. The only thing to remember is the guarantee is now 5 years and not lifetime like the old ones. I think this will be a better selling point for the forged. I will certainly encourage the forged over them due to the guarantee:)! Plus I like them much better.

I know this is one of those products I'll need to demonstrate at each show. I know my customers can read; it's just that so many of them don't.

I think in comparison to the self-sharpening knives the new ones win hands down. I earned the 3" paring knife in SAT and I can honestly say I will not be ordering another one of them. I only use my FC and I will be putting the self-sharpening knives in my camper as they will be fine there, but I do not use them in my kitchen. I agree the new ones feel light, too light in my hands.
I also love the change in the guarantee!!!! I think this is a GREAT thing for FC!!!

What are the benefits of using a knife with an integrated honing tool?

Using a knife with an integrated honing tool ensures that your knife remains sharp and effective for longer periods of time. The honing tool helps to realign the blade, keeping it in top condition for precise and effortless cutting.

How often should I use the honing tool on my new knife?

We recommend using the honing tool every time you use your knife. This will help maintain the sharpness of the blade and prevent the need for frequent sharpening.

Can I sharpen my knife with the honing tool or do I still need a separate sharpener?

The honing tool is designed to maintain the sharpness of the blade, but it is not a replacement for a separate sharpener. We recommend using the honing tool regularly and sharpening your knife with a separate sharpener as needed.

Is the honing tool easy to use for beginners?

Yes, the honing tool is designed to be user-friendly and can be used by both beginners and experienced cooks. Simply run the blade along the honing tool at a 20-degree angle to keep your knife sharp and ready for use.

How do I clean and maintain the honing tool?

The honing tool can be easily cleaned with warm water and mild soap. Make sure to dry it thoroughly before storing it. We also recommend periodically oiling the honing tool to prevent rust and maintain its effectiveness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Pampered Laura
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • Kathytnt