• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Sharpen the Color Coated Santuko?

well, you know....but I am definitely on the list!I have a Wuhstof-Trident Professional Mini Chefs Knife that has been my favorite knife for years - It's a Chefs Knife about the size of the Green Mini Santoku - so when the green one came out I immediately wished for it in the Forged......sooooo hoping!I'm hoping for a carving set and mini santoku! I haven't purchased the carving set yet just because of...well, you know....but I am definitely on the list!
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
How do we sharpen the Color Coated Santuko? Do you know if we can use it with the Honing Tool or is that just for the Forged Cutlery? I loked in the PIG and didn't see any info on this.

I was under the impression that it couldn't or shouldn't be sharpened. Wasn't there a post a while back about the honing tool causing some of the color coating to peel off? I can't remember...

And I was under the impression that it could be sharpened with the honing tool! In fact, so much under that impression, that I have sharpened mine several times!:)

I use mine all day long - every day! My biggest hope right now for the new "sharp products" is that one will be a forged cutlery mini Santoku!

Well, that's good to know! I was afraid to try it. Thanks, Becky!

ChefBeckyD said:
And I was under the impression that it could be sharpened with the honing tool! In fact, so much under that impression, that I have sharpened mine several times!:)

I use mine all day long - every day! My biggest hope right now for the new "sharp products" is that one will be a forged cutlery mini Santoku!
Oh, I hadn't thought of that....yes, I want one of those!

A forged mini Santoku would be awesome!! :D

I don't have the color coated santoku, and I didn't realize we could sharpen it. Nice to know it works.

I thought the honing tool was for realiening the knife, not sharpening it.

Not sure what "realigning" the knife means - but The Professional Forged Cutlery needs to be professionally sharpened every 1-2 years. The Honing Tool is for restoring a sharp edge to a knife dulled by everyday use.

Joyce Juengel said:
I thought the honing tool was for realiening the knife, not sharpening it.

Correct. It helps with burrs in the blade, etc.

jenniferknapp said:
Correct. It helps with burrs in the blade, etc.
which helps to keep a nice sharp edge....right?

Where do we sharpen our Forged Cutlery knives? Just wondering for warranty purchases.

Good info Becky, thanks!

pamperedlinda said:
which helps to keep a nice sharp edge....right?

Correct!

mpkegley said:
Where do we sharpen our Forged Cutlery knives? Just wondering for warranty purchases.

I do not think that there are any recommended places. They do say that our knives really shouldn't need sharpening as long as you hone regularly. If anything, maybe every 2 years or so you can go to a professional to have them sharpened.

mpkegley said:

I've heard some people talk about Michaels, or Hobby Lobby......I take mine to a local Hardware Store - or there is also a man in our town who has a Tool Sharpening business right in his home - my DH has taken Saw Blades, Lawn Mower Blades, etc....there for years. Someone like that could do it too.

christy_c said:
A forged mini Santoku would be awesome!! :D
THat's what I'm guessing one of the new forged cutlery products is! I hope!:)

jenniferknapp said:
Correct!

I do not think that there are any recommended places. They do say that our knives really shouldn't need sharpening as long as you hone regularly. If anything, maybe every 2 years or so you can go to a professional to have them sharpened.

??? Who says?

Here are the instructions for honing and sharpening from the PIG - and also a suggestion on where to have them sharpened.

https://www.pamperedchef.com/images...051-1052-1053-1054-1055-1057_forgedknives.pdf

Don't mean to be snippy - just passionate about Good Knives and the use and care of them!:)

I think the new Forged Cutlery will be a Carving Set, just in time for Thanksgiving!

Trish in Texas
independent Consultant

pamperedbecky said:
THat's what I'm guessing one of the new forged cutlery products is! I hope!:)

Me too, Becky!

I have a Wuhstof-Trident Professional Mini Chefs Knife that has been my favorite knife for years - It's a Chefs Knife about the size of the Green Mini Santoku - so when the green one came out I immediately wished for it in the Forged......sooooo hoping!

I am hoping for a carving set and mini santoku! I haven't purchased the carving set yet just because of that!

jenniferknapp said:
HO....Quoted from the document you are linking to:

"When honing alone is no longer sufficient, professionally sharpen no more than once every one to two years."

Exactly - it is sorta misinformation to say that it should never need professional sharpening......most good knives, at some point will need to be professionally sharpened. (lots of years of experience w/ professional knives;) )

ChefBeckyD said:
Exactly - it is sorta misinformation to say that it should never need professional sharpening......most good knives, at some point will need to be professionally sharpened. (lots of years of experience w/ professional knives;) )

Sorry, I thought that is what I was implying when I said: "They do say that our knives really shouldn't need sharpening as long as you hone regularly. If anything, maybe every 2 years or so you can go to a professional to have them sharpened."

I'm hoping for a mini santoku also! I am using my color coted mini one quite a bit these days! I just don't like the looks of it compared to the beautiful forged cutlery!:)

jenniferknapp said:
Sorry, I thought that is what I was implying when I said: "They do say that our knives really shouldn't need sharpening as long as you hone regularly. If anything, maybe every 2 years or so you can go to a professional to have them sharpened."

Sorry Jennifer! I tend to take things literally.

I would LOVE a minie santuko too. I love the big one but am more comfortable using a smaller one.

I have the carving set and have only used it once, so, I personally really do not want another one of those.

ChefBeckyD said:
Sorry Jennifer! I tend to take things literally.

No problem. I was being lazy and instead of looking up the info to get HO's exact wording, I summarized it in my own words

Please please please please please don't take your knives to a hardware or fabric store.

Go to your favorite fancy restaurant and ask the chef where she/he gets knives sharpened. Then bring yours there.

What grocery store has the best meat department in your town? Mine has a sign for a free sharpening service in their butcher department. Also if you have a butcher store/meat market, they would be able to do it. Like chefs, they know how important a good tool is to cut through things.

Trish1953 said:
I think the new Forged Cutlery will be a Carving Set, just in time for Thanksgiving!

Trish in Texas
independent Consultant

That would be awesome!!

So, have we gotten the answer of what to do with the green coated ones?

ChefBeckyD said:
According to this from the PC Website - we can sharpen the green Santoku knife w/ the honing tool.

Thanks Becky. That's what I thought but with all the talk wanted to make sure.

Would the mini Santuko be like a paring knife. I think that would be great. I use the green colored Santuko knife everyday, but would like to see a smaller one

vtchef said:
Would the mini Santuko be like a paring knife. I think that would be great. I use the green colored Santuko knife everyday, but would like to see a smaller one

The green one IS the mini Santoku! Wait til you see the regular sized Santoku.....it's a weapon!

While we are on the knife subject, has anyone tried slicing through a piece of paper w/theirs? I was watching a show "on demand" that was knives 101, or slicing 101 (not sure the exact name) and the chef gave an example of a sharp knive by slicing right through a piece of copy/printer paper. I tried it w/mine (and it was a brand new knife) and couldn't do it. I was going to call HO about it, but never did.

This was a demo I was going to use at my shows.

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "How to Sharpen the Color Coated Santuko?

The top 5 most frequently asked questions about sharpening the Color Coated Santuko are:

1. How do we sharpen the Color Coated Santuko?
  2. Do you know if we can use it with the Honing Tool or is that just for the Forged Cutlery?
  3. Can I sharpen the Color Coated Santuko with a regular knife sharpener?
  4. How often do I need to sharpen the Color Coated Santuko?
  5. Will sharpening the Color Coated Santuko damage the color coating?

How do we sharpen the Color Coated Santuko?

The best way to sharpen the Color Coated Santuko is to use a sharpening stone or a manual knife sharpener. Make sure to follow the specific instructions for the sharpener and be careful not to damage the color coating.

Do you know if we can use it with the Honing Tool or is that just for the Forged Cutlery?

The Honing Tool can be used for both the Color Coated Santuko and the Forged Cutlery. However, it is recommended to use a sharpening stone or manual sharpener for the Color Coated Santuko as the honing tool may not be as effective on the color coating.

Can I sharpen the Color Coated Santuko with a regular knife sharpener?

It is not recommended to use a regular knife sharpener on the Color Coated Santuko as it may damage the color coating. It is best to use a sharpening stone or manual sharpener specifically designed for colored knives.

How often do I need to sharpen the Color Coated Santuko?

The frequency of sharpening the Color Coated Santuko will depend on how often you use it and the type of cutting tasks you perform. It is generally recommended to sharpen the knife every 6-12 months with regular use.

Will sharpening the Color Coated Santuko damage the color coating?

If done correctly, sharpening the Color Coated Santuko should not damage the color coating. However, it is important to follow the instructions and be gentle when sharpening to avoid any potential damage to the coating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• atpchef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • turtle15
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
stefani2
  • Intrepid_Chef