• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cake & Burger Cooking: Microwave Rice Cooker Craft Fair Questions

In summary, the woman said that she had done a cake in the micro cooker and the consultant made a cake in the microwave. The demo also consisted of browning hamburger in the rice cooker. The woman said that she had tried it and it was perfect. She had been serving it hot, she hadn't tried inverting it. She had been calling it "hot fudge cake". She used devil's food and chocolate fudge frosting. The leftovers were just as good cold.
Cookie
I was doing a craft fair and this woman said she was at a show where the consultant made a cake in the microwave in a micro rice cooker. It had the frosting melted at the bottom like the one you make in the fluted pan. Then she served the cake in dishes and cooked hamburger meat in the rice cooker.
Has anyone ever done either of these things? What are the times? What do you use the burger for after it's cooked, a taco ring or do you make a burger and rice dish? Thanks.

I've only heard of cooking beef (and chicken for that matter) in the microcooker, not the rice cooker. And I haven't heard of baking a cake in the microcooker or rice cooker. Interesting! I'd love to hear about it if anybody has.

Rice cooker cakeI went to the store tonight and cake mix was on sale so I thought I'd just go ahead and give it a try. It didn't explode or anything. I think I put in too much frosting on the top though. I used the medium scoop and put 6 on. Next time I will try 4. But as for the cake part it was fantastic! It was so moist. I cooked it for 9min. I didn't turn it out onto a plate because it was floating on top of the melted frosting. So I just scooped it out and put it on plates then ladled the sauce on top. Maybe even 4 scoops would be too much maybe 3. Then I took out the leftovers and looked in the inside and I was afraid that the hot frosting might have melted the sides but when I washed it , it was perfectly fine. Anyway, that was a very fun experiment. I do believe I'm ready to try hamburger!

rice cooker cakeSeveral years ago I went to a Tupperware party and the demo was with their microcooker type thing--the consultant made a cake in the microwave with it. Perhaps this is what the lady was talking about??? The demo also consisted of browning hamburger in it as well. I'll call my friend who used to be a Tupperware consultant and see what the times were for both--if she still has the recipes. I would think that if it can be done in the Tupperware one, then we should be able to do it with our microcookers? Perhaps a search on the WWW (internet) would come up with some recipes? I'm almost positive it was Tupperware though.

I was intrigued by the idea of a cake in the rice cooker so I just tried it. I put 3 scoops of frosting in the bottom and then the prepared cake mix. Covered it and micorwaved on high for 9 minutes. The cake wasn't even touching the sides of the pan! I inverted it SOOOO easily onto a plate. The frosting drizzled down (I would use 4 medium scoops - I think 3 wasn't quite enough) and it is so moist and yummy! I had to try it hot! Once it cools I'll sprinkle powdered sugar or cocoa over it. My son suggested coconut - I hate coconut but if that what he wants...it'll keep me away from it. ;)

I LOVE to give multiple uses for our tools! Thanks for suggesting this!

rice cooker cakeWOW! Sounds like this cake thing can be PC's newest selling point on a product! It could really take off! I have an Open House on Saturday and there is no stove/oven in the conference room that I'll be using, but I think there is a microwave. I think I'm going to use this as a selling point! Ooooh! I'm so excited now! Thank you all for your wonderful curiousity that helps make our great business only get better! :D

I'm for sure going to try that today. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Rice cooker cakeI tried it again today and used 4 scoops of frosting and it was perfect. I mix the cake mix right in the rice cooker though and then put the frosting on top and it sinks to the bottom. That way I don't even have another bowl to clean up. Nothing could possibly be so incredibly good and yet so easy! I've been serving it hot, I haven't tried inverting it. I just scoop out servings and put them on plates then spoon the sauce in the bottom of the cooker over the top. I've been calling it "hot fudge cake". I used devil's food and chocolate fudge frosting. The leftovers were just as good cold though.

Beth, When you inverted it onto a plate how did it look? Was it pretty? What flavor did you use?

Cookie said:
I tried it again today and used 4 scoops of frosting and it was perfect. I mix the cake mix right in the rice cooker though and then put the frosting on top and it sinks to the bottom. That way I don't even have another bowl to clean up. Nothing could possibly be so incredibly good and yet so easy! I've been serving it hot, I haven't tried inverting it. I just scoop out servings and put them on plates then spoon the sauce in the bottom of the cooker over the top. I've been calling it "hot fudge cake". I used devil's food and chocolate fudge frosting. The leftovers were just as good cold though.

Beth, When you inverted it onto a plate how did it look? Was it pretty? What flavor did you use?
I only had a yellow cake and vanilla frosting in the house. It looked good but plain. I would grate chocolate or nuts over it or put fruit on top or something to dress it up. My husband added more frosting to his - he even admitted that made it too rich and sweet. Usually when I make any kind of cake it takes a couple days for it to disappear (even my family's favorites) but this one was gone in hours - there are only 4 of us and I had to hide some so my husband could try it!!

I like the idea of mixing it in the cooker to avoid washing another dish and might try that at home but I think at shows I will use the mixing bowl (show more products) and then invert it onto either SA square or the new Celebrations Plate and TELL them that if they're in a real hurry they can do it all in the cooker and scoop it out! ;)

rice cooker cakeI'm curious to know before I try it, did you all use the lid or did you take the lid off to bake the cake? This sounds like a good 2nd recipe at shows that would be quick and easy! I have used the rice cooker for steaming broccoli, mac and cheese, pasta noodles for a pasta salad,flavored rice in packets. I love the rice cooker!
Candy McIntyre
Maine Consultant

pamperedchefme said:
I'm curious to know before I try it, did you all use the lid or did you take the lid off to bake the cake? This sounds like a good 2nd recipe at shows that would be quick and easy! I have used the rice cooker for steaming broccoli, mac and cheese, pasta noodles for a pasta salad,flavored rice in packets. I love the rice cooker!
Candy McIntyre
Maine Consultant
I used the lid!

Me too.I think that it turns out like it does because it is being steamed with the lid on. I'm thinking it is on the order of an old fashioned steamed pudding. Dense, moist and rich. Wouldn't that be fun for Christmas- a steamed figgy pudding!

Since it holds it's shape I think I'll try putting it on a plate too. Maybe use the cheese grater to shred chocolate on top or nuts. Maybe, strawberry fans with the egg slicer!

It just keeps getting better!

Rice cooker cakeHow great does this sound!!! I can't wait to try it!! I was killing time earlier reading some new posts and read all about this great cake!! then i had to go to the grocery store and they had Duncan Hines cake mixes for $1.00 so i stocked up!! but I do have a Quick questionor two? for the frosting do you use just a regular store bought can?? and do you put it in the bottom before you pour in the mix or do you pour in the mix and top it with the frosting then cook it??
Thank you!!
Heather

CakeI used the cheap store brand container of frosting. I mix the cake mix right in the rice cooker then plop the frosting on top. Beth said she put the frosting on the bottom. I guess either way works.

Oh My Gosh!!!!!!!!!I made this cake today with my best friend, we had a devils food cake, and tripple chocolate frosting, I put three scoops of frosting in the bottom then the cake mix put on the lid and 9 min. later took it out put it on the plate and the frosting just drizzled down! it was so good, we were burning our mouths cause we wouldn't wait till it cooled down, lol. I am going to make this at every show!

Now I am going to HAVE to buy a rice cooker..LOL I dont have one yet, though I thought about getting one on my enhancement month last month. Now I wish I had of gotten it. I will be getting one to try this out. I sell several fluted stoneware pans because ppl love the idea of being able to "bake" a cake in the microwave so this would sell good too. Thanks for all of the great ideas on here!!

Easier clean up!!I really have to try this!!! How many do you think this cake serves? The rice cooker will even be easier to clean than the fluted pan!! Gotta love easy clean ups!! ;)

kitchenqueen said:
I really have to try this!!! How many do you think this cake serves? The rice cooker will even be easier to clean than the fluted pan!! Gotta love easy clean ups!! ;)
This cake serves one! You just don't want to share! :D :D

Actually it makes a full size cake so it depends on the size slices you cut.

From the Test KitchenI wrote to the Test Kitchen to see if they knew of any possible problems that could arise from us using the Rice Cooker to make a cake and this is what they wrote back to me:

"...Making a microwave cake in the Rice Cooker Plus is fine as long as the cake is not overheated in the vessel. If foods that are high in fat or sugar are overheated in the Rice Cooker Plus, they potentially damage the surface of the Rice Cooker. When making the cake just be sure not to overheat the batter..."

So, I guess that means it's a go from the Test Kitchens to use the Rice Cooker as a cake baker/maker/cooker...LOL!

Pineapple Upside Down CakeI have been making the PUDC in the fluted pan and love it! The sour cream in the batter is awesome. Do you think this would work in the rice cooker? I tried to make this recipe at my last show and the micro was too small for the fluted cake pan to spin so we took out the carosel, but part of the cake burned slightly and the rest did not cook. It was very embarrassing! The rice cooker would have been perfect!

The Rice Cooker may not fit in some microwaves, also. It is too tall with the lid on to fit in smaller, more compact, microwaves. If the fluted pan did not fit in that microwave, chances are the rice cooker might not have either. Just something to think about. If you are planning this recipe for a show, it might be a good idea to ask your host the dimensions of her microwave ahead of time.

Rice Cooker CakeWell, I finally got it to turn out correctly in my microwave! I have a really old microwave, it's older than my 14 year old daughter...so I don't think the wattage is very high, but don't even know for sure what it is.

Anyway, I tried the cake for the first time on Tues...did 9 minutes and it was not cooked at the top, so when I turned it over, all the uncooked batter sort of collapsed on top of the cake.

Tried again on Wednesday, did 14 minutes and it was way over cooked on the edges.

Just tried again, and I got it! 11 minutes in my clunker old microwave and it was perfect. Also, tried my Easy Accent Decorator for the first time to decorate it...omg, that is the coolest item. I feel like a professional cake decorator.

I am going to make a lemon cake in it at my show on Saturday, but going to start it up right at the beginning so it has plenty of time to cool completely before the end of the show. Then I'll use the EAD to put some whipped cream flowers/stars on it, and the sprinkle with raspberries and garnish with some lemon zest. I just know people are going to be as excited as I am. Especially when I tell them about the mashed potatoes they can make in it too!

BTW, my nervousness is going away, I'm just plain ol' excited now about this business and my first show!

Tracy

NervousnessTracy,
I am with you there. I've only done one show. But I loved it! I can't wait to do another, and I can't wait for my rice cooker to arrive (ordered today) so I can try out this cake!! :)
Sarah

amazing rice cookerWow, my rice cooker should be here in a week, now I can't wait! The cake sounds so great, but please tell me how to make mashed potatoes in it.
Thanks
Karen

I have just one question about the frosting. What scoop did you use for the frosting? I am so glad that you guys put this on here because, for the life of me I could not figure out what I would personally use this for besides rice and oatmeal. But now!!! i am so excited to try this out!! Thanks alot!

Can someone tall me how tall the rice cooker is ? I dont have one yet. Was wondering if it would fit in my microwave. :)

Frosting?I think I am going to try and make one right now. Wait-I don't have any store bought frosting. Has anyone tried making their own frosting?

It's just slightly above 6 1/2 inches tall with the lid on.

I've been following this thread with great interest and I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Just one question: do you prepare the cake mix as directed on the box or do you do something special, as you would with the Fluted Pan recipes?

I might try this at a show today!

Mary

Cake MixMary,

You can make it as the box directs, and it turns out well. Someone else had posted a recipe using sour cream, but I haven't tried that one.

Good luck!
Diane

Ka-Boom!Okay, I tried this yesterday and it exploded out the top of my rice cooker at about 7 minutes! It was done (I had to taste what was left in the cooker! :D ), but what did I do wrong? I do fluted cakes all the time in my micro at the normal cook times!

Did you put the lid on?

I read in a previous post that they left the lid on!

Lid ProblemThe clear part of the lid will not snap back in. Is this happening to anyone.
:confused:

fabulous recipe..BUTI was reading posts on this site to get some last minute ideas for my show tonight...when I saw the posting about the cake in the Rice cooker.

I was soooo excited.

I told my host tonight about what I had read. She wanted to try it. We made it and I sold a few rice cookers...but...now my clear lid doesn't fit back in to the top of the lid properly...what do I do now?

kitchen queen said:
I was reading posts on this site to get some last minute ideas for my show tonight...when I saw the posting about the cake in the Rice cooker.

...now my clear lid doesn't fit back in to the top of the lid properly...what do I do now?
The clear lid is not made to fit securely in the outer lid. I thought mine wasn't right either but when I called Customer Service they explained it and I did see it written somewhere too - use & care card?

Don't try this at home...I was doing a demo of this cake at an open house and another vendor told me that you can do the same thing with using cherry pie filling instead of the frosting. I tried it and it was a great gloppy mess! :eek: I won't repeat what my daughter said it looked like. But I agreed. Yuk!

versitile rice cookerOkay...so my lid doesn't snap back in, but the rice cooker still works perfectly!!

I decided I wanted to see what else my rice cooker could do...so I made corn bread in it for dinner. (It was fluffy & fabulous.) Then I washed it out, let it cool and made another cake in it for my family. My hubby loved it.

How did you make the corn bread??

cornbreadI used the Jiffy cornbread mix. I added exactly what it called for in the Rice cooker. I stirred it all up in the Rice Cooker & then let it set for 4 minutes.

Then, I baked it on high for 5 1/2 minutes. It came out great. You, of course, will need to adjust times according to your microwave.

Fall Themed Cake?I have never tried a cake in the rice cooker...but I have a show tomorrow and there is no oven, so this would be perfect. Any suggestions on how to make this fit in with the Fall Themed Show? (I am making the Turkey Cranberry Wreath and Frosty Pumpkin Dessert and bringing them to the show, so I would love to have a recipe that I can demonstrate!!!!) Thanks for your suggestions!

Here's a list of microwave cakes I know of, for a fall theme I would suggest either something pumpkin or apple...hth.

Attachments

• Microwave recipes.doc
    28 KB · Views: 1,005
Thanksthanks so much...they sound great. Do you think they will work in the rice cooker?

I couldn't tell you, I've never tried it before...I would suggest trying it on your family first and it may take a little longer in the rice cooker vs the stone

should be quicker....
sjansen77 said:
thanks so much...they sound great. Do you think they will work in the rice cooker?

The cakes made in the rice cooker plus should be quicker than the ones done in the stoneware. That's because the rice cooker is like a pressure cooker--enclosed and only vents the steam, so things cook faster in it. Kind of like when you boil water in a lidded pot versus an open pot--the heat stays inside instead of venting out into the open. The typical stoneware microwave cake takes 12-14 min. whereas the rice cooker cakes take about 9 min. I've made a couple of the stonewave microwave cakes in the rice cooker and they turned out great! About 9 min. is what works in my microwave with a turntable...yours may be more or less depending on the microwave and whether or not it has a turntable inside it or not. Hope that helps!

Just recieved this in Uk spring sella thon.Just recieved this in Uk spring sell a thon. and had a look on this site and found some recipes and tried them. Chocolate molten lava cake was wonderful and so quick to make and it will definatley be a second recipe on standby as it is so quick and simple.

Love it and thank you America for all the great hints, tips, recipes etc you share. I am so loving the products and experiences i have with PC.

:) :D

Can you make any of these in the Deep Dish Baker? I don't have the Rice Cooker or the Fluted Stone.

I made one of those cakes last night. I used a yellow cake mix (which I mixed up in the Rice Cooker) and fudge frosting. I used 4 heaping "medium scoops" of frosting. I think I should have used 5 scoops. Anyhow, it didn't look the best, but it tasted great! I think next time I will use chocolate with chocolate, then it wouldn't look so funny. Also, my microwave is always hotter than what recipes call for, so I cooked it for 9 minutes at 80% power. Next time, I may try 8 minutes at 80% power to see if I can make it even more moist.
Kelly :)

Rice Cooker Plus...In the new seasons best Spring/Summer 2006 on page 29 "WARM CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT CAKE" is designed to bake in the microwave oven using our RICE COOKER PLUS. Sounds yummy!

Colleen :)

Rice Cooker CakeI made one this weekend but didn't use the clear insert, just the black lid. It came out fine. It was a little lop-sided, but it tasted great! I used 5 scoops of frosting and is kinda slid out to one side, so I just used a spoon and drissled it over the side that didn't have any.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SPAMSTIME
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • chefsteph07
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • magentablue