1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Cooking brown rice in the rice cooker

1. kitchenqueen

kitchenqueen Member

Has anyone tried cooking brown rice in the rice cooker? If so, can you tell me the directions? I know you have to cook brown rice alittle longer than white rice so I assume it is going to be different. I've cooked white rice in it plenty of times and every time it has come out PERFECT! I wanted to try to cook brown rice with dinner tonight. I appreciate any tips! Thanks in advance! :D

Jul 22, 2005
  2. TammyJo

TammyJo Member

Yummy Brown Rice

Yes, I have cooked brown rice in the cooker this week at a show and it was GREAT. I bought the Uncle Ben's Brown rice and just followed the microwave directions. For a whole box I think it was 11 min. which is 7 servings. I liked it better then the white rice. :D

Jul 22, 2005
  3. PamperedGinger

PamperedGinger Advanced Member

I've also done minute rice. Works perfect every time. You can also do the rice that has to be browned in the skillet first....just brown it in the skillet before you put in in the rice cooker.

4. kitchenqueen

kitchenqueen Member

Yum!

Thank you so much for the tips. I tried it lastnight and it was GREAT! I used chicken broth instead of water (I do this too when I cook noodles for pasta salads) which really helped add some flavor. Then I added some peas and carrots too! We had it with grilled chicken. It was excellent and quite healthy I might add! :D

Jul 23, 2005
  5. paydaymom

paydaymom Member

sounds good, did you add the peas and carrots while you cooked the rice or afterwards?

Jul 25, 2005
  6. kitchenqueen

kitchenqueen Member

They were frozen - so I thought I'd take a chance and throw them in there with the rice. I figured if they didn't turn out, I would give it to my dogs :rolleyes: and try the rice again without the veggies. It's fun to experiment every now and then! You just need to have a plan B! ;)

Jul 25, 2005
  7. danger girl

danger girl Guest

Brown Rice

If you are talking about the rice with the hull still on (which is what I think of when you say brown rice) I have done it with 2 parts liquid to 1 part rice. Microwave on high for 10 minutes, then on 50% for about 20 minutes. It comes out great.

Aug 1, 2005
  8. Customer Question

I have a customer who typically uses the micro cooker to cook rice... she is wanting to know if the rice cooker is a truly superior product. Can you guys give me some insight?? If so, in what ways is it better??

Aug 9, 2005
  9. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

No boil-overs for one! It makes the rice perfect every time! Just follow the microwave instructions on the rice bag. You can use it for pasta dishes that have microwave instructions.

You can also make a cake in it! See another thread under product tips!! I made it today and it was absolutely perfect!!

Aug 9, 2005
  10. rwesterpchef

rwesterpchef Advanced Member

I have also been using my rice cooker PLUS (love the plus!) to steam my frozen veggies and to steam tamales. I buy about 5 dozen at a time fresh from a lady, but cannot eat them before they spoil, so freeze them. Take them frozen, put them in the RC+ for about 4 minutes...shake container...2 more minutes, and get perfect tamales afterwards!

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted