• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Aunt's Rice Struggles: Can the Rice Cooker Plus Help?

In summary, my aunt is going to buy the Rice Cooker Plus because she says that she can never get rice to cook well in the cookware. She said that every time, the rice never cooks all the way, comes out hard or takes way too long (like an extra 30 minutes for regular rice). Anyone else run into these problems? I'm glad that she wants to buy the Rice Cooker Plus and am hoping that this helps her issue but didn't know if anyone had good tips about cooking rice in cookware.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
My aunt is going to buy the Rice Cooker Plus because she says that she can never get rice to cook well in the cookware. I normally make Uncle Ben's Instant Rice in the 2 qt pot and have never had a problem except that it seems to take a little bit longer for the water to absorb. She said that every time, the rice never cooks all the way, comes out hard or takes way too long (like an extra 30 minutes for regular rice). Anyone else run into these problems? I'm glad that she wants to buy the Rice Cooker Plus and am hoping that this helps her issue but didn't know if anyone had good tips about cooking rice in cookware.

Probably not what you are looking for but I cook brown rice in the batter bowl. (microwave)2.25 c of water
1c brown rice
5 minutes on high
30 minutes on 50% power I started doing this after the magic smoke escaped from my rice cooker (which never worked properly anyways). And it works great. I'm contemplating the rice cooker plus - but the batter bowl is working so well - and is good for so many other things.
ZK

I cook rice in (non-PC) good quality stainless cookware. Here is my method, I find it pretty fool proof.

First, I always use basmati rice, it comes out less sticky and starchy. (ETA: You can buy a huge sack pretty cheaply at Sam's Club, and it lasts for ages.)

Heat 1/2 to 1 tsp of oil (olive, canola, whatever) in your pan, until it is quite hot. Add your rice, measured in cups. You only need enough oil that when stirred really well each grain is coated thinly, it shouldn't look greasy, just a little shiny. I probably use about 1/2 tsp oil for 1 cup rice. Cook the rice on a high heat, while stirring, until some of it starts to become whiteish.

In the meantime boil some water in a tea kettle. Add double the volume of boiling water to the rice (ie 2 cups water to 1 cup rice). It will sizzle alot and some steam will come off. Stir the rice, put the lid on, reduce the heat to a simmer and leave for let cook for 12mins. DO NOT remove the lid or stir for this time (or at least for the first 10 mins, or the rice grains will break open and get starchy). This is where cookware with glass lids comes in handy - you can see whether you are simmering it gently or boiling it, and it helps you to resist taking off the lid for a quick peek!

After 12 mins, take off the lid and fluff the rice with a spoon or fork. The rice will have absorbed all of the water and be cooked perfectly. If alot of steam comes off when you add the water, you can add a tiny bit more water after about 10 mins of cooking, if it looks like all the water has gone. If the rice sticks to the bottom of the pan after 12 mins, you can also add a tiny bit of water then, put the lid on and wait a minute, and it will be fine.

Hope this helps. It sounds complicated, but really isn't!

I also sometimes add some spices to the oil depending on what I am serving the rice with. A little cumin, cloves and cinnamon is great for when serving with indian food. Yum!

Last edited:
ZippyKitty said:
Probably not what you are looking for but I cook brown rice in the batter bowl. (microwave)

2.25 c of water
1c brown rice
5 minutes on high
30 minutes on 50% power

I started doing this after the magic smoke escaped from my rice cooker (which never worked properly anyways). And it works great.

I'm contemplating the rice cooker plus - but the batter bowl is working so well - and is good for so many other things.
ZK

Thank you for posting this!!! I would NEVER thought to use my batter bowl!!! :D :D

I always (until the last time) follow the directions on the use and care for the rice cooker. This is the ONLY way I can get rice to come out right.

last time I went to make rice I thought hey I remember how to do it so didn't check the directions.... I reversed the portions and totally burnt the rice and melted my cooker! Waaaa.... Thank goodness for KE month! LOL

I also LOVE the RC for doing baked potatoed. This is the ONLY way I will eat nuked baked potatoes. They steam wonderfully with no shriveling!

I just used my Rice Cooker Plus for the first time and loved it! I made brown rice. And my recent host gave me the tip to use more water than what's called for and go a little extra time with it unless you like drier, more crispy rice. It worked awesome! My kids even loved it. I just added some butter and salt before cooking and it was good.

Sorry, don't have any tips for cooking it with cookware though. I've never had any problems with white rice...brown rice, on the other hand, has never turned out for me in cookware.

Thanks for the ideas! I know if I pass on other recipes that can be made in it, she'll be happy. Guess I get to go searching now for great recipes.

Hello there! I completely understand your aunt's struggles with cooking rice in traditional cookware. It can definitely be a challenge to get it just right. I'm so glad she is considering the Rice Cooker Plus, as it is a game changer when it comes to cooking rice perfectly every time.I have personally used the Rice Cooker Plus and have had great success with it. It's so easy to use and the rice always comes out fluffy and cooked to perfection. Plus, it's so versatile and can be used for other dishes as well.As for tips on cooking rice in traditional cookware, I would recommend using a 1:2 ratio of rice to water and bringing it to a boil before reducing the heat and letting it simmer for 18 minutes. Also, make sure to let it sit for a few minutes before fluffing it with a fork.But honestly, the Rice Cooker Plus takes all the guesswork out of cooking rice and I highly recommend it to anyone who struggles with getting it just right. I hope your aunt enjoys it as much as I do! Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy cooking!

1. Can the Rice Cooker Plus cook all types of rice?

Yes, the Rice Cooker Plus can cook all types of rice, including white, brown, jasmine, basmati, and more.

2. How much rice can the Rice Cooker Plus hold?

The Rice Cooker Plus has a capacity of 3 cups of uncooked rice, which yields about 6 cups of cooked rice.

3. Is it easy to clean the Rice Cooker Plus?

Yes, the Rice Cooker Plus is designed with a non-stick interior and dishwasher-safe parts, making it easy to clean and maintain.

4. How long does it take for the Rice Cooker Plus to cook rice?

The cooking time varies depending on the type of rice and the amount being cooked, but on average, it takes about 20 minutes for white rice and 45 minutes for brown rice.

5. Can I use the Rice Cooker Plus for other dishes besides rice?

Yes, the Rice Cooker Plus can also be used to cook other grains, such as quinoa or couscous, as well as soups, stews, and even desserts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kkimpinski
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • freetofly06
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pjpamchef
  • NewDirectorKaren