• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rice Cookers: Cooking Time & Recipes

In summary, the conversation revolves around a lady who called the speaker after finding their catalog in a doctor's office. She bought a rice cooker from someone else and wants the speaker to come over and teach her how to use it. The lady is concerned because it takes over 10 minutes to cook and she wonders if this is normal. The speaker doesn't have a rice cooker but offers to gather information and call the lady back on Saturday. They also mention that the rice recipe they have takes 20 minutes and there are other recipes available for the rice cooker. The speaker also suggests using the rice cooker for other dishes like mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. They mention a booklet with recipes for the rice cooker and ask for help with a recipe for
tdawson
Hi, I got a call today from a lady who found my catalog in Drs. office. She bought a rice cooker from someone else. She wants me to come over a teach her how to use it. She says that it is taking over 10 minutes to cook and she migh as well do it on the stove top if it is going to take that long. I do not have one, so I do not know how they perform. Is 10 minutes normal?
Also if anyone has any recipes other than white rice I would love it! I told her I would gather as much info as I could and call her back on Saterday.
Thank You in advance for your time,
Tandy

the rice recipe I have takes 20 mins which is as long as the regular rice recipe but the really nice thing about the rice cooker is you dont have the boil over.

I can't help you with the rice question because I've never used mine for rice!! I use it for the "plus"!

I am attaching a couple of documents for the rice cooker. I did NOT come up with these. I either found them on here or another group I'm on. Sorry I don't remember the original author to give them credit.

Attachments

• Rice_Cooker_Booklet[1].doc
    45 KB · Views: 205
  • Rice cooker New Owner.doc
    76.5 KB · Views: 193
I can't help you with the rice question because I've never made rice in mine!! I use it for the "plus"!

Here is a document that has several different recipes. I did not come up with it. I found it either on here or another group I'm on. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• Rice_Cooker_Booklet[1].doc
    45 KB · Views: 320
Also if you got to the top task bar and click on Files you can then type in "rice cooker" and a whole bunch of neat stuff comes up. Best wishes at turning this into a positive and profitable life long client relationship! I guess those dropped off catalogs do work!

It does take 10 minutes for 6 servings, but that is from start to finish. It takes a lot longer for rice to come to a boil then wait until all the water is absorbed (on the stovetop) Plus the rice cooker plus is so easy to clean. plus: Who wants to watch the water boil, so you don't evaporate before dumping the rice in? I can put the rice in the microwave and finish the rest of my dinner, without heating up the kitchen with a stovetop.

Jennie4PC said:
the rice recipe I have takes 20 mins which is as long as the regular rice recipe but the really nice thing about the rice cooker is you dont have the boil over.
Not that is matters now, but in the summer, you're not heating up the kitchen with the stove. Sell her on the other benefits like making quick easy mashed potatoes in pot, cooking mac & cheese (don't use lid for this), a micro-cake etc. The booklet will help her think outside the box.

Also, from your post it sounds like she will complain about the length of time it takes to cook rice...rice, pasta, grits, etc all have certain cooking times and no one can make water boil faster so rice will not cook quicker than someone else. If she wants it that fast she needs to use minute rice.

Oh yeah, do you know how to use it? Be sure to read the use and care online so you'll have a customer for life and she'll sing your praises! :sing:

I seriously couldn't live without my rice cooker plus. I use it everyday!!

Good timing for this thread! I have a past host that wanted to know if there was a cookbook that came with the rice cooker - now I can send her this booklet!

The only problem is that the amounts for the recipe for Creamy Rice Pudding aren't showing up when I downloaded it - can anyone tell me what the recipe says?

I would really appreciate it - then I could forward it to her!

Thanks!

pamperedval said:
Good timing for this thread! I have a past host that wanted to know if there was a cookbook that came with the rice cooker - now I can send her this booklet!

The only problem is that the amounts for the recipe for Creamy Rice Pudding aren't showing up when I downloaded it - can anyone tell me what the recipe says?

I would really appreciate it - then I could forward it to her!

Thanks!
I don't have my recipe compiled in a nice booklet, but I think they are the same...hope this helps!

Attachments

• Rice Cooker.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 373
Missy,

You have the same recipe in there - problem is the ingredient amounts aren't showing up on yours either! I am on a Mac and I don't know if that is the problem - but a lot of times if there are fractions (i.e. 1/2 tsp) I just get "_ tsp" when I open documents.

Is there any way you could open it and jot down the amounts for me - there's only about 4 ingredients or so - I appreciate it!!

Creamy Rice Pudding:
¾ cup uncooked long grain white rice
½ tsp Pantry Korintji Cinnamon
2 ½ cups water
1 cup half and half
¼ tsp salt
½ cup raisins (optional)
1 pkg vanilla instant pudding
1 cup milk1. Combine rice, water and salt in Rice Cooker Plus. Cover and microwave for
15 minutes on medium and 10 minutes on high. Allow rice to stand for 5
minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in Small Batter Bowl, combine milk, half and half, pudding mix
and cinnamon; whisk until smooth and beginning to thicken using Stainless
Steel Whisk.
3. Remove cooker from microwave. Carefully remove lids, lifting away from
you. Add pudding mixture and raisins, if desired; mix well using Classic
Scraper. ENJOY!!!! I think it's served better hot, but try it both ways! Makes 8 servings.Are they showing up here for you?

pamperedval said:
Missy,

You have the same recipe in there - problem is the ingredient amounts aren't showing up on yours either! I am on a Mac and I don't know if that is the problem - but a lot of times if there are fractions (i.e. 1/2 tsp) I just get "_ tsp" when I open documents.

Is there any way you could open it and jot down the amounts for me - there's only about 4 ingredients or so - I appreciate it!!
The fractions thing has to do with how they're inserted by some programs, specifically the Windows version of Word. It uses a font that isn't always on other (non-Windows) computers. The way around that (for the person creating the document) is to go to Tools> AutoCorrect> AutoFormat as you type, and UNCHECK the "Fractions with fraction character" box.

PS: Macs rule! :D

Lynda -

Thanks so much! I can see it in your post...

And Ann - thanks for explaining that - it is so frustrating to always open documents and never be able to know what the recipe is calling for!! If not for that (and the fact that Pampered Partner doesn't work on it) I love my Mac!!

As I'm sure posts above have noted, the rice cooker plus doesn't speed up the process for rice, but it does make it perfect every time...WITHOUT threat of boil over mess, scorching, etc. I love mine, sell tons....

I want to thank everyone for your help. Thanks to your great input and advice, I was able to feel confident when I returned her call.
I assured her that she was using the product properly, it just takes 20 minutes for perfect rice. I forwarded the great recipes you ladies provided.
She and her friends have been on the search for a local consultant. Guess what, she told me that January would be a slow month for me, and she wanted to return my kindness by booking a party in January. She wanted to do it the first week, becuase most of her friends hostess benefits expired in Febuary. She felt confident that she would have several people want to book later in January. Or Febuary (double points here I come:)
I hope that all made sense, My head is still spinning.
Thanks again you guys, I give you the credit.
Tandy

One other thing I use mine for... macaroni (as in mac n cheese)--cooks it perfectly in the microwave, I mix it up for the kids right in the cooker, no heating up the stove or messing with pans, and I make half a box in 6 minutes (whole box is more like 9 minutes). I also love the no boil over... I am at high altitude and that is a huge problem for me with stove top cooking. PLus you put it in the microwave and walk away for 20 minutes, versus babysitting a pot that will boil over or run dry.

Great, now another item I need to add to my "must have" list!! Gotta keep earning those PC bucks!!

I adore my rice cooker! This is one of my "Must Haves".

Not to ask a stupid question...I have only used the Rice Cooker for the cakes.

I see that it was mentioned to use the Rice Cooker for mac n cheese. Do you add water and the uncooked noodles and just heat in the micro for 9 minutes?

What are the "directions" for some of the other items mentioned in the booklet: ramen noodles, pasta roni mixes, rice a roni...

Thanks!

At least three times a week I make ramen noodles in it. I add everything together, then I micro for 8 minutes (because I like the noodles to soak up some of the juices). I started making it in the rice cooker because I can't tell you the number of times I forgot I put water on the stove to boil for ramen noodles. LOL

1. How long does it take to cook rice in a rice cooker?

The cooking time for rice in a rice cooker can vary depending on the type and amount of rice being cooked. On average, it takes about 20 minutes for white rice and 40 minutes for brown rice. However, some rice cookers have different settings for different types of rice, so it's best to check the manual for specific cooking times.

2. Can I cook other grains besides rice in a rice cooker?

Yes, most rice cookers can also be used to cook other grains such as quinoa, couscous, and even oatmeal. Just follow the recommended cooking times for each type of grain and adjust the water ratio accordingly.

3. Do I need to rinse the rice before cooking it in a rice cooker?

It is recommended to rinse the rice before cooking it in a rice cooker. This helps remove any excess starch or debris that may affect the texture and taste of the rice. However, some rice cookers have a built-in rinse function that eliminates this step.

4. What is the ideal water to rice ratio for cooking rice in a rice cooker?

The general rule of thumb is to use 1 cup of water for every 1 cup of rice. However, this may vary depending on the type of rice and personal preference. It's best to follow the recommended ratios in the rice cooker's manual for best results.

5. Can I cook other dishes besides rice in a rice cooker?

Yes, some rice cookers come with additional functions that allow you to cook other dishes such as soups, stews, and even desserts. However, it's important to note that not all rice cookers are suitable for cooking these dishes, so it's best to check the manual before attempting to do so.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• minirottie
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
purpleluvs3
  • sassypip
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • wadesgirl