• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Understanding the Honing Tool: Usage and Compatibility

P
Pampered Laura
I read the PIG and it says that our Honing Tool is not to be used with ANY other cutlery besides the Forged... but what exactly would happen if someone were to use this Honing Tool with their regular knives? I have a customer who wants to buy it, but wants to use it with her own knives.
Should I not let her buy it? Will it ruin her knives?

I would email HO and include that question~ find out if there really is a reason why.

I just did, waiting on their answer... I just thought if someone on CS had already asked Test Kitchens about it I'd have an answer faster ;)

Someone very well may!

The honing tool is specifically designed for the angle of our knives. If you use it with another knife, it cannot be guaranteed to work. Imagine if you had a thin knife and honed it on a thick honer. Not much would happen, and it wouldn't happen evenly. On the other hand, if the honer is thinner than the knife, it could be dangerous to use because you have to use more pressure and could end up breaking the ceramic bars. Suggest that she find a honing tool for her knives or invest in ours.

Kate: How did you get so smart?!

I'm guessing since they have told us several times that only PC forged cutlery should be used with this that using it on other knives would either damage the knives or the honing tool or both.

Anne - lots and lots of chocolate!

cmdtrgd said:
Ahh!!! I must try that!

cmdtrgd said:

Why hasn't that worked for me?;) Thanks for the info on the honing tool; that's what I was guessing, but good to know that it's true.

1. What is the recommended usage for the Honing Tool?

The Honing Tool is specifically designed to be used with Forged cutlery only. It is not recommended to use it with any other type of knife.

2. What would happen if I use the Honing Tool with my regular knives?

Using the Honing Tool with knives other than Forged can potentially damage both the honing tool and the knife. It may not provide the desired result and can even cause the blade to become dull.

3. Can I still purchase the Honing Tool if I want to use it with my own knives?

While we highly recommend using the Honing Tool with Forged cutlery, it is ultimately up to the customer to decide. However, we cannot guarantee the effectiveness of the tool on non-Forged knives and it may cause damage.

4. Will using the Honing Tool with regular knives ruin them?

There is a possibility that using the Honing Tool with regular knives can cause damage, such as dulling the blade. We highly advise against using it with non-Forged knives.

5. Should I not let my customer purchase the Honing Tool if she wants to use it with her own knives?

While we cannot stop the customer from purchasing the Honing Tool, it is important to inform them of the potential risks and advise against using it with non-Forged knives. Ultimately, the decision is up to the customer.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• itsjustCarla
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pampered.chris
  • Kathytnt
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jenniferknapp
  • sillylittlechef