• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Where Should I Take My Knives to Be Professionally Sharpened?

although, I am not sure of the cost...You can take your knives to a butcher to be sharpened as well... although, I am not sure of the cost...
babywings76
Gold Member
At my show on Saturday, after talking about the knives and the honing tool, someone asked "where do you take your knives to be "professionally" sharpened, and how much does THAT cost?" That's a good question, and I hadn't thought out my answer yet, so I told her I would look into it. I still see on the market professional knives that are being sold with sharpeners. So, are they bad to use? Is our honing tool a whole different concept than what is recommended to the public every where else? Do we have to take the knives to a professional? I know the serrated ones need to be.

Our honing tool keeps the blade alligned which keeps it sharp longer. Sharpening wears away the blade and should only be done as necessary - usually every couple of years.

You'll need to find a local place that will professionally sharpen the knives.

Honing basically "realligns" the blade. (With use, the edge of the blade gets very small imperfections and the sharp edge gets bent over slightly...these are not big enough to SEE, but big enough to cause the blade to not be super sharp. This is all NORMAL and happens to all knives during use.) Honing regularly re-alligns the edge so you have a super sharp knife again. After 1-2 years use, the honing just won't be enough to "fix" it, so it then needs to be professionally sharpened. (Which is when they actually take a small part of the blade off to recreate a new edge. Honing does NOT remove any metal from the blade.)

If someone who doesn't know what they are doing sharpens your knives (or you try to do it yourself) you can REALLY mess up the edge. That's why PC recommends a professional to sharpen them.

I am just now getting to the point where a couple of my knives probably need sharpened, so I have not looked into pricing yet. I know, though, that our local hardware shop sharpens knives/lawn mower blades/etc. so that's where I will be taking mine.

I did explain all of that to them, it's just that they looked at me like I was from Mars when I said that every couple of years they would need to be sharpened. That's when one guest asked where on earth you find someone who sharpens knives professionally, when most people just do it themselves with the sharpening tools that are sold everywhere. KWIM?

OK. Now you made me wonder, so I looked into pricing at my local hardware. They have a gentleman who comes into the store from 10-3 on the first Friday of each month. He sharpens them right on the spot for $3 per knife, or $4 per pair of scissors.

I don't think that sounds bad at all!

KellyTheChef said:
OK. Now you made me wonder, so I looked into pricing at my local hardware. They have a gentleman who comes into the store from 10-3 on the first Friday of each month. He sharpens them right on the spot for $3 per knife, or $4 per pair of scissors.

I don't think that sounds bad at all!

Oh that's terrific news! I didn't even know where to begin looking for a professional sharpener. Thanks!

My DH can professionally sharpen my knives without difficulty. He used to be a butcher, and they know how to sharpen knives. At least I know mine will be for free.

I believe, correct me if I am wrong, but JoAnn Fabrics also has someone come in every month or every other month to do sharpening. I don't know if they only do scissors or if they do knives also, will have to check on that.

From what I understand, too, you can take your knives to a butcher to be sharpened as well... although, I am not sure of the cost...

tlag1986 said:
My DH can professionally sharpen my knives without difficulty. He used to be a butcher, and they know how to sharpen knives. At least I know mine will be for free.
Lucky You.

Do you think we should ask HO about this? Since it has a lifetime guarantee, what if the sharpening guy mess up ? Will it void the guarantee?

Beware of places that use a machine to sharpen. It's really not the same as have a skilled tradesmen sharpen them.

PamperedDor said:
Do you think we should ask HO about this? Since it has a lifetime guarantee, what if the sharpening guy mess up ? Will it void the guarantee?
That's a really good one.

I just e-mailed HO about it, we'll see what they say.

I had a customer's done at JoAnne's Fabric- $15.00. VERY well worth it, I think!

You can ask your hair stylist where she/he get their scissors sharpen they may do knives too.

tlag1986 said:

I used to be a butcher also. I have a Norton's triple stone that I use to sharpen my knives. It has three different grades a stone: coarse, med, and fine. The stones rotate in an oil bath so they are always wet when sharpening.

It takes patience and is definitely something that requires some know how. I agree with SassyCook about those who use a machine. When I was cutting meat and butchering we used a belt grinder to sharpen our knives (because they weren't really ours but the shops). These grinders worked fast but they really eat up the metal and the heat generated by the process also weakens the metal.

Last edited:
KimoMakano said:
I used to be a butcher also. I have a Norton's triple stone that I use to sharpen my knives. It has three different grades a stone: coarse, med, and fine. The stones rotate in an oil bath so they are always wet when sharpening.

It takes patience and is definitely something that requies some know how. I agree with SassyCook about those who use a machine. When I was cutting meat and butchering we used a belt grinder to sharpen our knives (because they weren't really ours but the shops). These grinders worked fast but they really eat up the metal and the heat generated by the process also weakens the metal.

This covered what I was going to say about powered grinders. I have a set of stones as well and sharpen all my knives to varying degrees of "sharpness". Certain knives you don't want "too sharp" because it would create a fragile (too thin) edge that would easily "roll" on you.

What the auto-honer does is take care of the rolling and other minor imperfections to your knife.

WonderMonkey said:
This covered what I was going to say about powered grinders. I have a set of stones as well and sharpen all my knives to varying degrees of "sharpness". Certain knives you don't want "too sharp" because it would create a fragile (too thin) edge that would easily "roll" on you.

What the auto-honer does is take care of the rolling and other minor imperfections to your knife.

Agreed. Believe it or not there is such a thing as having "too sharp" of a knife!!

I would imagine for most people they could go almost a lifetime without needing to have their knives professionally sharpened if they take proper care of them; using a decent honing tool (like the PC one), proper care and storage, and careful use of the knife while cutting.

Wiping off your blade right after use is a good way to help the health of your knife.

Don't know that any of you have a JoAnn Fabrics near you, but they anually host a "free sharpening event."

I got an e-mail back about getting knives sharpened. They definitely suggest going to a skilled professional, and not using the electric one. They also said to save the receipt from the shop that sharpens them. They didn't say why, but maybe that is for the guarantee to stay in affect. (I had asked if there was a way that the guarantee would be voided, so maybe that's why)

What is the difference between forged cutlery and stamped cutlery?

Forged cutlery is made from a single piece of steel that is heated and shaped using a hammer or press, resulting in a stronger and more durable blade. Stamped cutlery is made by cutting the shape of the blade from a large sheet of steel, resulting in a lighter and less expensive blade.

Why is it important to regularly sharpen my knives?

Regular sharpening helps maintain the sharpness and effectiveness of your knives. Dull knives not only make food prep more difficult, but they can also be dangerous as they require more force to cut through food, increasing the risk of slipping and potentially causing injury.

How often should I sharpen my knives?

The frequency of sharpening depends on how often you use your knives and the type of cutting surface you use. As a general guideline, it is recommended to sharpen your knives every 3-6 months with regular use. However, if you notice your knives becoming dull or difficult to use, it is best to sharpen them sooner.

What is the best way to sharpen my forged cutlery?

We recommend using a honing steel or a whetstone to sharpen your forged cutlery. Honing steels should be used regularly (before or after each use) to maintain the sharpness of the blade. Whetstones should be used for more intensive sharpening when the knife becomes dull.

Can I sharpen my stamped cutlery?

Yes, you can sharpen stamped cutlery, but it may not hold its edge as well as forged cutlery. We recommend using a honing steel for regular maintenance and a whetstone for more intensive sharpening. However, if your stamped cutlery becomes too dull or damaged, it may be more cost-effective to replace it rather than trying to sharpen it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pkd09
  • cookinmama
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Momma23boys
  • merego
  • Products and Tips
Replies